HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cunneyworth's plans for the habs

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
He did it to Seguin last year. He was terrible. Then he let the leash go and Seguin is doing what he's doing right now.
He did it to Seguin this year too, despite his great year. He scratched him for missing a meeting or being late for it, something like that.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:13 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I like Eller, don't get me wrong. All I'm saying is that the premise of the article is false.
The premise of the article is the new coach has plans. The lead of the article says Eller smiled when asked about his icetime.

Quote:
The extra 2 seconds made him smile in jubilation? After blowing a 3rd period lead again and being on the ice for 3 goals? I sure hope he wasn't grinning after that.
The article reads "No, Eller was not pleased that his Canadiens blew yet another lead at home in Saturday night's 5-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils." That seems clear.

Quote:
And I suspect that given the "quality" of the report he may have grinned and the person who wrote this assumed a bunch of things without looking them up.
He's a fairly respected writer commenting on the new coach's plans, uses a youngster's grin in the lead. Simply, the article is about a young player and a new coach and new plans. It isn't really about the old coach, except in the sense that the new coach has new plans: giving kids a chance, emphasizing roles and chemistry, and shunning negative reinforcement. These seem pretty good goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I was more referring to this passage: "Forward lines would change mid-game on a regular basis". Martin would make these in-game adjustments, and really, he won a few games because of them.
Hard to establish causality he may have won a few and lost a few as well. Many were critical of his breaking up lines.

Quote:
I like Arpon. One of the most reasonable media folks there are. I think his contrasting of Cunneyworth with Martin is a bit off, however, I think he may be dramatizing for effect.

And while a piece like this has to be written positively, one could easily rephrase it it as "devaluing experience, emphasizing rigid roles, and deemphasizing accountability". It's all a balancing act. I hope Randy finds the right balance.

Or "devaluing entitlement, emphasizing chemistry, and deemphasizing punishment". Depends how you look at it. I don't buy the "accountability" argument the responsibility seemed weighted toward punishment, of rookies, for rookie mistakes -- which IMHO set players up for fear-of-failure mindsets. Now at least one rookie is smiling that's good enough for me.

Agree he's dramatizing but you know, this is the biggest story in Montreal this week! lol

Go Habs Go !!!

Old
12-19-2011, 12:16 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

I was very happy to see Eller and Leblanc get more icetime but very perplexed to see Darche get so much icetime. I'm not sure if Cunneyworth "gets it" yet. I'll withhold judgment for a few games.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:21 AM
Jigger77

double post

Old
12-19-2011, 12:22 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Let me guess.

If I asked you to defend the record of Gauthier as a GM, one of the first things you would say is that he brought in Eller.

Right?

Yet you kick him to the curb with the 3 goals comment.

Who cares if he was on the ice for 3 goals. He is still young. Martin would have benched him and he would forever be a tentative player.

Cunneyworth is showing that he understands that the way players learn and develop is to play through adversity.
He was on the ice for 3 goals. That's a fact.

If he was happy and giggly after that AND blowing another lead (which I highly doubt) then he's got some serious problems and Cunneyworth is going to lose his room in a hurry.

This sums up his article "Hey, the Montreal Canadiens fired their coach and blew another lead but it's ok! Lars Eller was happy!"

Only problem is he had the exact same icetime or a bit less the last 5 games so the entire argument is asinine. Plus I seriously doubt Eller was happy or smiling.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Montreal went short-handed five times.

Darche played just over five minutes on the penalty kill.

Darche played no minutes on the powerplay.

Should he be playing a little less? Sure. It has improved though.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
12-19-2011, 12:28 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
I was very happy to see Eller and Leblanc get more icetime but very perplexed to see Darche get so much icetime. I'm not sure if Cunneyworth "gets it" yet. I'll withhold judgment for a few games.
It really is very simple. Eller and Darche are linemates. If Eller gets lots of icetime, then Darche will automatically get lots of icetime. It's the same when Martin or Cunneyworth is the coach.

The fracas over Darche's icetime was ridiculous. It stunk of another reason to take a dig at Martin, and the fact that Cunneyworth was not panned for the exact same thing tends to confirm that.

It all happens because the media almost universally refuse to even mention the Habs' injury situation. That situation has made Darche the #9 forward, and that's counting Leblanc ahead of him. Like it or not, that will net him significant icetime.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:30 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Montreal went short-handed five times.

Darche played just over five minutes on the penalty kill.

Darche played no minutes on the powerplay.
That's also a very accurate description of the last game Martin coached, give or take one PK.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
It really is very simple. Eller and Darche are linemates. If Eller gets lots of icetime, then Darche will automatically get lots of icetime. It's the same when Martin or Cunneyworth is the coach.

The fracas over Darche's icetime was ridiculous. It stunk of another reason to take a dig at Martin, and the fact that Cunneyworth was not panned for the exact same thing tends to confirm that.

It all happens because the media almost universally refuse to even mention the Habs' injury situation. That situation has made Darche the #9 forward, and that's counting Leblanc ahead of him. Like it or not, that will net him significant icetime.
Nobody complained about Darche's icetime under Martin except for people in this forum. Why? Because in reality he got very little icetime. It's just a myth people pulled out of their *****. It's really that simple. And even if it were true who the hell cares. It's scrutinizing and knit-picking for the sake of it.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
FeelsLike93

Darches ice time was high because Gionta and Moen are still out itll decrease soon enough. I like Cunneyworth and think he'll improve the team and maximize the teams strengths which Martin couldnt do

Old
12-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Serious HABit

theres something I like about this mister cunning. I think he'll be good.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:38 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Nobody complained about Darche's icetime under Martin except for people in this forum.
Well, there was a small Twitterstorm after the Philly game because Darche had more ES icetime than a bunch of important forwards. I think it was started by Godin (who didn't really comment on it, just made note).

Needless to say, the same thing happening under Cunneyworth did not garner the same amount of attention.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Darches ice time was high because Gionta and Moen are still out itll decrease soon enough. I like Cunneyworth and think he'll improve the team and maximize the teams strengths which Martin couldnt do
What strengths do you speak of exactly? I thought we had the best PK in the league and amongst the top teams in 5 on 5 play under Martin.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Well, there was a small Twitterstorm after the Philly game because Darche had more ES icetime than a bunch of important forwards. I think it was started by Godin (who didn't really comment on it, just made note).

Needless to say, the same thing happening under Cunneyworth did not garner the same amount of attention.
No because Cunneyworth doubled his icetime because of injuries to Moen and Gio but when JM played Darche for half the time with the same guys injured he had a love affair with him.

Anyway, this is getting retarded. I'm hitting the hay. Good luck fighting the good fight Mathman.

Old
12-19-2011, 12:58 AM
FeelsLike93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
What strengths do you speak of exactly? I thought we had the best PK in the league and amongst the top teams in 5 on 5 play under Martin.
Playing to their strengths meaning maximizing there potential and getting the most out of his players (like he said in the press conference). Under Martin we sat back a lot and it stifled our offensive players. I think Cunneyworth will bring out the very best in our offensive players i.e Cammy Subban and see Eller progress a lot better too. Just my 2 cents

Old
12-19-2011, 01:42 AM
JohnLennon

I am not a big fan of playing Eller more often. The guy looks very rusty in the defensive zone lately. Hopefully it gives him more confidence on offense, though.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:45 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Let me guess.

If I asked you to defend the record of Gauthier as a GM, one of the first things you would say is that he brought in Eller.

Right?

Yet you kick him to the curb with the 3 goals comment.

Who cares if he was on the ice for 3 goals. He is still young. Martin would have benched him and he would forever be a tentative player.

Cunneyworth is showing that he understands that the way players learn and develop is to play through adversity.
BINGO!

He wouldn't have been on the ice for 3 goals.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:46 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I am not a big fan of playing Eller more often. The guy looks very rusty in the defensive zone lately. Hopefully it gives him more confidence on offense, though.
Cut/paste whole roster here.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:53 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
He's probably our second best defensive forward after Pleks.

Old
12-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
He's probably our second best defensive forward after Pleks.
That's just the mancrush/bromance in you talking

Old
12-19-2011, 02:03 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Circular argument. Do I think he's awesome because I have a mancrush or do I have a mancrush because he's awesome?

Boucher Stat's back me up on this. Eller is 22 and a stud defensively.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Circular argument. Do I think he's awesome because I have a mancrush or do I have a mancrush because he's awesome?

Boucher Stat's back me up on this. Eller is 22 and a stud defensively.
I was going to bring up the Hygrade slogan... but I'm afraid to add frankfurters into the equation

Old
12-19-2011, 02:18 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
although i'd like to rephrase the "second best forward defensively after pleks" to "second best center defensively after pleks", then sign me up for the man crush too.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:32 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
although i'd like to rephrase the "second best forward defensively after pleks" to "second best center defensively after pleks", then sign me up for the man crush too.
Well on offense, who is better defensively? Perhaps moen, which is why I only wrote 'probably', but I find that Moen often has trouble getting the puck out of the zone when we're under pressure. Noke? He's great on faceoffs and solid defensively, but I still think Eller is better.

Who isn't better than Eller defensively? Gomez, Darche, Kostitsyn, Cammy, Gionta, Cole, Patches, Desharnais. In my opinion, of course.

I think he'll be more valuable defensively as he continues to up his faceoff %. He's already improved it by 5% since last year. Now he's only 2% behind pleks.

Old
12-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Bloumeister
Blou Christmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
Quote:
Well on offense, who is better defensively? Perhaps moen, which is why I only wrote 'probably', but I find that Moen often has trouble getting the puck out of the zone when we're under pressure. Noke? He's great on faceoffs and solid defensively, but I still think Eller is better.

Who isn't better than Eller defensively? Gomez, Darche, Kostitsyn, Cammy, Gionta, Cole, Patches, Desharnais. In my opinion, of course.

I think he'll be more valuable defensively as he continues to up his faceoff %. He's already improved it by 5% since last year. Now he's only 2% behind pleks.
Valid argument. I'll admit he's good... but there has to be something else that explains the mancrush.

It's the hair, right?

Or is it the eyes?

Buns?

Closed Thread