HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 33: Canucks def. Wild - 4-0 (Henrik, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen)

Old
12-20-2011, 01:29 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Very impressed with Sulzer and Alberts pairing (granted it was due to low expectations).

Alberts starting to look like NHLberts again. His biggest problem seems to be stepping into the lineup after not playing for a while (which isn't so hot when you're a depth defenceman). Nice still work, good physicality, can often get rid of the puck without icing it/giving it away.

Sulzer, except for that one miscue in the 3rd where he passed it through the crease to some fan on the corner boards he was pretty much invisible which is exactly what I would want. Reminds me of Rome a couple years ago except Sulzer doesn't have the physicality nor the ability to make great stretch passes (or the offensive ability? lol). A great depth guy for games we need a warm body that wont cost us.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:30 PM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
I meant I want Luongo to not get injured... sorry at work. He looks awesome, but one little tweak could throw him off.

As someone mentioned, I want this canucks team with Booth in full flight, plus another solid D man come April 15th.
Alberts not good enough for you?

Seriously. Even when I'm watching the game as a replay and I know the score (which is almost always), Alberts makes me cringe nearly every time he's on the ice these days. I have no idea how you guys cope. Some great hits last night, though.

EDIT: I guess Yogi and I will be disagreeing on this one. I used to staunchly defend him during his first couple of years here, but I can't help but wonder if he's ever going to stop looking like he only has a vague idea of where the puck is.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Alberts not good enough for you?

Seriously. Even when I'm watching the game as a replay and I know the score (which is almost always), Alberts makes me cringe nearly every time he's on the ice these days. I have no idea how you guys cope. Some great hits last night, though.

EDIT: I guess Yogi and I will be disagreeing on this one. I used to staunchly defend him during his first couple of years here, but I can't help but wonder if he's ever going to stop looking like he only has a vague idea of where the puck is.
I don't think it's necessarily Alberts fault. I have been critical of the guy because he definitely has his limitations, but I think it's the way the coaching staff asks our defenseman to play. I don't know how many times last night I swore at the television because instead of trying to make the simple play, Alberts decided to try to make a move around the net in order to either skate the puck up ice or make some fancy outlet pass. I would say, in the world of Andrew Alberts, two things he should not ever be doing are: 1. carrying the puck 2. making cute moves around or behind his net.

I don't think this is really part of Alberts' game, I do think all the defensemen on the Canucks are asked to play that style though. I think Alberts would look a lot better in a more conservative system where he's just asked to be physical and make the safe plays.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I don't think it's necessarily Alberts fault. I have been critical of the guy because he definitely has his limitations, but I think it's the way the coaching staff asks our defenseman to play. I don't know how many times last night I swore at the television because instead of trying to make the simple play, Alberts decided to try to make a move around the net in order to either skate the puck up ice or make some fancy outlet pass. I would say, in the world of Andrew Alberts, two things he should not ever be doing are: 1. carrying the puck 2. making cute moves around or behind his net.

I don't think this is really part of Alberts' game, I do think all the defensemen on the Canucks are asked to play that style though. I think Alberts would look a lot better in a more conservative system where he's just asked to be physical and make the safe plays.
Possibly, but Rome never has a problem with flinging it up the boards to no one in particular. He doesn't really mess around too much back there. I think it might just be Alberts trying to be too cute at times.

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:02 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Possibly, but Rome never has a problem with flinging it up the boards to no one in particular. He doesn't really mess around too much back there. I think it might just be Alberts trying to be too cute at times.
Perhaps it's Alberts trying to prove his can be flashy cute on the backend so they never play him as a forward again. I hope so.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian452 View Post
Lou gets no love or respect outside of Vancouver when he's the best player on the ice. NHL.com doesn't even have him as one of the stars of the night. It seems like any goalie from an eastern time zone team who gets a shut-out is guaranteed a star of the night. He kept the game scoreless until the Canucks skaters woke up in time for the second period and the save he made on the Minnesota PP was huge.
Yeah but Luongo was doing this against a Wild team that is a bottom feeder... OH WAIT.

Besides Henrik was Number 1 and Daniel Number 2 last night (and that was well-deserved as all three goals they were involved in were highlight reel quality) .

There would have been a league wide meltdown if the Canucks had swept all three stars NHL Compuware Three Stars.

It has been reported that Dave Bolland wants a recount of votes claiming that the results were fixed as it is not possible that the Sedins earned this by their play.

Luongo gets respect from people who know hockey - that is why he is a perennial Vezina Trophy candidate in the voting by NHL GMs and was picked as the Team Canada goalie in the 2010 Olympics.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote