HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jacques Martin Fired V2.0

Old
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
7. What Montreal fans should be worried about -- what's going on? "Pure panic" is how one Canadien described it. When you look at the moves this year (Perry Pearn, Tomas Kaberle and now Jacques Martin), it's hard not to jump to that conclusion. There's a real belief that someone above GM Pierre Gauthier made the Martin decision and players sense Gauthier is in trouble, too. Very difficult to win under those circumstances.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Not good to have your players thinking this... Whether it's true or not.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-thoughts.html

Not good to have your players thinking this... Whether it's true or not.
8. Back when Cunneyworth coached AHL Rochester, there were people who really liked his bench work. This is a tough spot, though. Maybe people didn't like Martin's pulseless-looking style. But I'd like to see the coach who could have done better the last two years than Martin did.

No kidding.

Horrible mistake. Just brought us back 5 years basically. Brutal.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:11 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
that column, besides stating the obvious, could have been written by any resident smart-ass on here (yours truly excluded)

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:57 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
8. Back when Cunneyworth coached AHL Rochester, there were people who really liked his bench work. This is a tough spot, though. Maybe people didn't like Martin's pulseless-looking style. But I'd like to see the coach who could have done better the last two years than Martin did.

No kidding.

Horrible mistake. Just brought us back 5 years basically. Brutal.
Please explain, i will grab a beer from the fridge while you thnk this one out.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Please explain, i will grab a beer from the fridge while you thnk this one out.
Well, I could pull the Cunneyworth hasn't accomplished anything in the NHL yet card ...but I have nothing against Cunneyworth and wish him the best.

If you really want to know all you have to do is read the article I quoted. Explains pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Also go check my last post in the JM appreciation thread I explain it there as well.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Well, I could pull the Cunneyworth hasn't accomplished anything in the NHL yet card ...but I have nothing against Cunneyworth and wish him the best.

If you really want to know all you have to do is read the article I quoted. Explains pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Also go check my last post in the JM appreciation thread I explain it there as well.
I read it and meh ! Nothing logical in my eyes.
But hey, we are aloud to disagree right ?

Old
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
hockeyfan2k11

I'm pretty friggin pissed that Kirk isn't the head coach. Not taking anything away from Randy, but Kirk had paid his dues and understands Montreal and I think the fans would give him more of a shot just based on how much he's loved here. He's also well repsected in that dressing room and across the league. Of course, hindsight's 20/20 and I'm not pointing fingers at anyone. Just sucks the way things worked out because lets say he decided to stay another year as an assistant coach, he'd be our HC and it probably wouldn't be interim either.

He's exactly what this team needs IMO.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
I read it and meh ! Nothing logical in my eyes.
But hey, we are aloud to disagree right ?
Well, hey, you guys got what you wished for. A coach who's never coached in the NHL with an assistant nobody has even heard of, no sense of long term direction, a message to everyone that the Habs are in shambles when finally things were looking up...and to boot, another language debate!

Hope you enjoy.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:41 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Well, hey, you guys got what you wished for. A coach who's never coached in the NHL with an assistant nobody has even heard of, no sense of long term direction, a message to everyone that the Habs are in shambles when finally things were looking up...and to boot, another language debate!

Hope you enjoy.
Are you generalizing ? Because, yes I did want JM gone, but i do not remember me or ANY other HF board member here ask for RC. Now if you can find me one post to prove me wrong i will apologize. And if you go back and read my posts you will see that i asked for JM/PG canning. PG caused as much of a mess as JM did in this fiasco.
I was asking for a Randy but it wasn't Cunnyworth. So what you said was errenous.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Are you generalizing ? Because, yes I did want JM gone, but i do not remember me or ANY other HF board member here ask for RC. Now f you can find me one post to prove me wrong i will apologize. And if you go back and read my posts you will see that i asked for JM/PG canning. PG caused as much of a mess as JM did in this fiasco.
I was asking for a Randy but it wasn't Cunnyworth. So what you said was errenous.
I'm saying firing JM right now was stupid, short-sighted and reactionary. They don't have a replacement, the team was starting to show very clear signs of turning things around. Throwing in an interim coach right now when we're still well in the playoff hunt and things were looking up is not a good idea to say the least. If you're going to do something like this have a clear plan at least. That is why the move sets us back.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:46 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Are you generalizing ? Because, yes I did want JM gone, but i do not remember me or ANY other HF board member here ask for RC. Now if you can find me one post to prove me wrong i will apologize. And if you go back and read my posts you will see that i asked for JM/PG canning. PG caused as much of a mess as JM did in this fiasco.
It's funny a bunch of people ask for different management and coaches, yet what we'll see on the ice remains the same, and it really ain't that good to begin with compared to other teams such as Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit...

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
It's funny a bunch of people ask for different management and coaches, yet what we'll see on the ice remains the same, and it really ain't that good to begin with compared to other teams such as Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Detroit...
Thanks for proving my point PG is really a bad GM. And you forgot the Bruins.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
I'm saying firing JM right now was stupid, short-sighted and reactionary. They don't have a replacement, the team was starting to show very clear signs of turning things around. Throwing in an interim coach right now when we're still well in the playoff hunt and things were looking up is not a good idea to say the least. If you're going to do something like this have a clear plan at least.
Where? When? How? Frankly, this team has never been that good under Jacques. He rode a hot goalie and an unreal scoring performance by Cam. He's not the right coach for this team. Why keep him around?

This season is done. It's really not salvageable so I'm not sure why people are so angry about not having a replacement. There will be one in place in the offseason along with a new GM.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Thanks for proving my point PG is really a bad GM. And you forgot the Bruins.
and Minnesota.... Care to continue?

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Where? When? How? Frankly, this team has never been that good under Jacques. He rode a hot goalie and an unreal scoring performance by Cam. He's not the right coach for this team. Why keep him around?

This season is done. It's really not salvageable so I'm not sure why people are so angry about not having a replacement. There will be one in place in the offseason along with a new GM.
We were a couple points out of the playoffs when he got booted, the team collected at least one point in every game in December except for the game against Philly when the ref cost them a point. They were second in the entire league on the PK, solid 5 on 5 and the PP was turning around. I thought the guys on the bench looked more relaxed, communicative and having fun. The team was a few shootout wins and a reasonably decent PP away from being in 4th or 5th in the East right now. No, they weren't tearing up the league, but they went toe to toe with Philly (#1 in the East) last week and didn't look out of place at all. They weren't bad enough to warrant this mess, that is certain.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
We were a couple points out of the playoffs when he got booted, the team collected at least one point in every game in December except for the game against Philly when the ref cost them a point. They were second in the entire league on the PK, solid 5 on 5 and the PP was turning around. I thought the guys on the bench looked more relaxed, communicative and having fun. The team was a few shootout wins and a reasonably decent PP away from being in 4th or 5th in the East right now. No, they weren't tearing up the league, but they went toe to toe with Philly (#1 in the East) last week and didn't look out of place at all. They weren't bad enough to warrant this mess, that is certain.
- The PP still sucked.
- Many of those 1 point games were after coughing up 2,3 goal leads.
- Lost several games at home.
- The home crowd was the quietest I've heard in YEARS!
-We were 2 points out. However several teams ahead and behind us had 2-3 games in hand. So we were more like 6+ points out.
- A defensive system that could not protect a lead to save their lives.
- Losing to bad teams at home.
- Blaming the youth on the team for the struggles of the vets. LOL

Martin had to GO. And so does Gauthier. Yes, the team was a few shoutout wins away from wins, but the point is they shouldn't have been there to begin with.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:36 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
and Minnesota.... Care to continue?
Nope but thanks for proving it ! Nice of you.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:08 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
- The PP still sucked.
- Many of those 1 point games were after coughing up 2,3 goal leads.
- Lost several games at home.
- The home crowd was the quietest I've heard in YEARS!
-We were 2 points out. However several teams ahead and behind us had 2-3 games in hand. So we were more like 6+ points out.
- A defensive system that could not protect a lead to save their lives.
- Losing to bad teams at home.
- Blaming the youth on the team for the struggles of the vets. LOL

Martin had to GO. And so does Gauthier. Yes, the team was a few shoutout wins away from wins, but the point is they shouldn't have been there to begin with.
Well I guess they just fixed all of that then. Lets see how it plays out.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Harry Kakalovich

Strange move. Things could get ugly starting now.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

I hope everyone that was calling for Martins head is happy. We had one of the best coaches in the game, a coach who was bilingual, and we canned him and now we have this....

I consider this Gauthiers second misstep. First one was resigning Markov for 3 years.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I hope everyone that was calling for Martins head is happy. We had one of the best coaches in the game, a coach who was bilingual, and we canned him and now we have this....

I consider this Gauthiers second misstep. First one was resigning Markov for 3 years.
You might be right about the former (altho I believe JM lost part of the room and once that happens there's really no other choice), but you might be completely wrong about the latter.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You might be right about the former (altho I believe JM lost part of the room and once that happens there's really no other choice), but you might be completely wrong about the latter.
Well I've been consistent in regards to my thoughts on both. I think Gauthier is a good GM, pretty much every other decision has been sound, but his 2 misteps have been biggies...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

Two points out of a playoff spot when Jocko was fired despite the injuries and no PP effectiveness. The Kaberle deal was the shakeup attempt to get the PP going and the PP was looking better in those first 3 games with Kaberle. Martin should have been given more opportunity. Whether you like Martin or not, he brought stability and structure and you don't fire a coach unless you have a better solution. What we're seeing now is a complete debacle. Cunneyworth is a good hockey man who is being fed to the wolves (the whole language fiasco). Gauthier should have known he was opening Pandora's Box.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:21 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Two points out of a playoff spot when Jocko was fired despite the injuries and no PP effectiveness. The Kaberle deal was the shakeup attempt to get the PP going and the PP was looking better in those first 3 games with Kaberle. Martin should have been given more opportunity. Whether you like Martin or not, he brought stability and structure and you don't fire a coach unless you have a better solution. What we're seeing now is a complete debacle. Cunneyworth is a good hockey man who is being fed to the wolves (the whole language fiasco). Gauthier should have known he was opening Pandora's Box.
Completely agree. That firing was rash, unwarranted and came out of nowhere. I was optimistic that we'd turn the ship around slowly with Kaberle's acquisition. Now I think we bottom out.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Agree totally.

Firing JM was a classic knee-jerk reaction. Someone up there panicked. That excuse I read about the tendency of losing leads as an indication of the coach losing the bench was lame. It has more to do with the inexperienced defense than anything else. And you could argue that this defense was the result of the major gamble with Markov.

Now G.Molson wrote in the sky that Cunneyworth is only just a patchwork in the coaching position. Do you think players will actually give their all for the remainder of the season for a coach that won't be here next season? No (and that's only normal -- it's human nature).

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 12-19-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote