HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Another chance for our favourite Alaskan?

Old
12-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Erik Estrada

vCash: 500
If it's between him and Eller as 3rd line center, I pick Eller 10 times out of 10... Like the other vets that have been sucking it under JM, I'll see what he does under Cunneyworth. I'll buy the stifling story under one coach, not two.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:37 PM
WHY LIE GUY

Gomez would be a PPG player this season if Gionta didn't fan on so many perfect setups.

Obviously a bit of an exaggeration, but I remember a game where Gionta whiffed on 3 perfect passes right in the slot from Gomez.

I'd still take him on the PP over guys like DD or Eller.

WHY LIE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:43 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Listen....people can say what they like about Scott Gomez...but at least when he plays, he puts in an honest effort on the ice and works hard to create chances.
Have you watched him play?

Quote:
This Jacques Martin firing was a bad mistake....Martin was NOT the problem with the Habs!!! The man is an excellent veteran coach
Over the past year I have had the opportunity to get the opinions of two now-retired players who had Martin as a coach (not in Montreal). They both said he was one of the worst coaches they ever played for... didn't communicate, stubborn, poor understanding of the game... and the list went on. Neither had much good to say about him... and neither thought he was an excellent veteran coach.

Of course that was their opinions...

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:48 PM
HCH

I would like the team to give Gomez one last shot... but at left wing. He can still skate but I just don't think he has the tools to be effective at centre, especially in our own end. He's already on the roster and if it doesn't work out, it hasn't cost us anything. My expectations are pretty low, but every player in the organization needs to be evaluated to determine the best course of action for the future.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:31 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
just like the fallacy that a top 3 guy should have 70 points, i see that the 'it only happens to us' fallacy is alive and well.

is this post from last year? gomez? man, he hasn't even played in 3 weeks...
wut? This thread is ABOUT Scott Gomez. And the "it only happens to us" is not based on other teams not missing chances, but the good ones finish. Particularly against us. Do you know how many goalies we've made look great this season? Is the whole Cammalleri frustration not about his finishing mostly? Nobody would care about his soft play without the puck or against the boards if he was sniping them. I always get the feeling he likes to conserve energy cuz he really wants to SCORE the next goal rather than be the guy who gets the assist, given that's how he's perceived, a scorer. Anyway, many people have noticed Gomez trying hard this season and it's really just goals he's had a tough time with, not his role as a playmaker. Point being: Gomez is not as bad as people think THIS YEAR. He's actually quite useful.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
neofury*

I would pull a total if it really was a coaching problem and all of the sudden he returned to form. That would really be quite bad to be honest. Would be happy for the team but angry at the situation. Who knows though new coaching might help Gio too.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:45 PM
MathMan

Simple regression to the mean tells us he'll get better, but it's a good chance for Cunneyworth to get some credit with the media and fanbase.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Maybe our 7.3 Million dollar man, Scott Gomez, will find a new wind under Cunneyworth? He was playing Jacques system to a tee, just not producing anything. Maybe a more puck-possession team would benefit his soft hands and chemistry with Gionta?

I'm as big a hater on Gomez as possible but this could be a very good silver lining! (It'll raise his value at the very least!)

Anyone willing to offer any thoughts?
I think an enema might produce more of a reaction than a new coach.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Habs13

Do any of you remember how happy Rangers fans were when we traded for that over-paid sack of ****? Yet people still think this is just because he couldn't play Martin's system? Gomez is DONE. Wasn't ever a star to begin with.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:50 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Simple regression to the mean tells us he'll get better, but it's a good chance for Cunneyworth to get some credit with the media and fanbase.
It isn't really that simple. Sometimes players just regress or are a bad fit.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:09 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
It isn't really that simple. Sometimes players just regress or are a bad fit.
They do, but they do not look like Scott Gomez when it happens.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:35 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
They do, but they do not look like Scott Gomez when it happens.
You mean goalless?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:36 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
You mean goalless?
Players who lose a step end up not creating chances and allowing more. That is not Scott Gomez.

Old
12-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Palin is back in the running for 2012?

Oh noes!

Another Gomez thread.

Bloumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:45 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

I'll give him 3-games under Cunneyworth. If I see the same old Gomez, I will be on his case again. If I see a determined Gomez, I'll let it slide for about 10-games if he doesn't produce.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:53 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
wut? This thread is ABOUT Scott Gomez. And the "it only happens to us" is not based on other teams not missing chances, but the good ones finish. Particularly against us. Do you know how many goalies we've made look great this season? Is the whole Cammalleri frustration not about his finishing mostly? Nobody would care about his soft play without the puck or against the boards if he was sniping them. I always get the feeling he likes to conserve energy cuz he really wants to SCORE the next goal rather than be the guy who gets the assist, given that's how he's perceived, a scorer. Anyway, many people have noticed Gomez trying hard this season and it's really just goals he's had a tough time with, not his role as a playmaker. Point being: Gomez is not as bad as people think THIS YEAR. He's actually quite useful.
well, that makes two of us.

problem is: no points were put on the board and he reverted back to his old habits quickly. and im all up for a second - or is fifth - chance with him though. might as well try to get him going. again.

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Getting Gomez back might make us a better team today but the experience Desharnais and Eller are getting right now will make us a much better team in 2-3 years than whatever Gomez does this season. If he stays it better be on the wing.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:20 PM
j52

My favourite Alaskan is Buck the dog.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:21 PM
j52

Perhaps someone can nominate Gomer as VP for Palin.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Dubinsky?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:30 PM
m00ks

Nothing's gonna change. Where would he be slotted and who will he set up?

Unless he finds some very very unexpected chemistry with Eller and Gionta at either wing or C, I don't think we'll see any improvements.

OT but as good as the Cole-DD-Paciorety line is, I was hoping the sized wingers would be spread out rather than be on the same line. Just so happens they are the only productive trio and cannot be separated.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:33 PM
OpenIceHit

NO! The Gomez experiment is over! Let's use his 7.3M to improve this team.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:39 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Maybe our 7.3 Million dollar man, Scott Gomez, will find a new wind under Cunneyworth? He was playing Jacques system to a tee, just not producing anything. Maybe a more puck-possession team would benefit his soft hands and chemistry with Gionta?

I'm as big a hater on Gomez as possible but this could be a very good silver lining! (It'll raise his value at the very least!)

Anyone willing to offer any thoughts?
what do you think....of course it is...its not like the Habs are going to put Gomez in the minors so when hes healthy he is going to be in the lineup

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:47 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
He can't get any worse...
Tony Marinaro said the same thing before the season started. But it can always get worse. He can come back, play 40 games and not register a point.

I don't think Gomez's problem was Martin's system. I think it was Gomez's system. He has two basic moves once he crosses the offensive zone and keeps repeating them.

Last edited by onice: 12-18-2011 at 06:55 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote