HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Avs. 9pm. Pepsi Center 12.17.2011

Old
12-17-2011, 11:07 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
he played hard, i'll say that much. i loved seeing him finish checks. a very surprising, very welcome sight. may it continue.
He can miss the net all he wants if he keeps trying to cream the dman in the corner right afterwards. Even if missed the check, I like the effort. He is playing better under Dale.

Dale lost but it seems priority to cut back the goals against. It didnt matter we were facing CO and the rest of the league lights them up, he had to cut the goals against. It's the same thing Bruce did exactly a year ago and largely received praise for it.

These long range shots are killing us, and us rarely hitting the side of the barn on our quality chances.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:08 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Caps leading scorers in dec...Carlson and then Wideman. Soo Backstrom fanboys...I love Nicky but he needs to earn his contrat too...not rely on others...think more blackhawks game winners and Montreal playoff hat tricks.
backstrom HAS been earning his money this year. he is one of the few players i can unequivocally say that about.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
No it was his fault. And it's now DH's fault. They both have implemented a system that not only does not play toward the strength of the team, but one that plays toward its weakness. I'm starting to think its more GMGM than the coaches as they both were known as offensive coaches, and then all of a sudden are trying to be defensive minded coaches. Either way it's idiotic and I'm sick of it. I truly believe this team can still be fixed though. IMO we just need two more top 6 forwards to roll with something like:

Bourque-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Ruutu-Johansson-Semin
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Brouwer

Hamrlik-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Orlov

Brouwer on the 4th line?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:13 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

i am going to try hard to follow the advice i just gave my 8-year-old, who went to bed in tears after the loss.

i told him, 'just forget about them till they start winning again. then you can start paying attention again.'

i'm going to let Dale get down to work, and i'm going to check in again when they string together a couple W's. otherwise it's just too aggravating and infuriating and ultimately depressing.

hopefully the turnaround happens before we see them here in l.a. on jan. 9. i already plunked down a lot of cash for 4 good tix to that one.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Brouwer on the 4th line?
With those lines, I think he'd take Wards place, but he's not playing any better than a 3rd liner either..

Last edited by Langway: 12-17-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Capathetic

Quote:
backstrom HAS been earning his money this year. he is one of the few players i can unequivocally say that about.
Where was he tonight against one of the worst teams in the league? Wasnt even the best swede on the ice...Landeskog was.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:20 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:

i told him, 'just forget about them till they start winning again. then you can start paying attention again.'

i'm going to let Dale get down to work, and i'm going to check in again when they string together a couple W's. otherwise it's just too aggravating and infuriating and ultimately depressing.
You are not much of a fan then.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:22 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
You are not much of a fan then.
i have been living and dying with the caps since their first season. i was just trying to make my kid feel better.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:23 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Where was he tonight against one of the worst teams in the league? Wasnt even the best swede on the ice...Landeskog was.

He was doing fine?
Stickhandling like Datsyuk just like every other game...

Old
12-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

I seriously don't see any heart anymore and its very saddening. I want these guys, this team as it is to succeed so badly. But its just like no one cares when you see some faces. I really want to believe and its a very good possibility, they are rock bottom in confidence and that's all it is. Something major needs to happen and I can't pin point what that might be.. Besides a possible major trade and a explosive night at home.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Does anyone wonder if this team meshed well, do the players all get along well, is it a right group in and out of the locker room? Could it be some of the guys are just "guys you see at the office" types, so they aren't gelling well on the ice like they could be?

Old
12-17-2011, 11:42 PM
Capathetic

Quote:
He was doing fine?
Stickhandling like Datsyuk just like every other game...
The same Datsyuk whos team hung an 8 spot on La today..while we couldnt beat a Bottom feeder? Backstrom isnt the worst cap right now..but hes not exactly a gamebreaker either lately.

Old
12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Sorry double post

Last edited by Blades of steel: 12-17-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: double post
Old
12-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
The same Datsyuk whos team hung an 8 spot on La today..while we couldnt beat a Bottom feeder? Backstrom isnt the worst cap right now..but hes not exactly a gamebreaker either lately.

What does that have to do with stickhandling?

Old
12-18-2011, 12:07 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
What does that have to do with stickhandling?
What does stick handling alone have to do with winning games? Why dont we just sign that stupid 8 year old who can Do the Mike Legg move on youtube?

Great...some caps players can still do certain things well..I get it Laich doesnt score goals...were still losing. It would be alot different if this team hadnt teased us the last few years with at times dominant play with the same core group. They dont look like professionals right now..and just got beat by the youngest team in the league with their backup goalie that we have torched several times before.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
What does stick handling alone have to do with winning games? Why dont we just sign that stupid 8 year old who can Do the Mike Legg move on youtube?

Great...some caps players can still do certain things well..I get it Laich doesnt score goals...were still losing. It would be alot different if this team hadnt teased us the last few years with at times dominant play with the same core group. They dont look like professionals right now..and just got beat by the youngest team in the league with their backup goalie that we have torched several times before.

Im just saying, backstrom was looking fine out there.

Backstrom and Laich are literally the least of our problems right now, they're doing their jobs just fine.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:33 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:
Brouwer on the 4th line?
He's more of what we have. As said before 21=42=20=25=26=15=22. Plus you need depth. You can't expect to have scrubs on yre fourth line if you want to ice a good roster. And it looks like we really need some more skill in our top 6. Plus, it really doesn't matter if he is on the fourth line since Hunter just rolls them evenly the whole game anyway

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:42 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Dale lost but it seems priority to cut back the goals against. It didnt matter we were facing CO and the rest of the league lights them up, he had to cut the goals against. It's the same thing Bruce did exactly a year ago and largely received praise for it. .
being fair, bruce got little praise for anything by last season. if there was praise it was only after they won and won consistantly.

the long range shots are really not the issue. the first goal was a fluke and the second goal was a traffic goal that hits a body in front 90% of the time and is harmless. even with that those were the only two goals against. if you cant score two goals in nhl games, you dont win. the 1-0 game previous was just about their quota for the year. you certainly dont repeat those things in the next game.

maybe we are now facing that interesting situation. bruce's team won playing the wrong way. dale's team is losing playing more like the right way. which is better?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Im just saying, backstrom was looking fine out there.

Backstrom and Laich are literally the least of our problems right now, they're doing their jobs just fine.
We lost and cant ****ing score...Good job losers.

I know the goals werent directly his fault..but Laich -2 on the night. For a non goal scorer shutdown role he was on ice for both and thats not helping us win.

Last edited by Capathetic: 12-18-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old
12-18-2011, 12:52 AM
Capitlols

The way this team is headed we'd be lucky to get by the 1st round, let alone make the playoffs. Would not be surprised if they cleaned house at seasons end, including Ovechkin.

I'll keep watching hoping I'm wrong.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
We lost and cant ****ing score...Good job losers.

I know the goals werent directly his fault..but Laich -2 on the night. For a non goal scorer shutdown role he was on ice for both and thats not helping us win.

Im not even going to continue arguing/debating/whatever with you.
I don't know if you were watching the game or looking at the stat sheet, but you're acting like the latter.

Old
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
txpd

backstrom's main job is creating offense. i saw one shot on the board for the first half of a 3rd period down a goal. the caps have scored 1 goal in three straight games, iirc. how is that doing his job?

on the other hand banging on laich for a -2 when 2 prayers went in the net is taking harsh too far. if you want to critize him, he is also one of the top 5 or 6 scorers on the team. where has his offense been?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
No it was his fault. And it's now DH's fault. They both have implemented a system that not only does not play toward the strength of the team, but one that plays toward its weakness. I'm starting to think its more GMGM than the coaches as they both were known as offensive coaches, and then all of a sudden are trying to be defensive minded coaches. Either way it's idiotic and I'm sick of it. I truly believe this team can still be fixed though. IMO we just need two more top 6 forwards to roll with something like:

Bourque-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Ruutu-Johansson-Semin
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Hendricks-Halpern-Brouwer

Hamrlik-Green
Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Orlov
Bruce was not the problem at all buddy. The all out offence play wasn't working. Then he goes out and changes the team philosophy to defence and they still finish first. He did some incredible things as coach which means there is a problem with the roster. Not sure why they would hire a newb coach. I can't believe a rebuild is even being considered when the last three seasons this team has finished 2nd, 1st, and 1st. Pretty sad but a rebuild may be in order and dare I say it, will Ovechkin want out soon?

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:05 AM
Dream Big

We need the big T.
Can someone embed for me? I still can't do this. Thanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK9F...layer_embedded

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:12 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Same team, different coach. Some of us predicted this BS.

This team is treading on Ottawa Sens territory.....reminds me of the 2006 Sens minus the Cup finals trip. This is about to be blown up and we can all thank GMGM.

FIRE MCPHEE...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote