HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Avs. 9pm. Pepsi Center 12.17.2011

Old
12-18-2011, 01:18 AM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
being fair, bruce got little praise for anything by last season. if there was praise it was only after they won and won consistantly.

the long range shots are really not the issue. the first goal was a fluke and the second goal was a traffic goal that hits a body in front 90% of the time and is harmless. even with that those were the only two goals against. if you cant score two goals in nhl games, you dont win. the 1-0 game previous was just about their quota for the year. you certainly dont repeat those things in the next game.

maybe we are now facing that interesting situation. bruce's team won playing the wrong way. dale's team is losing playing more like the right way. which is better?
Dale's team is 4-5. Yes, a losing record, but at least three of those wins were decisive and only one of those losses was by more than one goal. In the prior 9 games, they were 3-5-1 with 4 losses by at least 3 goals. This team is bad, but they were worse before. They are improving, but it's still two steps forward and one step back. The game in PEG on Thursday was maybe their best of the season in terms of overall play.

What's distressing to me is to see that Ovie played SO well in the wins against Ott and TML but has not had that jump since. Gotta wonder if the collision with Semin really hurt him. Additionally, the PP is ridiculously incompetent. I don't get that.

I am disappointed in this loss, especially with FLA winning yesterday and PEG winning today, but I don't agree with those who say this roster can't play DH's system. It's just time and will. They still have the former; the latter remains a real question.

Edit for Nog-induced typos.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Capitlols

Among other concerns, road games have to be at the top of the list. They just seem to be a different team on the road; no intensity, no structure, no mental toughness. If we could manage to just be .500 on the road, we wouldn't be in too bad shape.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
The same Datsyuk whos team hung an 8 spot on La today..while we couldnt beat a Bottom feeder? Backstrom isnt the worst cap right now..but hes not exactly a gamebreaker either lately.
Colorado is one point behind LA in the standings...

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:44 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

It was funny enough that people were gushing over the Jets win two nights ago. That people still are is just shake head territory. They got dominated in the 1st and were offensively incompetant throughout that game. If you're looking for a best game of the season, it came in the first seven.

Dale would do better to let them play "simpleton" pond hockey at this point. Someone might as well have fun.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:55 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Colorado is one point behind LA in the standings...
But I feel they are under acheiving in some capacity...just like I dont think the ducks will be behind them too much longer. La's problem with me is the insane amount of hype they get. Quick is suposedly an awesome goalie and he got chased and dont get started on jesus doughty and kopitar.

Det is an elite team..our big win against them is seeming more like a fluke..id love to see how we stack up against them now...I think we all know it wont be pretty. On paper we seem to have a better team than the wings...yet they are not only finding ways to win..but pretty much destroying teams lately. I want those caps to come back and know that have it in them.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:56 AM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Still not even a little worried.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Among other concerns, road games have to be at the top of the list. They just seem to be a different team on the road; no intensity, no structure, no mental toughness. If we could manage to just be .500 on the road, we wouldn't be in too bad shape.
Flyers just lit us up in dc without their best two players tho.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Im not even going to continue arguing/debating/whatever with you.
I don't know if you were watching the game or looking at the stat sheet, but you're acting like the latter.
I watched it...u know it based on me posting throughout the contest.

I said they werent directly his fault...but still just as much on him than anyone else except maybe nuevy. He still didnt do enough to help us beat a bad avalanche team full of kids and one that most teams beat.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Flyers just lit us up in dc without their best two players tho.
They've been fine at home, less Ovechkin.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:11 AM
Capathetic

Quote:
backstrom's main job is creating offense. i saw one shot on the board for the first half of a 3rd period down a goal. the caps have scored 1 goal in three straight games, iirc. how is that doing his job?

on the other hand banging on laich for a -2 when 2 prayers went in the net is taking harsh too far. if you want to critize him, he is also one of the top 5 or 6 scorers on the team. where has his offense been?
Before I get acused of not watching the games Im going to say Laich is not an ideal shutdown player. Ive seen several times over the years him getting beat for goals. One example that really bugs me if any of you remember the last buffalo game. Luke Adam abused him along the boards because mr shutdown role tried to guess Adam was taking the puck to the point...boom he put on a spin move leaving Laich in the dust and buries it top shelf..and yeah Luke Adam is a rookie.A good one but still you would figure if hes playing so well shutting down the oposition..he wouldnt have lost his jock on that play. 4.5 to get highlight reel goals scored on you.

Ill admit the first goal was a prayer..the second is partly a result that he and his awesome shutdown line struggle to get out of their own zone.

Old
12-18-2011, 03:38 AM
Brave Sir Robin

This team is in dire need of a tactician as head coach. Four years of BB made our core tactically retarded. There is no cohesion, no team chemistry. Our players genuinely don't know what to do with the puck. The passing is awful, movement without the puck is even worse. Notice how bad we are at executing odd man rushes. That's no coincidence. Ineffective PP is also no coincidence. How many tic-tac-toe plays have you seen from the PP unit as of late?

We can't enter the offensive zone without a dump in, nor can we exit our zone without turning it over. Actually, most of our offense is along the boards. On open ice all we do is turn the puck over. So every time we play a team that pinches us hard along the boards, our offense goes limp.

And of course if all that wasn't bad enough, we currently have perhaps the worst goalie tandem in the league.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:45 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

how hurting is this offense? zero ****ing creativity down low in opening up seems and spaces

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:49 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Sounds so elementary, but this team needs to watch some vids from 2008 to see what they were doing right to get their mojo back in the offensive department.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
1 goal against the AVS. the ****ing avs.

im not sure which is the easiest thing to do in the entire NHL: beat neuvirth with an unthinkably bad wrister, or rub marcus johansson out of a play along the boards like he's an 11-year-old girl.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:28 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
It was funny enough that people were gushing over the Jets win two nights ago. That people still are is just shake head territory. They got dominated in the 1st and were offensively incompetant throughout that game. If you're looking for a best game of the season, it came in the first seven.

Dale would do better to let them play "simpleton" pond hockey at this point. Someone might as well have fun.
the difference between thursday night and saturday night was two freak or lucky or soft goals got past neuvirth. neither goal was really a result of a breakdown. two goals against should be good enough to win. yet, the only goals were a couple of leaky goals going the other way.

i am entertained by the posters that used to bash boudreau for anything and seem now to be looking for anything positive to say now that he is gone.

i was thinking there used to be some that said a monkey could coach this team to a first place regular season finish.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:30 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Sounds so elementary, but this team needs to watch some vids from 2008 to see what they were doing right to get their mojo back in the offensive department.
you mean that no structure, no system, immature loser hockey under boudreau?

Old
12-18-2011, 07:50 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Only you would take the monkey comment literally, and quote it a year later. Ironically, the longer it took to replace Bruce, the longer it will take to correct the problems that perpetuated under his tenure. Bad habits are harder to break the longer they have been in place. Bruce should have been replaced after Montreal or Tampa. Make no mistake, George is the architect. Only by trying new coaches can one start to single out the GM.

Fixed on posters that wanted change ignores the elephant in the room. George McPhee. i am entertained by the posters that used to defend boudreau for anything said negative against him, and seem now to be looking for anything negative to say now that Bruce is gone. You got to give Dale a month maybe the season, before continuing the Teflon George Parade. This team was a mess WITH Bruce at the helm.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:04 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Can somebody please fix the powerplay? Please put Carlson and Wideman on the points instead of a forward. Fixing the PP could help this team a bunch. I'd even prefer Orlov at the point.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
The way this team is headed we'd be lucky to get by the 1st round, let alone make the playoffs. Would not be surprised if they cleaned house at seasons end, including Ovechkin.
It gets to that point and they're a joke of a franchise if McPhee still has a job. Arguably nearly that point as-is.

If they continue to struggle offensively it will look more and more that McPhee simply lucked into Boudreau and whatever results were accomplished.

Last edited by Langway: 12-18-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:16 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

How's old Bruce doing out in Anaheim? Uhm.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:21 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Only you would take the monkey comment literally.
literally? where did i suggest that chim chim would have been a candidate for coach?
the suggestion was that any coach other than hanlon....or any decent coach could have done what boudreau did.

are you saying that there are not many here that thought the only or the main problem with this team was boudreau and his slack and lacking coaching ability?

Old
12-18-2011, 08:22 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveng7x View Post
How's old Bruce doing out in Anaheim? Uhm.
no better than the cup winning coach that he replaced. of course thats not the point.
i dont know. were ducks fans saying they have had a cup level team in recent years that would have won
or got closer had they just had a decent coach?

Old
12-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
no better than the cup winning coach that he replaced. of course thats not the point.
i dont know. were ducks fans saying they have had a cup level team in recent years that would have won
or got closer had they just had a decent coach?
I seem to remember reading on the main boards that the ducks were the team to make that next jump in the off season. Maybe i'm mistaken. All I know Is they look like the caps at times from what limited game play I've seen. Fans complaining about holes in the defense and lost in their own zone that sounds really familiar. but they are putting up more shots then the caps were it seems, and no I haven't watched every move the ducks have made it seems they're putting up more goals also.
also noticed that perry scored 2 goals last night that would be leaps and bounds if one of our star players do that.

Old
12-18-2011, 08:49 AM
txpd

ok....boudreau sucks. he can't coach. i will stipulate. he's in anaheim ruining them further. for the caps, the anchor is gone. the chains have been removed. they have a real coach with a real system. eureka. 3 goals in 3 games.

now...its not the coaching its the players and the management that assembled these players. maybe if the team was so flawed, it was the previous coaching the overproduced them.

Old
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
ok....boudreau sucks. he can't coach. i will stipulate. he's in anaheim ruining them further. for the caps, the anchor is gone. the chains have been removed. they have a real coach with a real system. eureka. 3 goals in 3 games.

now...its not the coaching its the players and the management that assembled these players. maybe if the team was so flawed, it was the previous coaching the overproduced them.
I never once said that bruce could not coach but what has he done in anaheim absolutely nothing different than he did here in washington as of late. fans complaining about not knowing what system there is going on the ice being trapped in the their zone, etc. but yet some of their top guns are producing. yes the chains are unleashed the caps only score 1 goal a game but we are only losing by 1 goal goal a game, some more tweaks MAY fix this issue. and would you rather stand pat and not make a trade to try to improve? the caps need a clear direction of improvement or to fail for nail