HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Goon (movie)

Old
06-16-2012, 07:14 AM
bp spec

vCash: 0
Laflamme is such a badass. The Russian teammates are funny too, picking on the goalie all the time. I like the goalie too. The film itself isn't that good, but it's not boring.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:52 AM

vCash: 500
I liked it even though the hockey parts were kind of lame and the girl looked like Corky from Life Goes On.

Do we have any info if any other hockey movies are coming out?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
funny but thought the end was over the top and stupid --way too gratuitous, violent and long...also film couldn't figure out if it wanted to be a comedy or drama. definitely not on same level as 'slap-shot' as some have suggested...still entertaining for the most part
If you couldn't work out that Goon was meant to be a comedy, I have no idea what to tell you.

Great film. Turn your brain off for a couple of hours and enjoy. Had so many LOL moments.

Was crying with laughter when he was punching a player in the face while looking directly at laflamme.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:02 AM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
If you couldn't work out that Goon was meant to be a comedy, I have no idea what to tell you.

Great film. Turn your brain off for a couple of hours and enjoy. Had so many LOL moments.

Was crying with laughter when he was punching a player in the face while looking directly at laflamme.
I definitely agree with the other poster - the film was very confused...like it had bipolar disorder. It just wasn't good. That doesn't mean it wasn't entertaining, but the character development was awful, bad plot, bad writing, etc. I'm pretty shocked that some people here thought it was a genuinely good movie. The basic plot had the potential to be good, but that was about it.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:06 AM
B A T M A N
Risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp spec View Post
Laflamme is such a badass. The Russian teammates are funny too, picking on the goalie all the time. I like the goalie too. The film itself isn't that good, but it's not boring.
Agreed. It's an average movie, but it is very fun. I liked it.

I could feel for Laflamme. How often have we seen top picks not pan out to their potential? It was kind of nice to see things from his aspect, as limited as it was.

B A T M A N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Mr Lahey*

This movie was great. Not Slapshot but we might not ever see another Slapshot.

DOUG! YOU'RE ON PISSHOLE

Sometimes garbage flies into my face

Mr Lahey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:35 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
I personally thought it was great if you just turn your brain off and enjoy the hockey stuff. Normally I can't stand Seann William Scott but I thought he did a good job with the character. Wish he'd not been quite that stupid, though. Loved the bit with Laraque, the Russian twins were priceless, Doug's chick had the best puck bunny line in a movie ever: "Being with you...makes me...not wanna sleep with a whole buncha guys...!" Liked the allusion to Bure and Odjick with the friendship developing between Doug and LaFlamme, and also like the reference to Odjick's half-naked crime spree vs St Louis way back in the day during Ross the Boss's retirement montage. Plenty of "So Canadian it hurts" moments on the soundtrack and in the casting, absolutely authentic on-ice hockey player dialogue...what's not to love?

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 01:37 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Two rules

Don't touch my ****ing percocets

and do you have any ****ing percocets man
Hahaha, yes!
Pretty funny movie, watched it with a few friends after some open hockey.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:08 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Two rules

Don't touch my ****ing percocets

and do you have any ****ing percocets man
Just finished watching, my favorite part of the movie for sure ^^^

Also loved the Asian guy putting himself through med school and just doing all the things the team doctor was supposed to do, including working on himself.

Jay Baruchel's character was pretty over the top hilarious too

Thought it was a good, entertaining, funny hockey movie

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 10:20 PM
bp spec

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard VI View Post
Agreed. It's an average movie, but it is very fun. I liked it.

I could feel for Laflamme. How often have we seen top picks not pan out to their potential? It was kind of nice to see things from his aspect, as limited as it was.
Yeah of course. Even though it's a comedy I felt it was interesting to see things from his point of view. That sort of behavior isnt very uncommon I guess, sadly enough. But he walking in with his headphones listening to Your ****ing head split, when everyone are already dressed is my favorite scene. That moment defines badass.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:55 AM
straka91*

I like this movie a lot of references to real life hockey.

The slash to the back of the head and the suspension for Rhea was the Mcsorely incident.

BGL saying good luck and good fight reminds of the time he was mic'd up with the Coyotes during the fight with Ivanans.

The Halifax logo is the Flyers logo with an H instead of an P.

The Russian factor.

The plot was simple, did a good job off showing how enforcers are nice off the ice but the complete opposite on the ice. The only things I didnt like was the romance and the ugly ass chick who played the girlfriend. That was very wierd imo.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Trevor3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noogies87 View Post
The plot was simple, did a good job off showing how enforcers are nice off the ice but the complete opposite on the ice. The only things I didnt like was the romance and the ugly ass chick who played the girlfriend. That was very wierd imo.
The girl was Alison Pill, she's Baruchel's girlfriend I believe. She's actually kinda cute, I'd go out with her.

I finally got around to watching this movie last night... I liked it, it was really entertaining.

People need to take things for what they are worth. Goon accomplishes all the goals it was reaching for, it got laughs, it showed what minor league hockey can be like, and had a neat little story line. If you don't go in expecting something to sweep at the Academy Awards you'll have a good time. And that's what this is about, having a good time.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
The goalie calling the two Russians, "Chernobyl mother****ers" is still just absolutely hilarious to me with the accent.