HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Daniil Zharkov could be had by the Kings in the late stages of the 1st...

He's a LW/RW with good size at 6'3, 197. Was ranked 19th by Central Scouting's mid-term list but ended ranked 32nd in their final rankings. Him only appearing in 50 games in the OHL could have impacted his final ranking.

Old
05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
I can see that happening! If DL does that, then I hope we take a Russian with one of our picks! We're in a position to do so!

Anton Slepyshev, LW
Wow Super A great list of players, makes it easier for people like me to give quick responses/opinions. I will give you what I have on the players listed where I can give at least a mostly complete opinion. I will be putting up my draft at the end of the season to go along with the others here but can give a little bit here.

I will list my pov in revers order.

Anton Slepyshev

Good foot speed and typical Russian sense of the game. I liken his game to Frolov's an awful lot. The two look very similar at this age with the exception being AS looks to shoot more often. I know some of us have soured on AF over the years but as a kid he came in and played pretty well for us.

The reason that I can see us passing on him is that DL is said to want Max Kitsyn to come over and start his career with us and Max is now looking like he will honor the final year of his KHL contract and stay put.

Nice pick who looks like he will become an NHL forward if he can pick up his D game.

Phil Di Giuseppe

So here is what I like about him.

He plays a nice physical game and has some really nice moves. He might (a word that I don't like to use) develop into a top line O player but he also might become an AHL stalwart who always sits on the bubble between the two leagues.

To me he looks like a make or break kind of prospect, not that he doesn't work hard because on the 4 times I watched him play live this season he looks like he is always hustling and listening to his coaches, it is more the result of his being a step behind the play more often than not. He is one of those players so far who has the speed and drive to keep up but somehow seems like he is always working to get there.

This could change and he could become a heck of a player but unfortunately in this his draft year to me he still looks like he could end up on either side of the fence. I tend to stay away from these kind of players and can only think of one time when I have been bitten by it in the past few years.

Would we go after him? If I can see it then I have to think that the best scouting team in the NHL can too.

Nicolas Kerdiles

This kid is a DL type of player. He hits, plays both sides of the puck and is a developing O force. His drawback is that he seems to play injured an awful lot and he is going to have to develop a thicker skin to succeed in the NHL but, if he can make it we could have another Clifford'esque player with more upside offencively but less grit.

He is a very smart player. I like his speed and his sense of awareness on the ice. He needs to lift his head up more when he has the puck but that comes in time and with confidence. He is likely a bit of a project but he looks like a kid who could end up in the NHL. At worst if he continues down this path he makes it as a utility forward. At best a very strong 2B/3A type of player.

Stefan Matteau

Alright, so I will start by saying that he simply doesn't have his fathers skillset but does have his grit. I would pass on him as a late first round pick but take him as a late second rounder. He will be gone by then but that is where I see things.

His game?

He does allot of skating looking for that perfect hit and in doing so is caught out of position more often than not. I have seen it before and it typically turns out to be one of those habits that make young players look great but NHLers look stupid.

Brown is one of the best hitters in the game for several reasons but one of the more important ones being that he makes timely hits. He knows when where and who to hit more aften than not. Stafan looks for that one big hit against that one player and that can be catastrophic.

He has nice hands, nothing special but nice and he wants to be an impact player and that is something that you can't teach but he has a long way to go before he will be an NHLer. He has the pedigree to do so but he has long term project written all over him imo. Late second/3rd pick and he is a nice get. I think a couple of other teams won't be able to shake his fathers image out of their heads and he will be gone before then.

Christoval Nieves

The scouting report written seems to be dead on. He is one kid who I have only heard about but haven't any personal experience watching. I can only go by what I have heard/read and everything seems to say that he is an exceptional kid with heigh end skills. I tend to be less interested in most HS players but that doesn't mean that there aren't exceptional prospects that come from their ranks.

Dalton Thrower

See Greenie.

Project kid who likes to fight, can skate and has fair O awareness. Not going to be a lamplighter but also a bit better than average in the O zone. We are so loaded on D that with a few exceptions I haven't tried to spend too much time following too many D prospects this year and DT is no exception. If we ended up drafting him then I would rest comfortably with the pick. I have seen him a couple of times and he has never been too impressive but sometimes with D prospects that can be a good thing. The kid does throw bombs and has no fear when it comes to dropping the gloves.

I saw him make a good big hit once and throw his weight around another time but other than those two notes I don't have allot on him. I liked him but there are allot of kids like him out there. 3rd or later pick to me.

Old
05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Phil DiG please and thanks. I'm depressed without a Michigan boy on the team. Need my fix. ****ing do it Dean.

Old
05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Daniil Zharkov could be had by the Kings in the late stages of the 1st...

He's a LW/RW with good size at 6'3, 197. Was ranked 19th by Central Scouting's mid-term list but ended ranked 32nd in their final rankings. Him only appearing in 50 games in the OHL could have impacted his final ranking.
He's a really interesting player, but I would not draft him unless we trade down! He's maturing, but right now he's a very streaky player! Zharkov is a safer choice compared to Slepyshev, but I think Slepyshev could drop to the 3rd round...

If we trade down we could also take a chance on Andreas Athanasiou! Interesting player with some high-end skills! Maybe the fastest player in this years draft! A good comparison is Tomas Jurco, but Athanasiou has struggeled a lot this year!

A cool thing would be if we drafted another Shore in this draft! Quentin Shore!

Old
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post

Christoval Nieves

The scouting report written seems to be dead on. He is one kid who I have only heard about but haven't any personal experience watching. I can only go by what I have heard/read and everything seems to say that he is an exceptional kid with heigh end skills. I tend to be less interested in most HS players but that doesn't mean that there aren't exceptional prospects that come from their ranks.
This is a great goal from him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDTNSMdQfgA

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-08-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 03:53 PM
SuperAlmeida

A really interesting overager:

Jordan Martinook, C/LW

Height: 6'1"

Weight: 209 lbs

Club: Vancouver Giants, WHL

Stats: 72GP - 40G - 24A - 64 Pts - 80 PIM

Quote:
Martinook might be attractive for teams seeking an emerging power forward. He's a north-south player with superb foot speed and an outstanding wrist shot. He's six feet, 209 pounds and a Cy Young type, scoring more than he assists (30 goals, 14 helpers).

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/M...#ixzz1uJV7NQxI
Quote:
The youngster emerged as a strong two way, power forward this season and into the playoffs, where he took his game to the next level. In the first round of the WHL playoffs, the six-foot Leduc resident took his physical and offensive brand of hockey to the next level. In the 4-2 series loss to the Seattle Thunderbirds, Martinook was second in scoring with nine goals in six games, with three goals and six assists. He was also a plus five and recorded only two penalty minutes. Eight of those nine points came in the first two games of the series, which allowed him to win player of the week honours for the last week of March.

With two full WHL seasons under his belt, Martinook is looking towards the next step in his hockey career —a shot at the pros. At 19 he is still available to be drafted by a National Hockey League (NHL) team, but that’s not his only option.

“My goal for the upcoming year is to hopefully go pro. I’ve got some interest, but at this point I have to wait and see,” he explained.

Last year’s offseason training was a big reason for Martinook’s success this year, something he hopes he can recreate again over the next few months, but different scenarios will be awaiting him if his pro hockey dreams come true for 2012-2013.

“I’ll be training to not only play against 18-20 year olds, but against guys who are playing to feed their families. I’m going to need to get stronger and better in every aspect.”

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-08-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old
05-08-2012, 03:55 PM
SCARFACE909

All depends now if Columbus takes the pick or not. I'm gonna guess they take 2013 instead based on the run so far.

Old
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Phil DiG please and thanks. I'm depressed without a Michigan boy on the team. Need my fix. ****ing do it Dean.
Martinez and Greene are Michiganders. They just didn't go to that fancy school.

Old
05-08-2012, 06:26 PM
JCabranes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
For me it's just too early to think about for several reasons. One, the prospect draft rankings will probably be scrambled before the season is over and two, we have no idea where we'll finish. We could finish in the bottom ten or top ten for all we know.

As always, assuming Lombardi is still here, the Kings will draft the best player available with an emphasis on the back end.
I want the 30th pick.

Old
05-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I would love to see the Kings go with Boo. I have never seen him play outside of youtube videos, but he supposedly looked good in the USHL after spending the season at a prep school. He is one of the most intriguing recruits in recent memory, since most of our guys have been either NTDP or Canadian Jr. A guys. I know some people close to the program who are salivating about this guys potential. With proper coaching and development he could be a major talent at the NHL level.

I don't see PDG as a first round guy right now. He kind of hit a wall this season after a tremendous start and there are some other holes in his game that he needs to work on. In fairness to him he was one of the youngest players in college hockey this season. But he has a great skill-set and is an excellent skater, so it wouldn't shock me in the least to see someone take a flier on him in the late 1st round. Especially a team like the Kings who lack a player like that in the system.

Old
05-09-2012, 02:03 AM
Brodeur

Wonder if Tanner Pearson would be on the radar. Kings staff hasn't been shy about taking undrafted players with relatively high picks.

- Trevor Lewis (2006) -- Different set of scouts
- Wayne Simmonds (2007)
- Andrew Campbell (2008)
- Andy Andreoff (2011)

Pearson could join Manchester right away and he kept pace with Tyler Toffoli in the OHL for most of the year.

Old
05-09-2012, 04:53 AM
SuperAlmeida

Really interesting article!

Quote:
A Seat at the Kings Draft Table

The Kings were faced with a conundrum during the second round of the 2007 NHL Draft.
Their instincts told them one thing, but studious preparation suggested something else.

As their pick, No. 52 overall, approached, the Kings were surprised to find Oscar Moller available, as they figured he would have been selected much earlier. A slam-dunk pick, right? Not so fast, because the Kings’ draft list was telling them to pick someone else.

Months of draft preparation had led the Kings to rank Moller behind a gangly, unheralded youngster named Wayne Simmonds, a prospect so marginal that some draft publications didn’t even bother ranking him. But the Kings thought very highly of him.

What to do? The Kings also held the No. 61 pick, but if they obeyed their list and picked Simmonds at No. 52, it was highly unlikely that Moller would be available at No. 61. But by picking Moller, general manager Dean Lombardi would be varying from his draft list, a Halley’s Comet moment for a GM who deeply believes in structure and order.

This drama didn’t play out in a quiet, sterile boardroom, and it didn’t receive the benefit of hours of debate. It played out on a crowded arena floor in Columbus, Ohio, and the decision had to be made by a handful of Kings executives in a matter of minutes.

Welcome to the draft table, that mysterious territory seen only from a distance. When the NHL Draft starts this afternoon at STAPLES Center, the brain trust of each of the 30 teams will huddle around a table and hunker down for seven rounds of intensity.

Who to pick? When to pick him? Trade up? Trade down? Trade picks for veteran players? Vice versa? A countless number of scenarios can pop up during the draft, and split-second decisions can leave a GM feeling enthused or angry.

"All you can do, in advance, is practice," Lombardi said this week, while preparing for his fifth draft as Kings GM. "You can't go through every scenario, but it's about practicing their minds. 'What would you do here?' It's no different than training yourself physically, because you have to think quickly on your feet. So we'll run these hypotheticals. Before the draft, you're in the office until 11 at night practicing."

The Kings’ draft table will feature some of Lombardi’s closest advisers, including assistant GM Ron Hextall, co-directors of amateur scouting Michael Futa and Mark Yannetti, special assistant Jack Ferreira and the team’s scouts, all of whom have spent months preparing and familiarizing themselves with a couple hundred players.

Along with Lombardi, the core of the draft team are Futa and Yannetti, who were hired in June 2007 and quickly became Lombardi’s right-hand men in all things draft-related.

At some point, a tough decision will need to be made. Lombardi will turn to Futa and Yannetti and expect a quick, decisive and accurate opinion. By that point, the staff will have spent hours, if not days, in the team’s El Segundo offices, drilling and cramming like a teenager preparing for a Calculus final. Sometimes that work pays off.

Take, for instance, the Moller/Simmonds scenario. Two players, two picks (Nos. 52 and 61). The Kings had Simmonds ranked higher on their list, but felt certain that Moller would be gone at No. 61. They rolled the dice, took Moller at No. 52 and held their breath through the next eight picks. Simmonds was still there, and became a King.

"With Moller, we were shocked that he was there," Lombardi said this week. "We thought we had no chance at him. The thing was, we wanted Simmonds. Then we went, 'Oh boy,' because we were worried about losing Simmonds, but there's Moller. So the strategy changed, and it was risky. I remember Jack (Ferreira) was really upset that we might pass on Simmonds if we got greedy. We weren't going to get Moller much later. He was a much higher-profile guy. So your list might not change, but you might bump a guy because you know he's got a low profile.

"So, for instance, Simmonds was very high on our list, and Moller was fairly high, but because Simmonds had gone through two drafts (without being picked), we knew there was a chance he was going to drop, and Moller wasn't. So when Moller was falling, we made a change. That's a change based on how it falls."

And it’s a decision the Kings had to make and execute within 10, maybe 15 minutes.

The key is communication, and trust.

Entering the draft, the Kings will work from a complete list of draft-eligible players, ranked by their preference. It’s never as simple, though, as waiting for your turn and seeing who is available. On the contrary, it’s about identifying a player as a realistic option and determining whether there’s a need to move up or down to get that player.

Lombardi is considered one of the more prominent chess players in that area. This week, he described a scenario from two years ago, when the Kings had a pick in the middle of the fourth round. They had identified the player they wanted to take, but scouts told Lombardi that another team might pick that player ahead of the Kings.

"So then that's when I start working the phones, looking at teams and trying to move up," Lombardi said. "I'll usually start doing it three picks behind whoever is picking. It's, 'OK, I'm 15 spots behind you. Would you trade that pick for my pick and my seventh,' or something like that. The tighter that gap is, the less you have to give up, obviously. So if they tell me I have to move up, I'll start working the phones from about three picks back, and just keep going until somebody will make that deal or until (the player) goes.

"So that's the way that works. I've got (pick number) 135, and on the board right now is 115. So if there's a team three spots ahead of us that I'm worried about, I'll start trying to get ahead of them right away. I'll call the team at 118. 'Do you want to do this?' They say no. Then it's 119, 120, and keep on working, until (the player) goes or you luck out and it's there."

Sometimes, the tables get turned. Late in the first round of the 2008 draft, Lombardi was on a conference call with reporters, talking about the Kings’ selections of defensemen Drew Doughty and Colten Teubert in the first round.

Suddenly distracted, Lombardi said, "I’ve got to go." A few minutes later, the Phoenix Coyotes traded up into the No. 28 spot and picked Viktor Tikhonov. The Kings, who had pick No. 32, were set to take Tikhonov.

"That's frustrating, but that's good work by Phoenix," Lombardi said. "They probably knew we were interested in him. They moved up because they had the extra picks. They paid a steep price to move up. I was pissed, but the only thing you can say as a GM is, 'OK, would I have made that deal to move up?' In the end, the only thing I'm glad about is that they paid a pretty steep price to move up. The thing that really makes you mad is, afterward, thinking, 'I could have done this and paid that price.'

"But stuff where you make mistakes, and the inexperience shows up, you only know if you're sitting at the draft table. The fans would never know. We would have discussions afterward and say, 'Hey boys, this can't happen again.' Unless you're at that table, and understanding what we're trying to do, an outsider would have no clue. There was a point when I knew we weren't sharp, and I said, 'We're not sharp. We've got to be quicker. You've got to have this in order.' Things can happen. This staff, no question they work hard. They've got a good mind."

The Kings enter the draft with nine picks. Chances are, they’ll end up with more or fewer. Certainly, during the seven rounds, nerves will be tested and decisions will be made. Then a few weeks later, the process will start all over again, as preparations are made for the 2011 draft.

In between, though, there is some time for reflection.

"After the draft, we'll have meetings and go through it," Lombardi said. "For a couple days everyone will relax, and then during the development camp, we'll sit down and review every potential situation we had, the moves we made and the ones we didn't make, and we'll say, 'OK, where did we screw up? What did we do well? What didn't we do well?' Then it's, 'What did we learn from it?' We had one gaffe last year, and I don't think it will happen again."
I'm glad we didn't draft Tikhonov! Link!

Old
05-09-2012, 05:01 AM
SuperAlmeida

I think NJ Devils will drop this years 1st round pick because of the Kovalchuk-saga.

Quote:
Consequently, the NHL penalized the Devils for trying to circumvent the NHL Salary Cap with Kovalchuk's original contract. As a result, the Devils surrendered $3 million, a third round draft choice in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and one future first round draft choice within the next four seasons.

Old
05-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Really interesting article!

I'm glad we didn't draft Tikhonov! Link!
Yes fine article...I believe we picked Slava Voynov instead of Tikhonov.

Old
05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Yes fine article...I believe we picked Slava Voynov instead of Tikhonov.
That worked out well.

I find it interesting that the two players DL wanted to move up to get, or was surprised were still available were Mollar and Tikhonov, two guys that are arguably not going to have an NHL career in the future (still possible, but unlikely), while the two guys that DL was willing to let fall to him in Simmonds and Voynov are having big NHL impacts.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Capn Brown

If Columbus doesn't take our 1st rounder, I'd just assume trade it for two 2nd rounders.

Old
05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Surprised nobody has mentioned Martin Frk. He was a possible top 5 pick, but he had a severe concussion I believe and didn't play all year. He's ranked around 25 overall atm. I say we take a shot if he's available.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Surprised nobody has mentioned Martin Frk. He was a possible top 5 pick, but he had a severe concussion I believe and didn't play all year. He's ranked around 25 overall atm. I say we take a shot if he's available.
Frk actually played 36 regular season games and 17 playoff games with Halifax and really didn't put up the numbers you'd have expected, concussion or not, especially playing with MacKinnon.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=129699

According to CSB, he is ranked 20th amoungst NA skaters. CSB doesn't use a combined list for Europeans and goalies, so translated that means he'd be about 35th overall on their list, give or take a few spots.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?cat=1

For February, TSN had him ranked 24th overall

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=58417

In April, Craig Button had him at 37th:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

He'd defeinately be in our range, possibly a bit below that. That said, I could see someone ignoring the low numbers and taking a flyer on him, particularly a team a bit deeper in talent up front than us.

The thing that worries me about Frk is the fact that as a 1993 birthdate, he is several months older - in some cases 11 months older- than other prospects and that often can reflect itself in higher/better numbers, especially for wingers whose primary goal is score goals. The fact Frk really didn't light it up -though his goals per game was up noticeably- gives my a cautionary approach.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Monarchist

Is Frk the one who taunted team Sweden at the Juniors?

Old
05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
SuperAlmeida

If we miss out on Nicolas Kerdiles, then I hope we trade down and pick up a guy like Nieves and maybe a guy like Anton Slepyshev/Brian Hart/Jordan Martinook!

Here's an interesting 14 min. interview (podcast) from last year with Mike Futa (Co-Director of Amateur Scouting) about Draft strategy!

If we look at the past drafts it looks very clear to me that we are not going to draft a European prospect in the first round. Therefore we could almost scratch off Määtää, Byström, Lindholm and Pokka. Furthermore we have only drafted one swede under Dean Lombardi, which was Schumacher. I'm sure that Lombardi already knew that he was going to play in NA the upcoming season! Lombardi has a trend by drafting one or more russians somewhere in the draft!
Link fixed!

Last edited by SuperAlmeida: 05-10-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old
05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
If we miss out on Nicolas Kerdiles, then I hope we trade down and pick up a guy like Nieves and maybe a guy like Anton Slepyshev/Brian Hart/Jordan Martinook!

Here's an interesting 14 min. interview (podcast) from last year with Mike Futa (Co-Director of Amateur Scouting) about Draft strategy!
Linky no worky.

Old
05-10-2012, 04:34 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Linky no worky.
Fixed

Old
05-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Capn Brown

According to this mock(http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2012/), there are 3 goalies in round 2. Wouldn't it be just like DL to...

1) trade his 1st for a couple of 2nds, and then.....

2) take a goalie with one 2nd and a defenseman with the other 2nd?

Old
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Just FYI, one thing not yet mentioned is that every year, DL has drafted at least one player who participated in the top prospects game every year:

2006: Jonathan Bernier
2007: Thomas Hickey, Oscar Moller, Linden Rowat, Bryan Cameron
2008: Drew Doughty, Colten Teubert, Geordie Wudrick
2009: Brayden Schenn
2010: Tyler Toffoli, Jordan Weal
2011: Christopher Gibson

So if you want to look at players who participated in the top prospect game this year, and give yourself a few ideas of who might be on the Kings radar, feel free to check it out:

http://www.homehardwaretopprospects....ter/listBlocks

Old
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Fixed
still no worky

Closed Thread