HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 01:13 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
Yup. We should be looking at 3 scoring lines and 1 shutdown/energy line.
I would say 2 pure scoring lines, 1 good 2 way line(basically guys who can score who have some defensive sensibility), 1 shutdown/energy line)

Old
11-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Hossa

My bet, based on what has been speculated by others so far, mixed with a bit of personal preference.

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Hudon - Strome - Ritchie
Danault - Jenner - Rattie
Laughton - Monahan - MacKinnon
Wilson

Rielly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - Murphy
Ceci

With the forwards, all four RWs could shuffle up and down, as it will be important for whoever occupies the top two spots to be able to finish. Bob suggests Danault could centre the fourth line, but he's also a LW, and you could put anybody you want on the right side of that third line and it's probably still effective. And while it may seem odd to have Monahan and MacKinnon on a line together, the former is well suited for a responsible two-way role, and MacKinnon's role could change a fair bit if he makes the club. Although Laughton is no better bet for a bottom six spot than any number of players, he might be my choice.

For the blueline, the more I look at it, the more I expect the final two spots to go to a left-shooting defence-first player, and a right-shooting player offence-first player. That assumes that Murphy probably needs a Reinhart, Siemens, Percy, Wotherspoon or Pelech to play with him, and the club might like the insurance of a Dumba, Ceci or Pulock in case Murphy is better suited to playing the role of seventh D.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
coursy17

strome - RNH - Scheifele
drouin - hubderdeau - mackinnon
monahan - Jenner - rattie
hudon - danault - ritchie
Wilson

Rielly - Hamilton
Ouellet - Harrington
Reinhart - Murphy
dumba

subban
binnington

Honestly i know theres other players you can plug in but thats just my opinion... realistically watching the russians basically A team.. kokhlachev yakupov shalunov.. watching grigorenko, zlobin, they were missing slepyshev who is probably the best forward when healthy..that team woould be gold medal favourites in most tournaments.. but with the depth canada has at every position i just dont see how they lose.. i think russia is our biggest competition but its a far far 2nd best. i feel and i dont want to be cocky but i feel like canada should and will walk on this tournament. whether its that lineup^ or if theres a couple changes or w.e this is gonna be a dominant team.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:45 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Dont hate him but I dont see him in the equation. No offense to his game really, there are better shut down options and he has no history with Hockey Canada worth noting. As an 11th overall pick he didnt even get an invite in the summer.

Not to mention the whole stripping of his captaincy doesnt bode well. SOlid prospect, not on Canada though
Huh? So Ryan Parent and Keith Aulie were awful on Team Canada hey? No offense = terrible. Scott Harrington has 7 pts in 27 games. Terrible line of reasoning.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:46 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Don't see how Hudon is lock for the top 6... How they could justify how he's better than MacKinnon or Drouin is beyond me...

I think Hudon will make the team but in an energy role as there's plenty of better options for a scoring forward...
Well I'm pretty sure Bob McKenzie wasn't randomly spouting off on national TV, I'm fairly confident he has had numerous discussions with both Steve Spott and Kevin Prendergast. His son is an assistant coach on Spott's staff in Kitchener, I think he might have a decent idea of what the brass is currently thinking.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:47 AM
40oz

As cool as it would be to see, there's a really slim chance that MacKinnon, Drouin AND Monahan make the team. When's the last time 3 draft eligible forwards make the Canadian team.

Old
11-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
Which could be the deciding factor for him. The fact this team will be potentially dominant is a key factor when deciding whether he wants to go or not.

That being said, he's played in the NHL and represented Canada before, so I don't think he will be crushed if he chooses to pass.
He hasn't played in the world jrs before. It's a whole different atmosphere than the mens worlds. Plus, the fact that he didn't do well in that competition may motivate him even more. It's my understanding that it is a dream for these players to play in the world jrs, so I don't see any logical reason he wouldn't want to go. Besides, we're forgetting the biggest factor. It's for Canada!

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-29-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 01:49 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
As cool as it would be to see, there's a really slim chance that MacKinnon, Drouin AND Monahan make the team. When's the last time 3 draft eligible forwards make the Canadian team.
Well in 2008, there was Boychuk, Stamkos and Tavares but Tavares wasn't eligible until 2009. So I guess it was even more impressive?

Old
11-29-2012, 01:53 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
He hasn't played in the world jrs before. It's a whole different atmosphere than the mens worlds. Plus, the fact that he didn't do well in that competition my motivate him even more. It's my understanding that it is a dream for these players to play in the world jrs, so I don't see any logical reason he wouldn't want to go. Besides, we're forgetting the biggest factor. It's for Canada!
An atmosphere with a much lower level of talent? It's played in Russia where I don't think there is quite the level of fanaticism as Canada for a tournament featuring 19 year olds...

He also had 6 pts in 8 games as an 18 year old playing in the World Championships playing regularly on special teams... how did he "not do well" in the competition....

Also love how people say the WJC is a better level of competition than the AHL, the AHL is full of grown men, most of which who played in the WJC years ago most of which have progressed much farther in terms of skill/smarts/size since then.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:04 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Well in 2008, there was Boychuk, Stamkos and Tavares but Tavares wasn't eligible until 2009. So I guess it was even more impressive?
Yup, that definitely is more impressive hahaha. I completely forgot that Boychuk was on that team.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I still think grouping together MacKinnon/Drouin with Monahan is a bit misleading. The former two are under-agers, whereas the latter is a third year junior who is more advanced and developed. Who is a better draft prospect is one question, but Monahan stands a chance for the same reasons Murray, Couturier, Hall, L. Schenn, Doughty, Boychuk and company did.

Late birthdays making the squad is not that uncommon. Almost every year you have one, sometimes two, fitting that profile. True underagers is far less common, no matter how talented.

Old
11-29-2012, 02:08 AM
monkeywrench

If Ewanyk does get invited to the camp do not write him. He would be a perfect 4th line center

Old
11-29-2012, 03:16 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Shinkaruk-MacKinnon-Monahan

All draft-eligible line.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:15 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=410489

Good article from Mckenzie.

Surprised me to see he has Hudon in the top6 (on the 2nd line).

His first line is Huberdeau, Nugent-Hopkins and Scheifele.

2nd, Hudon, Strome and Rattie.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Would really like to see MacKinnon get top 6 minutes.
But either way it is going to be awesome to be able to watch some hockey on TV again.

Old
11-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Macman

Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure Bob McKenzie wasn't randomly spouting off on national TV, I'm fairly confident he has had numerous discussions with both Steve Spott and Kevin Prendergast. His son is an assistant coach on Spott's staff in Kitchener, I think he might have a decent idea of what the brass is currently thinking.
That's the thing that scares me about his projections. He always knows what he's talking about. I agree with those who think we should be going with three scoring lines and one shutdown. This is a lockout year. Canada should be trying to score early and often and challenge everyone else to keep up.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Leviathan

"@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited. More likely to get invited next year when he's 16."

Does Bob not understand the Hockey Canada rules? Or does he know something we don't know?

He said 'I dont believe' McDavid will make it. McKenzie is always careful with his words; if he wanted to say McDavid was ineligible he could have stated that very clearly. By saying 'more likely' next year, you can infer that there was a comparable likelihood for this year's camp, otherwise that language is the wrong to use. (sorry ive been doing a lot of statutory interpretation lately)

What's up with that?

And for the record, since everyone knows I'm a McDavid fan - no I dont think McDavid should be invited even if somehow eligible.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
"@TSNBobMcKenzie
I don't believe Connor McDavid, as skilled and productive as he is, will be invited. More likely to get invited next year when he's 16."

Does Bob not understand the Hockey Canada rules? Or does he know something we don't know?

