HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Players care about the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2004, 04:18 PM
flyersrock1

vCash: 500
Do the Players care about the NHL?

www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=100099

They are getting paid so why will they ever give anything up? Bring on the scaps. Lets see some NHL hockey even if it is not the top players. They are all going else where any way.

Old
09-27-2004, 07:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I really think the players have been reasonable. As Guerin said, "If somebody offered you 9 mill a year, wouldn't you take it?" The owners have gotten themselves into the mess and now they refuse to listen to some reasonable luxury tax proposals and insist on the absurd 31 mill hard cap. I think the players do care, but they can make a lot of money elsewhere and play a better brand of hockey. If the play in the NHL wasn't such complete crap, I think players might miss it more, but with all the clutching/grabbing that has plagued the NHL game the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of skill players were glad of the break.

I think they care because they used to be fans themselves and I don't think they are the greedy people that a lot of people make them out to be. For every Kovalev or Niedermayer, there are plenty of guys that keep their mouths shut and might be all right with a pay cut. I think the players are sensible in saying that a 31 mill hard cap would just create a lot of problems for many teams.

As for replacement players, no way!

Old
09-27-2004, 08:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersrock1
www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=100099

They are getting paid so why will they ever give anything up? Bring on the scaps. Lets see some NHL hockey even if it is not the top players. They are all going else where any way.
Scabs is not NHL hockey.

Old
09-27-2004, 08:39 PM
flyersrock1

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Scabs is not NHL hockey.
No kidding but it would brake the union. Then we would have NHL. If you are making 1.5 million a year on the 4th line or as 6 dman. That's enought to live on. Its time for the union to get real.

Old
09-27-2004, 10:06 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Scabs is not NHL hockey.
It might be close obviously 4th liners have some skills because they put up some points down there. If they all got 20 minutes a night some might manage 50 points or so. Marty Murray for example had some skills playing here he was just always in a crappy role except when he got to play with JR and Amonte for a 10 game stretch and put up some decent points.

Old
09-27-2004, 10:27 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I really think the players have been reasonable. As Guerin said, "If somebody offered you 9 mill a year, wouldn't you take it?" The owners have gotten themselves into the mess and now they refuse to listen to some reasonable luxury tax proposals and insist on the absurd 31 mill hard cap. I think the players do care, but they can make a lot of money elsewhere and play a better brand of hockey. If the play in the NHL wasn't such complete crap, I think players might miss it more, but with all the clutching/grabbing that has plagued the NHL game the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of skill players were glad of the break.

I think they care because they used to be fans themselves and I don't think they are the greedy people that a lot of people make them out to be. For every Kovalev or Niedermayer, there are plenty of guys that keep their mouths shut and might be all right with a pay cut. I think the players are sensible in saying that a 31 mill hard cap would just create a lot of problems for many teams.

As for replacement players, no way!
You make some good points. A $31 million hard cap is not realistic. But some of your points I have to disagree with. To think NHL players could make more money elsewhere and play a better brand of hockey doing it is way off base. If that were the case, they'd be doing it already, NHL or no NHL. The reason players from Europe flock to play in North America is because it's the best league in the world and they make 5-6 times here what they would earn overseas.
Second, the players are just not realistic about the state of the game right now. Guerin's right: anyone would be dumb to refuse a $9 million salary. However, the economic realities are such that no hockey player is worth a $9 million salary. The revenues generated by the sport in all but a few towns simply cannot support it. The players very wrongly believe their salaries should be on par with that of NBA and NFL players. That's ridiculous. When their sport generates the kind of money the NFL and NBA do, then they can make that claim. And, keep in mind those two leagues - both the most successful and most competitive in major sports - both live with a salary cap. The owners are finally coming to realize that. The players had better do so soon or the game they claim to love so much will be all but dead in many NHL cities.

Last edited by CarlRacki: 09-27-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old
09-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Brad*

To answer your original question, Yes, I think most players really do care about the NHL and the game of hockey. Aside from a few exception most NHL players got to this level with alot of hard work; hard work which would not have been possible without a love for the game.

This is a messy situation which will require concessions by both sides to get done. I'm not going to place blame on just one side, they both have to work things out.

Old
09-28-2004, 08:12 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlRacki
You make some good points. A $31 million hard cap is not realistic. But some of your points I have to disagree with. To think NHL players could make more money elsewhere and play a better brand of hockey doing it is way off base. If that were the case, they'd be doing it already, NHL or no NHL. The reason players from Europe flock to play in North America is because it's the best league in the world and they make 5-6 times here what they would earn overseas.
Second, the players are just not realistic about the state of the game right now. Guerin's right: anyone would be dumb to refuse a $9 million salary. However, the economic realities are such that no hockey player is worth a $9 million salary. The revenues generated by the sport in all but a few towns simply cannot support it. The players very wrongly believe their salaries should be on par with that of NBA and NFL players. That's ridiculous. When their sport generates the kind of money the NFL and NBA do, then they can make that claim. And, keep in mind those two leagues - both the most successful and most competitive in major sports - both live with a salary cap. The owners are finally coming to realize that. The players had better do so soon or the game they claim to love so much will be all but dead in many NHL cities.
Note I said that they can make a lot of money, not more money. But consider the RSL, salaries there aren't tax deductable, so I guy like Drozdetsky would need to make about 2 million in NA to have that be on par with his 800,000 RSL salary. The NHL isn't as wide-open as some of the leagues in Europe, like it or not and it's quality of play is worse than leagues such as the WHL, QMJHL, and OHL. It's only a few guys that are holding out for 5-8 mill or whatever, I think most of the FA's are trying to play their cards wisely and wait till after the CBA, I don't think they will hold out for big money, they will take what's given them. Yashin is just an exception to the rule.

The NBA is definitely not successful, they are beginning to run into big problems and I think they will be looking at a labor dispute after this season. The MLB and NFL are the two biggest leagues, but the MLB luxury tax or whatever is a joke (180 mill payroll for NYY) and the NFL "cap" isn't much better. When you learn how to manage the cap in the NFL, it doesn't really prevent you from signing big name FA's although it's not as bad as it could be. I think a luxury tax that actually gives teams who go over the cap significant penalties would be good.

Old
09-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Steve L*

Players dont care about the NHL, otherwise why would they be going to play in the WHA which has.......a salary cap.

They care about themselves and lining their own pockets only.

If they cared about the NHL and people losing their jobs then they would have admitted they made out like bandits in the last CBA and give something back this time.

Old
09-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Jester

players care about the game and the league, probably more than the owners. the owners care about making money off of the game and the league. does that mean the owners are bad guys? no. if all the owners are losing money then the league is a moot point because no one is going to be owning teams.

the 31 million dollar cap is idiotic. i'm a proponent of a cap, but it should be closer to 40 or so... or a luxury tax in the 35-40 range. the problem that no one is discussing is that what is going on is more about owner v. owner than the owners v. the players.

there is no way teams like the flyers, rangers, etc. are proponents of a 31 million dollar cap, they just aren't. Snider has already stated that he would like to see a NBA-style system setup in the NHL, prior to the 1 million dollar fine being instituted on management. the problem is that Bettman negotiated into his contract that he only needs 8 owners to support his action, well there are definitely 8 cheap owners that are all for a harsh cap world(Bill Wurtz anyone?). so they are the ones driving the ship at the moment because Bettman lives in this idiotic world where he thinks everyone needs to be brought down to the lowest possible level.

Bettman tries to avoid criticism on his expansion policy, but that policy is specifically why a cap so low is necessary to equalize the playing field. a team like Nashville is NEVER going to have the ability to create the revenue stream necessary to compete with the big boys w/out that 31 million dollar cap. simply put in every league there are the have's and the have-nots... even in the NFL, look at Arizona.

well run franchises should be rewarded for being well run, and poorly run franchises should be punished for not being well run. so Bettman needs to grow up and realize that he created franchises in markets that it will take 30 plus years to build major fan bases(philly for example), and until then those organizations are going to struggle financially because the markets were not immediately viable. as Damien Cox pointed out the only expansion teams of the 90's that can be said to be unqualified successes are the Sharks and the Wild(no brainer).

you screwed yourself and the leage Bettman. some cost certainty is necessary to level the viable franchises that can operate easily in the mid 40's, but you shouldn't be forcing the end of hockey in good markets because of the crappy markets.

Closed Thread