HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps vs Preds - Verizon Center - 7pm - 12/20/11

Old
12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Of this new Hunter regime...Jim Johnson could very well end up being the best hire of the two.
You figure Johnson know's exactly what he wants in his defenseman. That's why when folks throw out names like Gleason and Beauchamin, they may be the physical d-men that a lot of us like, but they may not be of the style that Johnson has in mind i.e. quickness (reaction, thinking and of course speed). Will be interesting to see how they proceed regarding d-men come both the draft and free agency.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
A priceless grimace on Sarge’s face when Comcast showed a close-up of JJ giving him a spirited in-game tutorial on the bench in front of his D dogs!

Cheers to JJ/DFH for immediately yanking him off the ice and smacking his nose with a newspaper when he doesn’t execute the system properly... Either way something will good will come of this.
Has to be experiencing one of the longest battles of mononucleosis in medical history. Just hasn't been the same since before the illness . . . or has he.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
romao

For those who asked. By my calculation since Hunter hiring Caps' killed 88.2% penalties, that's top-5 in the league, taking into account only games played since Nov 29.

romao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
coyote

ward a better passer

again, can someone tell me why they are paying him 3 mil

coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:52 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
And he may not be here long.
Can you elaborate on this?

You think he will leave or someone will offer him a head coaching gig or...?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Yeah, Schultz has no place on this team. Trade him, waive him just get him the **** out of here.
some of us have been saying this since before (and during) +50.....where are all the defenders saying "you just dont notice him" or "he does all the little things that go un-noticed"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:55 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Looked like OV was jumping the play a little bit more, moving his feet to get ahead of the back checkers, which gave him much more time and space. He was able to do it since we were breaking the puck out well, and I see no problem with him continuing to do that if our breakouts are good. He will score much more if he continues to do so.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:30 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Hasn't really been discussed, but Ovy had 7 SOG last night, only one missed shot, and not many blocked (can't find a stat on that). His moves down the left wing were actually *gasp* working. How many shots through defenseman's legs did he actually get on net?

That bodes extremely well for his immediate future, IMO.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:33 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Hasn't really been discussed, but Ovy had 7 SOG last night, only one missed shot, and not many blocked (can't find a stat on that). His moves down the left wing were actually *gasp* working. How many shots through defenseman's legs did he actually get on net?

He was getting a ton on his shots, and he looked like he was aiming 5-hole quite a bit. Which must help for keeping them on net.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:37 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I felt like ovi got some of the lightest defensive coverage he's had in years. 1 on 1 he wasn't played tight and I don't think he drew a double team all night.

Whatever though. If that gets him going so much the better.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:42 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Free Ovi!

I saw Ovi in a lot of single coverage last night, that LD wasn't sliding over. He was no where to be found, actually, like Ovi was stretching the play, before the double could happen. No forward pressing from the top. Any one else notice? That is how I saw him get so many shots last night.

There is nothing wrong with his game, other than lack of proven ways on how to beat doubles, hell triples most rushes. The key to beating doubles is, don't skate into them I guess. Another is, let the center lug the puck, criss cross drop pass.... yeah who isn't liking MJ's creativity on how to get pucks to the gunners. Head for MJ, he will get it in your wheelhouse. The last way to beat the double, D men on the same page as the forwards on breakout; beat them in transition before they setup.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Free Ovi!

I saw Ovi in a lot of single coverage last night, that LD wasn't sliding over. He was no where to be found, actually, like Ovi was stretching the play, before the double could happen. No forward pressing from the top. Any one else notice? That is how I saw him get so many shots last night.

There is nothing wrong with his game, other than lack of proven ways on how to beat doubles, hell triples most rushes. The key to beating doubles is, don't skate into them I guess. Another is, let the center lug the puck, criss cross drop pass.... yeah who isn't liking MJ's creativity on how to get pucks to the gunners. Head for MJ, he will get it in your wheelhouse.
IMO, the line juggling had EVERYTHING to do with the light coverage on 8. Laich pounding through the middle with speed, Brouwer consistently making the D pay a price and both of those guys winning board/puck battles gave the D a lot more to worry about than just Ovi. You could see the Preds Dmen rimming the puck and Ovi having space to retrieve it and turn for the net without having to scrum, which isn't his strong suit. Would love to see that evolve into more of a cycle where one of 21 or 20 consistently heads for the net for rebounds, especially if Ovi's working on shooting low.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

It also helps being separated from Backstrom and Semin - forces teams to choose who to send their top pair against. Nashville chose Backstrom's line and as a consequence Ovechkin had Josi on him most of the night.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:20 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Those line shakeups Dale did can't be overlooked. I wonder if the tweets from Kettler "we dont know what the lines are", helped. But I remember quite a few quality chances by Ovi where Laich and Brouwer were yet not to be found. Like on his goal. That was the Ovi of old in 1 on 1 coverage, stretching the ice. I will watch more for him having more room next game from solid board work from Laich and Braü.

Was that ex cap John Blum that came out of retirement last night to try and help cover Ovi?

Old
12-21-2011, 02:30 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Can you elaborate on this?

You think he will leave or someone will offer him a head coaching gig or...?
The latter. Who knows. Seems like a guy I'd interview and look into if I were a gm.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Add another vote for Ovie's production last night as a result of lesser defensive coverage. He was facing single coverage against Blum and Josi last night rather than Weber + a backchecker covering Ovie and Suter covering the cross-ice passing lane. I wouldn't read too much into his play last night unless more teams are willing to put their lower pairing guys against Ovie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
some of us have been saying this since before (and during) +50.....where are all the defenders saying "you just dont notice him" or "he does all the little things that go un-noticed"
I was one of the bigger supporters of Schultz over the past 18 months, somewhat just as a counterbalance to some of the unwarranted ire he was drawing. That being said, he has struggled mightily under JJ.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:37 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Those line shakeups Dale did can't be overlooked. I wonder if the tweets from Kettler "we dont know what the lines are", helped. But I remember quite a few quality chances by Ovi where Laich and Brouwer were yet not to be found. Like on his goal. That was the Ovi of old in 1 on 1 coverage, stretching the ice. I will watch more for him having more room next game from solid board work from Laich and Braü.

Was that ex cap John Blum that came out of retirement last night to try and help cover Ovi?
HAHA!

You're right on Ovi's goal and some of his chances, but I yeah, next game, watch the far corner battles. Ovi got about three separate clean looks from 21 and 20 putting pressure on the off-wing D.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:42 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I am not sure that Sarge has played enough to even have struggled over a big enough sample size to say for certain. They more yanked him off the ice and put him back in school.

I think Dale has been seeing what many have seen over the years, a big positional sound defensemen with good stick work, but whose development had plateaued too early for a guy of his ilk. What is the peak age of dmen, 30? I have seen his game regressing, and to be honest, he never looked comfortable in the playoffs to me. He had a few steady games versus Montreal.

Dale expects more from him, much like many that have dogged him over the years.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
I am not sure that Sarge has played enough to even have struggled over a big enough sample size to say for certain. They more yanked him off the ice and put him back in school.

I think Dale has been seeing what many have seen over the years, a big positional sound defensemen with good stick work, but whose development had plateaued too early for a guy of his ilk. What is the peak age of dmen, 30? I have seen his game regressing, and to be honest, he never looked comfortable in the playoffs to me. He had a few steady games versus Montreal.

Dale expects more from him, much like many that have dogged him over the years.
If JJ and DH can turn 55 into a useful Dman then they truly would be miracle workers.

Old
12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Agreed. Randy kind of talked about elsewhere. Nash relied on weber to get out there and control ovi. There forwards didn't have much back pressure, hunts did a good job getting him vs non-weber d, and ovi altered his attacking positions.

The goal was vs Blum. Shot on pp was good movement after a series of passing and possession, the had one through a d legs, and one cross from lw to slot... Can't remember other 3.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

I like Semin playing with Backstrom. Ovie can create his own shot and I think the benefit of Semin getting set up by backstrom out weighs the advantage of him and Ovechkin. and I sometime feels Backstrom gives up to many good shots to try to feed Ovie. so maybe Backstrom will come into his own being top player on his line.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
tycoonheart

Maybe keep switching Nicky between 1st line and 2nd line every now and then? Maybe thats how you keep both Ovi and Semin motivated... I dunno. I'm kind of excited to see more of the 90-19-28 line. They were pretty impressive last night.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Bananas

I've been wanting backstrom and Ovie on different lines for a while. This is a good game. The Caps are the only big ticket team and town and for our collective sanity they absolutely cannot go down the *******.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
I like Semin playing with Backstrom. Ovie can create his own shot and I think the benefit of Semin getting set up by backstrom out weighs the advantage of him and Ovechkin. and I sometime feels Backstrom gives up to many good shots to try to feed Ovie. so maybe Backstrom will come into his own being top player on his line.
Good points - Semin played some of his best hockey for the Caps in the playoffs against Philly in 07-08 when he was with Backstrom and Laich, and again in 08-09 when Fedorov would center Ovechkin.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:42 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I was one of the bigger supporters of Schultz over the past 18 months, somewhat just as a counterbalance to some of the unwarranted ire he was drawing. That being said, he has struggled mightily under JJ.
I guess IMO it hasnt been that he has struggled under JJ, he just isnt given much of a chance to go out and be the completely average at best player he is

My question to all 55 supporters remains the same.....what part of his game have you seen the he can realistically develop to make him a better player?

he wont be fast/quick
he wont deveolp offensive instincts, although I like his quick decsions at the point
he wont become a mean player how takes people out with his size

what will he grow into?

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote