HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You are the coach

Old
12-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Hipster Letestu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Wave Wiz. Nobody would take him for full money but we could be rid of him on reentry. Sure, we would be on the hook for half his salary through the life of the contract but at least we would be done with who I consider to be the worst defensive defenseman in the league.
Say what you want about Wiz and yes, his defense hasn't been good this year, but he works his butt off. He cares about the product on the ice, you can see it when he talks to the media. He is one of the people I would want to keep even if he is overpaid.

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Matt Foley
That's right, Edna

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
The first thing I do is make them pass in practice till they puke....a different type of Herbies. This team has always been a terrible passing team, I had hoped Arniel was going to fix that, but apparently not.
Apparently $62 million doesn't buy as many tape-to-tape passes as it used to...

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:51 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I wouldn't quit. NHL coaching jobs are hard to get.

First step:

Assess the team. What are they capable of doing, one by one?

I'm not much of a "system guy." I would coach to whatever strengths the team has rather than trying to force-fit a roster to my style. Next step, looking at the roster as a group, what can they handle?

I see a reasonably large bodied group of forwards with a few skilled guys and lots of bangers. I see a defense with little in the way of strong shut down types, several guys who are ok offensively (mainly Wisniewski and Clitsome) and some tweeners.

What can this group do? They can hit. They aren't particularly fast (or especially slow either). A couple have very good shots in Nash and Carter, and a couple seem to have pretty good vision in Brassard and Johansen. I have two guys who are very good on face-offs, and at least one guy with average skill who is willing to run through a wall if asked in Dorsett.

I have at best average goaltending.

Ok, I have to build a team that clogs the middle to protect my defense and goalie group. I need a very physical approach to both offense and defense.
First things first, I begin drilling into every players head how I expect them to defend. I would make clear every player's responsibility in every situation I can think of, and I would drill it over and over and over until it becomes second nature to them.

Offensively, I start by assembling at least two lines with skill and at least one big body on each line. I begin to run a lot of practices where on offense we are schooling my forward group to attack goalies and clog the net area. I might park two guys on the doorstep when on the powerplay.

I'd make this team one that makes goalie's lives miserable. And I wouldn't yell, scream or punish. I would constantly make sure they understood what I want them to do, and I would drill it until it becomes second nature.

Frankly, at this stage of the game, I'm trying to build a team that executes the little things well. This season is over as far as playoffs go. Now I'm building a team for the coming years that competes by paying attention to detail and raising expectations. If retained and the roster changes appreciably, I would then make changes to my style of play.

By the way, this team once had a coach who took a similar approach.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
Apparently $62 million doesn't buy as many tape-to-tape passes as it used to...
$62m poorly spent.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:14 AM
BluejacketNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
I wouldn't quit. NHL coaching jobs are hard to get.

First step:

Assess the team. What are they capable of doing, one by one?

I'm not much of a "system guy." I would coach to whatever strengths the team has rather than trying to force-fit a roster to my style. Next step, looking at the roster as a group, what can they handle?

I see a reasonably large bodied group of forwards with a few skilled guys and lots of bangers. I see a defense with little in the way of strong shut down types, several guys who are ok offensively (mainly Wisniewski and Clitsome) and some tweeners.

What can this group do? They can hit. They aren't particularly fast (or especially slow either). A couple have very good shots in Nash and Carter, and a couple seem to have pretty good vision in Brassard and Johansen. I have two guys who are very good on face-offs, and at least one guy with average skill who is willing to run through a wall if asked in Dorsett.

I have at best average goaltending.

Ok, I have to build a team that clogs the middle to protect my defense and goalie group. I need a very physical approach to both offense and defense.
First things first, I begin drilling into every players head how I expect them to defend. I would make clear every player's responsibility in every situation I can think of, and I would drill it over and over and over until it becomes second nature to them.

Offensively, I start by assembling at least two lines with skill and at least one big body on each line. I begin to run a lot of practices where on offense we are schooling my forward group to attack goalies and clog the net area. I might park two guys on the doorstep when on the powerplay.

I'd make this team one that makes goalie's lives miserable. And I wouldn't yell, scream or punish. I would constantly make sure they understood what I want them to do, and I would drill it until it becomes second nature.

Frankly, at this stage of the game, I'm trying to build a team that executes the little things well. This season is over as far as playoffs go. Now I'm building a team for the coming years that competes by paying attention to detail and raising expectations. If retained and the roster changes appreciably, I would then make changes to my style of play.

By the way, this team once had a coach who took a similar approach.
Youre hired

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
squarelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Square, he said "coach" not "GM". They aren't going to waive Wiz, not this soon into his contract. I wouldn't suggest they do that either. Very poor idea.
OK, hows this, scratch him until the GM asks why. Say I as coach am not going to play him. It's not like his minuses are of what I'll call "soft", you know goal scored against that was not in any way influenced by you. Wiz is the guy who doesn't stand up a forward at the blue line and then loafs to cover the guy who would have been checked by the forward who is covering his a$$. He's the guy who can't clear the crease. He's the guy who wiffs while playing the point. He's the guy who tries the hail Mary pass through the middle with 10 seconds left in the period. He has truely earned his minuses and caused those who were unfortunate enough to be on the ice with him to be - too.

I say many others would be where I am now if it wasn't for the second assists he's getting for missing the net.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:35 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
OK, hows this, scratch him until the GM asks why. Say I as coach am not going to play him.
Very bad idea.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:40 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
What I do is call in every player for a 1on1 meeting, and ask them why they deserve to be in the lineup. If they convince me to let them be in, then I run them through hell in practice. Bag skate, bag skate, bag skate. For the players that are not playing they watch practice and report back to me after practice and explain what they will do differently when they get back on the ice. During the morning skate I let everyone skate, but before the skate I bring in both goalies and run through what the opposing team likes to do, then I evaluate who I think will be able to stop their strategies the best, start that guy and run that system throughout the year.

You want to play for me? Earn it, I don't care if you are Siidney Crosby, give me effort of you can watch.
Ah yes, beatings commence until morale improves.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:14 AM
blahblah

Since I know they aren't going to can me...

First thing.

The top nine would consist of:

Nash/DM/Dorse
Carter/Johansen/Prospal
RJ/Letestu/Vermette

There would be no swapping out of the top line. That would be my lines for the next three to four weeks and then adjust if necessary. I want that damn top line to skate, forecheck, and compete like hell. Nash needs those around him to get him back on track. If Nash isn't skating he will stick on like sore thumb with those guys.

Next thing.

Wiz would be off the PK and Moore would take his spot. I would swap Moore and Methot out.

I would ask Howson to put Johnson on waivers and call up another defensemen. Clitsome would go to my #7 and ask Howson to trade him for a more defensive minded defensemen.

Finally:

Nash and Carter would be in on the PK. Carter/Nash, Dorse/DM would be my PK. RJ and Vermette would be the third pairing.

With those adjustments, you naturally have to lighten the 5 on 5 time of the top line and move those minutes to the 3rd or 4th line.

Last edited by blahblah: 12-19-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old
12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:

I would ask Howson to put Johansen on waivers
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant to type Johnson

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you meant to type Johnson
Yep.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:05 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:

First thing.

Nash/DM/Dorse
Carter/Johansen/Prospal
RJ/Letestu/Vermette

There would be no swapping out of the top line. That would be my lines for the next three to four weeks and then adjust if necessary. I want that damn top line to skate, forecheck, and compete like hell. Nash needs those around him to get him back on track. If Nash isn't skating he will stick on like sore thumb with those guys.

Next thing.

Wiz would be off the PK and Moore would take his spot. I would swap Moore and Methot out.

I would ask Howson to put Johnson on waivers and call up another defensemen. Clitsome would go to my #7 and ask Howson to trade him for a more defensive minded defensemen.

Finally:

Nash and Carter would be in on the PK. Carter/Nash, Dorse/DM would be my PK. RJ and Vermette would be the third pairing.

With those adjustments, you naturally have to lighten the 5 on 5 time of the top line and move those minutes to the 3rd or 4th line.
I agree with PK and put Moore but lines of forwards? Very bad IMO.

But the problem is that not only the coach will help because our team does not have a good chemistry IMO.

if only from players who we have now so:

Vermette--Carter--xxx (ask Howson to call Atkinson/Mayorov/Kubalik)
Prospal--Johansen--Nash
Umberger--Pahlsson--Dorsett
MacKenzie--Letestu--Boll

Tyutin, Nikitin
Methot, Wisniewski
Moore, xxx (ask Howson to call Holden/Ruth)

Sanford

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 01:14 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I agree with PK and put Moore but lines of forwards? Very bad IMO.
Our forward lines are already very bad. Think about why I am putting together that top line for a while and come back to me. Hint: It's already in what I wrote, but my guess is you glossed over it and didn't give it more than two seconds of consideration per usual.

If you really think this is an issue of chemistry you are in as bad of shape right now as Howson appears to be or, worse yet, that country club poster.

Having said that DM already played on the top line for a while this year and it was fairly successful. You just hate Dorse with a fiery passion and you have no objectivity when it comes to anything with him and ice time, so I have little use for your opinion on anything related to Dorse.

That top line wasn't about being productive, it was about Nash and rewarding the players that are playing their ***** off.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:21 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Our forward lines are already very bad. Think about why I am putting together that top line for a while and come back to me. Hint: It's already in what I wrote, but my guess is you glossed over it and didn't give it more than two seconds of consideration per usual.

If you really think this is an issue of chemistry you are in as bad of shape right now as Howson appears to be or, worse yet, that country club poster.
The true is that our team should be changed... and the most of players. IMO it would be difficult for the most coaches with this material.

For example I do not understand why Brassard wasnt be traded when we get Carter or at least after the camp when Johansen has get his spot. The next... we dont have too much classical wingers... have too much centers is not any solution.

Next...why did not get a goalie after Sanford and Dekanich injury.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
The true is that our team should be changed... and the most of players. IMO it would be difficult for the most coaches with this material.
I think we have the forward to compete and I don't think we are that far off on defense. The coach is a huge problem right now.

Quote:
For example I do not understand why Brassard wasnt be traded when we get Carter or at least after the camp when Johansen has get his spot. The next... we dont have too much classical wingers... have too much centers is not any solution.
I don't by the natural winger argument. The Flyers wanted Jake over Brass. Easy explanation. I would rather have kept Jake over Brass myself.

Quote:
Next...why did not get a goalie after Sanford and Dekanich injury.
Because of consideration of roster spots and what to do when they came back. Not a great reason, but it shouldn't be a question. I had said it was time to put Mason on waivers and work him out in Springfield the rest of the year and get another goal tender. However, they would have likely needed to move salary in order to do that (we are already running a huge deficit).

Old
12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I do not say that traded for Carter but why he did not trade after this trade or when Johansen put his spot.

The goalie... I was mistaken here... it is right the getting of golaie is not easy...I take it back, my mistake.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I do not say that traded for Carter but why he did not trade after this trade or when Johansen put his spot.
I have no idea why Brassard is still on this team. Could be his salary, could be management doesn't want to move him, or it could be the front office is over valuing him on the market and don't like the offers they are getting.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:

First thing.

Nash/DM/Dorse
Carter/Johansen/Prospal
RJ/Letestu/Vermette

Next thing.

Finally:

I actually really like that idea of the first line. It might show the fans how much of a loser Nash really is, unless he steps up his game with those two, which he might. Its a win win!

GoJackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Matt

I would send MacKenzie to the all star game instead of Nash

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
MapleJ

prospal.

MapleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:23 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

If you want DMac or Prospal in the All Star game, better start voting. As I'm sure you know, the coach cannot choose to "send" them. That game rarely has anything to do with who truly deserves to be an all star in that particular season.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:04 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

I am not DD a DM fan... but I must say... these boys play very hard, every shiff... they can spit out their spirit in the each shift. If every player was play as them and Jared Boll and Vinnie Prospal, we would be in PO spots.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:21 AM
BR217

Might be repeating a bit, but I need to go with everything that I feel is necessary in the coaching position.

First off, I'm requesting that Johnson is waived and sent to the minors if he clears. Until Martinek is healthy I'd also request that Nick Holden is called up and he's immediately put into competition with Clitsome for a 5/6 spot, as well as some top unit powerplay time.

Next I'm shaking up the lines. We don't have the luxury of holding Johansen back like Seguin got in Boston. Give him time with Carter and Vermette on the top line. The other lines will look like this:
Prospal - Brassard - Nash
Umberger - Letestu - Dorsett
Mackenzie - Pahlsson - Byers/Boll

I'll take the Tortorella approach with Nash, expect his ass plastered to the bench if he's not going hard every shift. It's ridiculous. If he can do it in a Team Canada uniform, then he can do it here...no excuses. I'd be in his ear if the mistakes and half-assed effort continued. His "C" by the way, gone. Umberger, Prospal and Dorsett would get an "A" and I'm telling Wisniewski to get loud in the room and on the bench. Without the pressure of living up to a letter on his chest, maybe Nash can focus on playing the game the way he shows glimpses of.

As far as goaltending, I'll stick with whichever goalie is hot. If you win then you go again, plain and simple. Once Dekanich is healthy I'm giving him a full shot to take over as my starter. 5-7 game stretches at a time, and keeping whichever goalie has played the best for me up until Dex's return. I realize he's not a proven goaltender yet but as a fanbase we all know that we need a change. Dekanich has shown desire and passion to get healthy and into the net, as has Sanford by toughing out the last couple years in the minors and retooling his approach, while Mason just looks lackadaisical about everything on and off the ice.

My practices would be intense, there is nothing more true to fact than "you play the way you practice". Practices won't be cancelled, my team isn't taking a game night off like Arniel lets them, so they most certainly won't be taking days off while we're preparing. I'm also hiring a damn good video guy. I want my team to know everything that the other team is going to throw at them, whether there is 59 minutes left or 15 seconds. A lot of this process involves me as well, learning everything about my team and my opponent and making every necessary adjustment. Watch the first HBO 24/7, Bylsma is constantly preparing his players with upcoming strategy. I would hold more team meetings. As much as I don't want to overwhelm my players, I'm going to make sure they earn every dollar of that fat pay check they're raking in.

I don't want to be the coach blaming plays on my players or the referees, I want to be active on the bench letting the next line know what they're doing and what the last line did right or wrong on their previous shift. No more aimlessly staring out at the ice, only showing some fire once the game is as good as lost. We don't need that in our organization anymore.

BR217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
blahblah

You shake up those lines enough that Carter is now on the 4th line or in the press box?

Honestly, I wouldn't put -9 in the last nine games Prospal on the top line and I wouldn't give him an A because I would be anticipating his life in another teams sweater.

Sammy Pahlsson? He's been a waste of around 8 million. Thank you to the CBJ employee that pushed for him over Manny. You know who you are. Jerk.

Old
12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
You shake up those lines enough that Carter is now on the 4th line or in the press box?

Honestly, I wouldn't put -9 in the last nine games Prospal on the top line and I wouldn't give him an A because I would be anticipating his life in another teams sweater.

Sammy Pahlsson? He's been a waste of around 8 million. Thank you to the CBJ employee that pushed for him over Manny. You know who you are. Jerk.
He's got Carter on the top line with Vermette and Johansen. I know Wooten disagrees, but I absolutely agree that Pahlsson has been an utter disappointment.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote