HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

last in league in goals against right now... thought?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
  #51
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
It's a huge problem too. Can't teach someone to care, lol, especially when they have other options like SEL.
Posts like this make me chuckle. Going as far back as last summer, people on this board were bouncing off the walls, celebrating the genius of Murray for completely FLEECING St-louis in getting this guy who would come in and dominate the NHL and would be the backbone of our rebuild with Karlsson.

At the time, I had the audacity to ask ‘Shouldn't we wait until this guy plays one shift in the NHL before anointing him as the next great one?' and I was hounded for the next 25 posts being called a ******, a moron, an idiot who knows nothing about hockey, etc.

So all of three months later, and most importantly, after being traded, this guy is now a heartless flight risk bum. You would have been banned for trolling for writing that stuff in August.


Last edited by Suiteness: 12-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
  #52
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Posts like this make me chuckle. Going as far back as last summer, people on this board were bouncing off the walls, celebrating the genius of Murray for completely FLEECING St-louis in getting this guy who would come in and dominate the NHL and would be the backbone of our rebuild with Karlsson.

At the time, I had the audacity to ask ‘Shouldn't we wait until this guy plays one shift in the NHL before anointing him the next great one' and I was hounded for the next 25 posts being called a ******, a moron, an idiot who knows nothing about hockey, etc.

So all of three months later, and most importantly, after being traded, this guy is now a heartless flight risk bum.
You do realise he's been against Rundblad since the beginning right?

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:49 AM
  #53
Suiteness
Registered User
 
Suiteness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Time to Rebuild
Posts: 6,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
You do realise he's been against Rundblad since the beginning right?
I quoted his post but I'm mostly referring to the general tone of this board regarding Runblad just a few months back.

With that said, I highly doubt he would have gone as far as calling Runblad a flight risk who doesn't care in August. He would have gotten infraction points from that one for the 20 000 reported posts alone.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
  #54
Billy Madison*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
You do realise he's been against Rundblad since the beginning right?
Yah, I knew what he meant. I'll say I was just as excited and totally convinced that Rundblad was NHL ready though before coming over. Pretty close to 10 games in I knew that was the case and just saw some shocking things on the back end. Never really felt like getting into a huge thing about it because people become so vocal (usually the ones that think if they are louder it means their right) so...

Either way, I was never convinced Rundblad was a long term answer in Ottawa and it was a matter of time before he was moved for another player. Just happened to be the next day after I said it.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:18 PM
  #55
Flamingo
Registered User
 
Flamingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
Run and gun.

Yippee-kay-aiiiii!

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:25 PM
  #56
SensFactor
Registered User
 
SensFactor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
I can't believe no one on here has mentioned Karlsson, how many turnovers has he caused for goals this season? Rundblad shouldn't be the only scapegoat here, plus he has an excuse.. he's played 30 NHL games or less. What's Karlsson's excuse? Is he like he was in his first season? No, he's better but still makes some mistakes over and over....he over handles the puck or makes bad pinches...I think you have to give some blame to Karlsson as well.

SensFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 03:30 PM
  #57
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
It's a mix between inconsistent D in our own zone and the goalies failing to ever bail them out.
To be fair, Anderson bails out the D several times a game, he just doesn't do it every time. He makes his fair share of great saves per game, and lets in very few stinkers.

It would be nice if he could rob teams more often, but that's probably not a fair expectation given who he is.

He is very solid for us, sprinkled with the occasional amazing save, not much more at this point.

It is my opinion that if our D was better he would look a LOT better, if he was better, our D would still look pretty bad and he would look amazing.

Having said that, now that our worst defender is gone, and our two vets are back, we should be playing a little better in our zone.

Ice-Tray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 04:00 PM
  #58
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 12,438
vCash: 500
Goals against are a big problem for this team & they have to improve on this if they want to have any chance of making the playoffs. They need to reduce their penalties & play a better team defence. If they can protect the puck more & play a better puck possession game that would reduce the amount of time the other team has the puck & of course Anderson has to make more saves.

On Rundblad - the deal is done, iI'm over it, let's move on & see how Turris looks.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:50 PM
  #59
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,163
vCash: 500
No thoughts. It will get better, I guess?

16-14-4

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:55 PM
  #60
ChocolateLeclaire
Moderator
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
To be fair, Anderson bails out the D several times a game, he just doesn't do it every time. He makes his fair share of great saves per game, and lets in very few stinkers.

It would be nice if he could rob teams more often, but that's probably not a fair expectation given who he is.

He is very solid for us, sprinkled with the occasional amazing save, not much more at this point.

It is my opinion that if our D was better he would look a LOT better, if he was better, our D would still look pretty bad and he would look amazing.

Having said that, now that our worst defender is gone, and our two vets are back, we should be playing a little better in our zone.
Case in point, last night. D played much better and therefore he looked quite good. He made some great saves last night and apart from that one goal that seemed to fool him (because Vanek was parked in front and I guess he was expecting a tip) he could have had a shutout.

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:04 AM
  #61
Apaharn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,784
vCash: 500
Not anymore as of this moment.

Apaharn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:42 AM
  #62
Alfie#11
Registered User
 
Alfie#11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Ottawa spends the 3rd highest amount of time on the PK.

Ottawa is 25th in PK efficiency.

The Sens have allowed the second most PPGA.

More discipline would help. As would better a PK.

That being said, I like offensive hockey so i don't mind. If we get a little better defensively, it would help. I'm not interested in playing Jacques Martin hockey again.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 07:19 AM
  #63
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal, Canada
Country: Monaco
Posts: 14,513
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Jaroslav Halak 17 1011 40 2.37 6 7 4 1 1 374 0.903

Is he not playing for Hitch also? The system helps but it doesn't explain everything. Elliott was putting up great numbers when that garbage other coach was there earlier in the year.
You might want to check Halak's game log. Hitchcock joined them on Nov 6

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...jaroslav-halak

Halak's SV% in November : 0.938%
Halak's SV% in December : 0.918%

Elliott has been very good all season, I think the whole hockey world is surprised but the Nlues are (finally) a good team, particulary defensively. It actually reminds that Sens 11 wins streak when Elliott put up very great numbers. He didn't do extraordinary things, Sens just went on an amazing run of tight defensive play. Elliott just had to be solid and cut on those 1-2 bad goals per game.

I think Elliott signs a bigger contract than he should and ends up disappointing at some point.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
  #64
Jorge Garcia
Registered User
 
Jorge Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filips Tuba View Post
Hockey Prospectus has Ottawa with the worst defence and goaltending thus far.

Chicken or the egg.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1203
Who are these weenies? And who takes their baseball-style over-analysis seriously?
Ottawa had some early blowout losses (7-1, 7-2, 5-1) that skewed the stats but didn't hurt them in the standings any more than three 2-1 defeats would have. Similarly, the Senators have given up a lot of meaningless goals in games that they won fairly easily. Pittsburgh's late fourth goal in this week's 6-4 win is an example.
Bottom line, Ottawa is over .500 in terms of available points taken, while sporting goals-against and plus-minus numbers that you'd associate with a basement dweller.
It's not always how many goals you give up, it's when.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
  #65
ChocolateLeclaire
Moderator
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
You might want to check Halak's game log. Hitchcock joined them on Nov 6

http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...jaroslav-halak

Halak's SV% in November : 0.938%
Halak's SV% in December : 0.918%

Elliott has been very good all season, I think the whole hockey world is surprised but the Nlues are (finally) a good team, particulary defensively. It actually reminds that Sens 11 wins streak when Elliott put up very great numbers. He didn't do extraordinary things, Sens just went on an amazing run of tight defensive play. Elliott just had to be solid and cut on those 1-2 bad goals per game.

I think Elliott signs a bigger contract than he should and ends up disappointing at some point.
Classic Elliott on the Avs second goal. He always handled the puck like it was a live hand grenade...

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:07 PM
  #66
Ed Wood
Registered User
 
Ed Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
I can't believe no one on here has mentioned Karlsson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFactor View Post
, how many turnovers has he caused for goals this season? Rundblad shouldn't be the only scapegoat here, plus he has an excuse.. he's played 30 NHL games or less. What's Karlsson's excuse? Is he like he was in his first season? No, he's better but still makes some mistakes over and over....he over handles the puck or makes bad pinches...I think you have to give some blame to Karlsson as well.
Valid point but It's even more shocking that no one has pointed out that when your alleged top shutdown dman is Chris Phillips you're only asking for trouble.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:40 PM
  #67
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,590
vCash: 145
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Take that Tampa!

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 04:02 PM
  #68
Wham City
Registered User
 
Wham City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Whistler
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Garcia View Post
Who are these weenies? And who takes their baseball-style over-analysis seriously?
Ottawa had some early blowout losses (7-1, 7-2, 5-1) that skewed the stats but didn't hurt them in the standings any more than three 2-1 defeats would have. Similarly, the Senators have given up a lot of meaningless goals in games that they won fairly easily. Pittsburgh's late fourth goal in this week's 6-4 win is an example.
Bottom line, Ottawa is over .500 in terms of available points taken, while sporting goals-against and plus-minus numbers that you'd associate with a basement dweller.
It's not always how many goals you give up, it's when.
Getting blown out the odd time or giving up a late goal is not a phenomenon unique to the Senators.

In the long run it is how many goals you give up. Sure, you can get lucky and finish 5th in the conference with a -13 goal differential, but that is a very rare freak occurence.

Anderson will likely rebound in the second half, he's not this bad. And the last game was one of the sounder defensive performances for the whole team all season, but that's just one game.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.