He said 'I dont believe' McDavid will make it. McKenzie is always careful with his words; if he wanted to say McDavid was ineligible he could have stated that very clearly. What's up with that?
While I don't doubt there exists such an internal HC rule or "policy" that prohibits underage players from participating at U20 events, I think HC applies this rule very selectively to players they like or don't like for one reason or another. I suggest to you there are some at HC who do not like certain aspects of Nathan Mackinnon's game, therefore dug up a previously unheard of rule this past summer to preclude Mackinnon from playing, forcing him instead to play with the U18 team. I'm sure, if HC saw fit for another player to forgo that policy they would. Working at HC are political people with their own agendas, who are chalk full of gross double standards.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
That's the thing that scares me about his projections. He always knows what he's talking about. I agree with those who think we should be going with three scoring lines and one shutdown. This is a lockout year. Canada should be trying to score early and often and challenge everyone else to keep up.
The word I'm hearing is no Drouin.. won't be invited and RNH is questionable.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
The word I'm hearing is no Drouin.. won't be invited and RNH is questionable.
Why is RNH questionable?

Old
11-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Why is RNH questionable?
No decision yet from Edmonton or an indication from him what he wants to do. According to SN, Hockey Canada and Edmonton have to settle a drop dead date, a fixed date by which even if there's a NHL resolution and camp opens, HC will not return him to Edmonton until after the tournament is over.

for the sake of argument, HC camp opens on the 10th. if there's no resolution by the 10th he belongs to HC until the tournament is over, even if there's an NHL and NHLPA resolution on the 15th and NHL camps open on the 18th. That sort of logistics.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Macman

Quote:
No decision yet from Edmonton or an indication from him what he wants to do. According to SN, Hockey Canada and Edmonton have to settle a drop dead date, a fixed date by which even if there's a NHL resolution and camp opens, HC will not return him to Edmonton until after the tournament is over.
Sounds reasonable. Here's hoping the lockout lasts a few more weeks.

As for Drouin, it will be a travesty if he doesn't at least get an invite to camp. Four points in one game against the near-Russian national team and, "Sorry, you're too young." It'll be unbelievable if true.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Atomos2
The Center of Hockey

Quote:
An atmosphere with a much lower level of talent? It's played in Russia where I don't think there is quite the level of fanaticism as Canada for a tournament featuring 19 year olds...

He also had 6 pts in 8 games as an 18 year old playing in the World Championships playing regularly on special teams...how did he "not do well" in the competition....

Also love how people say the WJC is a better level of competition than the AHL, the AHL is full of grown men, most of which who played in the WJC years ago most of which have progressed much farther in terms of skill/smarts/size since then.
Umm...Canada didn't win. He didn't get a medal...I thought that was obvious. I wasn't talking about what he did individually; he probably couldn't care less what he did individually.

Plus I didn't say anything about the level of competition. I said it was a different atmosphere. You are competing in a world tournament and representing your country. It has a greater effect.

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old
11-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Sounds reasonable. Here's hoping the lockout lasts a few more weeks.

As for Drouin, it will be a travesty if he doesn't at least get an invite to camp. Four points in one game against the near-Russian national team and, "Sorry, you're too young." It'll be unbelievable if true.
I can't see how they can ignore his numbers and not give him a look at camp... it makes no sense, but if true, its typical HC BS. Don't even give the coach the option of looking to see what they have in a few inter-squad games.. It will be dumb.

I'm not overly enthused with our coach either...so lets hope Subban gives us some championship caliber goaltending this year.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:16 AM
UsernameWasTaken
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I can't see how they can ignore his numbers and not give him a look at camp... it makes no sense, but if true, its typical HC BS. Don't even give the coach the option of looking to see what they have in a few inter-squad games.. It will be dumb.

I'm not overly enthused with our coach either...so lets hope Subban gives us some championship caliber goaltending this year.
i think spott will be involved in deciding who comes to camp, too. if he tells them he wants to see more of drouin then i'm sure he'll be invited. spott was at the Q subway series games...maybe drouin's not on his shortlist.

Closed Thread