HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 3-2 to the Sharks

Old
12-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
One thing that really ticks me off about this team this year are their god freaking awful line changes. Another goal totally because of a line change, about 4 times this year the other team has virtually skated in all alone because we are caught with our defense changing.

Last I looked we also lead the league in bench minors. Just one aspect but annoying as heck.
It was a brutal play by Eager. When you have all day to clear the puck, and clear possession of the puck, teammates would reasonably expect a better play out than that. Eager had all kinds of options and realized it was a linechange coming up. To compound matters he offers up the awful pass, then jumps off for a linechange himself.
How an NHL vet can repeatedly make plays like that is beyond me. 5 cent brain.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
And this is why fans on boards like this get bent out of shape when the team plays poorly, young team or not. At the end of last year, pre season and just now management is talking up playoffs. It's a bit insulting to the fans intelligence.
Just shift your attention to the Oil Kings. I know that it's not pro hockey but it's certainly done wonders for me. There's a team that's done wonders with their development over the past three seasons.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tyrolean

I find it hard to believe this team will win another game before the end of the year. They came close but as most fans know they find ways to lose eventually.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
One thing that really ticks me off about this team this year are their god freaking awful line changes. Another goal totally because of a line change, about 4 times this year the other team has virtually skated in all alone because we are caught with our defense changing.

Last I looked we also lead the league in bench minors. Just one aspect but annoying as heck.
Yup...chalk that up to inexperience at the NHL level. Potter had a couple of brutal line changes tonight and Tuebert had a couple of beauty brain farts in that regard as well when he was here.

More examples of poor decision making.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The Oilers suck worse...thats the reality. Yes we have a lot of potential on this team but the reality is that Tambo is running it. If you want to feel confident about that then have at it.

Hemsy is coming off double shoulder surgery and sat for the better part of 2 years...believe it or not that makes a difference. Gagner has just recently overcome injuries as well. MPS is his own man and he needs to man up and play with some courage.
I don't see how Renney is to blame for any of those situations.
I'm still not really sure what Tambo is supposed to do. Nashville isn't going to hand Weber or Suter over on a silver platter. They would be stupid to do that. Vancouver traded for Booth and he promptly got injured. I wouldn't touch either Kaberle or Spacek.

Maybe a waiver wire pickup but even then. A good d-man is hard to come by, and a GM dumb enough to trade said d-man is even rarer. I'm really unsure of where this d-man we so desperately need is going to come from, and how much we have to give up for them.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:42 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
No kidding.

I suspected we were in trouble when Tambo originally said he thought Barker was a #2 dman.
I sensed trouble when Tambo's shopping list of improvements was:

Eager
Hordichuk
Sutton
Barker
Belanger

jebus

Old
12-18-2011, 01:43 AM
GMofOilers

Did Peckham play a game On our 6 game winning streak????

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:44 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm still not really sure what Tambo is supposed to do. Nashville isn't going to hand Weber or Suter over on a silver platter. They would be stupid to do that. Vancouver traded for Booth and he promptly got injured. I wouldn't touch either Kaberle or Spacek.

Maybe a waiver wire pickup but even then. A good d-man is hard to come by, and a GM dumb enough to trade said d-man is even rarer. I'm really unsure of where this d-man we so desperately need is going to come from, and how much we have to give up for them.
I don't think this team needs Weber or Suter although it would be great to watch a player of that caliber on this team.

I think the team would be greatly improved with 6 legitimate NHL defencemen.

Old
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
And this is why fans on boards like this get bent out of shape when the team plays poorly, young team or not. At the end of last year, pre season and just now management is talking up playoffs. It's a bit insulting to the fans intelligence.
And honestly it will stay the same till it starts insulting Katz's intelligence, and I have a feeling he will see through the Tambo lip service.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't really get all riled up by the playoff talk either. Every GM in the league will say their goal is to make the playoffs going into the season and every GM with a team within 5-7 points of the playoffs will always say they're aiming for the post-season until they're mathematically eliminated.

It's just PR fluff, I don't take it seriously to begin with.

The NHL is crazy enough where strange things happen practically every year too -- look at Florida and Minnesota this year and look at where Washington and L.A. are sitting.
I could buy that if this was Calgary and we were cheering for the Flames but we're coming off back to back 30th place finishes. Any minimal improvement is welcome but they look like they're on the fast track back to the bottom of the league right now. Don't insult us by insinuating that the team is good enough, Tambi.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:45 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This is pretty hard on Smyth. Its not that his conditioning is bad its that his minutes and efficacy are all predicated on downlow greasy play and fighting for inches in the paint. Try doing what Smyth does in a game. Its a very physical style with tons of puck battle involved. He's all over the ice and doesn't take it easy on shifts. He's been getting too many minutes for what his style of play is.

He doesn't play an economical game. Its high energy all the way. How much of that can a player do?
I'm surprised you're jumping in on that one, Replacement -- aren't you a big advocate of cold logic, and sentimentality be damned? He isn't as effective because he doesn't have the same vigour and he can't change his style of play now. Fair enough...but if he gets signed to a long term deal and ends up not earning the contract, well...

Anyways, not to sidetrack. The effort wasn't as bad, but the results are the same and thus the anger of fans venting. Did I see Hemsky still wearing one of the 'A's incidentally? Now that is a complete joke.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Quote:
I'm still not really sure what Tambo is supposed to do.
He was supposed to do it before the season even started. Only a bunch of AHL scrubs and castoffs from other teams showed up at training camp while our #1 D was hurting at home.

That's not supposed to set off any alarm bells?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So here is a question, lets say by Jan 10th we're still coming up short in majority of the games.

Hypothetically if we sit around 25th in the league, do you turf Tambo mid-season? Hire someone outside the organization?

12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I don't think this team needs Weber or Suter although it would be great to watch a player of that caliber on this team.

I think the team would be greatly improved with 6 legitimate NHL defencemen.
You'd be hard pressed to find a team not named Chicago or Detroit with those.

And again, they're not going to give them up unless they have an absolute surplus.

Heck even the Wild don't have 6 legitimate NHL defensemen and they're still doing fine.

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Did Peckham play a game On our 6 game winning streak????
What a horrible excuse of a D. Just get rid of him. Can't comprehend or play a system to save his life.

Proof positive that +/- sometimes doesn't mean bugger all.

Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
I sensed trouble when Tambo's shopping list of improvements was:

Eager
Hordichuk
Sutton
Barker
Belanger

jebus
I hear you.
I know I am probably completely alone on this but I still have some hope for Belanger. I watched him a bit last season and he looks like he has little to no confidence this year.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:47 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take the Shot View Post
He was supposed to do it before the season even started. Only a bunch of AHL scrubs and castoffs from other teams showed up at training camp while our #1 D was hurting at home.

That's not supposed to set off any alarm bells?
Supposed to do what? Who were we supposed to sign and/or trade for? Maybe we could've conned the Flames for Regehr?

Old
12-18-2011, 01:47 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I hear you.
I know I am probably completely alone on this but I still have some hope for Belanger. I watched him a bit last season and he looks like he has little to no confidence this year.
That seems to be the case when a lot of players become Oilers. It's only a matter of time before it happens to our "young guns" if things don't improve.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:48 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a team not named Chicago or Detroit with those.

And again, they're not going to give them up unless they have an absolute surplus.

Heck even the Wild don't have 6 legitimate NHL defensemen and they're still doing fine.

Most teams have at least 5.
The Oilers have 3 right now...its not nearly good enough.

Tambo had a chance in the off season to improve the D...he failed.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:49 AM
North

Things could be worse.

We could be the Sabres, where just today the owner took a pot shot at the goalie. Yikes.

I understand being upset about Tambo saying the Oil could challenge for a playoff spot, but most GMs will say that. He's not going to say, they can't.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
What a horrible excuse of a D. Just get rid of him. Can't comprehend or play a system to save his life.

Proof positive that +/- sometimes doesn't mean bugger all.
If they had any sense he'd be in OKC. But hey, it took them almost three months to figure out that Paajarvi should be there so I don't have much hope for Renney and company.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I could buy that if this was Calgary and we were cheering for the Flames but we're coming off back to back 30th place finishes. Any minimal improvement is welcome but they look like they're on the fast track back to the bottom of the league right now. Don't insult us by insinuating that the team is good enough, Tambi.
Not that I even like the guy all that much, but no GM in his right mind can say "we have no shot at the playoffs".

What message does that send the team? That would be grossly irresponsible especially if the team was destined to make a freak run towards the end of of the season (the 07-08 Oilers almost made it with a late run despite having a ton of holes on the roster).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Most teams have at least 5.
The Oilers have 3 right now...its not nearly good enough.

Tambo had a chance in the off season to improve the D...he failed.
Again I ask, who was he supposed to get? Given that our GAA is down this year I'd say there's some improvement.

Old
12-18-2011, 01:50 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Quote:
Supposed to do what? Who were we supposed to sign and/or trade for? Maybe we could've conned the Flames for Regehr?
So I guess it's not possible for a GM to obtain NHL quality defensemen for what's supposed to be an NHL team? Wow, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. Too bad most of the other teams have done it.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:50 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That seems to be the case when a lot of players become Oilers. It's only a matter of time before it happens to our "young guns" if things don't improve.
That's on coaching moreso than the GM IMO.
MacT sucked the life out of a lot of players that seemed to do better elsewhere and it's happening again with a similar style of coach.
It makes you who the real problem is, i'm thinking that it's more on the coaching more than anything else.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote