HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Will the Capitals ever win with Ovechkin?

Old
03-09-2014, 08:46 PM
george14

vCash: 500
Will the Capitals ever win with Ovechkin?

I know I will get crapped on for saying this, but here's my two cents:

The Caps will never win anything with Ovechkin unless he changes his game. Or, they build a superstar team around him. Their offense is so centered around him, come playoff time when you see the same team for at least 4 games straight, you figure it out. There is a reason they haven't been past the 2nd round of the playoffs since he came there.

Washington has had all stars along with Ovi like Semin, Backstrom, Green and other solid players like Ward, Carlson, Laich, Schultz, Kozlov, Fedorov, etc. Hell in 2011 they had some of the best goaltending in the game.

I know some Ovechkin slappy will come on here and complain about how bad their teams were, but in reality, they are a one dimensional team with Ovechkin being their offense.

george14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Will Ovechkin ever win with the Capitals?

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

The reason they have never won anything with Ovechkin is the buffoon that is making the team. Ovi has produced in most playoff series he has been in, I still remember the epic Crosby and Ovi battle of 2009. He can't win if the rest of his team is crap. Believe it or not, 1 player can't win the cup himself. The "great" Capitals teams had extremely bad F depth and/or extremely bad D. They didn't have the depth or defense that other cup winning teams had.

Vokouna Maattata is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:50 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator

They'd be even worse without him. The problem is the team, not Ovechkin. That's lunacy.

03-09-2014, 08:51 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Will Ovechkin ever win with the Capitals?
This is the correct question.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:52 PM
george14

I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm saying the offense is so centered around him, I don't think they will ever win while doing it. Either he needs to change his style or the coaches need to realize it. The guy takes 800 shots a season and I think if he possibly dealt the puck more, they would be better and more productive. He would draw attention away.

Old
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Ujjy

TC right now

Ujjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
Originally Posted by george14 View Post
I'm not saying he is a bad player, I'm saying the offense is so centered around him, I don't think they will ever win while doing it. Either he needs to change his style or the coaches need to realize it. The guy takes 800 shots a season and I think if he possibly dealt the puck more, they would be better and more productive. He would draw attention away.
They don't have the depth to do that, which goes back to the person who makes the team. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Boston and Detroit had the depth to do that. Washington both then and now don't have that depth.

Old
03-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Do you really think that his style and his absurd number of shots per season is the reason for the Caps' failure ?

Old
03-09-2014, 08:57 PM
george14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
They don't have the depth to do that, which goes back to the person who makes the team. Teams like Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Boston and Detroit had the depth to do that. Washington both then and now don't have that depth.
I actually disagree with that. Maybe not this year, but look at the players Washington had in the past. Green, Laich, Backstrom, Semin, Fedorov, Ward, Grabovski, Knuble, etc, etc. I'm not saying these guys can crank 50, but those guys can score 20-30 goals a season.

There are plenty of guys who can become 30 goal scorers when playing with other great players. I know Ovechkin is not a distributor, but my point is that I don't see his style working for the team.

Old
03-09-2014, 08:58 PM
OzzyFan

Their goals allowed/season over the past has ranked league wide over the past 3 seasons: 24th, 18th, 21st. Their defense has been subpar each of the last 3yrs.

And do you forget:

Caps gave have won their division 5 of the 8 seasons ovechkin has played for them.
Caps won the Eastern conference in the regular season 2 of the 8 seasons ovechkin has played for them. It's not like they were bad. lol

They've been great and mediocre with Ovechkin. Rarely to never is a the 2nd greatest player in the world a reason why his team isn't doing good.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Washington's lack of success has a lot more to do with George Mcphee than it does Ovechkin. Any star player would be in tough to win under those circumstances.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:01 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
It's not Ovechkin's fault that the rest of the team sucks. Did you even put any thought into this before you posted?

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:02 PM
george14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyFan View Post
Their goals allowed/season over the past has ranked league wide over the past 3 seasons: 24th, 18th, 21st. Their defense has been subpar each of the last 3yrs.

And do you forget:

Caps gave have won their division 5 of the 8 seasons ovechkin has played for them.
Caps won the Eastern conference in the regular season 2 of the 8 seasons ovechkin has played for them. It's not like they were bad. lol

They've been great and mediocre with Ovechkin. Rarely to never is a the 2nd greatest player in the world a reason why his team isn't doing good.
Stamkos? Tavares? Toews? Malkin? Datsyuk?

Anyhow, those are cute stats, but like I said they have never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Convenient how you leave out this year where the Caps won't even make the playoffs. I'm a Wings fan, winning the conference is meaningless.....trust me. All that matters is competing in the playoffs.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:03 PM
Defeatist*

Not as long as the team is built around him. He's not a winner or leader you win with as the go to guy. He fits more of a secondary and complementary role where he isn't counted on as the main reason for winning. He can be a follower and win, but can't be a leader and win.

Defeatist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:03 PM
DrDangles

No, but they will win with Kuznetsov after they trade OV for Gagner, a 3rd, and future considerations.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
george14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire TortsGillis View Post
Not as long as the team is built around him. He's not a winner or leader you win with as the go to guy. He fits more of a secondary and complementary role when he isn't counted on as the main reason for winning. He can be a follower and win, but can't be a leader and win.
Hey, someone who sees it my way. Finally.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:04 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Washington's lack of success has a lot more to do with George Mcphee than it does Ovechkin. Any star player would be in tough to win under those circumstances.
Exactly. They may have had the offensive depth a few years back but McPhee never truly did address the defence. Running rookie goalie after rookie goalie in the playoffs was another huge McPhee mistake.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

Quote:
I actually disagree with that. Maybe not this year, but look at the players Washington had in the past. Green, Laich, Backstrom, Semin, Fedorov, Ward, Grabovski, Knuble, etc, etc. I'm not saying these guys can crank 50, but those guys can score 20-30 goals a season.
Most of those players produced along Ovechkin, but that's not what I'm talking about when I say depth. Look at the 2009 Penguins for an example. Without that 3rd line (Cooke-Staal-Kennedy), the Pens would not have won the cup. That's the kind if depth you need to win cups, not Laich, Ward or Grabovski. While the Caps top line of Ovi-Backstrom-Semin was powerful, that's all those teams had. There wasn't any good depth on those teams.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:10 PM
Bladerunner

Quote:
I'm not saying he is a bad player,
Unbelievable, that's generous of you
[mod]

Quote:
I'm saying the offense is so centered around him, I don't think they will ever win while doing it.
No slitz it's centered around him - it's not like they have many finishers or shooters on the team. Even our best C is shy about taking a shot once in a while. You know to keep the other team guessing. And for the nth time, #8 is an underrated passer. Since you're an "authority" tell me who's a good finisher on the team?

Quote:
Either he needs to change his style or the coaches need to realize it. The guy takes 800 shots a season and I think if he possibly dealt the puck more, they would be better and more productive. He would draw attention away.
Freaking HC Oates & GMGM need to get on the same page or same book would be a start, and bring in at least 1 top 4 dman. Hopefully Kuz will help offensively, Halak will be good or better, and Holts will find his game. Else the team is in deep doo-doo.

FFS Ovechkin is getting more loony threads than Philly Kessel. At least some of Kessel's are hyping him

Ovechkin, and his game, are not this teams problems.

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 03-09-2014 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Not needed
Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:11 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire TortsGillis View Post
Not as long as the team is built around him. He's not a winner or leader you win with as the go to guy. He fits more of a secondary and complementary role where he isn't counted on as the main reason for winning. He can be a follower and win, but can't be a leader and win.
There's no such thing as a winner (player) in a team sport.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:13 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
There's no such thing as a winner (player) in a team sport.
Yep. Take Ovechkin off the Caps during his entire tenure and replace him with any other player. Guess what? McPhee is still running the show and they're still at 0 Cups.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Gustavo Fring
Analytics R4 nerds

The correct question is " Will the Capitals ever win with George McPhee as GM and Dick Patrick as President"?

The answer, a resounding "No"!!!

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Stamkos? Tavares? Toews? Malkin? Datsyuk?

Anyhow, those are cute stats, but like I said they have never made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs. Convenient how you leave out this year where the Caps won't even make the playoffs. I'm a Wings fan, winning the conference is meaningless.....trust me. All that matters is competing in the playoffs.
Here are some other cute stats for you : Ovechkin in the playoffs
58 games :31 goals 30 assists 61 pts

That guy is clutch in the playoffs.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:17 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Yep. Take Ovechkin off the Caps during his entire tenure and replace him with any other player. Guess what? McPhee is still running the show and they're still at 0 Cups.
Spot on !