HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Rundblad talk

Old
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
thephillyflu

vCash: 500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3igE_H2ZZFU

I don't know what happened with the first one, but here it is, from the playoffs 2010/2011 in the SEL.

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
You wait just one damn minute. One poster inadvertently left off one "d" in one post in this entire thread and you feel the need to come in here and post this? Everybody else got it right and nobody needs your little lessons.
Omitting the first "d" from Rundblad's name is shorthand for saying you think his d-game is lacking.

His offensive game will be astonishing once he adjusts to the speed and smaller ice. He's not being cut much slack while he tries to simplify his game.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:29 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
Omitting the first "d" from Rundblad's name is shorthand for saying you think his d-game is lacking.

His offensive game will be astonishing once he adjusts to the speed and smaller ice. He's not being cut much slack while he tries to simplify his game.
So that's why it should be pronounced Roooooondblad?

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:38 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Looked just great . One huge blunder but a bunch of brilliant flashes. Just like OEL and Yandle most games.

12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
thephillyflu

It shouldn't be to hard to pronounce Rundblad. The U is pronounced a bit different in Sweden. Think of it like how an irish or scotsman pronounces run, done, mum. They say like "let's roun, I'm dunn, thanks mum". It's not like how americans pronounce the "ou" sound in "******", but close. Like that but faster.

But if you ever heard scots- or irishmen talk, you know how they pronounce run and done like rounn and dunn.

Like Rundblad. In sweden, the "Rund" is pronounced exactly like the "Lund" in "Lundqvist", but you never hear a commentator pronounce his name right either. They pronounce the "Lund" like they would in the american surname "Lundy". But you are worthless in pronouncing other countries names in America, compared to other countries. Like how the french commentators for Montreal almost nails the Swedish names, only thing is that they have another kind of "melody" in their talking, so you hear it's not a Swede saying the names but it's damn close and pronounciation is almost always right.
Even other English speakers like the commentators for English football, where there are a lot of foreign players in their league, they are much, much worse than the french commentators but yet clearly better than the Americans. Because they try, but they fail. American commentators doesn't even try (Koval Chuck. Who's that? And why does he have an English nick name? You could at least try when it's the "U" sound that every other country in the west but your own use...)

Edit: With the last part, what I meant was, that the "u" in Rundblad, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk... Every other language in the west but most English speaking countries pronounce "u" like that (even Ireland and Scotland). How you English speakers pronounce the "u" (like in for instance "Chuck"), that's how every other language pronounce "a". "Tjack" is a swedish word that phonetically is identical to chuck. Copa is a spanish word where the "a" is pronounced like your "u". And that's not just those words, it ("a") 's always pronounced like that. What's funny is that your "A" is sometimes phonetically identical to your "u", like in "America". Copa America and America (***** yeah) are pronounced pretty much the same.

Last edited by thephillyflu: 12-21-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old
12-21-2011, 10:16 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nobody is struggling with it. Nobody.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:20 PM
SweYote

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephillyflu View Post
It shouldn't be to hard to pronounce Rundblad. The U is pronounced a bit different in Sweden. Think of it like how an irish or scotsman pronounces run, done, mum. They say like "let's roun, I'm dunn, thanks mum". It's not like how americans pronounce the "ou" sound in "******", but close. Like that but faster.

But if you ever heard scots- or irishmen talk, you know how they pronounce run and done like rounn and dunn.

Like Rundblad. In sweden, the "Rund" is pronounced exactly like the "Lund" in "Lundqvist", but you never hear a commentator pronounce his name right either. They pronounce the "Lund" like they would in the american surname "Lundy". But you are worthless in pronouncing other countries names in America, compared to other countries. Like how the french commentators for Montreal almost nails the Swedish names, only thing is that they have another kind of "melody" in their talking, so you hear it's not a Swede saying the names but it's damn close and pronounciation is almost always right.
Even other English speakers like the commentators for English football, where there are a lot of foreign players in their league, they are much, much worse than the french commentators but yet clearly better than the Americans. Because they try, but they fail. American commentators doesn't even try (Koval Chuck. Who's that? And why does he have an English nick name? You could at least try when it's the "U" sound that every other country in the west but your own use...)

Edit: With the last part, what I meant was, that the "u" in Rundblad, Lundqvist, Kovalchuk... Every other language in the west but most English speaking countries pronounce "u" like that (even Ireland and Scotland). How you English speakers pronounce the "u" (like in for instance "Chuck"), that's how every other language pronounce "a". "Tjack" is a swedish word that phonetically is identical to chuck. Copa is a spanish word where the "a" is pronounced like your "u". And that's not just those words, it ("a") 's always pronounced like that. What's funny is that your "A" is sometimes phonetically identical to your "u", like in "America". Copa America and America (***** yeah) are pronounced pretty much the same.
I was just making a very lame joke...

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:31 PM
thephillyflu

However, on a serious note, do you think Rundblad was "bought" as a bargaining chip. Meaning, do you think he was acquired just to get traded?

Doesn't Phoenix have a lot of young defensemen coming up? I mean Yandle and OEL will be above/ahead of Rundblad in the depth chart, but is he the third guy of their young defenders? A couple of years, and Morris, Aucoin, Rozsival and Klesla will be gone. This might be next year. Will Rundblad be in the first or second pairing and play on the first PP unit. Did he play on the first PP unit tonight? Who did play alongside Yandle?

Because I can't see how any of Phoenix current defenders could be better than Rundblad on the PP, so even if he's a borderline AHL/NHL case for the moment, I don't think it costs the team anything to give him development ice time on the first PP unit, because it'll be better with Rundblad even if he's not a great player overall (yet).

Old
12-21-2011, 10:37 PM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
However, on a serious note, do you think Rundblad was "bought" as a bargaining chip. Meaning, do you think he was acquired just to get traded?

Doesn't Phoenix have a lot of young defensemen coming up? I mean Yandle and OEL will be above/ahead of Rundblad in the depth chart, but is he the third guy of their young defenders? A couple of years, and Morris, Aucoin, Rozsival and Klesla will be gone. This might be next year. Will Rundblad be in the first or second pairing and play on the first PP unit. Did he play on the first PP unit tonight? Who did play alongside Yandle?

Because I can't see how any of Phoenix current defenders could be better than Rundblad on the PP, so even if he's a borderline AHL/NHL case for the moment, I don't think it costs the team anything to give him development ice time on the first PP unit, because it'll be better with Rundblad even if he's not a great player overall (yet).
My first thought when the trade went down was we were going to flip Rundblad; however, when Maloney did his press conference he was pretty detailed about the fit of Rundblad as a right shooting defensemen down the road with Gormely, Yandle, and OEL. Based on that I no longer believe they will move him anytime soon.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

Yandle, OEL, Gormley, Schlemko, Summers and Murphy all shoot left. Rundblad shoots right. Morris, Aucoin, and Rozsival are our right handed shots. They're all old and not long for this club. Rundblad is here for the long haul. He has finally found the place where the future of his NHL career will truly be defined.

Old
12-21-2011, 11:18 PM
ctwin22
Go Desert Dogs

Murphy is a right-handed shot same as Rundblad

Other notable right-handed youngsters:
Goncharov/Stone

Every other young stud dman is left-handed:
Yandle/OEL/Gormley/Summers/Schlemko

ctwin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:52 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Well I now understand the Zubov comparison.

Some work to do defensively but I now understand why the Sens fans were so outraged. Kid has offensive instincts you can't teach. This isn't a shot against Turris but I believe that DR may have better puck skills (puckhandling not shooting) than Turris which surprised me. DR alone may have a higher upside than Turris so I get why Sens thought that the additional 2nd was overkill.

I would have to think that the DR and OEL pairing would be the youngest in the NHL.

Last edited by hbk: 12-22-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old
12-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Nordic*

What grade would you give him between A-E? (+Fail)

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:48 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post

Some work to do defensively but I now understand why the Sens fans were so outraged. Kid has offensive instincts you can't teach. He alone may have a higher upside than Turris so I understand now why Sens thought that the additional 2nd was overkill.

I would have to think that the DR and OEL pairing would be the youngest in the NHL.
Typical David Rundblad game. Shows you a glimpse of high end offensive skill, makes one or maybe two good defensive plays, then makes you cringe with some pretty damn terrible defensive play and turnovers. Then again, after watching that game, its not as if he was Derek Morris. Fortunately he is still young, and most of the mistakes are correctable.

In all seriousness most Sens fans were outraged because David Rundblad was a fan favorite, and at the beginning of the year vast majority of the fans wouldnt have traded him for a top five pick. Well, it turns out they did.

I like Rundblad, but with Karlsson and Gonchar on the right side, something just had to give. What is defense? Hello Carkner and Brian Lee!

Yep, even though I am overall happy with the trade, I'm a bit upset with the 2nd and will continue to be.

Upside is up to interpretation, I think Kyle Turris has at least Jeff Carter upside. Rundblad with his offensive tools can easily be one of the most dangerous offensive d-men in the game. His moves make Erik Karlsson look weak sometimes.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:51 AM
LaGu

Quote:

Some work to do defensively but I now understand why the Sens fans were so outraged. Kid has offensive instincts you can't teach. This isn't a shot against Turris but I believe that DR may have better puck skills (puckhandling not shooting) than Turris which surprised me. DR alone may have a higher upside than Turris so I get why Sens thought that the additional 2nd was overkill.

You are rigth that his shot is nothing special but what he managed to do when playing in the SEL, which allowed him to score alot of goals on shots, was to time them just right. If you watch his goals, most of them are made in the exact right moment when one of the forwards moves infront of the keeper and many times between, or just next to, the defenders legs. I think that it will take some time to get the coordination with the team mates for this over here but one they do it may prove to be very valuable.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Hey guys,

Ottawa fan here in peace. Just wanted to say I was pretty upset when I heard about this trade. Most people know that I'm probably the biggest Rundblad fan on this site, and even though he's no longer a Senator I will continue to follow his career as he's just a great player to watch -- he will keep your fanbase on the edge of their collective seats for his tenure there.

He gets a bad rap for what is basically a breaking of his confidence. Starting the year Rundblad was pretty reliable in his own end, he made some mistakes and miscues but for the most part he was solid. The Boston Bruins game where he was something like a -4 and had a really, really rough game seemed to shake him up a bit and he wasn't the same since then. He didn't have the same confidence (he was sat for some games, etc.) and the coaching staff clearly lost confidence in him.

Really though I think he's got some of the most potential, if not the most potential, of any young defenceman in the league. If you look at his strides he took in the SEL you can expect that his learning curve will be fine and he just needs some time to adjust to the NHL game.

He's got excellent hands, great passing, great vision, incredible poise, and good skating. He's actually pretty physical and he doesn't mind blocking shots either. He's a very cerebral player and for that reason I think he will become reliable defensively aswell. I really don't think there are many defencemen with his kind of dynamic ability in the offensive zone.

You guys really have a gem on your hands, and in the future OEL - Rundblad could be talked about as one of the best defensive pairings in the league. Hope he does well for you.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

It bothers me when sens fans say that Rundblad has a typical way of operating. He was twenty years old when this season started and he has a grand total of 25 games played on this continent. There is no SOP, here. NOTHING is written in stone.

Old
12-22-2011, 09:50 AM
PhoPhan

On the whole, his presence last night was a net positive. I'm happy with having him around already, and if he can tighten up his shortcomings without curbing his offensive instincts, he'll be a top pairing blue liner.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
Typical David Rundblad game. Shows you a glimpse of high end offensive skill, makes one or maybe two good defensive plays, then makes you cringe with some pretty damn terrible defensive play and turnovers. Then again, after watching that game, its not as if he was Derek Morris. Fortunately he is still young, and most of the mistakes are correctable.

In all seriousness most Sens fans were outraged because David Rundblad was a fan favorite, and at the beginning of the year vast majority of the fans wouldnt have traded him for a top five pick. Well, it turns out they did.

I like Rundblad, but with Karlsson and Gonchar on the right side, something just had to give. What is defense? Hello Carkner and Brian Lee!

Yep, even though I am overall happy with the trade, I'm a bit upset with the 2nd and will continue to be.

Upside is up to interpretation, I think Kyle Turris has at least Jeff Carter upside. Rundblad with his offensive tools can easily be one of the most dangerous offensive d-men in the game. His moves make Erik Karlsson look weak sometimes.
I think you may be disappointed if you expect Kyle Turris to be as good as Jeff Carter.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:08 AM
hbk
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It bothers me when sens fans say that Rundblad has a typical way of operating. He was twenty years old when this season started and he has a grand total of 25 games played on this continent. There is no SOP, here. NOTHING is written in stone.
I wonder if the spinorama move was typical.

Old
12-22-2011, 11:14 AM
kihekah19

Quote:

Yeah, good luck with turris too. I just hope his teamates don't take it the wrong way when he starts bleating "gotta watch Oprah"... like Rainman!

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:07 PM
zerekstar

From those video clips, he scores in many different ways and from many different places on the ice. That shows tremendous creativity. He's not just a one trick pony. So now I expect him to be a star! Good trade.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Quote:
Upside is up to interpretation, I think Kyle Turris has at least Jeff Carter upside.

"irrational exhuberance" - Alan Greenspan.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:39 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
I think you may be disappointed if you expect Kyle Turris to be as good as Jeff Carter.
I didn't expect anything. What I am trying to say is that I'm not sold that Turris max potential is a 50-55 pt center with his raw skill. Hell, I'm not convinced David Rundblad ceiling is that low either.

Quote:
I wonder if the spinorama move was typical.
Highlight reel offensive flashes are typical. Maybe its a poor choice of wording, but he plays a certain style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Yeah, good luck with turris too. I just hope his teamates don't take it the wrong way when he starts bleating "gotta watch Oprah"... like Rainman!
I'll take that over Justin Bieber anyday.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

BTW, Rundbad has a standard ELC. The guy before who said he has some type of out-clause if sent to the AHL is certainly confused.

With that said this is my favorite highlight of him:

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote