HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Burke Should Get Fired If He Pushes For a Wilson Extension?

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You know if people would just accept the coach has some responsibility of getting the team into the playoffs and other results ...

RW certainly takes credit for his 600+ wins, so why do we continuously read "you can't blame Wilson with the players he's had"?

I can't forget RW's comment about "You people up there" talking about Canadians while he was coach of the Sharks. Sorry, to me that is his true opinion about his ex-Country.
You keep spouting this off and I don't know why, because that's just the way you twisted and turned your way through the argument at the time, and now you throw it into a thread at your pleasure. Most people don't even know where it's coming from.

Of course as someone who disregards a coaches role in player development, it's no big surprise you want to hold onto this "but RW didn't use Jeff Finger to get us to the playoffs".

Happy Festivus

Old
12-23-2011, 11:26 AM
achtungbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
You know if people would just accept the coach has some responsibility of getting the team into the playoffs and other results ...

RW certainly takes credit for his 600+ wins, so why do we continuously read "you can't blame Wilson with the players he's had"?

I can't forget RW's comment about "You people up there" talking about Canadians while he was coach of the Sharks. Sorry, to me that is his true opinion about his ex-Country.
Wilson also has 600+ career losses which no one seems to talk about. I agree with you, playoffs or he's gone. Burke's position would be next in line if he doesn't make the playoffs in year 5.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:36 AM
firstemperor

I refuse to think he is idiotic enough to not fire Ron barring some miracle mid-late season.

Old
12-24-2011, 11:04 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I see you are airing your grievances well, my friend.

Happy Festivus
Happy Festivus to you to Rehab!

Old
12-24-2011, 11:15 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
You keep spouting this off and I don't know why, because that's just the way you twisted and turned your way through the argument at the time, and now you throw it into a thread at your pleasure. Most people don't even know where it's coming from.

Of course as someone who disregards a coaches role in player development, it's no big surprise you want to hold onto this "but RW didn't use Jeff Finger to get us to the playoffs".

Happy Festivus
Because Wilson developing players is an 'opinion' but Wilson sucks is a 'fact' didn't you know that?

McLellan has been to the semis twice!! Sharks are way better now!! Wilson sucks! Leafs should have won three cups by now... Wilson sucks!!

Old
12-24-2011, 11:31 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Because Wilson developing players is an 'opinion' but Wilson sucks is a 'fact' didn't you know that?

McLellan has been to the semis twice!! Sharks are way better now!! Wilson sucks! Leafs should have won three cups by now... Wilson sucks!!
Do you also blame Wilson for the players that don't develop .

Old
12-24-2011, 11:32 AM
RogerRoeper*

If Burke gives Wilson an extension right now, he`ll be roasted for it and it will become a distraction.

He would have given Wilson an extension already last summer, if not for the big backlash that started.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:42 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post

The team's record is a fact.

Burke is ultimately responsible for acquiring the players, even if Nonis does the leg work.

Burke is ultimately responsible for the results of the team.

If he extends RW there should be a reason to do so. If he believes bringing in better players to help achieve better results makes the coaches job easier that is what he should do. Ron Wilson is not responsible for the talent on the team.

Players have to do it during games to get a better contract, same as Burke has to achieve to get extended. Burke will only extend RW if he believes he will benefit from doing so.

Burke won't be fired for extending Ron Wilson, he will get fired for failing.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
Maybe we should fire him when we start going down in the standings and need a spark.

Or extend him after(if) we make the playoffs.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Darcy Tucker

Occupy Bourke

Old
12-25-2011, 12:45 PM
david999

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
This is what I am worried about. The Leafs go 3-0 or 5 of 6 and Burke uses that point to hand out a contract extension.
I guess it only took a 2 game streak for it to happen. For Burke's sake the team better come through

Old
12-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Interactif

Funny, the feeling here has quickly changed from not whether he deserves an extension to now Wilson has to prove he deserved the extension by making the playoffs.

This is a major shift in thinking, he will now be judged solely on wins and losses, meaning Wilson is now more under the gun. He's run out of rope in the excuses dept. Which may not be such a bad thing at all.

Old
12-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

since he is extended it's safe to close this thread.