HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ron Wilson needs to be fired! 4 years of Failure.

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Kessley Snipes

vCash: 500
About as long as this thread will last methinks.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

I think you'd look like a fool standing there on your own, ranting about how Wilson needs to go.

There is a word for people like that, it isn't a nice one.

Old
12-19-2011, 09:11 PM
shasco

I want Wilson gone ASAP I don't care if him and Burke are friends, this is a business and frankly i want a winning team I'm tired of people constantly making fun of the leafs exp leafs suck ... Etc but in realitly we have no argument to that insult, so let's fix this obvious problem and part ways with Wilson, there are better coaches available right now and in fact better coaches in our own organization, I'm sorry Ron but you need to go, no more holding this team back,

Old
12-20-2011, 04:28 AM
DonthaveaCOWEN

check that...wrote that under the impression that most new hires (other teams assistant coaches/fired head coaches) won't be available until the off-season. Randy Carlyle would make the most sense imo

Old
12-20-2011, 04:35 AM
JoeLH

This team is playing exactly up to the potential. There's no superstar on the team (Kessel isn't, at least not yet), the team is not grown together over years. There is a nice depth in the organisation but the Maple Leafs still lack high end talent. There's Kessel, and a little bit Lupul, a few pretty solid guys on D. But no comparision to Boston, Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit or Pittsburgh. You'll need a magician behind the bench to bring this team into the play-offs without any problems.

Old
12-20-2011, 06:58 AM
marquee

Maybe it's just me but he's coaching like a man with his jobon the line. The constant shuffling of the lines mid game and rolling with Reimer are just signs imo.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:07 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee View Post
Maybe it's just me but he's coaching like a man with his jobon the line. The constant shuffling of the lines mid game and rolling with Reimer are just signs imo.
of course he is .........if they lose to the islanders fri i hope hes gone

Old
12-20-2011, 08:59 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinKevin View Post
Ron Wilson needs to go. What if Leafs fans protested? I don't think he'd last long if he were actually protested.
The shifts where the Leafs get hemmed in their own zone are great comedy.

It is like no two players are aware of where they are supposed to be, no sticks in lanes, no recognition of open point men, no anticipation of where passes may go ...

Burke has brought in:
  • players who are untrainable
  • they aren't being trained
  • they are being trained incorrectly

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

It is more likely Wilson will be FIRED if play continues. There is just something missing with this team, I can't point my figure as to what. Just the inconsistency is unbearable to watch.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo View Post
It is more likely Wilson will be FIRED if play continues. There is just something missing with this team, I can't point my figure as to what. Just the inconsistency is unbearable to watch.
This is an interesting area of discussion, other than Chara on Boston, who is the exception to the rule for almost any NHL team.

Let's look at our D to theirs man for man.

Omit Phaneuf for Chara. Boston edge. Are they really that much more talented than we are? Really it comes down to coaching, Claude Julien has them playing a system that insulates their D, talent wise their D is not head and shoulders better than ours, there has to be a reason why Boston's D is collectively the best in the NHL.

2. Boychuk - Gunnar
3. Seidenburg - Schenn
4. Ferrence - Gardiner
5. Corvo - Liles
6. Mcquade - Franson
7. Kampfer - Komi

Old
12-20-2011, 09:40 AM
Darcy Tucker

pretty sure having Thomas would make Wilson look a ton better.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:44 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
This is an interesting area of discussion, other than Chara on Boston, who is the exception to the rule for almost any NHL team.

Omit Phaneuf for Chara. Boston edge. Are they really that much more talented than we are? Really it comes down to coaching, Claude Julien has them playing a system that insulates their D, talent wise their D is not head and shoulders better than ours, there has to be a reason why Boston's D is collectively the best in the NHL.

2. Boychuk - Gunnar
3. Seidenburg - Schenn
4. Ferrence - Gardiner
5. Corvo - Liles
6. Mcquade - Franson
7. Kampfer - Komi
All 5 players play defense on the ice, not just the two designated "d-men". Boston's biggest asset if their team defense and goaltending, it's not the blueline that carries their team. The Bruins do a fantastic job winning battles, clearing scoring zones and keeping things to the outside. The actual d-men on the Leafs do an okay job on their own, but they lack the support from the forwards, which keeps them pinned in their own zone.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
pretty sure having Thomas would make Wilson look a ton better.
Not underestimating Tim, but Rask has similar save % also. Obviously the D deserve credit also.

Old
12-20-2011, 09:56 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
All 5 players play defense on the ice, not just the two designated "d-men". Boston's biggest asset if their team defense and goaltending, it's not the blueline that carries their team. The Bruins do a fantastic job winning battles, clearing scoring zones and keeping things to the outside. The actual d-men on the Leafs do an okay job on their own, but they lack the support from the forwards, which keeps them pinned in their own zone.
Agreed, and that is a problem directly related to the coach and his system more than player personnel issues for the most part..

Old
12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Agreed, and that is a problem directly related to the coach and his system more than player personnel issues for the most part..
No argument there

Old
12-20-2011, 10:32 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post

2. Boychuk 27 y/0 156 career NHl games, 374 AHL games-Gunnar 25 years old, 143 NHL, 12 AHL
3. Seidenburg 30 years old, 487 NHL games, 131 AHL games - Schenn 22 years old, 263 NHL, 0 AHL
4. Ferrence 32 years old, 670 NHL games, 88 AHL games- Gardiner 21 years old, 31 NHL Games, 10 AHL games
5. Corvo 34 years old, 600 NHL Games, 256 AHL Games- Liles 31 years old, 556 NHL Games, 5 AHL Games
Do you think age and experience is any factor?

Old
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit

Even if you don't think the problems with the special teams aren't directly related to Wilson and more related to the actual talent of players, he can still be held accountable for a number of other things. For example starting Reimer last night instead of Gusty. Yes he played well but Gusty had a good game against one of the best teams in the league on Saturday. And then he takes Bozak off the top line?? These things can DIRECTLY be traced back to the coach.

By the way, San Jose has the second worst penalty killing in the league and they have a great goaltender in Niemi (13-6-3, 2.39 GAA, .920 SV%) so don't tell me all you need is better goaltending and voila the penalty kill will be better.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Jackrabbit View Post
Even if you don't think the problems with the special teams aren't directly related to Wilson and more related to the actual talent of players, he can still be held accountable for a number of other things. For example starting Reimer last night instead of Gusty. Yes he played well but Gusty had a good game against one of the best teams in the league on Saturday. And then he takes Bozak off the top line?? These things can DIRECTLY be traced back to the coach.

By the way, San Jose has the second worst penalty killing in the league and they have a great goaltender in Niemi (13-6-3, 2.39 GAA, .920 SV%) so don't tell me all you need is better goaltending and voila the penalty kill will be better.
I have absoplutely no understanding of how Gus was gonna make a difference last night in a positive way.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Do you think age and experience is any factor?
Omitting Komi's experience and even Franson adds a lot more experience to the leafs blue line
Omitting McQuaid and Kampfer on the B's side removes the 2 guys with the least experience

Not really an even indicator if omissions are made to enhance a point.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
ThreeHundred

Our team lacks a lot of Natural Talent. But our PK is horrible and hasn't gottent any better since he was here. He's not a young players coach. I think he's a gonner

Old
12-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Jazz Jackrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I have absoplutely no understanding of how Gus was gonna make a difference last night in a positive way.
Well the thing is we now have the benefit of hindsight so perhaps it would not have made a difference. The point is RW doesn't seem to consistently go with the goalie that's playing the best, which I think is crucial for a team like the Leafs that is trying to get into the playoffs.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
of course he is .........if they lose to the islanders fri i hope hes gone
I'm sure Burke would wait until the 24th or 25th of December.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
haayward

It's funny how Burke's philosophy is too build from 'the net out' and D comes first. But stays with a coach who completely ignores the defensive aspect of the game and plays a run and gun style.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Jazz Jackrabbit

The way he builds a team does not necessarily have to equate to the style of game his team will play. Yes he builds from the net out but that doesn't mean his team is gonna start trapping like crazy. He's always emphasized that his team plays an "entertaining" style of hockey. Obviously I don't care how we do it as long as we win.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:24 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haayward View Post
It's funny how Burke's philosophy is too build from 'the net out' and D comes first. But stays with a coach who completely ignores the defensive aspect of the game and plays a run and gun style.
That Wilson completely ignores defence is a ridiculous statement.

Playing run and gun and having a strong goaltender and defence is the way to win in the playoffs.

Closed Thread