HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton Nashville

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Bidding war. If he makes it to the market as a UFA, I would fully expect the price to go up to a highly, highly frontloaded contract similar to Christian Ehrhoff's of Brad Richards'. Weber can go about with his plan as he wants with the arbitration system. Maybe Poile didn't want to give him the two years, knowing he'd try and tes the FA market. If Weber wants to become a UFA, he will become one.
It wasn't Poile's choice. Before the arb. hearing, Weber got to choose whether he wanted a 1 or 2 year deal.

Of course Weber CAN become UFA if he wants. But the question is whether he wants to or not. Since the team cannot take him to arbitration again this summer, he can sign any contract he wants this summer. If given the choice, a player is going to choose long term security, every time.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:24 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I agree with the Pred fans. They value is horrible. But you know what? You're never going to get full value for a player is good as Nashville.

Can Nashville afford to resign him? Because if they can't they aren't going to get full value for him. I'm not saying that the best you're going to get is a future#2 d-man and a 1st rounder, but you're probably not going to get a hell of a lot better than that considering how much salary Nashville frees up in this deal.

Nashville is still a beast on the back end after a trade like this one and then they can resign Suter(who's going to be a bit cheaper) and maybe even *gasp* sign a good top-6 forward.

I can't remember a team so loaded on the rear and so weak up front winning the Stanley Cup.
New Jersey says hi.

We're NOT getting Weber (or Suter for that matter) fellow Oiler fans, so stop with the proposals please, your making the rest of us look bad. We dont have the pieces to do it yet (at least not ones that we would be willing to trade to get him), and who knows if he would want to stay in Edmonton anyways.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
It wasn't Poile's choice. Before the arb. hearing, Weber got to choose whether he wanted a 1 or 2 year deal.

Of course Weber CAN become UFA if he wants. But that question is whether he wants to or not. Since the team cannot take him to arbitration again this summer, he can sign any contract he wants this summer. If given the choice, a player is going to choose long term security, every time.
When you're a superstar like Weber is, not necessarily. You can get security and a lucrative, long term paycheck all in one when you're a UFA.

To make myself clear, I'm not arguing whether Weber as a player himself WANTS to be a UFA or re-signed, I'm just pointing out reasons why Weber would prefer to be a UFA as opposed to re-signing as an RFA.

12-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
When you're a superstar like Weber is, not necessarily. You can get security and a lucrative, long term paycheck all in one when you're a UFA.

To make myself clear, I'm not arguing whether Weber as a player himself WANTS to be a UFA or re-signed, I'm just pointing out reasons why Weber would prefer to be a UFA as opposed to re-signing as an RFA.
One of two things will happen in regards to Weber:
1. Sign long term in Nashville
2. Traded to a team of his liking during the summer and sign long term there (just like Kessel)

Weber already holds all the cards. There is no need for him to wait another year.

Old
12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrV View Post
Well... ya. But one could argue it's because he's being played as a top pairing as practically a rookie.
So you think he'll get you Weber? Great thread.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Keep dreaming.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:27 PM
mikelvl

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...n-the-NHL.html

Congratulations, you made the Hockey News 'HF Boards trade proposal of the week'. In case you needed confirmation of how horrible this proposal was

Quote:
Perfect HFBoards Trade Proposal of the Week

User "PrV" wants to help his beloved Oilers.

To Edmonton:

Shea Weber
To Nashville: Jeff Petry

2012 1st Round Draft Pick

Looks great!

Old
12-19-2011, 02:29 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

HAHAHAHA your concept of value is comical.

Closed Thread