HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Fickle Fate of Jeff Finger

Old
12-18-2011, 09:52 AM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
The Fickle Fate of Jeff Finger

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/18...fate-of-finger

Quote:
Every time Jeff Finger pulls on the Toronto Marlies sweater, he’s hoping for two things — that the team plays well and wins, and that he plays well and a scout from another NHL organization takes notice.

“That’s all I have got right now,” said Finger. “That’s all I really have.”

Finger is having a good season with the Marlies — a plus-five with seven points in 19 games. He also brings a physical element to a team not blessed with a ton of bruising defencemen.

But the Houghton, Mich., native realizes that no matter how well he plays, he’s almost certainly never going to see the inside of the Maple Leafs dressing room again. He realizes that, for the rest of the season, he’ll be taking long bus rides to glamorous bergs such as Peoria and Rockford.

All he can do is play hard every night and when his four-year, $14-million US contract with the Leafs expires at the end of this season, try to hook up with another NHL team.

“I know that they’ve already moved on,” said Finger, when asked about the Leafs. He turns 32 years old today (Sunday), not young in pro hockey years, but believes that he still has enough left in the tank to help a team at the NHL level. The Leafs are blessed with depth and youth on defence, and with a salary that pays him $3.5 million a season, Finger is not going anywhere anytime soon.

He was placed waivers at the beginning of last season and then sent down the Marlies, where he has remained since.

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

I find it hard to feel bad for people getting paid 3.5 million a year to play hockey. With that said, hopefully he can find a home on an NHL team after his contract is up.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Bob Loblawbrovsky
Ottawa Insecurities

Poor Jeff...

"...with a salary that pays him $3.5 million a season..."

Just kidding.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:57 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy making 14 million to play hockey for 4 years.

He should be sending Fletcher awesome Christmas gift baskets every year for the rest of his life.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Paris in Flames

Yeah ge's making enough to compensate for the bus rides and lack of glamour.

That said, it's not his fault Fletcher was insane. I think he's a NHL quality defencemen if on the right deal so the best of luck to him next year.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If his cap hit was $1M would he be on the big team now?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:07 AM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
If his cap hit was $1M would he be on the big team now?
If his cap hit was $1M, he'd probably have been traded for a 4th line scrub or a late pick a while ago. Otherwise he'd have been picked up on waivers if we would have waived him still.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Paris in Flames

I think anything under $2 million and he's in the NHL. Probably not here but somewhere.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Yes, I acknowledge that Finger is an NHL-level player but he has last played like an $1M player.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
allyb

Send a message via ICQ to allyb Send a message via Yahoo to allyb
good luck to the guy, so many moaners and whingers everywhere , i hope he gets a few seasons in the nhl before he retires

allyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:56 AM
hatterson
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paris in Flames View Post
Yeah ge's making enough to compensate for the bus rides and lack of glamour.

That said, it's not his fault Fletcher was insane. I think he's a NHL quality defencemen if on the right deal so the best of luck to him next year.
He makes enough so that, if he really wanted to, he could buy his own plane and fly himself to every game.

Hard to feel sorry for a guy making nearly as much per week as I make in a year, but I still hope he finds a spot in the NHL next year.

12-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Daniel Tolensky of hockeybuzz.com was confused about the signing when he heard Cliff Fletcher and Ron Wilson’s rationale:

“A lot of people in Toronto are asking me, ‘Who the hell is Jeff Finger?’ simply because they haven’t seen him play. But, [former Colorado coach] Joel Quennville told me he was one of the five best defensemen in the Western Conference last year. He played against the best players on every other team. [Leafs’ coach] Ron Wilson told me he was always on the ice in San Jose games against Joe Thornton. Same thing with Jarome Iginla in Calgary, or the Sedin twins [Henrik and Daniel] in Vancouver. Quennville said [Finger] was his best defenseman in the last half of the year.” – Cliff Fletcher

“I’m not BS-ing. He was the most improved defencemen at the end of the year in the Western Conference. He averaged almost 20 minutes [for the season], and in the first 30 games he didn’t play more than 10 in a game.” – Ron Wilson

Tolensky did a little investigating to see whether there was any truth to these quotes. First, he disproved Wilson’s idea that Finger didn’t play more than 10 minutes a game in the first 30 games of the season. In fact, he averaged 18.37 minutes a game during this time, and was under 14 minutes only twice (12:23 and 11:19). I would say that was missing the mark by a lot, Ron Wilson. I wonder what you would’ve said if you were ‘BS-ing’.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16019
Ron Wilson couldn't stop singing his praises in support of bringing in Jeff Finger during the diligence process.

Enough said.

So long Jeff, your time in TO has past. Don't spend all your money in the same place.

12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
tacoburrito

he had to have known we wouldn't be in the nhl making that kinda money... i dont know what he expected

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:18 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Ron Wilson couldn't stop singing his praises in support of bringing in Jeff Finger during the diligence process.

Enough said.

So long Jeff, your time in TO has past. Don't spend all your money in the same place.
Funny. You couldn't stop singing his praises a few years back. You know, mister even strength points from a defenceman.

You justified that deal from Kelowna to Toronto to Denver and back again.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I think we should stick him in the dike.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Fabs

Just can't feel bad for the guy. Sure the Leafs overpaid him, but when you sign that contract you'd better be able to live up to it. Players all know what the consequences can be otherwise.

Fabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:28 AM
calvo2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I have a hard time feeling bad for a guy making 14 million to play hockey for 4 years.

He should be sending Fletcher awesome Christmas gift baskets every year for the rest of his life.
You know I’m tired of ppl ridiculing a guy because he’s making millions….first someone had to offer it to him…would you turn it down? At least this guy is trying to still play in the NHL…he could just take his money and not worry about getting back to the show…it’s not his playing in some place where there is only like 30.000 people in town where everyone hangs out at the local wendys….lets give this a rest

calvo2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:41 AM
FrozenJagrt

Finger is a solid player. I hope he finds his way back into the NHL. He's just a victim of numbers.

FrozenJagrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:44 AM
My Sweet Shadow

Tough to feel bad for a guy making $3.5M for playing in the AHL, but it's still has to suck these last few years toiling away in the minors thanks to a dumb signing by Fletcher. You'd think he'd probably rather be making $1.5M playing consistently on an NHL team that could use his services. He was actually a really useful bottom pairing defenseman.

My Sweet Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:51 AM
Christ

I don't feel sorry for Finger in the slightest. He is being paid more than enough money to compensate for not being in the NHL...the guy is literally set for life. He is a fringe NHL player being payed like an above average defender.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
haha i met his gf down in gainesville FL at the gators seminoles game a few weeks ago. they met in the dominican at a resort. i was on my phone and have a dion background so sure enough she was like wtf ur a leaf fan since thats obviously not too common there. but long story short ya she said exactly what this article entails, he just riding out his contract and hoping to get back in the nhl at the end of it.

and yes shes an absolute smoke.

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:00 PM
GrizzLeaf

I wonder if the irony is not lost on some players that hold out for more cash. Careful what you wish for. You just might get it.

GrizzLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Hope he makes another nhl squad next season. Best of luck to you Mr. Finger.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:07 PM
number72

This is cap circumvention by Burke. He is good enough to play in NHL.
But not good enough at his salary.
Call a spade a spade - Burke screwed him over for cap purposes.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Stephen

I actually do feel bad for him in a way, but I feel worse for Wade Redden.

The money is fantastic, but it's a rare and special thing to be an NHLer, something he basically is, and he has been kept away from that due to some weird circumstances. I feel worse for Wade Redden because he was once an all-star who is 6 games away from 1000 and is probably never going to see the NHL again because of the monstrous contract he signed, even though he can still sort of play.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote