HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

David Rundblad talk

Old
01-31-2012, 02:31 AM
DesertDawg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Hey now, you're talking about our first line center next year.
I guess that means Rundblad will be on the 1st pairing next season too...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:03 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
As a Coyote fan, I could care less about Runblad's highlight reel goals in the AHL. They are about as relevant as the plethora of Enver Lisin highlight goals from the KHL which never translated to the NHL.

Right now he's the defenseman version of Andy Miele.

I'd be much more exited to hear Rundblad is a +2 every game and that he didn't score. That's something I'd pay attention to. Kinda like if Miele won 75% of his faceoffs. A 5 point night in the AHL for Miele is worthless to me as a Coyote fan.
I don't see anyone who's actually said that given that he's scored 3 beautiful goals, he's good to go. All I've seen here (basically) is that people have hopes for him but that they also realize that he needs to improve on his D. I didn't see anyone complain that he was sent down and I don't see anyone calling for him to be called up now, despite his 3 goals.

Speaking for myself, I am a huge Rundblad fan, and have been for years. My hopes for him are very high, but they are hopes. Of course I realize that he has a lot of work to do to get to the point of being a lock on any roster in the AHL.

That said, I'm thrilled every time, and against whichever opposition, he scores. Why shouldn't you be at least happy for it as well? I actually agree with you on the issue of "what to be more happy for". I'd also be more happy if he'd be +2 in every game (although that seems a bit unrealistic for any player), but he's not. In the mean time I'll be happy for the goals he scores (especially since his goals are almost always beauties).

Goals and points aside, he totaled -3 in his first 3 games and then +1 in his last 3 and even though that a very small sample size I take it as a good sign.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:54 AM
RafaNadal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Goals and points aside, he totaled -3 in his first 3 games and then +1 in his last 3 and even though that a very small sample size I take it as a good sign.
and two of those minuses have been empty net goals when portland is pushing to tie the game.

RafaNadal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:38 PM
SweYote

This Swedish newspaper visited Rundblad in Portland and had a chat with him. I translated it with Google translate and tried to correct some of it's mistakes. There is some pictures in the article as well.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle14317005.ab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftonbladet.se
PORTLAND. The NHL dream has become a life on the road for defenseman prospect David Rundblad. During his first six months in North America, he has lived in a hotel, been traded from Ottawa to Phoenix and finally ended up in the AHL team Portland Pirates. - I could have gone back to Skellefteå. But I never considered it, he says.

Last season David Rundblad was one of the Swedish Elite League's biggest stars. He was third in points with 50 points (11 +39) in 55 games. A huge accomplishment for a defenseman.
The success continued during the playoffs going to the national champinoships against Färjestad before he got to make his World Cup debut with Team Sweden in Slovakia.

Now he sits in a hotel room in a very cold Portland with suitcases and clothes scattered all over the room. Outside the window, there's a frozen pool and darkness descends upon the city where Pelle Lindbergh once started his NHL career.
The first-class flights in the NHL are now swapped with bus rides to the away games.
- And it's really shabby buses we're traveling with. No like those luxury coaches exactly. You sit like a cheese doodle in those seats. But that works as well.

It both sounds and looks like a model of broken NHL dreams.
- But I am actually happy with this life. However strange it may sound. I work out, eat, sleep and relax in my room and I think it's pretty sweet after all. And here in Portland I get to play and get lots of ice time. That's exactly what I need, he says.
It is the fourth hotel room he lives in since his NHL debut for the Ottawa Senators early last fall.

- I stayed at the hotel during the first months in Ottawa before I moved into a rented house in a month. Then I was told that I had been traded to Phoenix. It was a shock in that moment. I had managed to stay in the new house for two weeks because we were on a road trip the other two. I had been touring like crazy to buy new furniture and finally got time to get everything in place. Just to find out it was time to move again.
- Fortunately I live alone. If I had a girlfriend that never would have worked out.
Yet he sits and smiles at the misery. And he doesn’t even look at it as an adversity.
- No, I was prepared for the first year to be the worst. I have a current contract with Skellefteå and had a clause written into my NHL contract that I could go back to them if I got sent to the AHL. Phoenix also told me that they could not stand in my way and it was my choice. But I never considered it. I will not let go of this opportunity and if I would have moved home, it would be more difficult for me to come back.
There is no sadness in Rundblad. As anyone who knows him is aware of.
But the news that he was traded from Ottawa came as a shock.

- Yes, it was really tough right afterwards. I didn’t see it coming. When I was summoned by general manager Bryan Murray and the coach, I thought they would send me down. I never imagined that I would be traded. It was tough. I got the news Saturday morning and then all the responsible people in Phoenix called and I got a plane ticket booked for Sunday morning. It was just to throw everything together and get moving again.

A first-class ticket?
- No, no, no. Not for a rookie. I sat in the back of the plane.
Otherwise, he should be accustomed. Rundblad was drafted as a first round pick by the St. Louis Blues in 2009, but the ink had not even dried on his first NHL contract before he was traded to the Ottawa Senators.
- No, it did not go more than a week. But then it felt pretty good to end up in Ottawa. They said they believed in me and I knew Erik Karlsson from before and Daniel Alfredsson was there. He took very good care of me.

But now David Rundblad learned what it means to be a commodity in the NHL.
As a 21-year-old, he can already put three NHL clubs on his business card.
As an offensive and right-handed defenseman, he was to some extent a victim of Erik Karlsson's huge success in Ottawa this season and Rundblad’s special talent demands more power play time and a place as a top four defenseman.
Economically, he has done well, even if the salary in the minor league is only a tenth of that in the NHL for the rookies with the mandatory two-way contract.

But Rundblad has already managed to get more than half of the 900 000 dollars - just over six million - he has under his NHL contract.
- Yes, there are hoards of money. I'll be just fine. I have no expenses, not even a car because I haven’t dared to get one because I don’t know where I will end up.
The rest of the season will be the same kind of adventure.
- Yes, when Phoenix sent me here they said I would play at least ten games here in Portland. I have played six and I think I did well. But you never know in this business. They don’t say much to us players. All you can do is work hard and try to improve what you are not very good at.

But has he cracked?
No, not Rundblad.
He is as cool as a cold, raw night in Maine.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 04:44 PM
MP

Sounds like he's made his peace with the fact that he needs to work on his game a bit more. Good sign. I wouldn't be surprised to see him again this year, especially if there is yet another injury on the blueline.

MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

Seems like the kid has a good head on his shoulders. I like his attitude a lot better than the person he traded places with.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

It would seem this kid gets the big picture!

Quote:
I have a current contract with Skellefteå and had a clause written into my NHL contract that I could go back to them if I got sent to the AHL. Phoenix also told me that they could not stand in my way and it was my choice. But I never considered it. I will not let go of this opportunity and if I would have moved home, it would be more difficult for me to come back.
I don't know about his chances this year but if he works hard and learns in Portland, I think he'll stick with the big club next season!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
EssendonBombers
classless

Has this been posted anywhere yet?

EssendonBombers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Kaizen

On his way back to Phoenix according to AHL transactions.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions...&f_team_id=310

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2012, 08:24 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
On his way back to Phoenix according to AHL transactions.

http://theahl.com/stats/transactions...&f_team_id=310

I am looking forward to seeing him play live one day.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Kaizen

Are there some bumps and bruises on the blueline that forced the Rundblad recall or more a precautionary thing?

Old
03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
hbk

Quote:
Are there some bumps and bruises on the blueline that forced the Rundblad recall or more a precautionary thing?
I believe Summers only played in the neighborhood of 7 mins last game. Speculation is he was injured.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Kaizen

His minutes were down around 4 and change after 2 periods but he did play in the third.

Certainly could be the type of injury that makes it a game time decision.

Edit: And a 3 in 4 nights coming up so spreading the minutes around might would certainly make some sense.

Last edited by Kaizen: 03-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old
03-03-2012, 01:27 PM
awfulwaffle

Rundblad with a "good chance" to play tonight per Tippett.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Good for him. I hope to see him play. That's got to be tough, being moved around at a moment's notice. I'm sure it's an exciting thing to get the call that you're getting called up to the NHL, but then to get there, warm up...and then get sent down the very next day or week must be disappointing.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by frackiewicz View Post
Good for him. I hope to see him play. That's got to be tough, being moved around at a moment's notice. I'm sure it's an exciting thing to get the call that you're getting called up to the NHL, but then to get there, warm up...and then get sent down the very next day or week must be disappointing.
They get a sizable payday for being on an NHL roster for a game. If they want a bench warmer they should just call up Goncharov and let Rundblad play in the AHL. I want to see what this kid can do, given the proper chance. Pair him with Aucoin and give him the green light.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 02:54 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I want to see what this kid can do, given the proper chance. Pair him with Aucoin and give him the green light.

No doubt, I'm hopeful we'll see him soon.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

He's a right hander, so he probably won't be paired with Aucoin. It will probably be Summers.

Naych_PHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:16 PM
hbk

If I'm Tippett I pair OEL with Rundblad and Aucoin with Stone.

Leave Yandle + Roszival together.

Summers is injured I believe.

Old
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They get a sizable payday for being on an NHL roster for a game.
No doubt...I'm sure that part of it is pretty nice! At some point, it has to be frustrating, wanting that chance and repeatedly almost getting it, then having it fall through.

Kind of like the Coyotes getting an owner, I suppose.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
If I'm Tippett I pair OEL with Rundblad and Aucoin with Stone.

Leave Yandle + Roszival together.

Summers is injured I believe.
From Tip's audio clip it sounded like they might give Stone a night off and insert Rundblad.

Old
03-03-2012, 04:14 PM
hbk

Quote:
From Tip's audio clip it sounded like they might give Stone a night off and insert Rundblad.
Interesting. I would still pair OEL with Rundblad. I honestly can't wait to see Rundblad on the PP.

Old
03-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Interesting. I would still pair OEL with Rundblad. I honestly can't wait to see Rundblad on the PP.
I agree. They are friends and have played together in the past. The knock on Rundblad is lapses on defense. OEL is solid defensively and could cover for him.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:31 AM
Rediscoveryx

How did he perform (apart from the assist)?

Rediscoveryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediscoveryx View Post
How did he perform (apart from the assist)?
Jumped in a lot and looked excellent on the powerplay.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote