HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov

Old
01-22-2012, 03:13 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

vCash: 500
Nabokov

Assuming the Islanders are still dangling Nabokov as trade bait at the deadline, how much has his value gone up since this offseason?

He's been a workhorse in net for the Isles lately, getting 11 out of the last 12 starts and putting up 8 wins in that time. Numbers are 2.35 GAA and .919 SV% on the entire season.

What's he worth now and who are the likely suitors? Detroit may still be interested. Columbus? Tampa? Maybe Chicago. NYI could hang on to him but it's almost a guarantee he'd walk for nothing as a UFA.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Good question. Right now I'd keep Nabby. The market for goalies is underwhelming and Isles aren't out of it yet with the strong play of Nabokov and JT.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

If Nabby where to be available I can see him garnering lots of interest around the league but I can see the Islanders holding onto him as well.

01-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

don't want him in Chicago... rather have Montoya for next year

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:44 PM
toquerasta

If I'm the Isles I hold onto him until the deadline, the Isles could very well be in striking distance for a playoff spot at that point. If they aren't, I could see him getting a decent pick or prospect, maybe both.

toquerasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:50 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by toquerasta View Post
If I'm the Isles I hold onto him until the deadline, the Isles could very well be in striking distance for a playoff spot at that point. If they aren't, I could see him getting a decent pick or prospect, maybe both.
Exactly. Islanders are sort of trailing now but playoffs are still somewhat within reach. Trade deadline is just over a month away, things will likely be more clear by then.

Just trying to get a feel of what he's value is at under such circumstances that he would be traded. I was reluctant to even give up a 4th this offseason from a Detroit standpoint, but with the play of both Nabokov and Conklin considered I would do either a 2nd or 3rd+decent prospect. Too much? Too little?

What other teams would be in the Nabby Races?

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:52 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Tough to say, he's been playing great lately. I'd like to see how Montoya does when he's healthy, then re-evaluate the Nabokov situation.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1118
8 pts out of a playoff spot.If the isles are still within sniffing distance at the trade deadline,I'd hope Nabokov stays.

I still think Nabokov and Snow have a handshake agreement,with Snow promising to move Nabokov to a playoff team.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
8 pts out of a playoff spot.If the isles are still within sniffing distance at the trade deadline,I'd hope Nabokov stays.

I still think Nabokov and Snow have a handshake agreement,with Snow promising to move Nabokov to a playoff team.
I agree, I think if we're out Nabokov is gone by the deadline. But at this rate we could get good value for him. I can't believe I'm happy he's here.

Old
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
thepittman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I agree, I think if we're out Nabokov is gone by the deadline. But at this rate we could get good value for him. I can't believe I'm happy he's here.
Why wouldn't you be happy to have a goal tender who isn't a piece of glass?

thepittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Korolyuk15

barring injuries the only teams I could imagine being interested in him are Winnipeg (if they make it and just as a backup) and maybe Ottawa because while Anderson is stealing games I still don't believe he is a bona-fide #1 ...but I can't think the Islanders would get more than a 2nd or 3rd pick

Korolyuk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:10 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepittman View Post
Why wouldn't you be happy to have a goal tender who isn't a piece of glass?
Well I'm a fan of Montoya, and I expected him to be healthy this year and play well. He did play well when healthy, and got run over by E. Kane and got a concussion. I didn't like Nabokov's attitude from last year and I thought he was going to be subpar to start the year. He ended up being our best goalie this year.

Old
01-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Korolyuk15

Nabokov is good, consistent and a workhorse...but he isn't great...am still sad the sharks ever let kiprusoff get away...

Old
01-22-2012, 04:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

If anyone wants him they better get him ASAP because his Value is going up with each and every game...Hes been very very good....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Korolyuk15

his value will never go that high though because he isn't exactly known for being a playoff goalie (2003-2004 the exception)

Old
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Babych 44

I could see him going to the west again, the Blackhawks would be a good fit, it would push Crawford to actually playing a blue solar lunch bucket style of goaltending. Ship Ray Emery to the Flames and call it a day.

Babych 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:05 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

I'd like to see where the Islanders are in the standings at the deadline before gauging his value

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:51 PM
kasper11

His value right now is not enough for the Isles to move him. If a contender suffers an injury to its starting goalie, that could change. For now though, all of the contenders seem to be set in goal.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

This is an interesting scenario.

A lot of us Islander fans believe there was a handshake deal to send nabby to a contender at the deadline. That may or may not be true, and he could even want to stay if we're seriously in the hunt come the deadline.

Now if we pretend for a moment that there was no handshake deal, I don't trade him for anything less than a 1st or a nice prospect (which we probably won't get). I'd be content with us keeping him taking a stab at the playoffs rather then getting a 2nd or a mid tier prospect.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:40 PM
TheIslesFan

vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
This is an interesting scenario.

A lot of us Islander fans believe there was a handshake deal to send nabby to a contender at the deadline. That may or may not be true, and he could even want to stay if we're seriously in the hunt come the deadline.

Now if we pretend for a moment that there was no handshake deal, I don't trade him for anything less than a 1st or a nice prospect (which we probably won't get). I'd be content with us keeping him taking a stab at the playoffs rather then getting a 2nd or a mid tier prospect.
Exactly, I don't want another softy like Wishart

TheIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:51 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
The interesting thing is that the market for goalies is always pretty putrid until the trade deadline comes about...at least for back-ups/fringe starters.

There's a good chance that it may be worth more to the Islanders to just keep him than trade him. I'm not really sure how many teams out there are actively looking for a back-up goalie, and I don't think any playoff teams would see him as a starter. Considering the Isles are a hot streak away from being in the playoffs right now and he's giving them the best chance to win...is it really worth it if the only things dangled are a 3rd and/or a mid-level prospect? That changes if someone gets hurt and a panic offer comes about.

On my own I'd set his value as a late 2nd round pick...and it's hard to imagine too many teams biting at that, but if a starting goalie gets hurt then a 2nd for Nabokov is very reasonable.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote