HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Kesler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2011, 04:52 PM
  #1
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Ryan Kesler

Just for giggles, say GM Mike Gillis loses his marbles and decides that Ryan Kesler is no longer in the future plans for Vancouver. What could we get for him? With a lot of teams in the market for a bonafide 1C, I'm curious as to what people perceive his value of.

23rd overall pick in 2003
Coming off of a 41G 70pt season playing with rotating wingers
Current Selke winner
Signed at 5M/yr through until 2015-16 with an NTC starting in 2012-13
Absolute Beast in the playoffs
Killer abs

Vancouver's needs:

Top 4/Top Pairing RH defenseman
High potential defense prospects
Bonafide Top 6 sniper

This would not be a quantity for quality deal, so no offers of 4 players for 1. Think 2 good pieces with picks if needed, depending on the quality of the players. We're right up against the contract limit so taking on 4 contracts isn't the situation we want.



Last edited by thepuckmonster: 12-19-2011 at 05:09 PM.
thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:06 PM
  #2
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Just for giggles, say GM Mike Gillis loses his marbles and decides that Ryan Kesler is no longer in the future plans for Vancouver. What could we get for him? With a lot of teams in the market for a bonafide 1C, I'm curious as to what people perceive his value of.

23rd overall pick in 2003
Coming off of a 41G 70pt season playing with rotating wingers
Current Selke winner
Signed at 5M/yr through until 2015-16 with an NTC starting in 2012-13
Absolute Beast in the playoffs
Killer abs

Vancouver's needs:

Top 4/Top Pairing RH defenseman
High potential defense prospects
Bonafide Top 6 sniper

This would not be a quantity for quality deal, so no offers of 4 for 1. Think 2 good pieces with picks if needed.
Aren't you contradicting yourself just in this single sentence? Wouldn't 2 good pieces plus 2 draft picks be the exact scenario that you don't want?

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
  #3
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself just in this single sentence? Wouldn't 2 good pieces plus 2 draft picks be the exact scenario that you don't want?
I think he means 3 for 2

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
  #4
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Sanguine View Post
Aren't you contradicting yourself just in this single sentence? Wouldn't 2 good pieces plus 2 draft picks be the exact scenario that you don't want?
Sorry, to clarify, 4 players isn't what we need. Picks can be used for other trades, more interest in having 2 players and 2 picks than 4 contracts.

Will edit.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:12 PM
  #5
Bourne Endeavor
Moderator
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,616
vCash: 13357
Toews, who right now is better than Kesler, not that it would happen any way however that caliber of a player is who I would want back. With his current contract and what he brings to the team, Kesler's value is so disgustingly high to Vancouver, no team could afford him with what they would want to give up.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
  #6
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 657
Gardiner
Kulemin
Leafs 1st

Kesler


High potential top 4 D, struggling 2nd line winger coming off a 30 goal season but has been playing the best defensive hockey of his career, and a 1st which can be anywhere from 10-20

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:16 PM
  #7
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Toews, who right now is better than Kesler, not that it would happen any way however that caliber of a player is who I would want back. With his current contract and what he brings to the team, Kesler's value is so disgustingly high to Vancouver, no team could afford him with what they would want to give up.
Oh I agree, but it's just for curiosity. Kesler doesn't get moved, this is under the entirely hypothetical situation Hodgson becomes a player of Kesler quality and MG smokes too much BC bud.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
  #8
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Gardiner
Kulemin
Leafs 1st

Kesler


High potential top 4 D, struggling 2nd line winger coming off a 30 goal season but has been playing the best defensive hockey of his career, and a 1st which can be anywhere from 10-20
Is Gardiner a RHS? We don't need anymore lefties with Edler and Hamhuis in our Top 4 and both are very solid on the left, so much so that Ballard can't play Top 4 minutes unless he becomes as good on the right.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
  #9
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Kesler, Ballard and Schroeder

For

Staal, McBain and Faulk

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:23 PM
  #10
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Kesler, Ballard and Schroeder

For

Staal, McBain and Faulk
Not really any interest in Faulk. Rather a pick instead.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
  #11
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Is Gardiner a RHS? We don't need anymore lefties with Edler and Hamhuis in our Top 4 and both are very solid on the left, so much so that Ballard can't play Top 4 minutes unless he becomes as good on the right.
I guess we can change Gardiner to Schenn, but would probably need something else coming back.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
  #12
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name
 
Marlo Stanfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 50
Here comes the deal everyone is sick of hearing;

Kesler for Shea Weber.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
  #13
Nuck This
Registered User
 
Nuck This's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Not really any interest in Faulk. Rather a pick instead.
Faulk is 19 and in the NHL and you would rather have a pick?

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:27 PM
  #14
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I guess we can change Gardiner to Schenn, but would probably need something else coming back.
Can Gunnarsson play the right? I like his style.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
  #15
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Here comes the deal everyone is sick of hearing;

Kesler for Shea Weber.
Meh, not necessarily. Weber is nice but in this proverbial land we could get two pieces that fill a need as opposed to one and leave a hole.

And I'd only trade Kesler for a signed (to some form of contract) Weber. Not RFA Weber.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:29 PM
  #16
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Faulk is 19 and in the NHL and you would rather have a pick?
I suppose if we're offloading 3 contracts we can take back 3, so I'll change my stance on that. For some reason I didn't see Schroeder involved.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:31 PM
  #17
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,284
vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Can Gunnarsson play the right? I like his style.
No

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schenn

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
  #18
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
No

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Schenn
Damn, for some reason I kept think Phaneuf played on the left.

eh, not really interested in Schenn either, TBH. Vancouver's defense is based around being able to be fast puck movers, Schenn isn't really that mold. I'm not confident in his development curve as of yet and if we're hypothetically moving Kesler I want a proven Top 4, not a high potential rookie.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
  #19
wahsnairb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Toews, who right now is better than Kesler, not that it would happen any way however that caliber of a player is who I would want back. With his current contract and what he brings to the team, Kesler's value is so disgustingly high to Vancouver, no team could afford him with what they would want to give up.
if that is the kind of return that VAN would want for kesler then this should be locked because that is just nonsensical.

two key pieces that add up to a little more than he is worth makes much more sense.

wahsnairb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:46 PM
  #20
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,664
vCash: 500
Jesse Blacker (Gardiner clone, plays right side)
Nikolai Kulemin
2012 1st rounder


doesnt seem like enough to me ... but the only speedy RD we have to offer is Gardiner, maybe Percy if you are willing to wait an extra 2 years ...

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
  #21
vezna*
Canada's Team
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Jesse Blacker (Gardiner clone, plays right side)
Nikolai Kulemin
2012 1st rounder


doesnt seem like enough to me ... but the only speedy RD we have to offer is Gardiner, maybe Percy if you are willing to wait an extra 2 years ...
blacker is far from a gardiner clone

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
  #22
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Miller
Del Zotto
1st

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
  #23
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Jesse Blacker (Gardiner clone, plays right side)
Nikolai Kulemin
2012 1st rounder


doesnt seem like enough to me ... but the only speedy RD we have to offer is Gardiner, maybe Percy if you are willing to wait an extra 2 years ...
Give me the lowdown on Blacker, I've heard he's quite well touted. I like Kulemin and I think he would do better in Vancouver's system.

thepuckmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 05:58 PM
  #24
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 27,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
blacker is far from a gardiner clone
high end speed
a bit less offensive
better defensively


by clone i did not mean exact, but they are quite similar as shown in preseason

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
  #25
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,238
vCash: 500
Del Zotto
Dubinsky
1st, 2nd

Something like that maybe? No idea... I do know I don't want to trade him though Heh..

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.