HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

vCash: 500
Yah, i was looking at his numbers, seems like he's pretty much on pace for what he got last year. Even though it may be a smaller number of games, he's gotten increased playing time and better quality line mates.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
TJinAZ

But because he is now playing on a Canadian team

this is now said

Quote:
Kyle Turris, C, Ottawa Senators - To be fair, 22-year-old Turris is enjoying a breakout offensive season, thriving in his increased role with the Senators, but part of fulfilling a second-line centre role is producing consistently. After scoring 13 points in his first 17 games with the Sens, Turris has one point and is minus-4 in his last 10 games. To Turris' credit, he has 33 shots on goal in those 10 games (ahead of his 2.56 average with Ottawa), so his numbers ought to bounce back.
When he was here it was because of how he was "mismanaged", now he is just "slumping". And he is "breaking out" even though his statistics were better last year.

Old
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
MP

We ruined him. RUINED HIM!

Old
02-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Goat Boy
In support of BMurr.

Turris may not have been getting point the last few games, but you have to remember the Sens had a 7-game losing streak in there where practically nobody was scoring at all. During that spell, though, Turris was still playing strong. It's not like he's been playing poorly recently. He's been playing well (had a Turri-fic game against the Lightning), but the points just haven't been coming as of late. I'm sure he'll pick it up. I'm not at all worried.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Well, we wish him nothing but the worst.

02-17-2012, 11:36 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Well, we wish him nothing but the worst.
What he said! Anyone have a pic of that awkward, open-mouthed gaze he often sports on the ice? Would be avatar worthy.

Old
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Turris is what he is, a lightweight player. He avoids contact and plays smaller than he is. Unfortuanately, he's slow as molasses. Small players generally need great speed and quickness. He has Vrbata's wrister but not Vrbata's grit.

He's be a great star, if he player for, well, Peggy.

Old
02-18-2012, 09:00 AM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Turris may not have been getting point the last few games, but you have to remember the Sens had a 7-game losing streak in there where practically nobody was scoring at all. During that spell, though, Turris was still playing strong. It's not like he's been playing poorly recently. He's been playing well (had a Turri-fic game against the Lightning), but the points just haven't been coming as of late. I'm sure he'll pick it up. I'm not at all worried.
EDIT: I stand corrected. Your team has snapped out of its funk... and it wasn't because of Turris.

Last edited by MP: 02-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old
02-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Turris is what he is, a lightweight player. He avoids contact and plays smaller than he is. Unfortuanately, he's slow as molasses. Small players generally need great speed and quickness. He has Vrbata's wrister but not Vrbata's grit.
Other than him being lightweight, I don't agree with most of this.

He's a coddled kid, with apparently little heart, and a complete lack of respect for the NHL, and authority.

It's possible that at some point his natural skill will take over and things might start clicking for him and he'll be the player he thinks he is without having to work (outside of what he thinks work is) on his game.

More likely, at some point he'll have another similar coach to Tippett who makes players earn their ice time, and he'll learn what it takes to be a complete player.

I thought it was interesting that in a recent interview Brule talked about spending an entire year in the AHL while in the Oiler organization, and his coach helping him learn the game...especially away from the puck. I wish they would have asked him if those were things that Hitchcock insisted he do, but he didn't realize at that time, that being a high draft pick doesn't mean your crap don't smell.

Turris threw a golden opportunity to learn under Tippett in the trash.

It looks like Wheeler might have eaten his humble pie and is starting to learn what he needs to do, and the work it takes, to be successful. We'll see.

It's a shame that seemingly more and more, young hockey athletes are turning into the self-entitled brats that we see in other professional sports like basketball, football, and baseball.

Old
02-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Brule was also a junior superstar sensation for several years growing up in BC, actually much more so than Turris (who only came to notice in his draft year) so that makes sense.

Old
02-18-2012, 05:45 PM
lanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
It looks like Wheeler might have eaten his humble pie and is starting to learn what he needs to do, and the work it takes, to be successful. We'll see.
I don't know if Wheeler ever had problems with work ethic. But when I first started watching him in Winnipeg I wasn't impressed with his soft game. I still hated him for leaving Phoenix. But over the last few months I've realized that he's the hardest working Jet and one of the most talented. Overall he's their best forward. He's all-star caliber right now and getting better.

Old
02-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I don't know if Wheeler ever had problems with work ethic. But when I first started watching him in Winnipeg I wasn't impressed with his soft game. I still hated him for leaving Phoenix. But over the last few months I've realized that he's the hardest working Jet and one of the most talented. Overall he's their best forward. He's all-star caliber right now and getting better.
I agree with you. Still bugs me what he did to Pho. He's been the most consistent forward for the Jets for a while now. He was the best player on the ice last night for either team. Looked possessed!

Turris can still go pound sand.

Old
02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
zLiMbiLLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
What he said! Anyone have a pic of that awkward, open-mouthed gaze he often sports on the ice? Would be avatar worthy.
Sorry I could'nt resist.

Old
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
I agree with you. Still bugs me what he did to Pho. He's been the most consistent forward for the Jets for a while now. He was the best player on the ice last night for either team. Looked possessed!

Turris can still go pound sand.
How many players have the right to call their own shot right out of the gate. Wheeler's agent didn't want his client in an unstable situation and I don't blame him a bit. Hockey market my tush. The agent didn't want him wrapped up in the crap that the other players here are dealing with.

If I was in that position I would choose to sign with a stable team with a real chance to play in a Cup series myself. Too bad he got traded to Atlanta. That team won't be a serious contender during his career. Karma.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Kaizen

3-4 years from now the Thrash will be a contender. Not sure if I'd go as far as to say a serious contender but Cheveldayoff is a good operator and he's got some pieces to work with.

Granted Wheeler may be long gone from the Peg by then.

Old
02-19-2012, 11:22 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Quote:
How many players have the right to call their own shot right out of the gate. Wheeler's agent didn't want his client in an unstable situation and I don't blame him a bit. Hockey market my tush. The agent didn't want him wrapped up in the crap that the other players here are dealing with.

If I was in that position I would choose to sign with a stable team with a real chance to play in a Cup series myself. Too bad he got traded to Atlanta. That team won't be a serious contender during his career. Karma.
Ownership wasn't an issue at the time (or at least not publicly). Besides, I don't think players that young really care too much about the possibility of being relocated. At that age, lots of guys are just trying to hit it and quit it, not settle down.

It probably had a lot to do with getting away from (what was) a joke of a franchise to a contender and his buddy Phil Kessel was there.

Really weird to think about now, but at the time we thought there was a chance Wheeler bailed because he wouldn't make the team with Turris and Boedker ahead of him. We all thought he would end up starting in San Antonio.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:42 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubba Jenkins View Post
Ownership wasn't an issue at the time (or at least not publicly).
It probably had a lot to do with getting away from (what was) a joke of a franchise to a contender and his buddy Phil Kessel was there.
Ownership was a problem then. People in the league, as well agents all knew about it.

Old
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Don't tell us, please.

I'd rather not read about it.

Old
02-20-2012, 08:25 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Here we go again.

Quote:
Ownership was a problem then. People in the league, as well agents all knew about it.
It was definitely a problem, but I don't think they expected Moyes to pull his happy horse **** and end up where we are now. So I don't think it was thought of as much of a problem as it's perceived now.

Old
02-26-2012, 10:57 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So Kyle Turris has one goal and one assist in his last fourteen games. He's a minus three in that span.

Decides to take his frustration out on Joe Corvo's head and is going to he suspended.

It was a charge, an elbow, a blindside, and a targeting of the head. Basically everything Shanahan has been trying to remove from NHL hits. He's definitely gutless. That said, Joe Corvo is worse. Haha.

Old
02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
PHX FireBirds18

I have to say. I was a big fan of Kyle Turris and a firm believer that he would becaome a solid NHL player one day. The holdout, his slashing penalty that lead to his trade, and now this. I found all of these to be particularly surprising, because when I watched him as a Junior he was so disciplined and character was supposedly a big plus for him. He used to be so well liked. Some of us thought he was getting bad advice but possibly something else is going on. Perhaps he's testing out his new found muscle...

Old
02-26-2012, 11:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Perhaps he's just a huge ****** with a very good Eddie Hascal routine.

Old
02-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I have to say. I was a big fan of Kyle Turris and a firm believer that he would becaome a solid NHL player one day. The holdout, his slashing penalty that lead to his trade, and now this. I found all of these to be particularly surprising, because when I watched him as a Junior he was so disciplined and character was supposedly a big plus for him. He used to be so well liked. Some of us thought he was getting bad advice but possibly something else is going on. Perhaps he's testing out his new found muscle...
That's two references which I cannot follow. I didn't know Turris forced a trade with a slash. What happened? and what happened now? Please fill me in. Thanks.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:08 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
That's two references which I cannot follow. I didn't know Turris forced a trade with a slash. What happened? and what happened now? Please fill me in. Thanks.
Never mind I checked the game log on NHL.com and it was his second game back he took the slashing penalty off a late hit. I remember thinking that wasn't very Turris like. He still played a few underwhelming games after that incident. My memory was off. Thought it was the game before he started to get benched.

Old
02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Grimes

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=619091

No suspension for Turris. Bruins play the Senators on Tuesday. Glad I'm not Turris.

Closed Thread