HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Salary cap issues

Old
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Calin

vCash: 500
2012-2013 Salary cap issues

This is most certainly not the most immediate problem, as we have more than half a season in front of us. But looking at the current state of players' contracts it is pretty clear that some major changes have to take place at the trade deadline or this summer.

Right now we have about 400,000$ in cap space. However, some of our more important players' contracts are in their last year. I am speaking about Grabovsky, Kulemin, Franson, Aulie, Liles and Gustavsson. Crabb, Rosehil and Dupuis are in also in their last year.

While Liles might accept a lower salary if he choses to resign, the other 4 will be looking for significant raises. Grabovsky currently makes 2.9 mil, he might get something around 4 mil. Kulemin gets 2.35 mil, but his raise will depend on whether or not he picks up his game. While Aulie and Franson, who get about 800,000 each, will probably get somewhere around 2 mil. Of course, this is all speculation on my part. However, it looks like we have to free up at least 4 million, assuming that we will sign plugs like Crabb and Rosehill for the same money.

So, some move is bound to take place. I am sure that most of you will suggest trading Komi and his 4.5 million cap hit, considering our defensive depth. But we all should know by now, that Burke's moves are everything but predictable.

Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:32 AM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post
This is most certainly not the most immediate problem, as we have more than half a season in front of us. But looking at the current state of players' contracts it is pretty clear that some major changes have to take place at the trade deadline or this summer.

Right now we have about 400,000$ in cap space. However, some of our more important players' contracts are in their last year. I am speaking about Grabovsky, Kulemin, Franson, Aulie, Liles and Gustavsson. Crabb, Rosehil and Dupuis are in also in their last year.

While Liles might accept a lower salary if he choses to resign, the other 4 will be looking for significant raises. Grabovsky currently makes 2.9 mil, he might get something around 4 mil. Kulemin gets 2.35 mil, but his raise will depend on whether or not he picks up his game. While Aulie and Franson, who get about 800,000 each, will probably get somewhere around 2 mil. Of course, this is all speculation on my part. However, it looks like we have to free up at least 4 million, assuming that we will sign plugs like Crabb and Rosehill for the same money.

So, some move is bound to take place. I am sure that most of you will suggest trading Komi and his 4.5 million cap hit, considering our defensive depth. But we all should know by now, that Burke's moves are everything but predictable.

You said important players and you have Dupuis in that list

But you make some very startle points. Having cap space is an asset these days and I think we threw some of that away with some really bad contracts.

Armstrong, is a very bad contract
Lombardi, makes me sick
Connelly isn't a 4.5 players

That's 12 mil right there. for a total of 23 points this year. Albeit Lombardi is injured

Grabo most likely will be traded. I don't see him continuing with the Leafs.
Liles, most likely traded at the deadline. Hello Boston

We really need to shed down some salary.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calin View Post

Were do you get $400,000 in cap space?

Barilko14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:48 AM
Calin

No, I mentioned Dupuis, Rosehill and Crabb as plugs that are also in their last year.

Lombardi, a terrible contract, that we took knowingly. However most thought he would be on the LTIR and he wouldn't count.

Armstrong, i really like him, but we over-payed.

And as for Connolly, I don't think we were the only team interested in him and had to give him extra money for signing a short-term contract.

400,000$ on Capgeek.com

Last edited by Calin: 12-19-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Calin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
You said important players and you have Dupuis in that list

But you make some very startle points. Having cap space is an asset these days and I think we threw some of that away with some really bad contracts.

Armstrong, is a very bad contract
Lombardi, makes me sick
Connelly isn't a 4.5 players

That's 12 mil right there. for a total of 23 points this year. Albeit Lombardi is injured

Grabo most likely will be traded. I don't see him continuing with the Leafs.
Liles, most likely traded at the deadline. Hello Boston

We really need to shed down some salary.
Looking at their overall points this year is definitely the only factor that should be considered when assessing these players. Well done!

Old
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
SprDaVE

That's the least of our problems.

Other than Parise, who's not likely to reach UFA status anyway, there isn't much on the market that will require any sort of big time cap space if we are going to sign someone.

One big contract might have to be gone, but we should be fine going forward. I doubt Burke will be hampered by his cap sapce.

SprDaVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:55 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

$414 000 in cap space has 26 players on the roster so includes everyone on IR and the call ups who filled in for them. Not a significant change, but still a million or 2 to consider.

I also think it is fair to expect an ELC or 2 to be added to the current line-up with a cap savings for the guy moved out. I personally don't have any real issue with our current cap issue going into next summer. With lots of expiring contracts the following year, it will be quite easy for Burke to create cap spcace if needed.

I also don't imagine any of Grabs, Kulemin, Liles, Aulie, or Franson getting significant raises at current pace. If they pick it up (specifically Kulemin and Grabo) they'll get more and it will be deserved, and, hopefully it will have lead to some success for the team.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:57 AM
threeGo

If we survive the cap problems this offseason then the 2013-2014 year is going to be a dandy. Barely anyone signed past that year. Armstrong, lombardi and Connolly contracts are expired. Also finger is expiring at the end of this year so now we can throw komisarek in his place. I actually see us having no problems at all with cap space if burke chooses to dump komisarek in the AHL or trades him.

threeGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Barilko14

The approx. $400K cap space we have this year, has zero effect on our cap situation next year.

What is going to lead to a bit of turnover is that fact that we already have 10 NHL forwards signed for next season. On top of those 10 we have to resign UFA Grabovksi (who could walk), RFAs Kulemin, and Frattin, and also probably make room for Kadri and Colborne. Cap space isn't the problem, where everyone is going to fit is the issue.

Also in regards to defence and goaltending a decision will have to made at some point whether Liles & Gusty are going to be kept past this season or not.

Forward situation next year
Lupul - Connolly - Kessel (all under contract for next year)
McArthur (signed) - Grabo (UFA) - Kulemin (RFA)
Frattin (RFA) - Bozak (signed) - Armstrong (signed)
Kadri, Colborne, Lombardi (all signed)

Steckel, Brown, and Orr (Orr can be dumped) all signed as well.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:10 AM
Stephen

Burke's method of building with more mature pieces and slight over payment as opposed to going full draft has always had a time bomb element to it. For every Francois Beauchemin UFA signing that was converted into a Jake Gardiner, and for every costly financial gamble like Joffrey Lupul or Dion Phaneuf that worked out, you'll have a contract like Giguere, Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi clogging up the system. The Leafs might have to do some cap detox in the next little while and also make some tough decisions on guys like Grabovski.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:12 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Burke's method of building with more mature pieces and slight over payment as opposed to going full draft has always had a time bomb element to it. For every Francois Beauchemin UFA signing that was converted into a Jake Gardiner, and for every costly financial gamble like Joffrey Lupul or Dion Phaneuf that worked out, you'll have a contract like Giguere, Komisarek, Armstrong, Lombardi clogging up the system. The Leafs might have to do some cap detox in the next little while and also make some tough decisions on guys like Grabovski.
Burke hasn't been afraid to replace guys like Beauchemin for Aulie, and save some cap space at the same time.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Avec Fromage*

Estimated re-signing (whether deserved or not) costs:
4.400 Liles +(0.2)
4.000 Grabovski (+1.1)
3.750 Kulemin (+1.4)
1.650 Gustavsson (+0.3)
1.300 Franson (+0.5)
1.300 Frattin (no change)
0.850 Crabb (+0.1)
Dupuis, Rosehill let go.

A 23-man roster - that makes it 9.778 over the cap (assuming a 1.5 increase in the ceiling). I'm guessing that 1-2 of Grabovski/Liles/Komisarek will be gone by the deadline/next season solely for cap management purposes. Though I'd rather have Armstrong and Lombardi moved to be honest. Komisarek's movement will be dependent on whether any team will budge on picking him up. Grabovski's movement will depend on Colborne's ability to play with the big club. And Liles' movement will be dependent on his asking price, as, in my opinion, the Leafs can't afford to lose him.

Burke will definitely be making some sort of move - because he really has no other choice. I do believe that Kadri will be up with the Leafs next season so that's 1.720 added to the top. And that will mean someone will have to move to make room for him.

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Not much use harping on it now though, the decision of re-tool vs. full rebuild was made with the Kessel trade and subsequent signings of Komi and Beauchemin who at the time were proven vets who were young enough to ride out the re-tool.

No, it's not a full out rebuild, but you make it sound like we're the Leafs pre lockout, the Leafs are still 2nd youngest team in the league.

Old
12-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
4.400 Liles +(0.2)
4.000 Grabovski (+1.1)
3.750 Kulemin (+1.4)
1.650 Gustavsson (+0.3)
1.300 Franson (+0.5)
0.850 Crabb (+0.1)
Dupuis, Rosehill let go.

A 23-man roster - that makes it 9.778 over the cap (assuming a 1.5 increase in the ceiling). I'm guessing that 1-2 of Grabovski/Liles/Komisarek will be gone by the deadline/next season solely for cap management purposes. Though I'd rather have Armstrong and Lombardi moved to be honest. Komisarek's movement will be dependent on whether any team will budge on picking him up. Grabovski's movement will depend on Colborne's ability to play with the big club. And Liles' movement will be dependent on his asking price, as, in my opinion, the Leafs can't afford to lose him.

Burke will definitely be making some sort of move - because he really has no other choice. I do believe that Kadri will be up with the Leafs next season so that's 1.720 added to the top. And that will mean someone will have to move to make room for him.
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Joffrey Lupul ($4.250m) / Tim Connolly ($4.750m) / Phil Kessel ($5.400m)
Clarke MacArthur ($3.250m) / Mikhail Grabovski ($4.000m) / Nikolai Kulemin ($3.750m)
Matthew Lombardi ($3.500m) / Tyler Bozak ($1.500m) / Colby Armstrong ($3.000m)
Joey Crabb ($0.850m) / David Steckel ($1.100m) / Matt Frattin ($1.300m)
Mike Brown ($0.736m) / / Colton Orr ($1.000m)

DEFENSEMEN
Carl Gunnarsson ($1.325m) / Dion Phaneuf ($6.500m)
Jake Gardiner ($1.116m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
John-Michael Liles ($4.400m) / Mike Komisarek ($4.500m)
/ Cody Franson ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
James Reimer ($1.800m) / Jonas Gustavsson ($1.650m)

BUYOUTS: Darcy Tucker ($1.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,578,334; BONUSES: $212,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): -$1,278,334

Where do you get 9.778 over?

Old
12-19-2011, 10:38 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
4.400 Liles +(0.2)
4.000 Grabovski (+1.1)
3.750 Kulemin (+1.4)
1.650 Gustavsson (+0.3)
1.300 Franson (+0.5)
0.850 Crabb (+0.1)
Dupuis, Rosehill let go.

How does you're $3.6 million increase for those players create a $9.78 over the cap, while reducing the roster by 3 players and increasing the cap?

Last edited by smoke meat pete*: 12-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old
12-19-2011, 10:44 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Cap Moves I think could happen in order or probability:

Note: These are assuming Burke is looking for cap space in order to make a deal, not required moves to sign our own FA's.

Kadri will replace MacA savings $1.5 million
Komosarek moved for a pick: savings $4 000 000
Liles not re-signed: Savings $4 000 000
Lombardi moved for almost nothing.
Grabs traded, replaced with Colborne: Savings, $1.8 million ( the saving here is more on Grabs UFa salary and not current salary

Old
12-19-2011, 10:49 AM
Vexed

If we aren't up against the cap, we are doing it wrong. It is up to Burke to manage the cap moving forward but leaving millions empty is silly.

It is not nearly as hard to clear space as people seem to imply.

Vexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 50
Armstrong's contract is absolutely brutal, yet it is rarely talked about around here. I find that interesting.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Cap Moves I think could happen in order or probability:

Note: These are assuming Burke is looking for cap space in order to make a deal, not required moves to sign our own FA's.

Kadri will replace MacA savings $1.5 million
Komosarek moved for a pick: savings $4 000 000
Liles not re-signed: Savings $4 000 000
Lombardi moved for almost nothing.
Grabs traded, replaced with Colborne: Savings, $1.8 million ( the saving here is more on Grabs UFa salary and not current salary
These are the type of questions that have to be answered, not really "how will we be under the cap next year?".

Is Kadri, Colborne, Aulie ready to steal someone's job this season or next?

Old
12-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Barilko14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Armstrong's contract is absolutely brutal, yet it is rarely talked about around here. I find that interesting.
Wasn't signed to score goals is the main reason.

He was brought it to play 3rd line minutes, kill penalties, chip in the odd goal, be a physical presence, and provide some leadership to a yound forward group(he was the vet before guys like Connolly, Lombardi came on board).

Yes he's overpaid for what he does, but that was market price for him at the time, and we didn't have anyone like him in our system.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:18 AM
number72

Quote:
Burke hasn't been afraid to replace guys like Beauchemin for Aulie, and save some cap space at the same time.
Burke replaced Finger with Lebda.
Then replaced Lebda with Franson and Lombardi.

Finger contract expires in AHL.
THe leafs are still loaded with lombardi for one more year.
And nothing can cure me of the trauma of seeing lebda on the leafs for 1 year

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Nor has he been afraid to bury Jeff Finger... But at the same time, we'll have to see what he can do with Lombardi, Komisarek and Armstrong, since those contracts are like bowel obstructions.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barilko14 View Post
Wasn't signed to score goals is the main reason.

He was brought it to play 3rd line minutes, kill penalties, chip in the odd goal, be a physical presence, and provide some leadership to a yound forward group(he was the vet before guys like Connolly, Lombardi came on board).

Yes he's overpaid for what he does, but that was market price for him at the time, and we didn't have anyone like him in our system.
Colby Armstrong is a horrible contract that benefits from perception in two ways: 1) he's a likeable character 2) he plays a gritty underdog character role which Leaf fans traditionally tend to overvalue.

Basically, his injuries have rendered him completely useless. He's not paid to score goals but he doesn't seem to be paid to play hockey either these days.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Nor has he been afraid to bury Jeff Finger... But at the same time, we'll have to see what he can do with Lombardi, Komisarek and Armstrong, since those contracts are like bowel obstructions.
I worry more about a piece of cheese bunging me up, than I do how to get rid of those contracts, mostly, because I don't see it being hard to move Komo, and Lombo and Army are up after next year. You can always find a way to move a guy in the last year of his deal.

Old
12-19-2011, 11:47 AM
EazyB97

Nobody knows what the cap or new CBA will be right now, so you can't predict cap space. There is way too much that can change and way too many options for a financially sound team like the Leafs to be concerned with this right now.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote