HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Bergeron playing was a joke too. I understand why you can't discriminate, I just don't like it, for obvious reasons.

And I don't have rooting interest. If anything, what annoys me most is that he'd be taking a spot from a deserving junior player.
It can't be helped that the best junior players in Canada are so good that they get recruited to the NHL. If anything those juniors get robbed from playing in this tournament which I'm sure most of them have dreamed of playing in since they were young.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:16 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Do you hate Duncan Siemens or what?
Dont hate him but I dont see him in the equation. No offense to his game really, there are better shut down options and he has no history with Hockey Canada worth noting. As an 11th overall pick he didnt even get an invite in the summer.

Not to mention the whole stripping of his captaincy doesnt bode well. SOlid prospect, not on Canada though

Old
11-28-2012, 03:27 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Dont hate him but I dont see him in the equation. No offense to his game really, there are better shut down options and he has no history with Hockey Canada worth noting. As an 11th overall pick he didnt even get an invite in the summer.

Not to mention the whole stripping of his captaincy doesnt bode well. SOlid prospect, not on Canada though
I was totally against him too before his SSS game which got me thinking, he looked really solid and also looks like he knows his role. Its a possibility, although it seems like a long shot he does play his role well and he is a 93 born... never know

Old
11-28-2012, 03:32 PM
JackSlater

Huberdeau Nugent-Hopkins MacKinnon
Strome Scheifele Rattie
Hudon Jenner Danault
Graovac Monahan Ritchie
Wilson

Hamilton Rielly
Harrington Ouellet
Murphy Reinhart
Dumba

Subban

This is my prediction more than what I would personally select. Lessio would have been so good for a bottom 6 role.

Old
11-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Huberdeau Nugent-Hopkins MacKinnon
Strome Scheifele Rattie
Hudon Jenner Danault
Graovac Monahan Ritchie
Wilson

Hamilton Rielly
Harrington Ouellet
Murphy Reinhart
Dumba

Subban

This is my prediction more than what I would personally select. Lessio would have been so good for a bottom 6 role.
This is pretty darn close to what I would personally select. Despite being a 67's fan I wouldn't pick Graovac, however. He got off to a really nice start in scoring, and looked good enough in the SSS as well, but I still don't know that I really trust him on this level. I couldn't fault the rest if HC went that way.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:15 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
OK, it's because I hate Canada and want them to lose. You caught me.
Look, this tournament is for under 20, that means anyone who is good enough and is under 20 gets to play...Thats it...

The same way the USA basketball sends a team of NBA to the Olympics (They win almost every time) - because those are the rules...

I wish RNH plays, i want to see him play, I want to see Hamilton, Huberdeau play on team CANADA together...why, because they are under 20 in an under 20 tournament.

Old
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Alberta tough

Bob McKenzie's thoughts on the forwards.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410489

Old
11-28-2012, 06:51 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Bob McKenzie's thoughts on the forwards.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410489
Ugh. Even Brian Burke has admitted that the top 6/bottom 6 model is outdated.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
In fairness, Canada's "bottom 6" will still have a 1.5 PPG, 4th in OHL scoring third-line center.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:07 PM
RJQuack

Don't see how Hudon is lock for the top 6... How they could justify how he's better than MacKinnon or Drouin is beyond me...

I think Hudon will make the team but in an energy role as there's plenty of better options for a scoring forward...

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
In fairness, Canada's "bottom 6" will still have a 1.5 PPG, 4th in OHL scoring third-line center.
I don't have any issue whatsoever with Jenner. He's fantastic.

It's more of a philosophical thing. We're the deepest hockey nation on the planet. We should be putting the best 12 hockey players we possibly can up front and force other teams to adapt to us. When HC doesn't prioritize talent and skill we give up our biggest advantage imo.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Agreed. Don't understand why Canada, a team that could easily bring a dozen top six quality forwards, decides to only bring only six in favor of lesser skilled grinders.

Were making it much easier for teams to compete with us because we sink down to their competition.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
SirloinUB

Yup. We should be looking at 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown/energy line.

Old
11-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:

It's more of a philosophical thing. We're the deepest hockey nation on the planet. We should be putting the best 12 hockey players we possibly can up front and force other teams to adapt to us. When HC doesn't prioritize talent and skill we give up our biggest advantage imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
Yup. We should be looking at 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown/energy line.
... that's pretty much exactly my point though - if Jenner's your third line centre that's still a scoring line.

Old
11-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Don't see how Hudon is lock for the top 6... How they could justify how he's better than MacKinnon or Drouin is beyond me...

I think Hudon will make the team but in an energy role as there's plenty of better options for a scoring forward...
I agree 100%. He formed good chemisty with Danault in the summer series and I think in the super series too so I think they'd likely stay together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
... that's pretty much exactly my point though - if Jenner's your third line centre that's still a scoring line.
Not when he's asked to fill a specific role (which he will most certainly be asked to do).

Old
11-28-2012, 08:14 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post

I agree. Not only are there players better suited for a top six role, but Hudon's versatility means that he can be used on any line. I would much rather have Hudon on line 3 and MacKinnon on line 2, than Hudon on line 2 and MacKinnon as the 13th forward. The team should maximize the available assets.

Quote:

Truth. There is no point building this team like traditional hockey teams who are forced into the regular model because of a lack of talent. If you have the talent throw it out there.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's harder to break ties on goalies just by camp performances... well, or at least the final goalie selections haven't necessarily worked out in the end for Canada in some recent tournaments. I really feel like Subban should be the #1 guy. I just have a hard time imagining Subban failing. Behind him, I like Binnington from familiarity in the OHL, but acknowledge that he can falter at times and would be a little worried if he was #1. I'm comfortable with Broissoit too as a guy who has seen some big games lately, and as long as the puck is hitting him he can have big games, but I'd also be a little nervous with him as #1 because sometimes the puck doesn't hit him. I don't know the other goalies as well. I'm so confident in Subban as the go-to guy, however, that I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the choice of backup, nor find fault with whoever HC goes with... Broissoit seems like maybe the most natural choice.
I was just reading in the USA WJC thread that teams can now bring 20 skaters and 3 goalies, and checked out the rules and bylaws on the IIHF site to confirm (section 802). Odd that McKenzie has not mentioned this yet.

Old
11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Given that 2 of the 4 people he spends all his time with at the moment are Jordan Eberle and Taylor Hall I am almost certain he has been given a favorable view of the WJC. He is also very competitive and will want to redeem getting cut in his draft year.

If the NHL lockout doesn't end soon RNH will be going to Ufa.
I have no doubt those guys will give him a good view of the tournament, but both Hall and Eberle have been asked about it and both have said it's different because they played when they were on the junior level and that they didn't know if it would be a good idea to go back down 2 levels from the NHL to the WJC.

I got the feeling listening to Eberle's interview this week that he would not have went back if it was him in that scenario because he is an NHL all-star already.

I think there are pretty much no negatives in playing for Canada at the WJC, but that being said he may just prefer to keep it rolling in OKC. They are starting to play well and he is hanging out with Ebs, Hall, and Schultz, he may not feel the need to go back.

The advantage of going back is the team is likely going to be very dynamic, and he has a very good change of bringing back gold.

Old
11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I was just reading in the USA WJC thread that teams can now bring 20 skaters and 3 goalies, and checked out the rules and bylaws on the IIHF site to confirm (section 802). Odd that McKenzie has not mentioned this yet.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Old
11-28-2012, 10:37 PM
JetsHomer

What sounds more appealing: playing in front on 2000 'fans' in Oklahoma, in what are essentially meaningless games, or suiting up for your country in an international competition? Yup really hard choice there

Old
11-28-2012, 11:02 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
I was pretty shocked to see this too, but it makes sense. Losing a goalie and not being able to have a second backup, even in a short tournament, is a disaster. Also, this opens up the possibility of grooming someone for the following year by just having them experience the whole situation, even if they do not play a single game.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf
802. IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship
2. Number of Players, Officials
A maximum of 20 players, 3 goalkeepers and 6 team officials may participate in the IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship.
The minimum number of players on a team to enter and start with is 15 players plus 2 goalkeepers.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:14 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
13 forwards 7 dmen, has it not always been this way?

Old
11-29-2012, 12:16 AM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

If RNH decides he's not gonna play in the WJC, he'll definitely be watching it, probably with Eberle and Hall who I know will keep track. Especially if Canada makes it to the Gold medal match, how do you think he'll feel knowing it could have been him in that game?

Old
11-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
If RNH decides he's not gonna play in the WJC, he'll definitely be watching it, probably with Eberle and Hall who I know will keep track. Especially if Canada makes it to the Gold medal match, how do you think he'll feel knowing it could have been him in that game?
Bad.

Old
11-29-2012, 12:45 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Which could be the deciding factor for him. The fact this team will be potentially dominant is a key factor when deciding whether he wants to go or not.

That being said, he's played in the NHL and represented Canada before, so I don't think he will be crushed if he chooses to pass.

Closed Thread