HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2011, 07:48 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

vCash: 500
my hexes sometimes work out for the leafs!

Old
12-22-2011, 07:53 PM
thepatient

give that man an extension

Old
12-23-2011, 08:41 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
There usually is a lot of talent on Olympic teams, they weren't the 2nd most talented team though. They overachieved and you seem to be ignoring that. You've even gone as far as to suggest Babcock's system was the way Canada beat the US, when it was much closer than it should have been given the gap in talent.
says who? says you? I suppose one can argue that Canada is was also not the most "talented/skilled" team as the Russians usually take that award. But on the International stage, I would say that each of Russia, Czech, Canada, Sweden, USA and even Finland to some extent have very little to choose between them for great players..it usually comes down to depth. Canada really excels at depth. I mean the calibre of Canadian players that DON'T make the squad is sick. I believe Canada is the only nation that could realistically ice two teams who could contend for medals. As far as top level talent goes however, not alot to choose between nations which is why there usually isn't a heavy favorite for these tournaments.

Old
12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
says who? says you? I suppose one can argue that Canada is was also not the most "talented/skilled" team as the Russians usually take that award. But on the International stage, I would say that each of Russia, Czech, Canada, Sweden, USA and even Finland to some extent have very little to choose between them for great players..it usually comes down to depth. Canada really excels at depth. I mean the calibre of Canadian players that DON'T make the squad is sick. I believe Canada is the only nation that could realistically ice two teams who could contend for medals. As far as top level talent goes however, not alot to choose between nations which is why there usually isn't a heavy favorite for these tournaments.
Says pretty well every hockey analyst around. If you believe otherwise you were in a very small minority or simply ignorant to the views at that time. They weren't picked by many to medal and definitely not to give Canada the run they did.

Canada was the favourite and likely had the most talent with the best player in the world (Crosby) and easily the deepest roster.

Last edited by EazyB97: 12-23-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old
12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreement View Post
tonight:

the leafs cannot score on the PP.

and they are getting scored on in the PK.

bye bye leafs. this season:

This post is ****ing priceless.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:59 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Says pretty well every hockey analyst around. If you believe otherwise you were in a very small minority or simply ignorant to the views at that time. They weren't picked by many to medal and definitely not to give Canada the run they did.

Canada was the favourite and likely had the most talent with the best player in the world (Crosby) and easily the deepest roster.
FORWARDS: David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ryan Malone, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny.

DEFENSEMEN: Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Brian Rafalski, Ryan Suter.

GOALTENDERS: Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Tim Thomas.

Red = Superstar or superstar potential
Blue = Young and high ceiling potential players
Bolded= Some of the best role players in the NHL

I think that you musn't know alot about hockey if you think that that roster with 2 of the top 5 goaltenders in the world to anchor it shouldn't be considered a viable team to win GOLD at the 2010 Olympics. Its tough to call is my point because all the major hockey powers could win any given tourney. The days of Canada or Russia being the heavy favorite are over.

Last edited by hockeyfanz: 12-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
thewave

Quote:
FORWARDS: David Backes, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Chris Drury, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Jamie Langenbrunner, Ryan Malone, Zach Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Paul Stastny.

DEFENSEMEN: Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Mike Komisarek, Paul Martin, Brooks Orpik, Brian Rafalski, Ryan Suter.

I think that you musn't know alot about hockey if you think that that roster with 2 of the top 5 goaltenders in the world to anchor it shouldn't be considered a viable team to win GOLD at the 2010 Olympics. Its tough to call is my point because all the major hockey powers could win any given tourney. The days of Canada or Russia being the heavy favorite are over.
Could even argue: Callahan + Rafalski as bolded and nobody would put up much fuss.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:59 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Maybe someone should reference the Olympic prediction thread to see what people thought.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:13 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Maybe someone should reference the Olympic prediction thread to see what people thought.
People think a lot of things. People also never thought Montreal would be in the cup in 1993 let alone win it 4 games to 1. That's half the problem in hockey, people listen to what people think to much. It's just like a polling system in the media. Someone will pick up on something someone discussed and everyone will jump on board if they feel they can sell it.

As for the Leafs and Wilson, well, the same things happen against the same sorts of teams repeatedly. The PK stays the same no matter who is swapped out for players. That is quite telling especially when looking back over 4 years worth of trends patterns let alone how obvious it is on the ice.

If the media all said Reimer is the best Goalie in the world would you believe them? If they told you the sky was brown would you believe them? If they told you Wilson is the Leafs #1 Star would you believe them?

Many questions...Many observations...Many stats but...and not to sound cheesy but literally on any given day they mean nothing in sports.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:14 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Could even argue: Callahan + Rafalski as bolded and nobody would put up much fuss.
I agree...Rafalski was a pretty decent defenseman...pretty under-rated for the most part. And Ryan Malone is a good gritty bottom 6 player (on Team USA) as well. The Americans as much as I hate to admit it, will be a thorn in Canada's side going forward. They will give Canada fits more than any other nation because they pretty much play the same brand of hockey.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Darcy Tucker

anyone else think theremedial and hockeyfanz are the same person??

Old
12-23-2011, 03:37 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
No more than you and EazyB97 being the same person. You're welcome.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
No more than you and EazyB97 being the same person. You're welcome.
im welcome for what

Old
12-23-2011, 03:41 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
TBH Rehab, my point is the Olympics is very hard to predict. The teams are so close. I remember Nagano where Canada finished 7th? And the year the US finished 8th and trashed their hotel rooms. It only takes one critical loss and you're done. And when the teams are so close its quite possible to have anybody win the tournament. Its the same in World Cup of Soccer where any one of 5 or 6 nations could win in any given year.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:43 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
im welcome for what
I dunno...you held up the "help" sign. I just helped you. You're welcome.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
T M L
The Big Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepatient View Post
give that man an extension
Yes, 3 wins in the last 10 games justifies this!

You have to look at the overall picture, not on a 1 game basis.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:30 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
TBH Rehab, my point is the Olympics is very hard to predict. The teams are so close. I remember Nagano where Canada finished 7th? And the year the US finished 8th and trashed their hotel rooms. It only takes one critical loss and you're done. And when the teams are so close its quite possible to have anybody win the tournament. Its the same in World Cup of Soccer where any one of 5 or 6 nations could win in any given year.
Want to know a secret?

Old
12-23-2011, 04:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

...I picked the Americans to do well, on the backs of Ryan Miller.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:47 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
No, hockeyfanz has more than one catchphrase.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:49 PM
AlmightyPO

Quote:
...I picked the Americans to do well, on the backs of Ryan Miller.
Didn't most people think they would do well?

Old
12-23-2011, 04:59 PM
dystemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Didn't most people think they would do well?
yes.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
leafsfuture

Saying Wilson needs to be fired doesnt mean hes a bad coach.

Like in any sport, the mental aspect of the game is absolutely crucial, and if the players lose the coach, or the coach develops biases, it may be time to change things up

Old
12-23-2011, 05:21 PM
EazyB97

Quote:

Nice list, now do it or every Olympic team and consider how those players were viewed at time.

It's cute you want to dismiss this as simply my opinion, but ideas the consensus at the time. Most people had them out of the medals.

Tim Thomas lost his job that year, a top 5 goaltender now and the year before but that was an off year for TT.

High ceiling players are great for the future, doesn't mean much for a 3 week tournament that happened almost 2 years ago. They weren't awful but they were viewed as a young team expected to finish out of the medals by most experts.

Last edited by EazyB97: 12-23-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Darcy Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dystemper View Post
yes.
not as well as the Russians, Swedes, Czechs and team Canada tho. USA was an afterthought and at the time had very few established stars outside of Parise and Miller. Wilson did a great job with them. If you guys want to downplay your home-team coach taking underdogs to a Silver medal and one goal from Gold then thats your perogative.

Old
12-23-2011, 05:43 PM
bjtkyo

I just hate the incredible fallacy of "he's a good coach, so we should keep him."

Plenty of great coaches, the best of all time, had to move teams because they were fired or not extended. Just because Wilson is a decent coach doesn't justify keeping him if he's not a good fit. Versteeg is a good player, but wasn't fitting in with Toronto and wasn't doing a great job.

Closed Thread