HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Letter from Molson (French)

Closed Thread

Old
12-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Wrong. For the most part, people in Quebec can speak and understand English. That is not the same for Anglo provinces and their populations' ability to speak French.
Not really, you don't have to go very far to find a majority of citizens who can't understand anything more than "Yes" "No" and "Toaster".

Old
12-19-2011, 03:06 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
I've always thought the biggest thing holding this franchise back are the "fans" and the media.

It's very difficult to run a team when you have to not only appease your true fans...but you also have to appease the fake fans, the politicians and the media.

All I want is a winning team. Keep your frigging political agenda to yourself. Politics has no frigging place in sports.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:08 PM
habsjunkie2*

I find these politicians hilarious. They do a piss poor job of governing in the first place, then they pander to a group of fans for political support in the hopes of gaining support down the road to get elected. We should fire them all.

Secondly, this whole thing is embarrassingly stupid. If you were a player/coach in this league, would your first choice be to play here in this mess? Mine certainly wouldn't, too many people who should be far removed from these discussions are looking to capitalize for personal reasons. A bunch of vultures. This whole thing is making a mockery of this once proud organization. I am becoming sick of it all.

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Wrong. For the most part, people in Quebec can speak and understand English. That is not the same for Anglo provinces and their populations' ability to speak French.
It is not about understanding and speaking the language...I think it is a lack of respect not to be able to talk to your consummer ( fans ) in their native language. and it is the coach job to talk to the fans

Old
HeShootsHeScores

This language "issue" in sports entertainment perspective has nothing to do with the "french should understand english" and "english should understand and speak french" overall debate.

Two completly different debates that both the english and french population has trouble to dissociate.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Murky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I've always thought the biggest thing holding this franchise back are the "fans" and the media.
I have not always thought so. Just since the early 80's..

I wonder how the poor French fans in Europe follow NHL, since 29 teams do not cater to them. Oh yeah, the media can translate the interviews and such. What an innovative idea, that..

Old
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Not really, you don't have to go very far to find a majority of citizens who can't understand anything more than "Yes" "No" and "Toaster".
Funny story, when I was on exchange in Longeuil the only coordinator there that didn't speak English knew only these three exact words.

I **** you not, sir.

Old
EmelinHipCheck

My level of respect for Molson has dropped.

Old
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Let's all learn Esperanto and call it a day.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
Intense

1 - Patrick Roy

2 - Benoit Groulx

If those aren't available, then choose the best wether french/english/spanish or russian for all I care.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Said it before and will say it again: We don't need the coach who can discuss Marcel Proust, we need a coach who can deliver sound bites regarding his team's performance. "Hockey French" is maybe a 200 word vocabulary with some simple grammatical structures. In a few months RC can get there if he wants.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Wow man, stop living in your west-island bubble. Plenty of people in the province of Quebec doesn't speak english at all..
West Island bubble?

I was born in Montreal, lived in Laval, live in Outremont, among French people from France and I've gone to French school all my life.

I said there is no excuse for not speaking English at all and living in Quebec. That's plain ignorance. Quebec isn't the center of the world.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:12 PM
Murky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
It is not about understanding and speaking the language...I think it is a lack of respect not to be able to talk to your consummer ( fans ) in their native language. and it is the coach job to talk to the fans
This is utter crap. Not a single Canadian coach that has gone to Germany or Switzerland to coach has learned the local language.

This whole thing is completely unique in Quebec and it was invented raised and cultivated there for easy money and political points.

I agree that it is part of the job of the coach to talk to the fans. He can however speak English and then it is the media's job to translate it for their audience be it Malinese or whatever. That is how the rest of the World does it, and look - it works well in all areas of life even outside of hockey.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Said it before and will say it again: We don't need the coach who can discuss Marcel Proust, we need a coach who can deliver sound bites regarding his team's performance. "Hockey French" is maybe a 200 word vocabulary with some simple grammatical structures. In a few months RC can get there if he wants.
True. And I think any coach should be given a chance to coach the montreal canadiens if they learn that french hockey dictionnary, and are given time to do so.

That's why this "cunneyworth doesn't speak french" whining is way too early and stupid.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM
KirkMuller93

Jesse Marsch coaches the impact.

Marc Trestman coaches the Als.

Both sell out every game without a mention of the fact they are not french coaches.

The Francophone media here feels that the Canadiens should be French First and winning second, its really ****in sad.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Optimus Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
West Island bubble?

I was born in Montreal, lived in Laval, live in Outremont, among French people from France and I've gone to French school all my life.

I said there is no excuse for not speaking English at all and living in Quebec. That's plain ignorance. Quebec isn't the center of the world.
Since every francophone-only are ignorants, maybe we should switch to english for the next generations to come. After all, people from Gaspésie, Abitibi, Saguenay and so on are ignorants and should speak english just for **** and giggles.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post

It's very difficult to run a team when you have to not only appease your true fans...but you also have to appease the fake fans, the politicians and the media.

All I want is a winning team. Keep your frigging political agenda to yourself. Politics has no frigging place in sports.
I'm a French Canadian fan and I don't think we need to have bilingual management and coach above everything else.

However, I understand the concern, and you should as well. Every team likes having local players, and in Montreal's case it's even more obvious since the fans have a strong and personal attachment to the franchise.

I want the Habs to win above everything else, in fact if the Habs were a winning team right now we wouldn't even have this controversy. However a lot of people in this thread need to get over themselves and their whining about the evil francophones.

Old
12-19-2011, 03:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Funny story, when I was on exchange in Longeuil the only coordinator there that didn't speak English knew only these three exact words.

I **** you not, sir.
Thats impossible.

Quebecers use a large quantity of anglicism. He can't not know what these words are : speaker, brake, wiper (or basically any other car related word), stop, shooter, jack strap, ect. And then there are many words common with both french and english.

Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Price View Post
Since every francophone-only are ignorants, maybe we should switch to english for the next generations to come. After all, people from Gaspésie, Abitibi, Saguenay and so on are ignorants and should speak english just for **** and giggles.
Yes it is ignorant, you heard me right. Quebec is a part of Canada, and a part of North America: a predominantly *ENGLISH* speaking territory.

Leave Quebec only knowing French and discover the joys of not being able to communicate with anyone outside of countries where French is a notable language.

Unbelievable, really.

Old
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murky View Post
I have not always thought so. Just since the early 80's..

I wonder how the poor French fans in Europe follow NHL, since 29 teams do not cater to them. Oh yeah, the media can translate the interviews and such. What an innovative idea, that..
I'm right there with you. I'm an 80's baby.

Old
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
West Island bubble?

Maybe he should have say your Montreal island bubble. Go take a stroll in Bas St-Laurent, Chaudière-Appalaches and Saguenay then tell me you can't live in Quebec and only speak french.

Old
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
Hey guys, I'm French Canadian and happy of this decision. Am I a troll in this thread? P I do feel bad for the timing of this whole thing though, i.e. Cunneyworth and the interim position. This could have been avoided. In general, I like the fact that Mtl has consistently given the first chance to French Canadians for the coaching position, and most of them are now successful! Without the Habs, would there be that many bilingual coaches in the league? Conversely, Hockey Canada seldom picks French Canadian coaches and that's too bad! Another topic though...

Maybe that's just me, but I sometimes feel that the coaching job is overrated, hence the rotation of coach each three years in most organizations. I am confident that Montreal can easily find a good bilingual coach for the job. Groulx, Roy, Boucher, alouette!

As a general comment, I urge everyone to remain respectful with their comments on Québec and French Canadians

Old
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Never forget that this team is l'équipe du peuple, founded on the principle of giving French Canada a professional hockey team...To some extent that makes Les Canadiens a political enitity...A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon when they were winning, I expect a lot to jump off in the hard times...Being able to communicate effectively to your fan base, which is bilingual, is a common courtesy, in a fan-driven sport. Considering that 3 of the 4 coaches in last year's Conference finals were French Canadians from the Habs organization, I don't think the talent pool is very thin.

If the Habs had more players/personnel who had pride in the Sweater, and less in the value of their contract, they might be a more successful team...

However, that said, fans who boo their own players mercilessly, will never create the environment necessary to hoist Lord Stanley...

Old
12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo View Post
Without the Habs, would there be that many bilingual coaches in the league?
And nobody except a certain segment of our fanbase that's crying about Cunneyworth would care about there being no bilingual coaches in the NHL...

Old
12-19-2011, 03:18 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
And like I said in the other thread: not speaking English in this day and age, or even understanding some of it, is ridiculous. There is no excuse for only speaking French. Most French people I know speak English, if not all.
What an ignorant statement. Clearly, you've never traveled out of the West Island.

Closed Thread