HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT: Why I sometimes despise college athletics, this could apply to hockey players

Old
12-19-2011, 09:16 PM
cutchemist42

vCash: 500
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ien/index.html

I really hate how the NCAA allows situations like these to happen and shatter any good perceptions of other student-athlete experiences. Someone being able to pursue a graduate degree while still participating in athletics should be celebrated, not ruined because of pettiness.

Cliffnotes:

-Player wants to use graduate degree exemption to play 1 more year at UAB after initial 4 year scholarship
-Needs St. Joes, his undergrad school, to approve transfer.
-His St. Joe's coach is holding a grudge and not signing off to allow him to play for his graduate school

Last edited by cutchemist42: 12-19-2011 at 10:06 PM.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
sh724

That is a bit ridiculous. if the school cannot give a valid reason for objecting the transfer the NCAA should step in and allow the player to play.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:22 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Martelli sounds like a real jerk, but seeing how egotistical some mid-major college coaches can be, that doesn't really surprise me. I hope he enjoys the harm this story does to his recruiting efforts.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

That's pretty strange. Perhaps I'm getting myself mixed up, but I thought the rule was that you had an automatic exemption if the school you're leaving doesn't offer that program in grad school, and a release would be needed if they did.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 10:46 PM
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Martelli sounds like a real jerk, but seeing how egotistical some mid-major college coaches can be, that doesn't really surprise me. I hope he enjoys the harm this story does to his recruiting efforts.
That was my first reaction after finishing. I hope it blows up in his face in a way far worse than he could imagine.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
That's pretty strange. Perhaps I'm getting myself mixed up, but I thought the rule was that you had an automatic exemption if the school you're leaving doesn't offer that program in grad school, and a release would be needed if they did.
But the school claimed he was not leaving for academic reasons and was only leaving to upset the coach

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2011, 11:01 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I guess they never thought a coach could hold such a grudge to do this? I would wish the rules would have been written to never allow one person with no real good reason to hold up a great exaample of a student-athlete from BEING a student-athlete.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:09 AM
KevFu

It's weird, because Martelli is normally known for being a pretty solid dude.

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:44 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Get the feeling our protagonist is leaving something out of the story.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Yeah, this exemption is typically used by players like Russell Wilson as a way to become a sort of free agent and it very rarely has anything at all to do with academics. Not that I'm against it, giving these kids the chance to be in control for themselves isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying I find the idea that this guy, who's already transferred once, has always dreamed of going to grad school at UAB a little fishy.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
cutchemist42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Yeah, this exemption is typically used by players like Russell Wilson as a way to become a sort of free agent and it very rarely has anything at all to do with academics. Not that I'm against it, giving these kids the chance to be in control for themselves isn't a bad thing, I'm just saying I find the idea that this guy, who's already transferred once, has always dreamed of going to grad school at UAB a little fishy.
If your the NCAA and try publicly to display you promote the idea of a student-athlete, why would you give one coach so much power? Like, what % of these student-athletes actually end up graduating let alone going to graduate school?

As a coach, I just don't see what you get out of this beside ego? They play in a different conference and recruits will hear this story and think your a dick. What raal good reason is there to acting like this?

Old
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM
nnynetpotato

Quote:
I'm just saying I find the idea that this guy, who's already transferred once, has always dreamed of going to grad school at UAB a little fishy.
The "Education:Human Studies" Department has to be in the top 100 in the country,no?

http://main.uab.edu/Sites/gradschool/programs/72141/

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
UAB has some good grad programs, I guess Tuscaloosa is too small for some of them. Is it Harvard, Yale, Stanford or Michigan? No, but it is very solid in terms of graduate programs.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I wasn't dissing UAB at all, more suggesting that I'm a bit suspicious of a basketball player who's already transferred once claiming academics are the only reason for this move... if so, quit basketball

Old
12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
I wasn't dissing UAB at all, more suggesting that I'm a bit suspicious of a basketball player who's already transferred once claiming academics are the only reason for this move... if so, quit basketball
Just so we know, your ok with this process allowing someone to be held up by the whim of any football/basketball/tennis/hockey/etc. coach and his/her grudge?

Old
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFu View Post
It's weird, because Martelli is normally known for being a pretty solid dude.
No one from St. Joes can ever be solid.

Still mad at them running over GT.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:37 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
If your the NCAA and try publicly to display you promote the idea of a student-athlete, why would you give one coach so much power? Like, what % of these student-athletes actually end up graduating let alone going to graduate school?

As a coach, I just don't see what you get out of this beside ego? They play in a different conference and recruits will hear this story and think your a dick. What raal good reason is there to acting like this?
#1 - The reason a school has to sign off on a transfer is to prevent coaches from trying to steal each other's players. If you look at most transfers, virtually NO ONE transfers within the same conference, and most go out-of-region. Usually, you release a kid to transfer to somewhere outside of your conference, outside your region, and not to anyone you have games scheduled against.

#2 - The percentage of student-athletes who graduate is higher than the average of general students. By a lot.
The Division I grad rate is 84% (transfers and people who got their degree years later count as "didn't graduate")
The national average of kids who enroll and then get a degree (from anywhere in any time frame) is about 58%.

When people talk about the kids who go to college for a year and jump to the pros, they're talking about like 20 of the 4800 Division I basketball players.

#3 - Someone did a "this doesn't add up" story. Basically, there was an incident where another player on the team did something stupid like steal a laptop or something. O'Brien wasn't "involved", but he knew about it and it was his report that led to the kid getting kicked off the team. So Martelli's pissed he's lost both players and O'Brien didn't realize about the rule until it was too late for Martelli to recruit someone to replace him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
The "Education:Human Studies" Department has to be in the top 100 in the country,no?

http://main.uab.edu/Sites/gradschool/programs/72141/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist18 View Post
UAB has some good grad programs, I guess Tuscaloosa is too small for some of them. Is it Harvard, Yale, Stanford or Michigan? No, but it is very solid in terms of graduate programs.
UAB has a grad program in his field (The field he had an internship last year for). St Joe's doesn't. St. Joe's wants him to play basketball and take grad classes for something he isn't going to use. He transferred to take grad classes for what he wants to do after basketball.

Quote:
He is taking classes in his field at UAB right now. He just wants to use the year of eligibility he has left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
No one from St. Joes can ever be solid.

Still mad at them running over GT.
They had two NBA players on that team! They were really good that year. What do you think of Brian Gregory?

Old
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Fourier

Transfers at the undergraduate level are relatively rare for strictly academic reasons. Moving from your undergraduate school to a different school for grad studies is not only far more common but is also very much recommended.

Last edited by Fourier: 12-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
KevFu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Transers at the undergraduate level are relatively rare for strictly academic reasons. Moving from your undergraduate school to a different school for grad studies is not only far more common but is also very much recommended.
Not only that, but as Coach K said "The divorce rate in this country is over 50% for all ages, but we expect 17-year old high school juniors to pick the best college for them with 100% accuracy?"

Old
12-22-2011, 03:26 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

I'm a major advocate for kids being able to transfer wherever they want penalty free, don't get me wrong

I'm also a major advocate for getting both sides of every story before rushing to judge people.

Old
12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
cutchemist42

Quote:
I'm a major advocate for kids being able to transfer wherever they want penalty free, don't get me wrong

I'm also a major advocate for getting both sides of every story before rushing to judge people.

Is there another side of the story yet from the St. Joe's basketball program?

Old
12-28-2011, 12:08 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I have a problem with what Russell Wilson did because he already played pro in another sport and was much older than most of his fellow competitors this season.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote