HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clb-edm

Old
01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
caley

vCash: 500
Clb-edm

Aaron Portzline is reporting that Columbus will be looking to cut ties with Steve Mason, either via trade which involves Columbus taking on salary or possibly waivers, but the main thing is to show Mason the door.

My proposal is that Edmonton takes him before the deadline. Something like Dubnyk to Columbus for Mason and a conditional pick. Though Mason is likely the better goalie, his play hasn't beared that out, and he's on hook for $2.9 million next year. Dubnyk looked like the Oilers goalie of the future last year, but he's struggled mightily this season. His contract is more palatable, though, with one more year at $800,000.

Why Columbus does it? They dump Mason's salary, opening up $2.1 million in cap space, in order to pursue a real #1 goalie, because you have to believe Columbus would have to, at the very least, make the playoffs in 2012-13 to give Howson and Priest another stay of execution.

Why does Edmonton do it? They get a young goalie whom, at one point, was a Vezina candidate and with the team out of it, they can afford to let Mason play out the season and see if he has the ability to play himself back into position. If Mason doesn't play the bulk of the Oilers games in 2012-13, then Columbus sends Edmonton a 3rd round pick for the Oilers paying his higher salary.

I don't do these often, but this one came to me this morning while reading the column about Columbus.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
MessierII

No thanks. Unless that pick is a nice one.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:27 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Dubbie > Mason
Roy > Mason
Bunz > Mason

lakai17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
36kap36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Dubbie > Mason
Roy > Mason
Bunz > Mason
Cardboard cutout that is Nathan Gerbe sized>Mason

36kap36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Koto

nope

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
Doug19

If the pick is a 6th at best, sure, but if not, then no thanks.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 02:37 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Aaron Portzline is reporting that Columbus will be looking to cut ties with Steve Mason, either via trade which involves Columbus taking on salary or possibly waivers, but the main thing is to show Mason the door.

My proposal is that Edmonton takes him before the deadline. Something like Dubnyk to Columbus for Mason and a conditional pick. Though Mason is likely the better goalie, his play hasn't beared that out, and he's on hook for $2.9 million next year. Dubnyk looked like the Oilers goalie of the future last year, but he's struggled mightily this season. His contract is more palatable, though, with one more year at $800,000.

Why Columbus does it? They dump Mason's salary, opening up $2.1 million in cap space, in order to pursue a real #1 goalie, because you have to believe Columbus would have to, at the very least, make the playoffs in 2012-13 to give Howson and Priest another stay of execution.

Why does Edmonton do it? They get a young goalie whom, at one point, was a Vezina candidate and with the team out of it, they can afford to let Mason play out the season and see if he has the ability to play himself back into position. If Mason doesn't play the bulk of the Oilers games in 2012-13, then Columbus sends Edmonton a 3rd round pick for the Oilers paying his higher salary.

I don't do these often, but this one came to me this morning while reading the column about Columbus.
The numbers very strongly disagree with your statements.

As for the Vezina candidacy of Steve Mason, I don't even really think he was a viable candidiate that year. Yeah he had 10 shutouts in 61 games, but he had a .916 SV%, which put him somewhere around 11th in the league. He has been much more consistently bad than anything else in the league over the past three years.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

The offer seems reasonable, but I can't imagine Columbus would do it. It gets rid of Mason, but brings Columbus no closer to resolving the situation in goal and just adds another bad goalie to the mix.

I imagine Columbus either trades Mason for something of value plus a cap dump, or they just waive him and send him to the AHL. Personally, I think they should waive him and send him to Springfield to see if he can be rehabilitated.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
dnicks17

I wouldn't even care about the pick. I'd be fine with Dubnyk straight up for Mason.

They're both bad goalies. Mason at least has the upside of a starter(even if there's a small chance he ever gets back to that form).

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:22 PM
oilersfan11

Steve Mason is a AHL goalie so no thank you.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 05:55 PM
oilers84

to clb
danis
dubs

to edm
mason
methot/nikitin
2nd

oilers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

There both garbage but Masons shown what hes capable of. I'd do it in a second.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Eskimo44

Much rather keep Dubnyk, in fact i'd deal Khabibulin before him. Dubnyk hasn't been that bad this year, and he was very good last season. Just let him play and develop, and look for help in the offseason. There is no reason for Edmonton to downgrade their goaltending depth, especially if Mason is going to get waived/bought out. I really don't think Mason is a goo goalie, i didn't even think he was all that great in his rookie season.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
I doubt they want to get rid of a young goaltender but if they are looking to move him:
To Columbus
Matt Stajan
Henrik Karlsson

for

To Calgary
Steve Mason
Alenxandre Giroux

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
The numbers very strongly disagree with your statements.

As for the Vezina candidacy of Steve Mason, I don't even really think he was a viable candidiate that year. Yeah he had 10 shutouts in 61 games, but he had a .916 SV%, which put him somewhere around 11th in the league. He has been much more consistently bad than anything else in the league over the past three years.
If you're only looking at stats, sure. But Mason was dynamite that year. I mean, it's the only time the Blue Jackets ever made the playoffs, and it was almost entirely because of Mason. To disregard that season because of numbers is craziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The offer seems reasonable, but I can't imagine Columbus would do it. It gets rid of Mason, but brings Columbus no closer to resolving the situation in goal and just adds another bad goalie to the mix.
I'm not really suggesting Dubnyk as resolving the situation. Dubnyk's inclusion is mainly so that the Oilers aren't paying three goalies on 1-way deals. Columbus can give him a flyer, but, as I mentioned, the deal is basically to allow Columbus to open up another $2+ million to help them pursue a viable #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek
I imagine Columbus either trades Mason for something of value plus a cap dump, or they just waive him and send him to the AHL. Personally, I think they should waive him and send him to Springfield to see if he can be rehabilitated.
I don't think Mason will return anything of value right now. At $2.9 million, he's too expensive for any playoff team to take on. I think it's basically Mason for Salary Dump or Mason waived, as you said. I'm not even sold that anyone would take him on waivers, to be perfectly honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers84 View Post
to clb
danis
dubs

to edm
mason
methot/nikitin
2nd
That's much worse. Columbus has no need for an AHL goalie with Manny Legace playing well in Springfield. Not to mention, it's a real thumb in the eye to Edmonton's AHL affiliate to take away the best statistical goalie in the league away from their 2nd in the league team. Thirdly, Nikitin has played on Columbus' best paring along with Fedor Tyutin, so I don't think Columbus would want to move him. Lastly, why would Columbus give up Nikitin and a 2nd to get an AHL goalie and a goalie who's no better than who's currently playing there?

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Ho Borvat

If Vancouver moves Schneider in the offseason I would consider it. Hes still young and may just need a change of scenary/confidence.

Playing behind a guy like Luongo would probably help him out a lot.

*Edit though he was an RFA this year and would trade for his rights. 2.9 is steep for a backup.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 06:55 PM
Ho Borvat

If Van could get him on re-entry waivers (unlikely) or if CBJ bought him out, ad Vancouver signed him I would be fine.

As a backup I would be fine playing him 20 games a season, and using him as a backup..again just price.

Would be an excellent project player

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Why Dubnyk? Why not Khabibulin?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
zeus3007*

I really, really don't want Mason. If Columbus wants Dubnyk, we could maybe work something out over the summer if the Oil get a long term solution in net elsewhere, but I think Mason solves no problems in Edmonton, and causes money issues down the road.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No thanks from Edmonton. Dubnyk would surely be playing better if he had a half decent group of d-men in front of him. I don't think Mason would be a noticeable improvement.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote