HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letter from Molson (French)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
So sick of seeing this language issue. Maybe thats the reason why we have sucked for so many years. **** the language....how about a winning club with the best coach that you can get.

Or maybe we need a coach who can speak 30 different languages, that way when we draft a non French speaking player they will be able to speak with them. This whole thing smells like ****, and I'm sick of hearing about it.

If I was Molson I would have released a statement saying this isn't about the French language this is about winning hockey games. End of story. Grow some balls for once.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Not the same thing at all. You might as well say a coach who couldn't speak English in Montreal. Priority one for the coach is to communicate with the players. That happens in English, whether you're in Montreal, Quebec City, Vancouver, Dallas or anywhere else in North America.

Priority two is to communicate with the media. Not only is this a lower priority(or should be anyways), but the fact that Cunneyworth can speak only English actually doesn't impede his ability to communicate with the media: the same way that it doesn't impede Brian Gionta, our captain, from doing the same. Translation, dubbing, sub-titles etc can all be done, and are being done as we speak.
Like I said earlier, I was simply implying that the person I quoted was comparing apples and oranges because both the coaches he mentioned are bilingual.

People need to read the quote before they read the post because that's 2 that take the same post way out of context.

Edit: Original post was deleted, which explains the confusion, carry on :S

Last edited by Strik_IX: 12-19-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Confusion rawwwr
Old
12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Everybody on Twitter is now talking about the Molson products boycott.
Everybody?

Old
12-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
What a pathetic rant. Funny how ONE coaching job among the THIRTY in the NHL requires knowledge of french and anglos like you can't stand it.

THAT, my friend, is intolerance in it's truest form. Why dont you become a leaf fan, because they always hire the very best coaches and personnel, right?

Jacques Lemaire: SC winner, Adams winner
Jean Perron: SC winner
Pat Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Jacques Demers: SC winner, Adams winner
Mario Tremblay: ?
Alain Vigneault: SC finalist, Adams winner
Michel Therrien: SC finalist
Claude Julien: SC winner, Adams winner
Guy Carbonneau: Adams finalist
Jacques Martin: SC finalist, Adams winner

Mike Nykoluk: ?
Dan Maloney: ?
John Brophy: ?
George Armstrong: ?
Doug Carpenter: ?
Tom Watt: ?
Par Burns: SC winner, Adams winner
Mike Murphy: ?
Pat Quinn: SC finalist, Adams winner
Paul Maurice: SC finalist
Ron Wilson: SC finalist
Jacques Martin SC finalist ? It was Bryan Murray with the Sens

Old
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
overlords
Hfboards

STOP quoting posts that you know are about to be deleted

Old
12-19-2011, 03:56 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The team's primary concern is the MONTREAL market, a cosmopolitan and bilingual city. One where French is a part of the identity, but life doesn't revolve around it.
Honestly it seems to me Montreal francophones are much more annoying regarding these issues than ''rest of quebec'' francos.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:56 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
Here is the link : http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/332075.html

He is trying to calm down the French medias lol !!!
The language thing rears it's ugly head once again...embarassing...

I thought it was about winning hockey games...

Old
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
NotProkofievian

Yes, Not The One, the people saying "hire the best available, bilingual or not" are the intolerant ones. The ones saying "anyone but a unilingual anglophone," are the true freedom-fighters in all this.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:57 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Just ordered a Blackhawks jersey :-)

Old
12-19-2011, 03:58 PM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
that would have been amazing.The storm would have lasted months.
at least, and oh what a storm it would have been...

Old
Murky

The whole **** storm is well deserved and quite frankly so are many other things. For too long have we tolerated and even supported the biggots and the idiots in media that are there simply to take the easy money by playing the nationalist card or even with an agenda.

There is no way to succeed in professional sports with an ulterior motive. We deserve all this crap. It is time to move to the 90's and then towards this age.

I wonder how many non German speaking coaches and players there are in the German Elite League? What about the Swiss?

This whole French debacle is stupid beyond belief. I think it's time to start recognizing that. Quebec is what it is, and we should be proud of what it is. That is not connected in any way to if or not the head coach of The Canadiens speaks French. English is and it has been the working language of all the teams since 60's and it is the working language in many of the European teams as well. We need to start getting over it. For some people it might mean understanding that you have been screwed over and exploited for a good while for political gain or simply for easy money.

Or we can choose to continue this non-stop dramallama that has been the Montreal Canadiens since the late 70's.

Old
coolasprICE

Just purchased 500 cases of Molson Products

Old
12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky View Post
The whole **** storm is well deserved and quite frankly so are many other things. For too long have we tolerated and even supported the biggots and the idiots in media that are there simply to take the easy money by playing the nationalist card or even with an agenda.

There is no way to succeed in professional sports with an ulterior motive. We deserve all this crap. It is time to move to the 90's and then towards this age.

I wonder how many non German speaking coaches and players there are in the German Elite League? What about the Swiss?

This whole French debacle is stupid beyond belief. I think it's time to start recognizing that. Quebec is what it is, and we should be proud of what it is. That is not connected in any way to if or not the head coach of The Canadiens speaks French. English is and it has been the working language of all the teams since 60's and it is the working language in many of the European teams as well. We need to start getting over it. For some people it might mean understanding that you have been screwed over and exploited for a good while for political gain or simply for easy money.

Or we can choose to continue this non-stop dramallama that has been the Montreal Canadiens since the late 70's.
Yes! Well said!

Old
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Just purchased 500 cases of Molson Products
Lol!

That boycott's gonna last about as long as it takes people to get to the convenience store...

Old
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

In the words of Carey Price.

Everyone chill out

Old
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy! View Post
Personally, I think Molson is at fault for a lot of this situation.

http://aconcernedfan.com/?p=83
I rest assured that Molson is in complete control of this situation. Gauthier will not be allowed to make silly moves.

In fact I think it's been a while since we've seen this strong a positive influence by the President position.

Old
Murky

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
And last of all, the coaches you mention speak both languages so it's a moot point. If Vancouver hired a coach who couldn't speak english I wonder how much of a ****storm it would raise.
Quite a ruckus indeed. That of course is because all the NHL teams operate in English internally, so the coach would not be able to do his job. It has nothing to do with the stupid reasons that there is now, once more, a so called scandal in Quebec.

Old
HeShootsHeScores

I'm french canadian, and I think Molson folded to a bunch of brainwashed collective thinking hypocrites.

Old
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I don't understand: what "needs"?

The only "need" is to win some hockey games. Everything else is a needless distraction that has us mired in mediocrity.

And like I said in the other thread: not speaking English in this day and age, or even understanding some of it, is ridiculous. There is no excuse for only speaking French. Most French people I know speak English, if not all.

Nothing against you here either, I'm just saying: the goal of the team is to win. That's it. That SHOULD be it.
Wow man, stop living in your west-island bubble. Plenty of people in the province of Quebec doesn't speak english at all..

Old
12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
at least, and oh what a storm it would have been...
it would have been magical , a beauty.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not The One View Post
Absolutely irrelevent for a team that caters to the QUEBEC market.There are 29 other teams where the staff is almost entirely anglo.
Wrong. For the most part, people in Quebec can speak and understand English. That is not the same for Anglo provinces and their populations' ability to speak French.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Erik Estrada

Lol, at those saying that the Habs won't hire an English coach...

Read Molson's letter... He would hire an English coach that has the ability to express himself in French.

By that letter, it's not even excluded that a unilingual English coach wouldn't be picked. He'll lose major points in the interview process (''it's a very important factor''), but if he's clearly head and shoulders above everyone else, I think he would get the job.

Chillax guys...

Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

If I recall correctly when the team was up for sale, there was a government institution that offered to loan 100M to any locals buyers, and since Molson bought the Habs though other partnership like BCE, he can't say "fck off, I do wtv I want with my investment".

Old
Optimus Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Wrong. For the most part, people in Quebec can speak and understand English. That is not the same for Anglo provinces and their populations' ability to speak French.
There's more to the province of Quebec than Montreal. You couldn't be more wrong.

Old
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Wow man, stop living in your west-island bubble. Plenty of people in the province of Quebec doesn't speak english at all..
And every fart of everyone related to this team in any way is available in French.

Closed Thread