HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time

Old
12-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Apparently the fake signature wasn't a giveaway that I was poking fun at Black?
yea i got that... but i expect that excuse to be used... so i was replying

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:29 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldthing89 View Post
It seems they left too much in yesterday's game , not much left in the tank.

Just a game to forget.

PS: As we speak right now, Toronto is now out of playoffs !!!
Thanks Lindy and Darcy!

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:36 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
G: I was at work for this apparent **** show of a game.

B: 3 goalie changes? Really!?

U: We probably won't see changes any time soon

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:39 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

As i said before... It absolutely kills me how this team backed up a pretty decent game last night.

Old
12-17-2011, 10:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Rumblings for Darcy Regier and Lindy Ruff to be fired grow louder every year. They're the longest tenured GM-coach combination in the NHL.

In fact, there could come a time when one or both are sent packing. But if anyone is expecting a few more losses to lead them toward the door, think again. It's not happening any time soon.

"We haven't had an adequate sample size to find out how good our team can be," Black said. "Is there any thought of getting rid of Darcy or Lindy right now? No. None."
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle676991.ece

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:42 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
****ing kill me dead before the love for those two does.

Cmon Black get your ****ing head out of your ass. Is this how your Penguins were run?

Old
12-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Afino
The Juice

This team will NEVER win.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:09 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Oh man, that Gleason truly did some digging for these quotes. He was really asking Ted Black the hard-hitting questions.

I'm fairly certain he ripped these quotes from the WGR audio vault. Black said this a couple of weeks ago. Pegula's statements tonight give me a good feeling that SOMETHING will be done soon.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Ted Black

Pegula may love Lindy and Reiger, but I think he will pull the trigger on firing both of them soon if things don't change quick fast and in a hurry.

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:24 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Freaking travesty. I'm ready to talk about replacing Lindy if we can get somebody good. No re-treads.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:00 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

I'm curious as to when those quotes from Black are actually from. They're obviously not from tonight, which makes his article pretty lame since he published it after an 8-3 loss.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:12 AM
jfb392

Last time we had consecutive wins: 11/4 - 11/11 (four games).
The infamous Boston game was next.
Since then we've gone 6-7-3.

How we got there:
shootout win over Montréal (a struggling team)
loss to New Jersey at home on national TV (stolen by Brodeur, but we had lapses)
1-0 win over Carolina (terrible team)
another home loss to Phoenix (decent team)
shootout loss to Boston (and the players were happy with it)
atrocious loss to the Jackets (we all know how good they are)
5-1 win over a sleepwalking Washington (Boudreau fired shortly after)
home loss to the Islanders (outworked by a team that is always bad)
loss to the Wings at home (outclassed and outworked)
a win we didn't deserve over Nashville (stolen by Miller)
OT loss to Philadelphia at home (blew a 3-0 lead)
home win over the Panthers (snoozer)
home loss to the Rangers (again, outworked)
OT loss at home to Ottawa (outshot badly)
home win over Toronto (really good effort)
this debacle (one of the worst games in recent memory)

We're only two points away from being 12th in the East.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:14 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I'm curious as to when those quotes from Black are actually from. They're obviously not from tonight, which makes his article pretty lame since he published it after an 8-3 loss.
Its typical Bucky pot stirring.

Those comments were made on the Howard Simon show on 12/8. It was the morning after they collapsed against the Flyers. They've played 5 games since then. Basically ten days prior to when this article will appear in the paper (Sunday 12/18). Black may or may not have the same take now as he did then. But they are hardly fresh quotes.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Agreed it is indeed time..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Goose +3. That's pretty unbelievable.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:16 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Just do something to make me want to care about watching them again. There's just nothing to be excited about

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:04 AM
boots electric

it's too bad this all couldn't have happened sooner. i'd kill to have dineen behind the bench right now.

either way, i'm not really sure i agree with the "terry's too big of a homer to do what he has to" sentiment. god only knows what's going on behind the scenes right now. what he or black says in public is moot. when's the last time a owner or president came out and admitted they were going to fire their coach/gm?

boots electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Kruschiki

From what I could tell from the highlights, this loss was entirely goal-tending. Maybe Ruff should have started Enroth, but if I were to point to an example of why Ruff needs to be fired, it wouldn't be this game. If Miller had come in and played consistent after the 5th goal, and the Sabres still lost 5-3, he would have looked like he knew how to handle the goaltenders.

But it's tough to say that starting Miller was a bad coaching decision when Enroth comes in and struggles the way he did. Not sure I'd say he is in general mismanaging his goalies, as Enroth started looking like this before Miller came back.

This is really a perfect storm of unfortunate conditions.

1. We are stuck with a struggling goalie this year and a backup that is not ready for #1 duties.
2. We have some key personnel out with injuries and are attempting to use borderline AHL talent and rookies to plug the holes.

I've been wanting Ruff gone for years due to the Sabres playoff record since Briere/Drury, but like it or not, no one is going to blow up this team right now due to the above conditions and fire the coach and GM. It would make no sense. I would think that ownership has to let these guys fail or succeed in this environment, and if not, regroup in May. Unfortunately, we will have to sit through it.

Kruschiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
The Good -

- I missed this one completely.
- My DVR didn't record it.
- My sister's speech as part of her graduation presentation

The Bad -

- Didn't like the restaurant we went to afterwards.

The Ugly -

- Iced up backwoods roads between Olean and Ellicotville
- That the Fan 590 reported the score in this one reversed, as in Buffalo 8, Pittsburgh 3 on their 11:20 update.
- Watching the highlights of atrocious goaltending on NHL Network where they only showed 5 of the Pens first six goals.
- Miller and Enroth were out to lunch. Haven't seen the rest of the game to know how much suck could a duo suck, but they sucked to the power of suckage in those highlights.

12-18-2011, 07:49 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Good -

- I missed this one completely.
- My DVR didn't record it.
- My sister's speech as part of her graduation presentation

The Bad -

- Didn't like the restaurant we went to afterwards.

The Ugly -

- Iced up backwoods roads between Olean and Ellicotville
- That the Fan 590 reported the score in this one reversed, as in Buffalo 8, Pittsburgh 3 on their 11:20 update.
- Watching the highlights of atrocious goaltending on NHL Network where they only showed 5 of the Pens first six goals.
- Miller and Enroth were out to lunch. Haven't seen the rest of the game to know how much suck could a duo suck, but they sucked to the power of suckage in those highlights.
Count your blessings. The restaurant couldn't have been anywhere near as bad as the Sabres were.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:51 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Ugly-

To tell you the truth, I don't believe Miller was prepared to start last night. Evident of the quick 3 goals in the first. So, Ruff pulls him and puts in Enroth. Enroth while not standing on his head, did okay the rest of the first.

The 2nd period starts - Miller is in net. WTF. Pens score 53 seconds into the 2nd. Ruff looks like a d bag for putting Miller back in. Pens have 8 shots on goal in the 2nd, 2 of them go in against Miller.

Now - you have to think that Miller will be out there for the third to "work out" his issues and to save some sort of face on this game. Nope, Enroth is back in net. Ruff successfully ruined two goalies mental state in 40 minutes of hockey. Isn't any wonder why Pittsburgh nets two more in the 3rd against Enroth.

Then - you have to think back to the start of this debacle. Ruff has stated time and time again that we'll be using Enroth on the b2b nights. He goes against the grain with starting Miller. I'm assuming that players are now questioning Ruff's state of mind upon this decision. Not only that, but it sends a message to the team that Ruff doesn't hold his word and cannot be trusted.

And that's just the goalie issue. Then we pile on the dressing Gragnani, scratching McNabb factor. Ruff goes on to scratch the momentum turner from Friday nights game, when McNabb launched Grabovski.

Now what do the players think?

Sigh.

Last edited by TakeThatTootoo: 12-18-2011 at 07:56 AM.
TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:09 AM
oldgoalie
Things looking up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
To tell you the truth, I don't believe Miller was prepared to start last night. Evident of the quick 3 goals in the first. So, Ruff pulls him and puts in Enroth. Enroth while not standing on his head, did okay the rest of the first.

The 2nd period starts - Miller is in net. WTF. Pens score 53 seconds into the 2nd. Ruff looks like a d bag for putting Miller back in. Pens have 8 shots on goal in the 2nd, 2 of them go in against Miller.

Now - you have to think that Miller will be out there for the third to "work out" his issues and to save some sort of face on this game. Nope, Enroth is back in net. Ruff successfully ruined two goalies mental state in 40 minutes of hockey. Isn't any wonder why Pittsburgh nets two more in the 3rd against Enroth.

Then - you have to think back to the start of this debacle. Ruff has stated time and time again that we'll be using Enroth on the b2b nights. He goes against the grain with starting Miller. I'm assuming that players are now questioning Ruff's state of mind upon this decision. Not only that, but it sends a message to the team that Ruff doesn't hold his word and cannot be trusted.

And that's just the goalie issue.
Given Miller's suckness against Pittsburgh in general, why the hell did he even get the start on that alone?

oldgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:13 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Major change time.

Whatever the reasons, Miller has packed it in on this team. He isn't playing like he wants to be here and win.

Miller, Stafford, Ennis, dman (brennen, psyk, schisttel, etc), pick.

For either:

Bobby Ryan and Hiller package.

Or

Quick and Brown package. Include a swap of Stoll and Gausted in this one.

To many years past due with no leader on the ice, and no heart on the team. I still think there are players on the team that can be part of a winner but not this current bunch.

After the above trade done, take a flyer on a guy like Turris. This team could be ok with Roy, Pomms & Vanek on it, just as long as Roy is not counted on to be a leader.

Get Miller to the West Coast and make him happy.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:40 AM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanNorthPortFL View Post
Major change time.

Whatever the reasons, Miller has packed it in on this team. He isn't playing like he wants to be here and win.
As bad as he's been lately, I'm not even sure that would account for it.

I suppose if you add up all the potential off-ice and on-ice factors (new wife on the west coast, the team repeatedly not defending him when he gets ran, etc.), maybe you could get there, but I'm starting to wonder if something else is going on.

Lingering effects from a previous injury? A new undisclosed injury? Concussion-related issues? Blindness in one or both eyes? Partial paralysis?

I don't know, but this is by far the worst he's played in the 5 years I've been watching the Sabres on a regular basis. He's always struck me as a bit squirrelly (what goalie isn't?), but his play is bad enough now to make me think something more than just being disgruntled.

In fact, the way he's playing almost guarantees he won't be going anywhere any time soon. His contract would be hard enough to move if he were playing well. When he's playing like this, why would any team part with significant assets to acquire him? And you know Darcy won't part with him unless there's a very significant return coming back our way.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Sinter Klaas

vCash: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Speaking strictly for tonight, the Sabres defensive scheme was pretty decent. They only gave up 26 shots. The goaltending let them down in a big way.
Yes, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

The second goal was on the PP, but I counted 6 consecutive tape to tape passes before the shot was wired in by Pittsburgh. Of course the Sabres were mesmerized by all of the passing and attempted no shot blocking or tie ups in the high traffic areas.

The third goal was classic Sabres defense. The Pens are on a rush and MAG has his player watched from center ice on in. Instead of making an aggressive play or attempting a backcheck, he passively skates backwards waiting, waiting, waiting, and let's his player waltz right in and get off a high quality shot for a goal.

Sinter Klaas is offline   Reply With Quote