HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sully Copy & Paste Column about Pegula firing everyone

Old
12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

vCash: 500
Sully Copy & Paste Column about Pegula firing everyone

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle679473.ece

I love how Jerry updates his take to include new information from this season to back up his idea.

Oh yeah.....

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I was happy to see this not posted when I came in here this morning, and was hoping that we'd turned over a new leaf and would henceforth be ignoring everything that comes from the Two Stooges. Why'd you have to ruin it, JB?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:08 AM
BuzzKillington90

I don't read anything Jerry Sullivan writes.

Period.

BuzzKillington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I was happy to see this not posted when I came in here this morning, and was hoping that we'd turned over a new leaf and would henceforth be ignoring everything that comes from the Two Stooges. Why'd you have to ruin it, JB?
I was going to throw it in the rebuild thread and say "If Sully agrees with you, you might want to re-think your position."

Old
12-20-2011, 09:11 AM
HiddenInLight

That read like it was written by a member from this forum. Made me laugh that facts get ignored and misrepresented. Buffalo news = new hockey forum?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

It's embarrassing.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Not as bad as some other stuff I've seen out of him and Gleason, but still pretty bad nonetheless.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:21 AM
omglolnub

The first half was alright, but nothing new. Then, holy non sequitur batman! The tirade against Miller. Just unprofessional :

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Trolls gonna troll.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Bwhahhaa.

Your journalists are nearly as idiotic as my local here are.
Nearly.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:48 AM
puckish66

You all might not like the messenger, but the message is pretty much spot on. How many of Jerry's main points are even debatable?

"I thought Pegula needed to change the team's competitive culture. ... But the entrenched leadership of the team remained in place, along with a core of players who are going on five years without a playoff series win."

"There's no culture of accountability in that operation. This is the 15th year of Regier and Ruff. It's a culture of contentment, in which people become too comfortable, and it trickles down to the players."

"I don't want to hear about injuries. Everyone has injuries. The core of this team is stale."

"There's no longer any justification for treating Miller like a franchise goalie, an untouchable."

Sounds like it took a football/basketball guy to finally nail it. Good for him.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
You all might not like the messenger, but the message is pretty much spot on. How many of Jerry's main points are even debatable?

"I thought Pegula needed to change the team's competitive culture. ... But the entrenched leadership of the team remained in place, along with a core of players who are going on five years without a playoff series win."

"There's no culture of accountability in that operation. This is the 15th year of Regier and Ruff. It's a culture of contentment, in which people become too comfortable, and it trickles down to the players."

"I don't want to hear about injuries. Everyone has injuries. The core of this team is stale."

"There's no longer any justification for treating Miller like a franchise goalie, an untouchable."

Sounds like it took a football/basketball guy to finally nail it. Good for him.
It's more about the unprofesssional nature of the rant in the 2nd half of this column. I think most of us are coming aroudn to the fact that a change needs to be made. Does that mean blow the team to ****, taking out Regeir, Ruff, and their starting goalie? No, it doesn't.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 09:54 AM
HiddenInLight

The first point is a bit off. Any smart buisness man takes time to allow his own guys to do a close evaluation of what he has before attempting to make huge changes. In hockey it takes time to closely evaluate the ups and downs of a team. You can't decide what needs to be done over a 10 game stretch. He will take the season and probably leave the leadership together until the offseason then make the necisary changes. He didn't become a billionaire by making kneejerk decisions like that.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:10 AM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

hmmm. I hate the anti-miller rants referring to him as "petulant" and what not. I am not a fan of millers attitude towards his own play, as it sometimes seems that he is full of excuses, but c'mon, Jerry. Let's pretend to be a consummate professional, especially when you are trying to call someone else out for not being so.

That said, something may need to be changed. I know the injuries have been a huge issue since mid November, but can we agree that there have been some lackluster play before then? I am hesitant to say fire everyone, but a big trade of one core guy, stafford would be ideal, might shake things up a little.

Off topic, and no one in here has said it that I am aware of, but I am tired of hearing people say "trade Roy." Why are we going to get rid of our second line center, who can sub in for a first line C, when we are already weak in that position?

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Jame
Dream '16

I love the side of the fan base that is finally starting to realize that big changes are needed... but still feels the need to defend the things that need changing.

still gotta wear that hat

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:

It's not debatable that Sullivan is repeating himself.

And yeah, Pegula didn't fire the GM and the head coach to placate Sullivan.

But, given that Pegula has owned the team less than a year and he explained pretty reasonably why he was keeping Lindy and Darcy, I'd love to know what new ammo Sullivan has here other than "these two haven't won anything so let's change for change sake....".

Quote:
Says the guy that has been at The Buffalo News how long?

I'm sure that The Buffalo News is the standard for holding people accountable.

Hence the material that Sullivan, Gleason, and others continue to shovel without being held accountable themselves.

And as far as accountability within the team goes, didn't Myers get benched for a game?

Hasn't Miller been called out by the owner?

That seems to be a lot more accountability than at The Buffalo News Sports Dpeartment.

Quote:
How many other teams have missed 9 skaters for a game this year?

How many other teams have missed over 100 man games to injuries to this point in the season?

Not every team has injuries like the Sabres have this season. To completely discount that fact is laughable.

Quote:
Ruff referred to Miller and Enroth as 1 and 1A earlier in the year.

The owner has called out Miller publicly.

And IF Gleason was correct and the Sabres were talking about moving Miller in a deal for Ryan, isn't that Exhibit A that Miller isn't untouchable?

Old
12-20-2011, 10:35 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
It's not debatable that Sullivan is repeating himself.

And yeah, Pegula didn't fire the GM and the head coach to placate Sullivan.

But, given that Pegula has owned the team less than a year and he explained pretty reasonably why he was keeping Lindy and Darcy, I'd love to know what new ammo Sullivan has here other than "these two haven't won anything so let's change for change sake....".

Says the guy that has been at The Buffalo News how long?

I'm sure that The Buffalo News is the standard for holding people accountable.

Hence the material that Sullivan, Gleason, and others continue to shovel without being held accountable themselves.

And as far as accountability within the team goes, didn't Myers get benched for a game?

Hasn't Miller been called out by the owner?

That seems to be a lot more accountability than at The Buffalo News Sports Dpeartment.

How many other teams have missed 9 skaters for a game this year?

How many other teams have missed over 100 man games to injuries to this point in the season?

Not every team has injuries like the Sabres have this season. To completely discount that fact is laughable.

Ruff referred to Miller and Enroth as 1 and 1A earlier in the year.

The owner has called out Miller publicly.

And IF Gleason was correct and the Sabres were talking about moving Miller in a deal for Ryan, isn't that Exhibit A that Miller isn't untouchable?
You are forgetting that facts don't apply to people like him.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:36 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I love the side of the fan base that is finally starting to realize that big changes are needed... but still feels the need to defend the things that need changing.

still gotta wear that hat
It's less about defending the things that need to be changing than calling out Sullivan for a really lazy column.

There is a strong case to be made that there needs to be changes. I just think that this column reads too much like the same one Sullivan wrote when Pegula was about to take over.

Things have changed since Pegula took over. Sullivan was too lazy to put a fresh face on a tired take from himself.

That's what I'm calling out here.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Man, I'll bet Sully is LOVING this slump we're in.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Basically a piece that appeals to the masses and offers little in terms of solutions. Bouncing Ruff at this point is the only easy solution and when did Regier become the posterboy for "easy"?

12-20-2011, 10:44 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
They've run Bills decision makers out of town when it was needed. This helps.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:46 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
They've run Bills decision makers out of town when it was needed. This helps.
Yeah, because the Bills got so much better when Marv Levy replaced Tom Donahoe as the GM.

Be carefuly what you wish for........

The key is not just replacing Regier and Ruff. It's finding people who will do a better job than they have.

Old
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Man, I'll bet Sully is LOVING this slump we're in.
I know he does, but not for the reasons you would believe.

He actually would like to see a winner here in Buffalo. If this type of poor performance forces the necessary changes, then you can bet he's not the only one that will be happy.

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:57 AM
HiddenInLight

I don't think I have ever seen Sully say good things about the sabres or thr bills its always: Sure they are good now but the crash is coming...or were good now but I'm gonna complain anyways.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Afino
The Juice

Lesson as always, Sully?

Stick to talking about your ****** golf game instead of making Buffalo's sports teams sound even worse than they already are.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote