HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Fickle Fate of Jeff Finger

Old
12-18-2011, 01:55 PM
hdtrax

vCash: 500
I do feel bad for him. You can't blame the player for the contract he was offered; it's on the GM (among the many idiotic moves Fletch made). He's definitely a 6th d-man, and I expect to see him suiting up in the NHL a year from now (obviously for a different team).

hdtrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:20 PM
htpwn

I wonder why Finger didn't ask to be loaned to a European club. Better to play in somewhere like Zurich than riding the buses in the AHL IMO.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:25 PM
AStanley

Rumour has it, that Fletch was thinking about another d-man, and signed Finger by mistake.

AStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Punkeater

At least Burke had the balls to put him in the minors. I wish PG would do the same with Gomez but it wont happen this season again I guess...

Punkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
This is cap circumvention by Burke. He is good enough to play in NHL.
But not good enough at his salary.
Call a spade a spade - Burke screwed him over for cap purposes.
How did Burke screw him over? He is still getting paid the same salary. Yes, he might be good enough to play in the NHL but not over anyone we currently have on the roster. If Finger had have outplayed our other NHL defenders, you can bet that Burke would have found a way to keep him...most likely by dumping another player with a high salary.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:47 PM
johnny_rudeboy

I actually think he was a useful 3rd pairing d-man. Problem was he was paid as a #3 guy.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:57 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

Quote:
This is cap circumvention by Burke. He is good enough to play in NHL.
But not good enough at his salary.
Call a spade a spade - Burke screwed him over for cap purposes.
how is it circumvention when you have 8 players ahead of him on the depth chart? there's only so many available roster spots in the NHL and finger isn't the only victim of the numbers game.

Saul Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Zrinski

at whoever suggested this is cap circumvention. Putting a defenceman in the minors when there are at least 7 better options is not circumventing the cap. That's also why waivers exist, to stop GMs from hoarding NHL talent in the AHL. 30 teams in the NHL could have this guy if he were worth his contract. Also, last season there was enough cap space to keep him on the team if he earned a spot in camp, which he failed to do.

Anyway, I'm sure that come the trade deadline if we have the 1.75 mil in cap space Burke will put him on re-entry and give him a shot. Worst case scenario for him is a league min contract next season, I'm sure some team out there will take a chance on him.

Zrinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStanley View Post
Rumour has it, that Fletch was thinking about another d-man, and signed Finger by mistake.
Kurt Sauer. I have also read this conspiracy theory in the past.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:18 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrinski View Post
at whoever suggested this is cap circumvention. Putting a defenceman in the minors when there are at least 7 better options is not circumventing the cap. That's also why waivers exist, to stop GMs from hoarding NHL talent in the AHL. 30 teams in the NHL could have this guy if he were worth his contract. Also, last season there was enough cap space to keep him on the team if he earned a spot in camp, which he failed to do.

Anyway, I'm sure that come the trade deadline if we have the 1.75 mil in cap space Burke will put him on re-entry and give him a shot. Worst case scenario for him is a league min contract next season, I'm sure some team out there will take a chance on him.
I suppose oiler fans said the same about Sheldon Souray and well rangers fans feel that Wade Redden deserve to be in the AHL as well. The fact is, Burke is lucky that leafs have $$$$ to spend by stuffing him in the AHL unlike some other GMs/teams who could not afford to do it. Think it through, if Burke didn't have money he would be forced to carry Finger at a bottom d pairing.

Is Finger good enough to play as bottom 5, 6 or 7 dman in this league. Yes.
Is he worth his 3M cap hit. No.

Is Burke is violating the spirit of the cap policy. I say yes.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:08 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Kurt Sauer. I have also read this conspiracy theory in the past.
Well, in a cruel twist, the Leafs did end up getting the right d-man. Finger at least provides some defensive depth for the Marlies and is also a good mentor there. Sauer hasn't played in 3 years.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Wasn't Sauer the guy Dion knocked out, in Rags game a couple of weeks back.

I know it was Schenn-->Anisimov
Steckel-->Del Zotto

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Cool Beans Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post

Steckel-->Del Zotto
Phaneuf --> Michael Sauer

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:15 PM
driver3000

Quote:
Is Finger good enough to play as bottom 5, 6 or 7 dman in this league. Yes.
Is he worth his 3M cap hit. No.

Is Burke is violating the spirit of the cap policy. I say yes.
Tell me... Who exactly would you place him ahead of? Go through the list, one by one and get back to me. The guy is 32 and at the most a 7th D-man on a team with a weak back-end. Even that is a stretch.

Additionally, how is he violating any "spirit"? Someone who is worse than the 7 guys ahead of him plays in the minors. That's not breaking spirit, that's putting a guy in a place where he belongs.

driver3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:33 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs View Post
Just can't feel bad for the guy. Sure the Leafs overpaid him, but when you sign that contract you'd better be able to live up to it. Players all know what the consequences can be otherwise.
True enough. I don't feel too bad for him in terms of his financial situation and the fact he strill gets to play hockey for a living, but I think anyone can understand the frustration that comes in not getting the challenge or chance you want you think you deserve. Money isn't everything, basically.

I imagine another team would take a chance on him if he was on a much smaller contract so that only makes it more difficult. I am glad he isn't playing in our lineup based on what he showed before, but much of our defensive game is inconsistent. I think it is very possible he could succeed in another system. Just how it goes.

babblemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:39 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver3000 View Post
Tell me... Who exactly would you place him ahead of? Go through the list, one by one and get back to me. The guy is 32 and at the most a 7th D-man on a team with a weak back-end. Even that is a stretch.

Additionally, how is he violating any "spirit"? Someone who is worse than the 7 guys ahead of him plays in the minors. That's not breaking spirit, that's putting a guy in a place where he belongs.
Sheldon Souray is 35 are you surprised at the season he is having in NHL this year (at 1.7M vs 5.4M caphit?

Most other teams, would have kept him in the NHL, instead of trading for better dman and burying his salary in the minors. Now that Burke has traded for Liles and Franson and Aulie - it is hard to make the case to bring up Finger. And that is not what I am saying. I said he brought in younger equivalent talent at a lower cap hit and buried him in the AHL.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post

Steckel-->Del Zotto
Kurt Sauer's younger brother Mike.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:18 PM
kihei

vCash: 4667
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzLeaf View Post
I wonder if the irony is not lost on some players that hold out for more cash. Careful what you wish for. You just might get it.
Sets up an interesting question. Would you take 14 million bucks and not end up playing in the NHL, or, say, would you take 4 million bucks and be a 5/6 defenceman in the NHL? I think I will take the extra 10 million, thanks.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Jeff Finger is playing where he belongs.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:38 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

I have some sympathy for him, but hey he's not what he's worth at 3.5 per, Finger came here for 1 thing the money I assume because a guy like him who back then was unproven got a chance at 3.5 per obviously he would of taken that. Burke doesn't like his contract let's face it, If Burke didn't give Komisarek a no trade clause or a no movement clause, I think there would of been a chance Komi would of gotten sent to the minors.

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

I'm pretty sure the CBA states there is no circumvention by putting someone in the minors.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:36 PM
contour

He may be paid $3.5m, but it's not his fault, rather Fletcher's. If someone offered you $3.5m to play for a team and you were mediocre in the first place, anyone would jump on that. Besides, he came into Toronto expecting to be a top-4 Dman.

Finger is a bottom pairing NHL defenceman, and he can play NHL minutes.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:11 AM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
He may be paid $3.5m, but it's not his fault, rather Fletcher's. If someone offered you $3.5m to play for a team and you were mediocre in the first place, anyone would jump on that. Besides, he came into Toronto expecting to be a top-4 Dman.

Finger is a bottom pairing NHL defenceman, and he can play NHL minutes.
Yea, and then management changed and he wasn't in thier plans, that's business.

This type of stuff happens to people all the time.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:18 AM
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
Yea, and then management changed and he wasn't in thier plans, that's business.

This type of stuff happens to people all the time.
Obviously, it was destined he wouldn't be on the Leafs after a couple horrid years. He didn't play extremely well before coming to Toronto, but if i got a pay raise to $3.5m, i'd cash in too. i'm trying to say, is that on another team, he'd be capable of being a bottom pairing defencemen for a huge discount in salary.

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:45 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

He didnt play up to his contract. Nothing to feel sorry about.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote