HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2012, 08:58 AM
zz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Just wait until he stops wanting to play, again. Guys like Turris are very selfish. They pout if things don't go their way.
Eh, I think you're just bitter. As disgusted as I am, I never had a problem with his work ethic. I fully expect Turris to grow quickly into a 60 point player.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Eh, I think you're just bitter. As disgusted as I am, I never had a problem with his work ethic. I fully expect Turris to grow quickly into a 60 point player.
I'm not bitter at all with Turris. Watching him when he came back to the team he just didn't seem like he wanted to play. I would have made that trade at any time over the past year. Rumblad and a second seems to me to be fair value or better.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
hbk

In Phoenix Turris was always going to be compared against the expectation of being a 1st line elite center.

In Ottawa, Turris has an expectation of being a solid 2nd line Center.

Turris owes a huge level of gratitude to Tippett for the strength of his defensive game. He is truly evolving his two way game.

Turris has had a few 2nd assist off of someone's skate type assists in Ottawa but the points all count the same and as the points start to ring up so does Turris's confidence. He's already skating better towards open ice and starting to show some playmaking abilities. I still don't think he'll ever be the player the Coyotes wanted when they drafted him but he is still going to be a solid player for Ottawa.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
It does suck that he is averaging .66 ppg, which makes me wonder about the system he is in with Ottawa, or if he really was tanking it. I am surprised that he has more assists than goals, as his calling card was a great release on his shot, but it will probably be 2-3 years before a definitive winner/loser (if any) is identified in this deal....

Old
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
It does suck that he is averaging .66 ppg, which makes me wonder about the system he is in with Ottawa, or if he really was tanking it. I am surprised that he has more assists than goals, as his calling card was a great release on his shot, but it will probably be 2-3 years before a definitive winner/loser (if any) is identified in this deal....
A shot like that can get you a lot of assists with the right linemates. It's so quick and deceptive that an unsuspecting goalie could let up some juicy rebounds.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
A shot like that can get you a lot of assists with the right linemates. It's so quick and deceptive that an unsuspecting goalie could let up some juicy rebounds.
truthfully that's not really how he's generating assists. He's putting up points playing with some other hungry talented offensive players and a proven all-star talent in Alfredsson some nights. The offensive depth on forward in Ottawa is good and rather than being a focal point, Turris is allowed to be a complimentary player in MacLean's system. The checking lines against are also a lot different when you have Spezza as the #1 C as well.

Turris is generating offense now. I don't believe for one second that he's not going to go through droughts. Remove the last 2 games and he had something like 1 point in his previous 4 games. He's far from a finished product and I wouldn't call him proven just yet. Sens fans still have some growing pains to endure with Turris.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I've wasted enough time on the entitled spoiled kid up to the day his was traded, but I'm willing to bet his icetime is the reason for his uptick in scoring. I'm sure the same thing would have happened if he was still here with the injuries to Hanzal and Gordon.

Comparing points now is comparing apples to oranges. The key will be when he is once again 'subjected' to an excellent coach who makes their players earn ice time for the players own benefit. Will he continue to suceed, or seek a new destination where he thinks he can get an easier ride.

His chosen career path from his decision to stay in BC with Burnaby, to when he initiated signing his pro contract too early, finalized by his demands to avoid Tippett's coaching has made it clear he wants the easiest path to money, regardless of the long-term price on his development and all-around play.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:54 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
I never had a problem with his work ethic. I fully expect Turris to grow quickly into a 60 point player.
Agree. He's always been a hard working and had a good attitude until this year. I don't fault him for not wanting to be here. You look at the PP, puck possesion and lack of development from our young, offensive forwards over the last few years and have to realize there's an issue that needs to be addressed. We have a guy that gets a lot of kudos for his work with the goalies and one with the defensemen. Maybe we need to bring in someone that is an expert on teaching skilled forwards and even another guy that is a PP guru. I'd really like to see some adjustments if the team is here next year.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
I've wasted enough time on the entitled spoiled kid up to the day his was traded, but I'm willing to bet his icetime is the reason for his uptick in scoring. I'm sure the same thing would have happened if he was still here with the injuries to Hanzal and Gordon.

Comparing points now is comparing apples to oranges. The key will be when he is once again 'subjected' to an excellent coach who makes their players earn ice time for the players own benefit. Will he continue to suceed, or seek a new destination where he thinks he can get an easier ride.

His chosen career path from his decision to stay in BC with Burnaby, to when he initiated signing his pro contract too early, finalized by his demands to avoid Tippett's coaching has made it clear he wants the easiest path to money, regardless of the long-term price on his development and all-around play.
I don't necessarily believe in the ice time argument - while it can provide more opportunities, that doesn't guarantee that getting an extra 3-4 minutes of ice time will mean that those add'l minutes will occur against the opposition's weaker lines, where someone should be able to take advantage of that. I'm more inclined to believe that it is a combination of playing in a system that allows for a little more flow to the offense (it is an Eastern Conference team after all), and he probably has a few more talented wingers to be matched up with. Turris wasn't going to suddenly be placed in the middle of the Vrbata-Whitney line, and I think the other comment earlier about being the guy behind Spezza on the depth chart holds true as well. More focus will be put on those guys from the moment the game starts. With the 'Yotes, I have felt like team can have a "wait-and-see" approach, as we have gotten secondary scoring from all lines, and some teams may matchup their forward lines differently, depending on the first couple of shifts with our team, especially if the Boedker-Langkow-Doan combo starts slow. It is just a situation where he can slide into a line better and not get lost in the shuffle. And some of his assists have been a little sketchy - an empty net assist and an assist b/c a pass deflected of a skate in OT and found the back of the net, so the jury is a little out as to whether or not he is putting shots on net with rebounds allowed to other players, or if he is just getting a little lucky...

Old
01-10-2012, 12:44 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUX7PHX View Post
and an assist b/c a pass deflected of a skate in OT and found the back of the net, so the jury is a little out as to whether or not he is putting shots on net with rebounds allowed to other players, or if he is just getting a little lucky...
To be fair, he carried the puck end to end and got the primary assist, while the goal was weak the assist wasn't really.

That said his playmaking has definitely seemed to be a strong side of his game as he hasn't utilized his shot as much as he could be.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Turris is going to have the opportunity to grow with this team. I'm sure there were not too many players his age in Phoenix? Ottawa is full of young players who push each other every night. So far having that much energy in the line up has done great things for Ottawa And Turris isn't looking out of place. He will learn a lot from Spezza.

Old
01-11-2012, 08:04 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Turris is going to have the opportunity to grow with this team. I'm sure there were not too many players his age in Phoenix? Ottawa is full of young players who push each other every night. So far having that much energy in the line up has done great things for Ottawa And Turris isn't looking out of place. He will learn a lot from Spezza.
Don't all young players with their first team have the opportunity to grow with that team?

Boedker, Chip, Hanzal, Korpi, OEL, and O'Reilly are all under the age of 25, so it is not like he was without peers here. He just did not want to play in a defensive system. The breakout is based upon him being happy (if you're happy at your job, you perform better) and being in a system that is more inclined offensively. People could say he'd learn a lot from centers he has been with in the past, such as Belanger, Langkow, and other forwards like Doan provide as much leadership as you'd find.

If Turris is averaging roughly .7 ppg when he is at his peak of happiness, ability to play, whatever - what happens when he goes through a rough stretch? I think he is likely to be a 50 point guy for the majority of the career, and while that is good, there are players taken much later in the draft that approach those stats, too...

Old
01-11-2012, 09:12 AM
doaner

Quote:
Ummm...that's awesome. Thanks for letting us know

Old
01-11-2012, 09:28 AM

Even if your are non-biased, which none of us are, there are some questions of character when it comes to Turris.

1) He demanded to be signed while at his freshman year of college
2) He demanded a trade after his ELC
3) He dogged it when he was forced to sign with the Coyotes

That doesn't mean he doesn't have talent and that he won't produce, but it's enough that you might see Turris bounce around the league a bit if he wears out his welcome. My prediction in 2 years time Turris will be playing for his 3rd team. For Ottawa fans, think of a less dramatic version of Yashin or Heatley perhaps.

Old
01-11-2012, 10:03 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
I hope he's happy and I hope that you're happy. This was a fair trade. I like Rumblad and I really like having an extra second round pick.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Im tired of this limbo crap with DR!!! Make a ****ing choice right now GMDM and Tippett!
Either play DR in the NHL or play him in the AHL. Every game missed by him only dampers his chance at being a successful player in the NHL let alone being able to play in the league. I would pissed off if I'm DR and say this:

"WTF here??? Aside from the business that is the NHL you guys brought me here because you say that you believe in me yet I have only played one game and Im stuck in ****ing limbo and missing out on quality playing time somewhere else. Plus by the looks of things you have a major overload of talent in Defense where your offensive is another issue. You have have traded for more offense and not bring in someone who may never even crack into even a bottom 6 role.

Make a ****ing choice now!!! Either play me in some games or trade me to a team that will right now. "

Also in case if DR doesn't pan out due to mismangement then its all on Tippett and GMDM since Gretzky and company have nothing to do with this.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Easy buddy. Rundblad is thrilled to be making NHL money rather than AHL money.

01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Easy buddy. Rundblad is thrilled to be making NHL money rather than AHL money.
In the short term I could see that but what about the long term? That money will go quick if he is not doing anything big long term, no?

Old
01-11-2012, 12:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
In the short term I could see that but what about the long term? That money will go quick if he is not doing anything big long term, no?
He needs to play on North American ice to adjust to North American ice. There is no doubt about that. You are correct there.

There could be some reasonable extenuating circumstances here, however. They may not be all that far fetched either. Rundblad was a star player in the SEL and he gave up A LOT of money to come over here. He may have had a handshake agreement that be would earn at least half of his NHL money. Perhaps the Coyotes did the right thing and agreed to honor that pre existing agreement. Perhaps they were all set to send him down last week until Schlemko got hurt. They decided they'd keep him up until they saw whether or not Morris was going to be able to turn it around.

Rundblad said himself he was ready to go to Portland. Schlemko got hurt. Morris had been dicey at best.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:06 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Rundblad said himself he was ready to go to Portland. Schlemko got hurt. Morris had been dicey at best.
And there's no guarantee that the current group will stay healthy.

When a D-man has gotten hurt in the past, they'd call up someone from Portland, in case the no. 7 guy couldn't hack it or yet another guy got hurt.

But now, instead of calling someone up, they can just delay Rundblad's demotion. Makes total sense.

Everybody knows Rundblad needs to play and it sounds like he understands why he's going to Portland for a little while. Until then, he's probably glad to cash an NHL paycheck and practice with the team for a few more days. No need to read too much into things, even though it can be difficult not to when the team is struggling.

Old
01-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Kass Effect

I understand that the loss of Turris sucks and pisses you guys off. Totally fair. But this, he wanted/demanded to be on the Coyotes straight from college talk I'm seeing... come on. Which player wouldn't want to be in the NHL, unless they have stated that they want an education first? - and Turris can't demand his way onto the team - he has to be offered a contract.

Meanwhile, they are now mis-handling DR - kid needs icetime. Even 10-12 "protected" minutes of it..... something.

I still think Turris is a good kid, and his teammates in Ottawa seem to agree (they loved it when he dropped the gloves). However, I hate seeing Phoenix go through issues with their "future", and I want to see DR succeed - if only to make up for the loss of Turris - but this isn't the way to do it. They really need to sort out their developing process - and fast. Boedker and OEL haven't ridden the pine like this, have they?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:32 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
They really need to sort out their developing process - and fast.
Yandle, Ekman-Larsson and Schlemko beg to differ.

Old
01-11-2012, 02:44 PM
MP

Quote:
Yandle, Ekman-Larsson and Schlemko beg to differ.
It seems like just yesterday that we were calling him Flemko and wondering what he was doing in the NHL. Now look at him.

The problem with Turris is that he's not equipped physically to play in Tippett's system. It wasn't a skill thing, a work ethic thing or even a size thing; he was just, somehow, too easy to play against, especially in his own end. That's why he wasn't getting the ice time for much of last year.

In contrast, Yandle, OEL and Schlemko learned how to be tough to play against. Tough enough, anyway. They won't lay anybody out, but to varying degrees they do know how to block lanes and separate guys from the puck. They can make smart/gritty little plays to break up a forecheck. You could say the same for Boedker.

But not so much with Kyle.

Old
01-11-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I understand that the loss of Turris sucks and pisses you guys off. Totally fair. But this, he wanted/demanded to be on the Coyotes straight from college talk I'm seeing... come on. Which player wouldn't want to be in the NHL, unless they have stated that they want an education first? - and Turris can't demand his way onto the team - he has to be offered a contract.
Turris didn't demand he make the team out of college, but he did demand to be signed (I don't have the link to the source) and as a result of that he was not eligible to play in the AHL when he did sign I don't believe.

Prospects don't typically make the call of when they get signed, usually it's a collaboration between management and the player in college to see how their development is going and what the best options for that players development are. A player can take an agent and officially go pro, but then they cannot return to college hockey. Turris was making his own choice in his development with those actions.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Turris didn't demand he make the team out of college, but he did demand to be signed (I don't have the link to the source) and as a result of that he was not eligible to play in the AHL when he did sign I don't believe.

Prospects don't typically make the call of when they get signed, usually it's a collaboration between management and the player in college to see how their development is going and what the best options for that players development are. A player can take an agent and officially go pro, but then they cannot return to college hockey. Turris was making his own choice in his development with those actions.
Turris could have played in the AHL at any time, having not been drafted from the CHL. Putting him on an NHL team instead was a choice made by Maloney and Gretzky. Maloney has admitted it was a mistake.

And even if he "demanded" to be signed (which is a claim I do find a bit dubious), Maloney still did sign him. He didn't have to. If he hadn't, Turris probably would have gone back to college for another year, though he likely would have sulked about it. And whatever happened, we didn't hear a peep about it until the more recent holdout.

Closed Thread