Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I don't mind him, but I think he's got a lower ceiling compared to others in the 1st round. He kind of reminds me of our own Mark Stuart, with more offense and a better skater. He'd definitely be good value in the 30-40 range IMO.
Very well said, O really like the Stuart comparison as far as character goes for this kid.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Some guys I could see being available when we pick in the 2nd round...

Jarrod Maidens - C
Michael Matheson - D
Danil Zharkov - LW
Jake McCabe - D
Cristoval "Boo" Neives - LW/C
Hampus Lindholm - D
Nicolas Kerdiles - LW
Brian Hart - RW
Charles Hudon - LW
Mike Winther - C

Anyone have interest in any of these guys? I wouldn't mind seeing some more talk about rounds 2 and 3 either

Old
04-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Very well said, O really like the Stuart comparison as far as character goes for this kid.
Thrower also plays a physical game similar to Stuart (standing up for teammates, etc...).

Old
04-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:

Jarrod Maidens - C
Michael Matheson - D
Danil Zharkov - LW
Jake McCabe - D
Hampus Lindholm - D
Nicolas Kerdiles - LW
Brian Hart - RW
Charles Hudon - LW
Mike Winther - C

Anyone have interest in any of these guys? I wouldn't mind seeing some more talk about rounds 2 and 3 either
Would love to get more info on Lindholm. He has been getting rave reviews from Craig Button. Yeah I know its Button but he is way more spot on with his rankings than most of the other lists out there and he was touting Tervainen back in Dec when others were like "who??"

Anways, Lindholm was listed at 6'2" and 195 lbs. which is pretty big for an 18 y/o d-man and great skating but I don't know much beyond that. The way Sweden produces d-men though he should warrant a closer look.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:

Jarrod Maidens - C
Michael Matheson - D
Danil Zharkov - LW
Jake McCabe - D
Hampus Lindholm - D
Nicolas Kerdiles - LW
Brian Hart - RW
Charles Hudon - LW
Mike Winther - C

No Tanner Pearson? What about the Colt-connection?

Old
04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:

Jarrod Maidens - C
Michael Matheson - D
Danil Zharkov - LW
Jake McCabe - D
Hampus Lindholm - D
Nicolas Kerdiles - LW
Brian Hart - RW
Charles Hudon - LW
Mike Winther - C

I can't comment on these guys as I don't get to watch much CHL (but like you I would love to hear more options in the 2nd and 3rd).

I have read good things about most of those guys. McCabe seems to be climbing the ranks, and I think Button had Lindholm like 12 or 13 in one of his mocks.

Are Neives and Kerdiles the US college guys?

Hudon I've heard is a guy with as much talent as anyone in the draft. He's just not all that big. I read a poster on the prospect forum compare him to Eberle (as a comparison).

Winther I've heard is very fast. Was he his team's captain as well?

Zharkov's size sounds intriguing. There was talk of him earlier in the season, but it doesn't seem like there is much buzz anymore (could be wrong).

Old
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Anyone know much about Tomas Hyka, or if he'll get drafted/when?

He was passed over last year and Philly tried to sign him. Anyone know much about this guy, what his strengths are, if he's likely to go this year?

Old
04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
No Tanner Pearson? What about the Colt-connection?
I'm not a fan of drafting guys that high who have been passed over in past drafts. IMO to much of a red flag.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I can't comment on these guys as I don't get to watch much CHL (but like you I would love to hear more options in the 2nd and 3rd).

I have read good things about most of those guys. McCabe seems to be climbing the ranks, and I think Button had Lindholm like 12 or 13 in one of his mocks.

Hudon I've heard is a guy with as much talent as anyone in the draft. He's just not all that big. I read a poster on the prospect forum compare him to Eberle (as a comparison).

Zharkov's size sounds intriguing. There was talk of him earlier in the season, but it doesn't seem like there is much buzz anymore (could be wrong).
Kerdiles plays for the US development team (great program) and is going NCAA route. Nieves plays high school prep hockey which is (usually) a feeder program for the NCAA schools.

Not sure about the Hudon-Eberle comp. Eberle rose to late 1st round status while Hudon has dropped to 2nd to 3rd round. Both are small, skilled and shifty but Eberle palyed down low when he was in Regina and used his shiftiness to out-maneuver much bigger d-men. And he still does thatin the NHL. If Hudon plays the perimieter he may be more Nathan Gerbe than Eberle.

Mike Winther is the best pure goal scorer for Prince Albert. He's not their captain, that would be Mark McNeill (CHI's 1st round pick, 15th overall, last year). He has Eberle-like size as well.

Daniil Zharkov gets a lot of press b/c two of his teammate are Brendan Gaunce (projected 1st rounder, great size, leadership and 2 way player who can score) and Malcolm Subban (PK's younger brother and very good goalie, projected to go late 1st to late 2nd). Zharkov can finish and is not a defensive liability. Plus he chose to come to NA for his draft year which is always positive.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
2 guys I like in the 3rd would be Chris Calnan - RW and Sam Kurker - RW. Both play a tough physical game (power forward types). Jimmy Vessey could be another option. I also think Mark Jankowski - C, Stanstead High School, could be gem in the making (he's not so unknown now). I follow H-East a lot, lol.

Quote:
Yup. So is Brian Hart and Matheson.

Quote:
I like that he's had a solid 2 years of development in the QMJHL (not really a fan of the league). You're correct, he is on the smaller side 5'10" 170lbs.

Quote:
Mark McNeil is their captain (he was injured for a while though). He is very fast but also on the smaller side (5'11" 170lbs). He doesn't get a lot of hype, but he really stepped up his game when needed.

Quote:
He had some injuries this year, but he's 6'3" 200lbs right now and is very dangerous offensively. He's obviously not a complete player that uses his size or plays a 200 ft game. He needs work, but he's definitely an intriguing pick with high upside. I talked about him early on in the season as a possible 2nd round consideration, and still think it's good value if the Jets were to pick him up.

Last edited by Paradise: 04-02-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old
04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Dylan Blujus is also another mid round (3rd-4th round) player I really like. 6'3" 195lbs, plays a physical game with some offensive spark to it. A good character player, which seems to be a high priority for the Jets.

http://www.battalionhockey.com/roster/show/id/6516

Old
04-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:

I like what I hear about Nieves generally, good size and skill, not sure he'd be there in the second but I'd definitely endorse that pick.

Zharkov's a weird one to me, seem to see fair amount about him and his finishing ability especially, but his stats are pretty underwhelming in my mind.. Of course we could always take Gaunce in the first and then Zharkov in the second and have Bellville's whole first line in our system.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

The Jets seem to really like size considering their 2011 draft, so I'm not to sure we'll see them pick any players under 6'0". Of course we've seen 1 draft by this management team (multiple for their scouting team), so it's difficult to know if that will continue to be the case. The scouting department is a difficult team to get to know. They're seldom heard from or put in the spotlight, but they are the one's that hold the biggest say in who the Jets draft. Chevy gets the credit, but he gives it back to the people he trusts to make the picks...the scouting team.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
The Jets seem to really like size considering their 2011 draft, so I'm not to sure we'll see them pick any players under 6'0". Of course we've seen 1 draft by this management team (multiple for their scouting team), so it's difficult to know if that will continue to be the case. The scouting department is a difficult team to get to know. They're seldom heard from or put in the spotlight, but they are the one's that hold the biggest say in who the Jets draft. Chevy gets the credit, but he gives it back to the people he trusts to make the picks...the scouting team.
Just judging by NHL drafts that Cheveldayoff has been a part of, last year's with the Jets and the previous two years with the Blackhawks, size and North American players seem to be what we should expect. Chicago also has a few Swede's in there, but i think big, hard-nosed, north south players are what were going to see 90% of the time.

Obviously there can always be exceptions but I feel fairly confident were not going to see any of those small, speedy, high skill players that fans tend to get very enamored with.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Just judging by NHL drafts that Cheveldayoff has been a part of, last year's with the Jets and the previous two years with the Blackhawks, size and North American players seem to be what we should expect. Chicago also has a few Swede's in there, but i think big, hard-nosed, north south players are what were going to see 90% of the time.

Obviously there can always be exceptions but I feel fairly confident were not going to see any of those small, speedy, high skill players that fans tend to get very enamored with.
I agree.

If I had to describe the Jets philosophy in one quote..."tough to play against". I think there is a chance for smaller players, if they play a gritty game as well as having good character. All in all, I'm interested in seeing how the team drafts this year, so we all can have a better sense of those philosophies.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:03 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:

Jarrod Maidens - C
Michael Matheson - D
Danil Zharkov - LW
Jake McCabe - D
Hampus Lindholm - D
Nicolas Kerdiles - LW
Brian Hart - RW
Charles Hudon - LW
Mike Winther - C

Zharkov would be a great pick.

Last edited by WJG: 04-02-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old
04-02-2012, 06:21 PM
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Would love to get more info on Lindholm. He has been getting rave reviews from Craig Button. Yeah I know its Button but he is way more spot on with his rankings than most of the other lists out there and he was touting Tervainen back in Dec when others were like "who??"
Craig Button has BY FAR the worst rankings of any draft "expert" He simply takes the concensus list, moves a bunch of guys WAYY higher or WAYY lower and throws out his list to get hits, IMO. Sure maybe he picked Tervainen as one of his random moves, but he gets 90% more wrong than good. Honestly I think you know more about the draft by not reading his stuff, than by reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Anyone know much about Tomas Hyka, or if he'll get drafted/when?

He was passed over last year and Philly tried to sign him. Anyone know much about this guy, what his strengths are, if he's likely to go this year?
Hyka will be a late 2nd/early 3rd, IMO. He has great hands and great wheels. Little bit on the small side and I am not too such on his grit, but he has some great offensive tools, that's for sure. Interesting player, I want to see if Philly reaches to take him

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
I had this discussion with a friend today, and I was curious as to the general opinion here.

Do you have faith in our management to take the best player available? Especially in the event of a player falling down the board.

It seems last year that Chevy and co. were set on taking Scheifele with that pick. Obviously nobody expected Couturier to fall that far, but he did. I know you can argue all day which is the better prospect, as many of us have in the past.

What if a similar situation occurs this year, what if a guy like Forsberg who has fallen down a few lists in light of the development of a couple of other players. Will we remain dead set on which ever player they had expected to get, or do you trust management to take a player like Forsberg if he drops to us?
Don't like the implication here. Are you saying that Chevy and co did not even look at Couturier because he was ranked too high? I really really doubt that. I am sure they did their research on all the picks. Players that fall OFTEN fall for a reason. It's the nature of the draft. Each team comes in with a list, with all players ranked from #1. They will have an idea on who to take, but if a higher ranked player on their list is there, they will take it. Couturier was simply lower on the Jets list that Scheifele last year. If Forsberg is the highest guy on their list, they will take him.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Three players that I have interest in for our 2nd/3rd round picks are Sam Kurker, Brian Hart and Jake McCabe. I will be beyond thrilled if the Jets find a way to select 2 of them.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Jets
All hat, no cattle.

Galchenyuk is my favourite in this draft and the more I read about him the more I think he could become the top of this class, or at least on the same level as Yakupov. If we were to have 7/8/9th pick and he is still there at pick 5, would the Postman and our 1st be enough to jump up and grab him? Postma will probably unfortunately become redundant on our team with Buff and Enstrom and now Bogo showing some offensive upside...

Old
04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
air jett

- if chevy was in guelph recently then i wonder if he was actually scouting Scott Kosmachuk, who may be available around our pick in the second round

- I think Tom Wilson will be picked in the 20's in the first round

Old
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Wpgpage

If the Jets want to sign Toby long term would people be opposed to moving Hainsey for a late 1st? Someone like St. Louis who has been looking for a LHD. Picking 9th and 27th could walk out of the first round with Reinheart and Lindholm. Would be very tempting.

Also what are peoples thoughts on Tim Bozon would he still be there in the 3rd round? If he is there I wouldn't mind that pick at all.

Last edited by Wpgpage: 04-02-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old
04-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
If the Jets want to sign Toby long term would people be opposed to moving Hainsey for a late 1st? Someone like St. Louis who has been looking for a LHD. Picking 9th and 27th could walk out of the first round with Reinheart and Lindholm. Would be very tempting.
IMO Hainsey is not worth a 1st round pick. Especially to St.Louis who have an internal budget. They'll need the money to re-sign key RFA's like Oshie, Stewart and Perron. Now if you could workout something around Hainsey+ for Alexander Steen that could work for both teams.

Quote:
Also what are peoples thoughts on Tim Bozon would he still be there in the 3rd round? If he is there I wouldn't mind that pick at all.
I doubt he falls to the 3rd round. He'll most likely get taken in the early to mid 2nd. He's got good wheels, scoring touch and is solid defensively. He's a bit on the soft side as far as avoiding contact goes, so I'm not sure that would fit the style of play the Jets want.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:31 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Not a big fan of Bozon before the 3rd round but like Paradise said, I think it might be surprising if he were to slip that far. He's got some nice skills, but is a bit of a perimeter player.

Where do people feel Samuelsson is going to end up being taken? I've seen some who feel he is a late 1st while others think he is definitely a 2nd. He'd be another intriguing prospect to take.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:52 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I hope we take Collberg 1st round, that or Reilly

Old
04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJet View Post
I hope we take Collberg 1st round, that or Reilly
Not disagreeing with you, but may I ask why?

Collberg seems like the opposite of what we have seen from Chevy's drafting history.

Closed Thread