HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is Khabibulin making himself a tradeable asset?

Old
12-17-2011, 04:07 PM
OilerFan2457

vCash: 500
Is Khabibulin making himself a tradeable asset?

With his play this season and goaltending struggles with contending teams what would you be looking for and what teams would see for looking as a possible destination?

*This is clearly on the basis that we are out of the playoff race

OilerFan2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:18 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Perhaps, still can't imagine a team taking him with one more year left, but if he keeps it up, a Cup winning goalie at the deadline just might be movable.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
I could definitely see a team making a trade for him if he continues to keep his numbers up between now and the deadline. I wouldn't expect to get much back for him, but even with his resurgence this year, I still think it's a good idea to trade him if we can.

12-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Hoogaar23

Maybe something similar to what the Isles got for Roloson last year? An old playoff experienced goalie fetched a former 1st round minor league Dman (Ty Wishart).

Or maybe something like what we paid to get Roloson a few years ago - a 1st and what ended up being a 3rd.

Hoogaar23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Ogopogo*

And leave us with Dubnyk as the #1? God help us.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:36 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Ya, but that forces us to get another goalie in the offseason. The biggest problem I have with Bulin is he is preventing us from looking at a long run solution. If we never signed bulin for all we know we would have traded for Rask or something like that.

okgooil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Arpeggio

I'd love to grab Lindback from Nashville, since Rinne is signed for seven years. If moving Khabibulin opens up an opportunity to bring in a good young goalie, then I'd be all for it.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:39 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

there is a few problems I see

1) He has one more year left at 3.75
2) He is already showing signs of getting worn down
3) I think next season Jan 2013 we could get a second rounder and a prospect for HAbby
4) There are goalies around right now that teams could get for less then what habby gets

I do think the oilers will look to trade him next season in Jan

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, but that forces us to get another goalie in the offseason. The biggest problem I have with Bulin is he is preventing us from looking at a long run solution. If we never signed bulin for all we know we would have traded for Rask or something like that.
Rask, Schneider, Enroth or Lindback would all be pretty good options. Not sure if we could get any of them.

Will Bunz be good enough to step in in a couple of years?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:42 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
there is a few problems I see

1) He has one more year left at 3.75
2) He is already showing signs of getting worn down
3) I think next season Jan 2013 we could get a second rounder and a prospect for HAbby
4) There are goalies around right now that teams could get for less then what habby gets

I do think the oilers will look to trade him next season in Jan
I wouldnt bank on Khabbys value being that high 18 months from now.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:45 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Wrong thread.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:49 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Rask, Schneider, Enroth or Lindback would all be pretty good options. Not sure if we could get any of them.

Will Bunz be good enough to step in in a couple of years?
If our GM was Burke, Holmgren or Tallon we could probably get one of them (maybe not Schneider). With Tambellini? Not a chance in hell.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 04:51 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I wouldnt bank on Khabbys value being that high 18 months from now.
On his last year of a contract teams would not be as worried
getting him now with that 3.75 left might scare some people off

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:15 PM
OilerFan2457

I look at team like Tampa Bay and there extreme defensive system and thought he would be a fit, next year is still a problem but if you manage his time more efficiently thru the regular season I don't see it as a huge problem. We take back Roli/Garon at the deadline and maybe a prospect/2nd round pick, I would love to get Ashton but I doubt the bite on that, and think that would be a solid trade. Leaves us with a vet tandem down the stretch and reevaluate in the offseason. Can't see us getting Rask/Schneider with Khabby being involved as both teams have vet tenders.

Old
12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I'd love to grab Lindback from Nashville, since Rinne is signed for seven years. If moving Khabibulin opens up an opportunity to bring in a good young goalie, then I'd be all for it.
Lindback has surprised alot of people with his play, probably the back-up with the most potential to become a starter in this league. He's just what we need after the Khabi era.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:18 PM
oilers92

maybe wsh would take him, love of russians, proven nhl playoff player, great numbers, and very good at training the younger guys apparently if dubnyk is telling the truth

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan2457 View Post
I look at team like Tampa Bay and there extreme defensive system and thought he would be a fit, next year is still a problem but if you manage his time more efficiently thru the regular season I don't see it as a huge problem. We take back Roli/Garon at the deadline and maybe a prospect/2nd round pick, I would love to get Ashton but I doubt the bite on that, and think that would be a solid trade. Leaves us with a vet tandem down the stretch and reevaluate in the offseason. Can't see us getting Rask/Schneider with Khabby being involved as both teams have vet tenders.
I agree TBay seems like the most logical choice, pitched it in a few scenarios to TB fans and they all seemed to have zero interest in Khabby. IMO he would be a much better option than Roli, who has been god awful (and most certainly the guy we get stuck with taking back). I would think TB 3rd rder this year or TB 2nd rder next year would be added to balance out the deal.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
OilerFan2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I agree TBay seems like the most logical choice, pitched it in a few scenarios to TB fans and they all seemed to have zero interest in Khabby. IMO he would be a much better option than Roli, who has been god awful (and most certainly the guy we get stuck with taking back). I would think TB 3rd rder this year or TB 2nd rder next year would be added to balance out the deal.
I agree with you in that the fans won't agree but just look at the example of Rundblad and the Ottawa fans who were asking for the moon and the stars for him and they end up adding.

If it turned out that we were taking back Roli, IMO we would need at least a 2nd

Old
12-17-2011, 06:50 PM
OilerFan2457

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHAWKING View Post
Lindback has surprised alot of people with his play, probably the back-up with the most potential to become a starter in this league. He's just what we need after the Khabi era.
Absolutely 100% agree, having Dubnyk/Lindback tandem would be excellent that both would be around the same age and trying to establish themselves as a true No 1 NHL goalie. Healthy competition is always good. But the question is how much to get Lindback?

Old
12-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Who cares, we get an asset for Khabibulin and we ride out Dubnyk and get a good pick.

Perfect.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 06:53 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan2457 View Post
Absolutely 100% agree, having Dubnyk/Lindback tandem would be excellent that both would be around the same age and trying to establish themselves as a true No 1 NHL goalie. Healthy competition is always good. But the question is how much to get Lindback?
This reminds me of something that would've been posted when Bulin got hurt in the 2009-2010 season except with Deslauriers instead of Lindback

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

I could see him gonig back to chicago for a D prospect.

Look, the goaltending in CHI is atrocious, and there's no way Emery is starting material, esp in the playoffs. I think that we could prob get a prospect and a pick from them if we are not in playoff contention. The only problem is that they dont have a goalie prospect we can pry away, but I'm hoping for a D.

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:26 AM
timekeep

If Khabby stays healthy a team will take a chance on him. Lots of injuries in today's NHL and the salary is only for one more year. He should be worth a prospect and a draft pick.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 01:29 AM
WoolyWhatsIt

Perhaps a team like the Lightning would like him?

I would trade Bulin along with a guy like ben eager for Steve Downie and perhaps a defensive prospect...We need more guys like steve downie on this team

WoolyWhatsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 02:07 AM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyWhatsIt View Post
Perhaps a team like the Lightning would like him?

I would trade Bulin along with a guy like ben eager for Steve Downie and perhaps a defensive prospect...We need more guys like steve downie on this team
If there is value coming back, and we completely out the running then for sure.

Yan Danis is doing really really well in the AHL. Deserves a crack Imo ... at least to finish the season. The Barons would still have David Leneveu whos been equally good. They shouldn't miss a beat without Danis.

Patch101 is offline   Reply With Quote