HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Canada

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2012, 04:23 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
How can you come to that conclusion lol?
Sorry maybe he doesn't suck at wing, but he is better at center as he demonstrated in the SSS

Old
11-29-2012, 04:44 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
I think Canada will have more draft eligible forwards than usual. 2012 was a bit underwhelming when it comes to Canadian forwards.
Our top 4 forwards last year were Huberdeau, Strome, Schiefele and Stone. 3 of those guys were 18 at the time, and as a result will all be back.

The big problem last year was the number of 19 year old forwards in the NHL: Seguin, Skinner, Johansen, Couturier, DSP, Connolly. Obviously we got Connolly but he doesnt have the hockey IQ to dominate a WJC like a Seguin or a Skinner could

Old
11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
The big problem last year was the number of 19 year old forwards in the NHL: Seguin, Skinner, Johansen, Couturier, DSP, Connolly. Obviously we got Connolly but he doesnt have the hockey IQ to dominate a WJC like a Seguin or a Skinner could
It's pretty hard to dominate from the third line.

Old
11-29-2012, 06:01 PM
Alberta tough

Bob McKenzie's Goaltenders.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410569

Old
11-29-2012, 07:50 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Ottawa choosing not to release Zibanejad probably makes it easier for Edmonton to do the same with Nugent-Hopkins.
If RNH tells the Oilers he wants to play, he'll be there. It really is his choice now. The Oilers aren't going to piss of their #1 center, who they are probably hoping will take a discount on his next contract. Edmonton has a lot of big contracts that are going to be coming up. I'm sure they want to keep their future franchise center happy

Old
11-29-2012, 08:09 PM
jfb392

Quote:
DNBsports Just spoke to Hockey Canada head scout Kevin Prendergast. He said 14/15 #WHL players will likely be named Mon. to CAN's select. camp roster.
http://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/274292968846929920

Quote:
DNBsports More from Prendergast: The Edmonton Oilers will make a decision about Ryan Nugent-Hopkins this weekend.
http://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/274293313761337344

Quote:
DNBsports Prendergast is planning to invite 38 players to camp. He spoke very highly of #WHL leading scorer JC Lipon of the Kamloops Blazers.
http://twitter.com/DNBsports/status/274294310311178240

Old
11-29-2012, 08:33 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallz View Post
Based on team rumours from Bobby Mac and my personal preferences - this is the team I would send:

Huberdeau - RNH - Rattie
Drouin - Strome - MacKinnon
Hudon - Scheifele - Monahan
Danault - Jenner - Wilson

Hamilton - Rielly
Reinhart - Murphy
Harrington - Ouellet

Subban
Binnington
Very very solid line-up.. I think adding Drouin and MacKinnon add much more power up front.. I really like the third and fourth line as well.. Best line-up I saw so far..

Old
11-29-2012, 08:43 PM
canucksPK

i'm going to be livid if all three 2013 likelys don't make the team. I want to see Drouin, Monahan and Mackinnon in action against the top talent in the world. And they are already better than half the likelys to make team canada at F imo

Old
11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
i'm going to be livid if all three 2013 likelys don't make the team. I want to see Drouin, Monahan and Mackinnon in action against the top talent in the world. And they are already better than half the likelys to make team canada at F imo
Prepare to be livid then. It's still Hockey Canada y'know.

Old
11-29-2012, 08:59 PM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
If RNH tells the Oilers he wants to play, he'll be there. It really is his choice now. The Oilers aren't going to piss of their #1 center, who they are probably hoping will take a discount on his next contract. Edmonton has a lot of big contracts that are going to be coming up. I'm sure they want to keep their future franchise center happy
If he makes a fuss about it I agree that they will relent, but if he is on the fence about participating the Oilers are going to be the ones making the decision. Ottawa not sending Zibanejad at least gives them a recent precedent that they can cite.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
same thing

will the oilers even release RNH?

isnt he a key part in their AHL team
I get the feeling the Oilers will let him decide. That being said, I also do not think RNH will ask outright to go at all.

I think there is a good chance the Oilers speak with him and ask him what he wants to do and it will decided pretty quickly.

I have this feeling he doesn't end up going, I think he is enjoying playing with his friends in OKC and they are starting to really gel, I am not sure he will see a WJC experience exciting enough to go back as a professional.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
RJQuack

So who will those 15 be?

Rielly, Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Lipon, Rattie, Broissoit, Mcneill, Sissons, Ewanyk,

Maybe... St. Croix, Shinkaruk, Comrie, Wotherspoon, Siemens...

??

Old
11-29-2012, 09:15 PM
JetsHomer

Pulock probably. He's a third year chl vet so he has a chance.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I get the feeling the Oilers will let him decide. That being said, I also do not think RNH will ask outright to go at all.

I think there is a good chance the Oilers speak with him and ask him what he wants to do and it will decided pretty quickly.

I have this feeling he doesn't end up going, I think he is enjoying playing with his friends in OKC and they are starting to really gel, I am not sure he will see a WJC experience exciting enough to go back as a professional.
I agree with you, he will not go. When the oilers were in town last year I saw him and hall and a couple of others walking down town, they looked like teenage buddies. His friends are in the ahl not wjc. He has no reason to go over there. And as far as his development, AHL will be better , playing with hall and eberle. It's All wishful thinking for all who have him in the lineup, including myself.

Old
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I agree with you, he will not go. When the oilers were in town last year I saw him and hall and a couple of others walking down town, they looked like teenage buddies. His friends are in the ahl not wjc. He has no reason to go over there. And as far as his development, AHL will be better , playing with hall and eberle. It's All wishful thinking for all who have him in the lineup, including myself.
I like spending time with my buddies to. I'd rather dress for my country in an international competition. I think he'll go, but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't

Old
11-29-2012, 10:20 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I like spending time with my buddies to. I'd rather dress for my country in an international competition. I think he'll go, but I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't
That mindset changes quite a bit once you turn pro.
I'd actually be suprised if he decides to play.

Old
11-29-2012, 10:35 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
So who will those 15 be?

Rielly, Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Lipon, Rattie, Broissoit, Mcneill, Sissons, Ewanyk,

Maybe... St. Croix, Shinkaruk, Comrie, Wotherspoon, Siemens...

??
Rielly, Reinhart, Dumba, Pouliot, Pulock
Rattie, McNeill, Leipsic, Lipon, Ewanyk, Shinkaruk, Sissons, Lowry
Brossoit

Those are 14 right there I'm pretty confident will be invited

Old
11-29-2012, 11:01 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Hes not making NHL salary right now.... rough estimate, but if he misses about 8 - 9 games, he will probably lose about $7k.

Also even with the ridiculous North American start times, more people will still be watching him play than in the NHL.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
i won't be surprised if he ends up going...i think there's a lot of pressure for him to go, and given the relationship between prendergast and the oilers i think it makes it more likely.

but i agree w/ you. i think ppl are exaggerating how attractive playing at an u20 tournament is to him.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:33 PM
scout97

Whos the favorites for captain and assistants this year.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:39 PM
skip2mybordeleau
HF "Soft" Boards

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout97 View Post
with the injury to murray you can bet huberdeau is the C most likely, hamilton , strome and schiefele, harrington battaling for the a's i guess?

Old
11-29-2012, 11:45 PM
SDig14

Quote:
You'd have to think all the letters go to returning players.

Tough to say for sure, but ill say Hamilton gets the C.

Old
11-29-2012, 11:55 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
with the injury to murray you can bet huberdeau is the C most likely, hamilton , strome and schiefele, harrington battaling for the a's i guess?
Well Jenner, Harrington, Huberdeau and Danault all captain their clubs, I imagine them and RNH will be in consideration for letters

Old
11-30-2012, 12:01 AM
jfb392

Quote:
I'd say Huberdeau is probably the favourite for captain.
He's a returning player, was tied for second in scoring last year with Strome, has served as captain of his club team for two seasons, and was named captain during the summer series and the QMJHL stint of the Subway Series.
He's also appeared in three consecutive QMJHL Finals (won two) and two consecutive Memorial Cups (won one, in which he was MVP).

Old
11-30-2012, 12:27 AM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I'd say Huberdeau is probably the favourite for captain.
He's a returning player, was tied for second in scoring last year with Strome, has served as captain of his club team for two seasons, and was named captain during the summer series and the QMJHL stint of the Subway Series.
He's also appeared in three consecutive QMJHL Finals (won two) and two consecutive Memorial Cups (won one, in which he was MVP).

It's not usually the most obvious (Letang in '08, Chipchura '07, Hickey '09, Cormier '10). Everyone says Huberdeau or Hamilton, I'd go with Harrington. He's going to have the biggest role on the team shutting down the top players of the opposing team. I think Spott has a huge amount of faith in him. The rest of the returning players will rotate the A. (Jenner, Strome, Hamilton, Huberdeau). I hope I didn't miss any.

Edit

Forgot Schiefele/ and RNH if he's there

Last edited by Atomos2: 11-30-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Closed Thread