HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
  #301
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Of those, I think of Hamilton, Rielly, and Harrington as "ultra-locks", say. Murphy and Ouellet might still have some chance to play themselves off, in some combination of terrible camp + others standing on their head? Well, or at least Murphy might have (like last year) if not for the coaching situation. But with those 5 as locks/reasonably safe choices, and Murray gone, having 2 doors open instead of one isn't the end of the world.
Murphy is a lock. Unless he's injured, Spott will have him on the team. 7th defenseman/PP specialist is where I see him.

topched is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
  #302
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie
BOS 1st rder Malcolm Subban is favorite in goal. Other contenders: Binnington, Brossoit, Marcoux, Paterson, maybe Fucale or Comrie.
It's harder to break ties on goalies just by camp performances... well, or at least the final goalie selections haven't necessarily worked out in the end for Canada in some recent tournaments. I really feel like Subban should be the #1 guy. I just have a hard time imagining Subban failing. Behind him, I like Binnington from familiarity in the OHL, but acknowledge that he can falter at times and would be a little worried if he was #1. I'm comfortable with Broissoit too as a guy who has seen some big games lately, and as long as the puck is hitting him he can have big games, but I'd also be a little nervous with him as #1 because sometimes the puck doesn't hit him. I don't know the other goalies as well. I'm so confident in Subban as the go-to guy, however, that I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the choice of backup, nor find fault with whoever HC goes with... Broissoit seems like maybe the most natural choice.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:11 AM
  #303
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
No, that's not my point at all. My point is about NHL players, not KHL players. You obviously have not read through the discussion. Nor has the person you quoted. Thanks though.
I believe people are arguing with you because you're arguing agasint the use of only NHL players.

I find it a silly argument to be honest, its not a junior A tourney, or a major junior tourney it is a tourney for the best Under 20's in the world.

KHL at this point in time is probably the top league in the world, so why their young pro's have a shot, and NHLers (who aren't playing in NHL) don't (if you had your way) seems silly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Of those, I think of Hamilton, Rielly, and Harrington as "ultra-locks", say. Murphy and Ouellet might still have some chance to play themselves off, in some combination of terrible camp + others standing on their head? Well, or at least Murphy might have (like last year) if not for the coaching situation. But with those 5 as locks/reasonably safe choices, and Murray gone, having 2 doors open instead of one isn't the end of the world.

I would want to get at least one of the '94s in as well... partly there are just so many good ones to choose from, partly also for grooming for next year... actually I'd lean pretty strongly towards two '94s for the last two spots (Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Pelech, Koekkoek... just whoever shows best in camp and makes the best mix). It's not at all sure that Rielly would return for next year's team, so these 2 slots might be your only 2 returnees for 2014 on D. They aren't really above or below all the other candidates (Ceci, Percy, Corrado, Siemens, etc) at this snapshot in time, but I'd tip the balance with the advance planning for next year strategy, all else being equal.
.

Canada has one directive at this tournament - a GOLD MEDAL - there should be NO special attention paid to advanced planning for next year.

Next year all those guys you named could be in the show...pick the best team this year - IMO that team will not include Reinhart, Pouliott, Pelech, or Koekkoek.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:14 AM
  #304
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 18,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Canada has one directive at this tournament - a GOLD MEDAL - there should be NO special attention paid to advanced planning for next year.

Next year all those guys you named could be in the show...pick the best team this year - IMO that team will not include Reinhart, Pouliott, Pelech, or Koekkoek.
Maybe it didn't stand out in my post... I'm saying I doubt there is much to pick between anyway of the remaining candidates for the last two spots. So if you have to break the ties, break it on taking the '94s because it will help groom them for 2014. It isn't affecting whether you win gold this year or not. It might help for next year.

And none of those guys will be in the NHL next year.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:18 AM
  #305
stokes84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I don't see the difference whatsoever, this basically just looks like a guy who wants to whine.

Yakupov would be in the NHL if it weren't for the lockout... you could likely say that about another handful of players.

Why would you tell someone "sorry you're too good" because he played in the NHL last year? Especially a guy who didn't make the world junior team 2 years ago when he was in junior, RNH was cut in favour of Sean Couturier. Should Smith-Pelley have been disallowed from playing last year as well? Or not because he wasn't a "first line centre" already.

This is a tournament for the best players born 1993 or later, plain and simple.
Yeah, but he's not. And he hasn't played in it. The fact that you don't see this as a major difference is baffling. Again, I don't have rooting interest. This is just plain old fashioned common sense. I don't think it's should be that difficult to see why people would find it objectionable. I digress, because this isn't going to take us anywhere else productive. It's simply an opinion.

stokes84 is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:24 AM
  #306
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Yeah, but he's not. And he hasn't played in it. The fact that you don't see this as a major difference is baffling. Again, I don't have rooting interest. This is just plain old fashioned common sense. I don't think it's should be that difficult to see why people would find it objectionable. I digress, because this isn't going to take us anywhere else productive. It's simply an opinion.
Yeah its an opinion, but a poor one.

Why should playing in the NHL stop you from competing in this tournament? Playing in the NHL is all about skill level. Either you have the skill to play in the NHL or not.

Yakupov is playing in the KHL, and many other prospects in various men's pro leagues around europe, where there are NHL players playing with and against them this year.

Your argument just doesn't hold water. This isn't an "amateur" tournament, and if it was you wouldn't see any CHL players as they are considered "semi-pro" and do get paid. It would be NCAA and non major junior level hockey players.

Plain and simple this is a tournament for the best players under 21 years of age. If Galchenyuk was playing the NHL this year I have a hard time believing you'd still be floating this opinion.

topched is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:27 AM
  #307
AJMHABS
Vanek!!!
 
AJMHABS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
No, that's not my point at all. My point is about NHL players, not KHL players. You obviously have not read through the discussion. Nor has the person you quoted. Thanks though.
I did read through it and that's what I got from it. My bad, I misunderstood.

AJMHABS is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
  #308
stokes84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Yeah its an opinion, but a poor one.

Why should playing in the NHL stop you from competing in this tournament? Playing in the NHL is all about skill level. Either you have the skill to play in the NHL or not.

Yakupov is playing in the KHL, and many other prospects in various men's pro leagues around europe, where there are NHL players playing with and against them this year.

Your argument just doesn't hold water. This isn't an "amateur" tournament, and if it was you wouldn't see any CHL players as they are considered "semi-pro" and do get paid. It would be NCAA and non major junior level hockey players.

Plain and simple this is a tournament for the best players under 21 years of age. If Galchenyuk was playing the NHL this year I have a hard time believing you'd still be floating this opinion.
OK, it's because I hate Canada and want them to lose. You caught me.

stokes84 is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
  #309
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D
 
untouchable21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Outer Limits.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
@TSNBobMcKenzie:
MacKinnon will be invited. I don't think Fucale will because of age. If lockout is on and all players available, Drouin doubtful IMO.

13 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: CHI prospect Phillip Danault is, IMO, highly likely to be 4th line centre tho he has flexibility to play wing. He'd be on my team.

17 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: I believe RNH situation will be addressed this weekend but as long as he's up for it, I don't see Oilers as an impediment. It'll be his call

19 minutes ago
@TSNBobMcKenzie: Ouellet played a very strong two-way game in summer games vs. the Russians and the sense is he could be a good fit with Harrington.
Personally I think Drouin should be invited. His chemistry with MacKinnon would be a huge asset especially on the larger ice surface.

untouchable21 is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 AM
  #310
Seachd
Registered User
 
Seachd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: The Fail
Posts: 13,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Bergeron playing was a joke too. I understand why you can't discriminate, I just don't like it, for obvious reasons.

And I don't have rooting interest. If anything, what annoys me most is that he'd be taking a spot from a deserving junior player.
This doesn't make any sense. He's just as equal as everyone else in the tournament when it comes to requirements. The fact that he's really good shouldn't make him any less eligible in anyone's mind.

Seachd is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
  #311
Andy Dufresne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Yeah, but he's not. And he hasn't played in it. The fact that you don't see this as a major difference is baffling. Again, I don't have rooting interest. This is just plain old fashioned common sense. I don't think it's should be that difficult to see why people would find it objectionable. I digress, because this isn't going to take us anywhere else productive. It's simply an opinion.
Your opinion is baffling. It's a tournament for the top players in the world under a certain age. Period. Common sense?

Andy Dufresne is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
  #312
Fogelhund
Registered User
 
Fogelhund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Yeah, but he's not. And he hasn't played in it. The fact that you don't see this as a major difference is baffling. Again, I don't have rooting interest. This is just plain old fashioned common sense. I don't think it's should be that difficult to see why people would find it objectionable. I digress, because this isn't going to take us anywhere else productive. It's simply an opinion.
It is a tournament for people under a certain age, nothing less, nothing more. Actual common sense would not try and put conditions on it, that aren't there, and never were intended to be there.

The reality is, this NHL lockout is one of the few times when this tournament isn't skewed by who isn't available. This is actually a TRUE test of the best Junior AGE players in the world.

Fogelhund is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:07 AM
  #313
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited. More likely to get invited next year when he's 16.

The fact that he mentioned McDavid at all must mean there was some small consideration. Looking forward to seeing if he can pull it off next year.
Doesn't anybody remember the nonsense that went on this past summer with Mackinnon and Hockey Canada and the reason HC floated for not allowing Mackinnon to participate in the summer summit series. Until a player has participated in an U18 event he is ineligible to participate in an U20 event. Seems as though there are certain double standards still at HC.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:08 AM
  #314
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Personally I think Drouin should be invited. His chemistry with MacKinnon would be a huge asset especially on the larger ice surface.
Thing is... based on the history of draft eligible players... Mackinnon is likely to be pencilled in as the 13th forward, will play on all 4 lines and get alot of PP time... similar to Couturier, Stamkos, Tavares etc. in their underage years.

I get taking Pearson to ride shotgun to Sheifele last year, or taking Adam to go with Hall before that, but with Mackinnon I don't think he's got enough of a role to bring someone just for chemistry's sake.

Although you could just extend an invite to Drouin and see if they surprise together.

topched is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
  #315
Malreg
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited. More likely to get invited next year when he's 16.

The fact that he mentioned McDavid at all must mean there was some small consideration. Looking forward to seeing if he can pull it off next year.
Bob mentionned him because he was answering questions and someone asked him about McDavid.

He also mentioned that Hudon is pretty much a lock to make the team.

Malreg is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:53 AM
  #316
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Doesn't anybody remember the nonsense that went on this past summer with Mackinnon and Hockey Canada and the reason HC floated for not allowing Mackinnon to participate in the summer summit series. Until a player has participated in an U18 event he is ineligible to participate in an U20 event. Seems as though there are certain double standards still at HC.
Mcdavid will play in the u-17s this year.

JetsHomer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 11:59 AM
  #317
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Mcdavid will play in the u-17s this year.
Yes, I'm aware of that... I was making a comment re: why some believe McDavid to be in consideration for the U20 team when clearly HC has a rule that states no player can participate in an U20 event until he participates in an U18 event. That's the whole reason why HC would not allow Mackinnon to participate in the summer summit series and sent him instead to the Ivan Hlinka tournament.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:04 PM
  #318
LeafDangler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Not even inviting Drouin to camp would be more than laughable, it's inexcusable. He's been the most productive player in the CHL this year. You need to invite him to camp and see how he looks compared to "locks" like Huberdeau, Danault and Hudon (I've only seen the Q live). Because if I was picking a team based solely on performance this year I would have Drouin AND MacKinnon both before any of the guys I mentioned regardless of role. There's a reason both play the last minute of games for Halifax and kill penalties: the other team can't score if you've got possession in their end.

I'll somewhat understand if both are given a shot in camp but don't impress. That's one thing and based on merit. Not even getting a chance based on age? That's ridiculous.

LeafDangler is offline  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:17 PM
  #319
TheBeastCoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dartmouth,NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 893
Drouin should be on thiss team......If he doesn't get an invite, well I guess that is just HC being HC. Doesn't make any sense to me, honestly if he got the invite and didn't make the team then maybe it would be pass able but he has to get an invite with the way he has played this season.....Atleast give the kid a shot I think he has earned that much.

TheBeastCoast is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:18 PM
  #320
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that... I was making a comment re: why some believe McDavid to be in consideration for the U20 team when clearly HC has a rule that states no player can participate in an U20 event until he participates in an U18 event. That's the whole reason why HC would not allow Mackinnon to participate in the summer summit series and sent him instead to the Ivan Hlinka tournament.
People that think Mcdavid has a chance this year are out to lunch. He's awesome. Best 15 year old in the world. But he's not playing bottom 6 and is he a better player at 15 than RNH,Huberdeau, MacKinnon, Strome, Scheifele or Rattie? Those guys are all better players today than he is. I'm sure he'll end up better than most in the long run, but today in the year 2012 there are better options for a top 6 role, if Canada's main goal is to win gold.

How old was Crosby when he first made the team?

JetsHomer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:21 PM
  #321
TheBeastCoast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Dartmouth,NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
People that think Mcdavid has a chance this year are out to lunch. He's awesome. Best 15 year old in the world. But he's not playing bottom 6 and is he a better player at 15 than RNH,Huberdeau, MacKinnon, Strome, Scheifele or Rattie? Those guys are all better players today than he is. I'm sure he'll end up better than most in the long run, but today in the year 2012 there are better options for a top 6 role, if Canada's main goal is to win gold.

How old was Crosby when he first made the team?
16 I think.

TheBeastCoast is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:25 PM
  #322
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
People that think Mcdavid has a chance this year are out to lunch. He's awesome. Best 15 year old in the world. But he's not playing bottom 6 and is he a better player at 15 than RNH,Huberdeau, MacKinnon, Strome, Scheifele or Rattie? Those guys are all better players today than he is. I'm sure he'll end up better than most in the long run, but today in the year 2012 there are better options for a top 6 role, if Canada's main goal is to win gold.

How old was Crosby when he first made the team?
Dude you are not understanding my point. I'm not arguing McDavid should be considered...I'm telling people who seem to think that he has a shot about the HC rule which would prohibit him from playing. That's all my post is about...

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:26 PM
  #323
JetsHomer
Registered User
 
JetsHomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,035
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Dude you are not understanding my point. I'm not arguing McDavid should be considered...I'm telling people who seem to think that he has a shot about the HC rule which would prohibit him from playing. That's all my post is about...
I'm not arguing with you. Just using your post to clarify mine.

JetsHomer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 12:53 PM
  #324
Mr Writer
Registered User
 
Mr Writer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm not arguing with you. Just using your post to clarify mine.
Super! Can't wait to see him in the U18 World Championship this spring. ))) I'm a big McDavid fan.

Mr Writer is online now  
Old
11-28-2012, 01:15 PM
  #325
bsmith14
Registered User
 
bsmith14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,369
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Super! Can't wait to see him in the U18 World Championship this spring. ))) I'm a big McDavid fan.
just to clarify will those be the 95's or 96's? I know Ivan Hlinka will be 96's next summer but I get confused with the u-18 world championships

bsmith14 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.