HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to deal with compulsive "leaners" at games

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Jedgi

vCash: 500
How to deal with compulsive "leaners" at games

The other day I was at the Nashville game with a couple other people, and the couple in front of us kept leaning forward. After about 5 minutes into the game I politely asked them if they could scoot back so we could see (without leaning forward). They did, but they made a huff about it, and forgot about 10 minutes later when they started leaning forward again. I tried to be polite again, but they seemed to be even more offended.

This continued a couple more times throughout the game and even and they even left for the last 5 minutes of the 2nd period when my friend asked them to lean back.

This does not usually happen, usually the people don't continue leaning forward after asking them nicely once. But if this does happen, could I handle it differently? What do you guys think?

Old
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I have this problem basically every game, since the seats in front of me are not STH. And I still haven't found a solution.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:14 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I have this problem basically every game, since the seats in front of me are not STH. And I still haven't found a solution.
At the Nashville game as well and had the same problem with a Mom and her geeky looking son. Obviously no one listens to or at least adheres to the pre-game 1 minute video speal from the Caps players about proper fan etiquette at games.

Old
12-23-2011, 11:44 AM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Be taller. Problem solved.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:07 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Be taller. Problem solved.
I know right? I don't have that problem and I'm only 6'.

I keeed I keeed.

I have found a muddle stick quite useful at games along with a good kick to the backs of their heads. I also use the accidental beer spill down their back method and then immediately spin around and yell at the guy behind me.

For all you pacifists or polite people, persistence is really the only way to handle it.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:26 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

Mustard dripping on their back always works as a long term solution.

Old
12-23-2011, 12:45 PM
Jedgi

This year for me this issue has been especially bad, perhaps the STHs from last year are no longer there, that's what it seems like.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Hale Dunter

This may not be a popular opinion, but here goes.

I will sit however I like and so long as I am not doing anything "unusual", you can like or lump it.

I should not be required to sit bolt upright like some kind of robot just because the arena is ill designed. I didn't design it.

I am entitled to sit in whatever reasonable and customary position as I see fit. And I will continue to do so.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Then expect me to kindly ask for you to not obstruct my view.

Old
12-23-2011, 01:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
This may not be a popular opinion, but here goes.

I will sit however I like and so long as I am not doing anything "unusual", you can like or lump it.

I should not be required to sit bolt upright like some kind of robot just because the arena is ill designed. I didn't design it.

I am entitled to sit in whatever reasonable and customary position as I see fit. And I will continue to do so.
It's not reasonable if it obstructs the view of the people behind you, and it's not customary if they specifically tell you not to do it before the game.

Old
12-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Hale Dunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
It's not reasonable if it obstructs the view of the people behind you, and it's not customary if they specifically tell you not to do it before the game.
What if I am 6'5" tall?

Your choice, if you don't like the product you have purchased (an obstructed view seat) is not to purchase it.

If a person has their rear end in the seat, I just dont see where people have cause to be ordering them how to sit.

Old
12-23-2011, 03:10 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

It doesn't matter how tall you are. Leaning forward in your seat obstructs the view of the people behind you more than not doing so. If you're 6'5", then you're blocking people two and three rows behind you instead of just one.

Do I really have to explain what an obstructed view seat is for you? Nobody could possibly know at the time of purchase that the person in front of them is going to change their seating position in such a way that it blocks their view. Get real.

Nobody's ordering anybody to do anything. It's common courtesy, which you and many others, especially around here, seem to lack.

Last edited by ChibiPooky: 12-23-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Robert Theodorson

I'm a leaner, but it's just because I'm on the end of my seat because I'm usually really into the game.

You might want to grow some

Old
12-23-2011, 03:26 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale Dunter View Post
What if I am 6'5" tall?

Your choice, if you don't like the product you have purchased (an obstructed view seat) is not to purchase it.

If a person has their rear end in the seat, I just dont see where people have cause to be ordering them how to sit.
On the other hand, people probably make purchases expecting the people around them to follow the rules. And insofar as the "no leaning" policy has become a rule... yeah, there is an expectation.

Up to you (either as the leaner or the obstructee) to decide how far you're going to take it, of course, but since they can kick you out for just about anything they could probably enforce it if they really wanted to. At that point it doesn't matter whether people have "cause" to complain about it.

Old
12-23-2011, 04:12 PM
SDBondra

Ask once nicely. If they don't listen, deal with it. It sucks but there's really nothing else you can do about it. Most hockey fans are pretty considerate.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I think its hilarious that leaners think they see the ice better. The change in viewing angle / being closer is close to nil. For the money spent trying to get the mustard out at the cleaners, just buy a closer seat and sit back. A little beer down the butt crack is always good for a laugh.

I read the title: How to deal with compulsive "learners" at games. Teach me the game types. Crap we missed a goal talking.

Old
12-23-2011, 06:28 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Y'all can't play nice.