Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

True North still needs to do better for game day entertainment

Old
12-19-2011, 04:33 PM
ProdigalJet

vCash: 500
My only complaint? Get rid of Dave Wheeler! Seriously ...

That said, I read the first page and stopped ... I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought season tickets to watch NHL hockey, not worry about pre/post/intermission entertainment.

If you want to see fancy lights, music, and dancing ... Circque du Soleil is coming through town, buy some tickets.

If the 'entertainment' is so bad, I know there is a list of at least 8,000 people that would like to take your place inside MTSC.....

ProdigalJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:38 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
Wheels isn't THAT bad. He had a great comment during the three car race video. "There's the first tunnel that everyone uses". "There's the second tunnel that everyone uses".

For those of you not from Winnipeg, we don't have any tunnels.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

I have enjoyed the game-day experience at MTS Centre, and have been to 10 games so far.

My only complaint/suggestion:

MTS Security staff need to take crowd-control and public relations/sensitivity training.

Although most staff are nice (such as the gate greeters), the red-shirt security has at time been almost as if it belongs in an authoritarian state. Many people in sections/seats around me have been warned or even physically held for truly doing nothing.

There are ways to properly approach people, and they need to do it professionally.

Just a few examples during some games:
- one man was just standing chanting "Jets!" etc...into a play and cheering loud. Security came and told him if he didn't stop he'd be thrown out...and not nicely, they yelled at him to get the 'hell' down and be quiet. He wasn't swearing at all, just getting the crowd going.
- they physically grabbed and pushed a younger teen (I'd say about 15, male) who wanted to go from the 200-level to the ice area during warmup. wasn't doing anything else, they could have told him simply "no".
- security came charging into an adjacent section looking for someone (during a play). 4 red/blue-shirt MTS security staff, all middle-aged men with ear comms pieces. turns out they were looking for a 'under-age drinker' who bought a beer illegally. they physically pulled him out of his seat (during a play) turns out the guy was 28 or something and didn't do anything wrong.

and one more suggestion -

- someone please tell those kids wearing neon green selling popcorn and soda that they should NOT walk down the aisles during a play. thats just poor form. but yes, i do want their popcorn...just not during a play.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:45 PM
Samcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by debar1982 View Post
Wow, people really throwing the Moose under the bus, without them and TN buying them and building them we would not have a team here. TN was very attached to that brand so cut them some slack when they want to keep the banners up
I will never forget or disrespect the Moose. Being born in 1985, I didn't have the Jets very long so the Moose were a great source of hockey excitement for me growing up!

I think this still stands as one of my top 3 hockey moments of all time. I was sitting in the section exactly in line with Jaffray when he took that clapper and watched it all the way to the back of the net. I remember the guys sitting in front and behind my group jumping on top of our huge pileup, about 12 guys deep. I don't think I've ever been more hoarse after a game.

"Two minutes to go in the game, Krog...to Jaffray... shoots HE SCORES! HE SCORES! JASON JAFFRAY! HIS SECOND OF THE NIGHT AND IT'S TWO ONE MANITOBA!!!"

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

we've been laughing at that all season.

i take those tunnels everyday (one downtown and one to the perimeter)....don't you?

the off-ramp is....ah....you have to use your Stone-cutters button for that.

hahahaaaa

http://youtu.be/qEgNO0Ayz3E

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Wheels isn't THAT bad. He had a great comment during the three car race video. "There's the first tunnel that everyone uses". "There's the second tunnel that everyone uses".

Old
12-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Pokeys

Really my only true complaint is the lack of selection and variety of food choices in the concession stands. If I come to the game on an empty stomach then I'm basically screwed. The Burgers at the Arena are terribleee and the options are limited Hot Dogs, Burgers, Pizza, Pretzels, Popcorn, Nachos, Cotton Candy, Tim Hortons Stuff and Peanuts I think I just listed the whole menu. Just take all the concessions from the Goldeyes ball park and throw them into the arena and I'll be a happy customer.

Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 04:56 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
Among the bush league AHL players I had the opportunity to witness as a true hockey fan were Jason Spezza, Anton Volchenkov, Ray Emery, Jakub Voracek, Derek Brassard, Ryan Kesler, Alexander Burrows, Kevin Bieksa, Tanner Glass, Alex Edler, Jannik Hansen, Rick Rypien (RIP), Carey Price, PK Subban, Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostistyn (close enough to yell Go Andrei, with a nod, and he did, he scored on the same shift), Mikael Grabvoski, Corey Schneider, and Anti Miettenen...As someone who is neither a lawyer, a dentist, or the Fortunate Son of rich parents, AHL hockey was a chance for me to watch my favourite sport up close and personal, closer than the upper deck seats that I used to buy to watch the old Jets...Everybody has jumped on the Jets bandwagon, whether they are hockey fans or not...Perhaps this is why we talk about the entertainment, and not the hockey...For me the hockey is entertaining enough, especially given the young talent we have been bestowed. The AHL is the roots of hockey, one level higher than Juniors, which is the origins of the original Jets, for those who have forgotten their history.

We owe an enormous amount of gratitude to Mark Chipman for keeping the dream alive, of once again being an elite hockey city...The Moose was an integral part of that foundation, as the principal tenant of TNSE/the MTS Centre. The only drawback I can attest to AHL hockey is that the travel burdens sometimes sapped the games of energy, but that is not the fault of the Moose, rather that of Dave Andrews.

We lost our NHL team in 1996, now we have a new one. Let's celebrate the blessing we have over the holidays, instead of complaining about trifles. Seriously.
bah.....still bush.

i personally have nothing but gratitude to thomson and chipman....i just disagree with their apparent interpretation of profesisonal hockey's lineage in winnipeg....im sure one day they will embrace our city's rich history, but for now i am very capable of 'celebrating the blessing' that i pay thousands of dollars for while at the same time lamenting this specific part of their operation.

in my opinion, their devotion to the moose and complete disregard for everything before that diminishes the brand....i am in love with this team, but i also believe that embracing and celebrating the original jets would increase the depth and richness of the franchise and its emotional connection to the hockey community in winnipeg and in canada.

history makes the habs, leafs, bruins, flyers greater than they are...thier story brings a richness to their franchises and their brand.....we have that same richness lying dormant....the first team to beat the red army, the first to play in the izvestia tournament, the first million dollar contract, the team that opened the NHL to europe, the longest winless streak in sports.....the winnipeg jets are engrained in the history of hockey on this continent...it seems a shame to not connect to that and instead celebrate that the moose won the IHL western conference on the banners in the arena.

Last edited by peter sullivan: 12-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.
peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues10 View Post
x100 it would be better to have nothing between whistles, if that was possible.

Those silly games during TV timeouts are momentum killers for the crowd.

Perhaps if we just started booing for the entire kiss cam, shell game etc... the Jets would get rid of it.
They're here to stay, they generate revenue from the sponsors.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post
Really my only true complaint is the lack of selection and variety of food choices in the concession stands. If I come to the game on an empty stomach then I'm basically screwed. The Burgers at the Arena are terribleee and the options are limited Hot Dogs, Burgers, Pizza, Pretzels, Popcorn, Nachos, Cotton Candy, Tim Hortons Stuff and Peanuts I think I just listed the whole menu. Just take all the concessions from the Goldeyes ball park and throw them into the arena and I'll be a happy customer.
I'm a big fan of the perogies outside of section 327

Old
12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
bah.....still bush.

i personally have nothing but gratitude to thomson and chipman....i just disagree with their apparent interpretation of profesisonal hockey's lineage in winnipeg....im sure one day they will embrace our city's rich history, but for now i am very capable of 'celebrating the blessing' that i pay thousands of dollars for while at the same time lamenting this specific part of their operation.

in my opinion, their devotion to the moose and complete disregard for everything before that diminishes the brand....i am in love with this team, but i also believe that embracing and celebrating the original jets would increase the depth and richness of the franchise and its emotional connection to the hockey community in winnipeg and in canada.

history makes the habs, leafs, bruins, flyers greater than they are...thier story brings a richness to their franchises and their brand.....we have that same richness lying dormant....the first team to beat the red army, the first to play in the izvestia tournament, the first million dollar contract, the team that opened the NHL to europe, the longest winless streak in sports.....the winnipeg jets are engrained in the history of hockey on this continent...it seems a shame to not connect to that and instead celebrate that the moose won the IHL western conference on the banners in the arena.
Excellent post.

Bravo.

Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

in BOLD...yes, TNSE needs to connect with that proud history and spread the news far and wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter sullivan View Post
bah.....still bush.

Old
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

The bathroom issue definitely needs to be resolved. Not entertainment but still. I don't know if it is as much of a problem on the lower level or not. It can be nuts upstairs. Huge lineups start even a minute before intermission.

Security has been great in our section (304). We had a drunk throw a cup that still had beer in it to the section below. He was removed pretty quick. She's a shorter lady maybe 60 years old but she doesn't take any ****. One time a big fat guy went up during play, she yelled at him to stop. He kept going. She just stood there staring at him waiting for a break. When the break happened oh boy did she lay down the law. It was great!

Other than those two instances there hasn't been anything crazy. Haven't seen any overzealous security guards. I think texting them brings the hammer pretty hard. Maybe just talking to the ramp usher is a better idea.

allan5oh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

What is driving things (PROFIT) is obviously the name and the emotion and history attached to it.

Why TNSE try to keep that history locked up (at least now anyway) is strange.

History gives the current players a greater sense of being as well.

Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Pokeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I'm a big fan of the perogies outside of section 327
Damn, I must've missed those. I've only been to 1 game so far, and was in 318 HOW'D I MISS THE PEROGIES! lol. More different foods like that and just better selection is all I ask. I'm not fat by any means I just like eating good tasty food while enjoying HOCKEY and BEERS. Personally speaking, I have a problem with paying 7-8 bucks for dry luke warm double cheeseburgers.

Bathroom line was crazy long, but actually moved fast. But still a washroom break and hitting up one concession stand will take you the whole intermission. Which is pretty lame.

Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

He is what it comes down to.....

IT'S NOT TNSE'S HISTORY!!!

That is in Phoenix, doesn't matter how much you hate the idea, this franchise has no history prior to 1999 when it was created in Atlanta. TNSE's history goes back to the Minnesota Moose, there is NO CONNECTION to the Jets 1.0 or 1.1. They may eventually have a third sweater reminiscent of the WHA Jets, but the NHL Jets will be off limits for the time being (the NHL refuses to acknowledge the old team existed in the WHA prior to 1979, so that history is more in limbo rather than in Phoenix).

Old
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Hank Chinaski

1. Food selection is lame, but whatever. I spend enough money on STs, and usually crush 2 jumbo drafts/game. I'm not wasting more money on food.

2. Okay, I did "waste" money on food once. On those perogies, and man are they good.

3. My secret for avoiding washroom lines? Get the hell out of MTSC and go to CityPlace. I duck out for a smoke and make my way to the bathroom there, and still get back to the concourse with 7-9 minutes to spare.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:

My only problem with him is that he was very "anti-Winnipeg getting a team back" and made fun of everyone that believed it could happen. And as soon as it did happen, he flip flopped and now he looooooves the Jets.

12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
The bathroom issue definitely needs to be resolved. Not entertainment but still. I don't know if it is as much of a problem on the lower level or not. It can be nuts upstairs. Huge lineups start even a minute before intermission.

Security has been great in our section (304). We had a drunk throw a cup that still had beer in it to the section below. He was removed pretty quick. She's a shorter lady maybe 60 years old but she doesn't take any ****. One time a big fat guy went up during play, she yelled at him to stop. He kept going. She just stood there staring at him waiting for a break. When the break happened oh boy did she lay down the law. It was great!

Other than those two instances there hasn't been anything crazy. Haven't seen any overzealous security guards. I think texting them brings the hammer pretty hard. Maybe just talking to the ramp usher is a better idea.
I don't run into bathroom issues, it's all about timing.

Old
12-19-2011, 06:40 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

Just my opinion, but I think the difference between bush league and major league is the absence of shooting hot dogs and tie shirts out of cannons.

Thank goodness those days are gone.

One of things that we in Winnipeg are getting credit for is being really into the games and being really connected. Last thing I need while I'm trying to watch the Jets win another game is some stupid fan jumping all around me trying to catch some flying projectile flying by my face.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:45 PM
debar1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
He is what it comes down to.....

IT'S NOT TNSE'S HISTORY!!!

That is in Phoenix, doesn't matter how much you hate the idea, this franchise has no history prior to 1999 when it was created in Atlanta. TNSE's history goes back to the Minnesota Moose, there is NO CONNECTION to the Jets 1.0 or 1.1. They may eventually have a third sweater reminiscent of the WHA Jets, but the NHL Jets will be off limits for the time being (the NHL refuses to acknowledge the old team existed in the WHA prior to 1979, so that history is more in limbo rather than in Phoenix).

TN did not buy this team from Shenkarow, its a new team and I agree with the post above 100%. This is not 1997 with the same jets.

I personally think they have gone above and beyond recognizing Winnipegs old hockey team (jets 1.0) but they have said all along that this is there baby and will try to start fresh.

The greatest fan experience bar none at each game is when o canada is sung and the when the Jets score. Everything else is secondary.

Bush league.... give it a rest. Its TN trying to put there own stamp on it and i'm with them every step of the way.

debar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Jaffray15

Send a message via AIM to Jaffray15 Send a message via MSN to Jaffray15
People complaining about the AHL and the Moose banners, need to realize without the last 15 years in the minors there wouldnt be Jets 2.0.

Jaffray15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
BigBuffJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeys View Post

this is my only real complaint as well. pizza pizza is friggen horrendous....but they are paying big bucks to be there so i get that we have no choice. i heard the selections of food are better on the main level. i dont know tho.

BigBuffJets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:53 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Can we PLEASE not get into a discussion about what history belongs to who etc
We've had the same argument ten times, and people who think we should honour Jets 1.0 aren't gonna agree with people who say they shouldn't it's an endless discussion that always devolves into a pointless argument.

EDIT (Just so I don't double post): I'm on the main concourse, I'm not sure if the selection is different but I don't mind the food. The selection isn't great but it's standard hockey food. Jumbo Jet dog is great, and the chicken fingers are surprisingly good.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:54 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
One of things that we in Winnipeg are getting credit for is being really into the games and being really connected. Last thing I need while I'm trying to watch the Jets win another game is some stupid fan jumping all around me trying to catch some flying projectile flying by my face.
Because they shoot t-shirts during play? It's during intermission, where many people usually have nothing to do.

atl thrasher344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:55 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicted Habs fan View Post
They're probably waiting for the Coyotes to fold, then when the team relocates to Quebec, the Nordiques will hand over to Winnipeg all the past honours and promotion rights that are presently held in pheonix.
Thanks Nords fan in advance. Really appreciate your co-operation.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote