HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating backwards and pushing the forward to the outside

Old
12-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Flonominal

vCash: 500
Skating backwards and pushing the forward to the outside

I am in a bit of a dilemma as i play defense for my high school roller hockey team
I am not the fastest backwards skater in the world so i tend to back off the forwards when there coming into the zone My coach tells me to force the forward to the outside as i move towards the boards they just accelerate right by me leaving me to chase after them The good teams we recently played had 3 players who could snipe from the blue line so i had to step on them which left me 2 options to get burned or let em shoot
Also how can i accelerate quickly from a standstill to skating backwards
hopefully this made sense any help is appreciated

Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
ArrogantOwl

Try getting someone to analyze your technique as that can be a major factor. If your technique is sound you could try practicing it at some open rink time or maybe working out to get stronger.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 02:03 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares Dangles View Post
I am in a bit of a dilemma as i play defense for my high school roller hockey team
I am not the fastest backwards skater in the world so i tend to back off the forwards when there coming into the zone My coach tells me to force the forward to the outside as i move towards the boards they just accelerate right by me leaving me to chase after them The good teams we recently played had 3 players who could snipe from the blue line so i had to step on them which left me 2 options to get burned or let em shoot
Also how can i accelerate quickly from a standstill to skating backwards
hopefully this made sense any help is appreciated
You can accelerate the fastest with backwards crossovers, however if someone's got a step on you, and is skating forward it will not help you anyway. You must anticipate the plays, if the opposing forwards attack with sped you should have a pretty good speed going backwards already.

Also as the previous poster said, work on your backward skating and the transitions, as better skills will also speed you up. If someone's going around you and just about level with you (can't cut to the inside anymore), then you have to transition to forward skating, and force him outside of the net.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
ponder

There's a thread on skating backwards here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1048287

On the 2nd page I posted some youtube videos that I think are really helpful.

It's essential to get a really good range of motion, big powerful strides with full extension. Going forwards you can sometimes rely on quick feet and jerky motions, but going backwards a full, smooth, powerful stride is key. As izzy3 stated, the best way to accelerate from a standstill is with a few strong crossovers, if you get comfortable with backwards crossovers this will just come naturally. And also as izzy3 stated, if a guy is about to go by you, you have to pivot and start skating forward, watch out for cross ice moves though, good forwards can make you look foolish once you pivot if you're not careful. Always pivot towards the forward to (so you're facing him mid-pivot), never away from the forward, this means that you'll have to be comfortable pivoting both ways.

With all this being said, I'm an ice player, this is ice advice. I assume it's still good advice for roller, but I'm not 100% sure, I'm sure there are difference to the technique.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Flonominal

Thank you all for your help ill try working on it during practice

Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:48 PM
pnewsom

Don't be standing still, keep your feet moving all the time. You can do this by moving along the blue line in tandem with you D partner as the play progresses in the offensive zone.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote