HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The reality of it all....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
  #1
TehDoak
I Like Eich
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 20,811
vCash: 903
The reality of it all....

http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

We've been devastated by injuries, including missing our #1 d-man and #1 goalie for extended stretches, and yet, magically, we're still in the playoffs. Are we where we should be? No. But the reality is that this team has had a rotating lineup for the last 20 games. So please, for the love of all that is holy, calm the hell down. People are crying like we're 0-33-0. We've been hit with more injuries than anyone else in the league and had struggles in important places, but yet, we're still a playoff team.

The world has not ended. We don't need a complete rebuild. And we don't need to fire everyone and everyone who built this team.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
  #2
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin
 
RiotAct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Old Dominion State
Country: United States
Posts: 5,825
vCash: 50
plan the parade?

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
  #3
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

We've been devastated by injuries, including missing our #1 d-man and #1 goalie for extended stretches, and yet, magically, we're still in the playoffs. Are we where we should be? No. But the reality is that this team has had a rotating lineup for the last 20 games. So please, for the love of all that is holy, calm the hell down. People are crying like we're 0-33-0. We've been hit with more injuries than anyone else in the league and had struggles in important places, but yet, we're still a playoff team.

The world has not ended. We don't need a complete rebuild. And we don't need to fire everyone and everyone who built this team.
This isn't going to go over well...

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:36 PM
  #4
sk8haggard9
Registered User
 
sk8haggard9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
This isn't going to go over well...
It won't, but it should. He hits the nail right on the head. Some people are freaking out like we just lost WWII and the Third Reich are about to take over....

Obviously people are gonna be upset at our record, but I think many just need to take a step back and look at things objectively, rather than subjectively(slandered in emotion and disappointment)

sk8haggard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:41 PM
  #5
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,416
vCash: 500
but, but.........REBUILD!! We need to suck for the next 8 years! It's the only choice!

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:43 PM
  #6
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8haggard9 View Post
It won't, but it should. He hits the nail right on the head. Some people are freaking out like we just lost WWII and the Third Reich are about to take over....

Obviously people are gonna be upset at our record, but I think many just need to take a step back and look at things objectively, rather than subjectively(slandered in emotion and disappointment)
I know the team has injuries but the same players play the same way and have the same issues.

Us fans have seen the same song and dance for years and years. If the core players were actually playing 40-60 minute games... It'd be a different story but they're not.

Record right now is immaterial. I know its the important thing but the issue isn't going to be fixed when our few injured players come back. Players need to step up now and carry the team through injuries and they aren't doing it.

Miller has been awful, Enroth is struggling, our forwards aren't playing inspired, our defense for the most part is still up and down and everyone wants to blame injuries.

Bottom line, a 14 year veteran coach and a core of players like Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Gaustad, Roy, Stafford, Regehr, Sekera, Ehrhoff, should not be looking back a month or more for the last time theyve won 2 games in a row.


Last edited by S319R11S16: 12-18-2011 at 01:52 PM.
S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:47 PM
  #7
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,216
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
I can't be happy unless the new Owner forces other GMs into trades they wouldn't otherwise do.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:51 PM
  #8
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

We've been devastated by injuries, including missing our #1 d-man and #1 goalie for extended stretches, and yet, magically, we're still in the playoffs. Are we where we should be? No. But the reality is that this team has had a rotating lineup for the last 20 games. So please, for the love of all that is holy, calm the hell down. People are crying like we're 0-33-0. We've been hit with more injuries than anyone else in the league and had struggles in important places, but yet, we're still a playoff team.

The world has not ended. We don't need a complete rebuild. And we don't need to fire everyone and everyone who built this team.
Thank you. I had debated doing something like this, but wasn't sure if it was worth the bother.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:56 PM
  #9
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
I know the team has injuries but the same players play the same way and have the same issues.

Us fans have seen the same song and dance for years and years. If the core players were actually playing 40-60 minute games... It'd be a different story but they're not.

Record right now is immaterial. I know its the important thing but the issue isn't going to be fixed when our few injured players come back. Players need to step up now and carry the team through injuries and they aren't doing it.

Miller has been awful, Enroth is struggling, our forwards aren't playing inspired, our defense for the most part is still up and down and everyone wants to blame injuries.

Bottom line, a 14 year veteran coach and a core of players like Miller, Pominville, Vanek, Gaustad, Roy, Stafford, Regehr, Sekera, Ehrhoff, should not be looking back a month or more for the last time theyve won 2 games in a row.
Miller had a bad game last night, but otherwise has played well since the return from the injury. The team is leaving him out to dry at least a few times every game. "Pommmmenvillle" is playing well, so are Vanek and Regehr. Gaustad hasn't been great, but he's hardly been that bad either. Sekera is playing just fine. The only ones on that list you gave that could be playing a good bit better are Roy and Stafford (and maybe Erhoff).

I said at the beginning of the season that this team needed time to gel, and before that could happen the injuries set in. Let them get healthy, and see how they do before you jump off a cliff.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:00 PM
  #10
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Miller had a bad game last night, but otherwise has played well since the return from the injury. The team is leaving him out to dry at least a few times every game. "Pommmmenvillle" is playing well, so are Vanek and Regehr. Gaustad hasn't been great, but he's hardly been that bad either. Sekera is playing just fine. The only ones on that list you gave that could be playing a good bit better are Roy and Stafford (and maybe Erhoff).

I said at the beginning of the season that this team needed time to gel, and before that could happen the injuries set in. Let them get healthy, and see how they do before you jump off a cliff.
Not saying those guys are the main issue but those guys SHOULD be able to win you 2 freaking games in a row.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
  #11
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,280
vCash: 500
We're certainly shouldn't be considering blowing everything up, but some of the performances we saw last night are starting to fall into the realm of trends rather than abberations.

I dunno. I'm willing to see what happens when some bodies get back in the lineup, and see what happens.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:16 PM
  #12
SlugLife978
Registered User
 
SlugLife978's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

We've been devastated by injuries, including missing our #1 d-man and #1 goalie for extended stretches, and yet, magically, we're still in the playoffs. Are we where we should be? No. But the reality is that this team has had a rotating lineup for the last 20 games. So please, for the love of all that is holy, calm the hell down. People are crying like we're 0-33-0. We've been hit with more injuries than anyone else in the league and had struggles in important places, but yet, we're still a playoff team.

The world has not ended. We don't need a complete rebuild. And we don't need to fire everyone and everyone who built this team.


Hooray for sanity!

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:40 PM
  #13
BuffaloSabskis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post
http://espn.go.com/nhl/standings/_/group/2

We've been devastated by injuries, including missing our #1 d-man and #1 goalie for extended stretches, and yet, magically, we're still in the playoffs. Are we where we should be? No. But the reality is that this team has had a rotating lineup for the last 20 games. So please, for the love of all that is holy, calm the hell down. People are crying like we're 0-33-0. We've been hit with more injuries than anyone else in the league and had struggles in important places, but yet, we're still a playoff team.

The world has not ended. We don't need a complete rebuild. And we don't need to fire everyone and everyone who built this team.
Thank you for posting this.

BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 03:58 PM
  #14
static80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,063
vCash: 500
The reality of it all is as plain as day.
As a fan, I don't have a choice. I have to wait until the injured return, if they return and the team is healthy, if it ever does get healthy that is.

And then, when the team continues to show a subpar performance or a 1st round playoff exit (because, quite honestly, they will) because of the same players.....what will your excuse be then?

More importantly, what will your excuse be for all of the wasted time doing this only to find out what we've already known for 4 seasons now, that this core, even with the additions in the off season, cannot get it done?

You and others have your "patience" view, and that is fine, it's also a good thing to express it. But the way you come off as though those of us who view it on the opposite end of the spectrum are somehow crying about the situation on a message board is pure hogwash.
So what if a percentage of the fan base is sick to death of seeing the same results year in and year out and wish to voice their frustrations. So far, your view of the issue is merely speculation, the opposite side of the issue happens to have a historical record on it's side.....

Just sayin..........

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:11 PM
  #15
BuffaloSabskis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
The reality of it all is as plain as day.
As a fan, I don't have a choice. I have to wait until the injured return, if they return and the team is healthy, if it ever does get healthy that is.

And then, when the team continues to show a subpar performance or a 1st round playoff exit (because, quite honestly, they will) because of the same players.....what will your excuse be then?

More importantly, what will your excuse be for all of the wasted time doing this only to find out what we've already known for 4 seasons now, that this core, even with the additions in the off season, cannot get it done?

You and others have your "patience" view, and that is fine, it's also a good thing to express it. But the way you come off as though those of us who view it on the opposite end of the spectrum are somehow crying about the situation on a message board is pure hogwash.
So what if a percentage of the fan base is sick to death of seeing the same results year in and year out and wish to voice their frustrations. So far, your view of the issue is merely speculation, the opposite side of the issue happens to have a historical record on it's side.....

Just sayin..........
How I feel right now is that total rebuild talk is crazy at this point and that this team is a good team if they are healthy. I feel I have not seen what this team is fully capable of yet. With that said I really do think Roy/Stafford or both should be traded if they can get some key players for them and if they continue to play poorly Ruff may need to go for a further shake up.

BuffaloSabskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:32 PM
  #16
dugman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Thanks for this. I think that, while the injuries haven't been a good thing in the short run, the Sabres have learned a great deal about the NHL readiness of the Rochester guys. Obviously, Kassian and McNabb are making a case for themselves (and Tropp before HIS injury), but Szczechura hasn't looked out of place, either. If the team ever starts getting healthy, there will be some personnel decisions that are tough to make, some trades that can be made, knowing we have able replacements. Also, even if these guys get sent down, they have gained valuable experience that will serve them well in the future.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 04:40 PM
  #17
aceface33
Registered User
 
aceface33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Herkimer, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,054
vCash: 500
I say this with all the love in the world, and it's your right as fans and all, but Buffalo sports fans can be the most histrionic, insecure bunch of people sometimes. Of course no one on these boards!

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
  #18
puckish66
Registered User
 
puckish66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Vanuatu
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
The Buffalo Sabres have always been injured. They've always been at war with the Eurasia Conference. Lindy has always been head coach and Darcy has always been the caretaker. Sabres fans have always been quiet intellectuals.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 06:24 PM
  #19
Squantosawuss
Registered User
 
Squantosawuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: B-lo
Country: Angola
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
I wish people would stop saying "well, even with all the injuries we're still in 7th". In reality, the Sabres are a breath away from 11th or 12th.

And a BIG reason the Sabres did as well as they did in the early part of the season is due to a VERY soft schedule, filled mostly with bottomfeeders. Don't believe me? GO LOOK! Beuatiful schedule in Oct & Nov if you wanna build a false sense of hope! The month of December, for example, has many more quality opponents...and the core of the team, which is UNinjured, is struggling mightily. The call-ups have actually played BETTER than the beloved core...so there goes the injury excuse right out the window.

Fact is, the so-called #1 goalie was NOT playing well BEFORE the injury, hence all the "Enroth" chants.

Simply put, the CORE needs to be rebuilt. Anybody who looks at this roster (when healthy) and see Cup contender, does not have a future as an NHL GM.


Last edited by Squantosawuss: 12-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
  #20
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon
 
chadthestampede's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 820
vCash: 500
I think people are tired of hearing/seeing the same thing every year.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
  #21
dma0034
Registered User
 
dma0034's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,443
vCash: 500
Florida 6-2-2
NY Rangers 6-3-1
Pittsburgh 5-5-0
New Jersey 6-4-0
Buffalo 4-4-2
Toronto 4-5-1
Winnipeg 6-4-0
Ottawa 4-4-2
Washington 4-6-0
Montreal 3-3-4
Tampa Bay 3-7-0
NY Islanders 5-3-2
Carolina 2-6-2

Last ten game for all but Philly and Boston.......It looks like every team in the conference is having a somewhat difficult time.

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:07 PM
  #22
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons
 
Sean McG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 757
vCash: 500
Thank you. Whenever there's a bad loss and all of the generic "Trade and fire everyone!!!" threads come up, I just remind myself that this time last season, we were in last. The reaction around here was pretty much the same just add "tank" at the end. We've never really had sky-high expectations like we did going into this season, and so far not matching those expectations sucks, but to emphasize your point... we are in the freaking playoffs.

I think this team fully healthy is still a legit number one center and maybe another top line forward away from being true title contenders, and I'm confident we have an owner who is willing to go get these guys. We need to re-tool, not re-build.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
  #23
minuteater
does not cohmpeet
 
minuteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
I'd like a more measured approach. They're not horrible but they're also not as great as we think or were told they should be even considering the injuries.

Make a move to make them better. But this blow the team up talk is dumb and not going to happen because it's just not realistic and does everyone really think that we can build a better team from the ground up by starting over? I believe that they are trying to build the best team that they can and didn't seem to be doing a bad job other then overpaying for Leino and moving him to center which most of us did think was a bad idea. Move a couple of pieces in, move a couple out and maybe shake up management a bit. We still may need to wait until the end of the season to see what really needs to be done other than maybe the few player personnel changes that we hopefully make.

minuteater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 08:49 PM
  #24
NoClue4u
Registered User
 
NoClue4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
So, I guess what you've chosen to ignore is that 7th place is 2 points (1 win) away from 12th? If we slip to 12th can we have threads about rebuilding the team? Seriously, the team is 10-12 over the last month and a half. That is just mediocrity. That is a bubble team. And after this past off season, and what Terry Pegula preached, that is certainly worth complaining on the internet about.

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 09:31 PM
  #25
Techno Allah
Registered User
 
Techno Allah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
So, I guess what you've chosen to ignore is that 7th place is 2 points (1 win) away from 12th? If we slip to 12th can we have threads about rebuilding the team? Seriously, the team is 10-12 over the last month and a half. That is just mediocrity. That is a bubble team. And after this past off season, and what Terry Pegula preached, that is certainly worth complaining on the internet about.
The sky is not falling. Terry Pegula did not preach winning the Stanley Cup one season after taking over the team. They made some good offseason moves, but not enough to stack the team and plan the parade. The season is not even at the half way point. Relax. If it continues this way a couple moves may be made, but there's no reason to blow it all up.

Techno Allah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.