2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2011, 11:20 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
2012 NHL Draft Talk

This is NOT a "fail for Nail" thread.

I've been browsing some of the other teams boards and realize that many of them have a healthy dialog regarding the upcoming NHL draft.

Now we all know about Yakupov, and Girgerenko, and Murray, Dumba, etc.

But I'll bet we have a wealth of people on our board who live in junior cities, or in other countries in Europe who could fill us in on some of the other names we might not know as much about.

Can we talk about some of the guys not in the top 10 that people like? how about guys in rounds 2+ that people have been impressed with? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:25 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
If we end up with a #10-#20 pick, we might be able to draft Alex Galchenyuk. He was expected to go in the top five, but a torn ACL injury has cost him to miss the entire year. He might be available in the middle of the 1st round.

In the second round, I hope we get Tanner Pearson.

Old
12-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

With regards to Galchenyuk, he mights slip but as Connolly proved (only played I think 8-9 games his draft year) teams will take a chance on an injured guy regardless if they think he has the talent.

And if Pearson keeps scoring and has a good WJC he can very easily go first round. There is a precedent for previously passed over guys going 1st round (Perron, Lewis are two of the top of my head), and with the WJC appearance he is much more talked about than either of those two were.

I am a draft guy, which is how I got on hockey future's message boards to begin with, but I usually start getting to know the prospects outside the top 5/10 after the WJC due to the volatile nature of scouting. One guy to keep an eye of is Martin Frk from the Czech Republic. He played really well in last's year's WJC and is playing again this year and is draft eligible this year. Good size, physical, with a decent offensive sense, I was really impressed last year.

EDIT: Did not know Frk has been injured most of the year. Do not quote me that he will be playing in WJC. I really really hope he is though since I am going to the CAN-CZE game on the 27th, I will let you know.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 12-20-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old
12-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Links to some some current pre-draft rankings:

Craig Button
ISS
NHL Central Scouting (not as up to date as the others)

--

We sit with the 13th pick overall today, assuming no great drop off in play I'd think we'll be picking 10th-16th or so. Going by our organizational strengths/weakness's it would be ideal if there was a forward who dropped down to us. Galchenyuk and Frk are both wildcard's because of their injuries, how great would it be if we end up having a strong season and still end up with a top tier prospect like Galchenyuk falling to us on draft day.

edit: haha, great minds think alike with regards to the posts above me

Old
12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

hopefully we can pick up Marcantuoni, hes sick, But really want Matt Dumba

Old
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Huffer

Anyone know anything about Zemgus Girgensons or Brendan Gaunce? Both are good sized centres that I have been hearing good things about (on other boards).

On the D side, I've been reading a lot talk on Jacob Trouba, Cody Ceci, Slater Koekkoek, and Griffin Reinhart.

Anyone out there with insight on the SEL with regards to Pontus Aberg, Sebastien Collberg, Ludvig Bystrom, or Hampus Lindholm?

Old
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
hopefully we can pick up Marcantuoni, hes sick, But really want Matt Dumba
Speaking of Matt Dumba, here's a thread on him from the prospects board. Had to go back a few pages to find it...
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=874212
I know we're pretty set at D, but this kid is very intriguing. Also, fyi, anytime you see that Renegade guy commenting on WHL players, I would advise anyone to listen as he knows his stuff pretty well.

Also, here's a draft rankings by a HF poster that does this every year. I find him more knowledgeable then your average HF poster when it comes to draftees....
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1022161

Old
12-21-2011, 01:37 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Unfortunately looks like we wont get to view Frk first hand at the WJC's. Most likely wants to use the time to recuperate rather that potentially re-aggravate his injury.

Old
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Speaking of Frk, here's a mock draft by Mathletic that has us taking Frk...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...9#post41294019

Old
12-21-2011, 03:52 PM
Sweech
COYS!

My favourites for this draft are Girgensons and Trouba.

Old
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
My favourites for this draft are Girgensons and Trouba.
Can you fill us in on them? Have you seen them?

Old
12-22-2011, 09:44 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Here's an article from Red Line Report with a little blurb about the world juniors, some risers and fallers, and their current top 10 prospects for the draft.

Old
01-07-2012, 02:59 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

After watching the WJC, two players I hope we can draft are Alessio Bertaggia (Swiss LW who plays for the Wheat Kings) and Andrei Makarov (Russian G who plays for the Saskatoon Blades and almost single-handedly won Russia the gold medal game).

Other draft eligible players currently playing in the CHL who caught my eye were:
Olli Maatta (FIN) - plays for the London Knights (OHL) - will probably be a 1st rounder, but there's an outside chance he slips to the 2nd round
Radek Faksa (CZE) - plays for the Kitchener Rangers - not sure exactly where he's going to be drafted. I've seen mock drafts where he goes as early as the 1st round or as late as the 3rd round.
Tomas Hyka (CZE) - plays for the Gatineau Olypiques (QMJHL)
Tomas Filippi (CZE) - plays for the Baie-Comeau Drakkar
Michal Cajkovsky (SVK) - plays for the Ottawa 67's (OHL)
Tanner Richard (SUI) - plays for the Guelph Storm (OHL)

Old
01-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I know it's cliche, but I'm all for the Jets taking BPA. I think that will most likely be a d-man, since the value of them in this draft is very good compared to the forwards. I still think the Jets end up with a top 10 pick, so there should be quite a lot of talent available in that area of the draft.

I like Zemgus Girgensons as a forward prospect. He plays a power forward type/2-way game. He is known for having good intangibles such as leadership and grit. Frk is skilled offensively, but needs a lot of work on his skating (average to below average). I think he'll need to work hard to recover from his concussion, that sidelined him for most of this year. He's currently playing poorly since his return, so that could be a red flag. Henrik Samuelsson is another intersting forward. He has slid a bit since the beginning of the year, but still has enough good offensive skills and size to go in the 10-20 range. Danil Zharkov is interesting to me as a possible 2nd-3rd round pick. He has good finishing ability, which is something we lack in our system. I've seen people rate him anywhere from late 1st to 3rd round pick (wild card).

As for d-men prospects, I would prefer a gritty stay at home or 2-way defender as opposed to an offensive d-man. I like Slater Koekkoek, Oli Maatta, Jacob Trouba, Morgan Reilly, Griffen Reinhart (Not sure his ceiling is as high as others), and Matt Finn. I don't see Murray or Dumba being available to us, so I don't include them on my list. Other notables Cody Ceci and Nick Ebert (who's struggling as a #1 in Windsor, but could still put it all together).

Old
01-08-2012, 04:50 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Can we get this stickied?

Old
01-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Ok, well I am tired of talking draft in the Trade Deadline thread, so here is a pre-season scouting report I found on my favourite draft eligible player.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...0-skaters-115/
Quote:
15. RW Martin Frk Halifax (QMJHL)
DOB: Oct. 05/93 | Shoots: R | Height: 6.00 | Weight: 203lbs
Martin Frk is a prospect from Czech Republic that has already completed one season with the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. He plays a very North American style game which allowed him to adapt quickly to the Q. The Mooseheads knew what they were getting when they drafted him 3rd overall in the 2010 CHL import draft and so far hes be all that was advertised. Like most players out of Europe he has great skill but Frk brings so much more. Hes a power forward that loves to hit and has a lethal shot. If he can continue to improve his two way game and drive to the net more often he should cement his status as a first-round pick and the type of versatile two-way player that would be a tremendous asset to any NHL roster.
From what I have seen of Frk this is accurate, and has him sounding like a young Dustin Brown. Big hitter, great skater, great hands, solid two way play, but sometimes lacking in drive to the net, and little bit of trouble controlling the puck in traffic. This is guy I want.

Also, this site has Girgensons listed at 6'2'' and in the WJC program he is listed as 6'3''. (From the discussion I had in the other thread). He would a very solid pickup as well.

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...0-skaters-115/
Quote:
13. LC Zemgus Girgensons Dubuque (USHL)
DOB: Jan. 05/94 | Shoots: L | Height: 6.02 | Weight: 194lbs

Old
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Frk? Buy a vowel already.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:50 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Bomber View Post
Frk? Buy a vowel already.
How exactly do you say his name anyways?

I've been calling him Martin "Frick"...no idea if that is correct or not.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
How exactly do you say his name anyways?

I've been calling him Martin "Frick"...no idea if that is correct or not.
Fairly certain that it is "Feerk".

Old
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ah, thanks.

Old
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Any good hidden gems that would be good in the later rounds? (3rd, 4th, 5th)

Old
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
... what the Frk?

Old
01-10-2012, 05:00 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
In the past few years, I've noticed a lot of the bigger steals have been European players playing in the CHL or that came over to NA to play in the CHL shortly after they were drafted. With that in mind, two guys I wouldn't mind taking in later rounds are:

Tomas Hyka (Gatineau Olympiques) - he was the player that attended the Flyers rookie camp even though he wasn't drafted by them.

Tomas Filippi (Baie-Comeau Drakkar) - I hadn't heard of him until I watched the WJC, but he looked like one of the Czech Republic's better players.

Old
01-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeshift We Are View Post
I'm not sure where he'll be taken, seeing as his draft year was last year, but Seth Griffith (London Knights) is a great looking player.

Decent enough defensively and has an outstandingly good shot. Problems are that he's on the smallish side at 5'11" and his skating is only average.

Either way, he is someone that I hope the Jets target as a later round scorer.

Old
01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Central Scouting's mid-term rankings were released today.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=610982

Closed Thread