Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
No Name Poster
Maurice Navidad

vCash: 1060
If we draft Frk, we should all get phonetically correct jerseys...

Buff-a-lin
Feerk
Ba-go-jian

I need more sleep

Old
01-11-2012, 11:04 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Interesting thing about Frk is he's out of the Q, and we've never had a lot of luck drafting from there and have generally stayed away from players there. Will be interesting to see what Chevy's tendencies will be.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Not saying these new rankings are gospel, and we can always go off the beaten track, but it looks like Frk has taken a tumble (25).

I see Faksa and Gaunce have really moved up. Both guys are big centres (6'3", 202 lbs, and 6'2" 215). Plus, you have Girgensons as a big centre that could be available around our picks as well.

New names at the top (for me) on the Euro side as well (HERTL, POKKA, LINDHOLM)

Anyone see the sizes of the 2-4 NA goalies? 6'4", 6'5", 6'4.75".

Old
01-11-2012, 03:05 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
Based on the mid-term rankings, here is the kind of draft I would do:

1st round: Martin Frk (Halifax) or Cody Ceci (Ottawa)
2nd round: Tanner Pearson (Barrie) or Andrey Makarov (Saskatoon)
3rd round: Nikita Gusev (CSKA 2) or Tomas Hyka (Gatineau)
4th round: Alessio Bertaggia (Brandon) or Tanner Richard (Guelph)
5th round: Christoph Bertschy (Bern) or Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon)
6th round: Tomas Filippi (Baie-Comeau) or Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi)
7th round: Alex Gudbranson (Kingston) or Andrew D'Agostini (Peterborough)

I ignored guys like Galchenyuk, Samuelsson and Ebert because I think they were ranked way too low.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 200
I watch D'Agostini here in the OHL and I wouldn't use a draft pick on him, to be honest. Great kid, shows good flashes, quite small. In my opinion he won't ever make it to the NHL, maybe not even AHL full-time.

Anyway, just sayin'.

Old
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Surprised at how low Phil Di Giuseppe is ranked. He's definitely first round material.

I know I'm insanely high on the kid, but if the Jets do well enough to make the playoffs I hope they take this kid, even if they don't I hope they reach for him. There's a reason he was invited to WJC camp at only 17 and did very well during the scrimmages. Only knock on him is size, but in the league he's playing in he has proven he can log huge time against much larger and much older opposition and in my opinion out play them. Plus he's in an excellent program which really helps excel his development.

Edit: Here's a thread for him: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1020327

Some other things I quickly found: http://www.hockeyprospect.tv/search/...e%20%282012%29 , http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hock...pe_phil00.html , http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=62746

Some video:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Based on the mid-term rankings, here is the kind of draft I would do:

1st round: Martin Frk (Halifax) or Cody Ceci (Ottawa)
2nd round: Tanner Pearson (Barrie) or Andrey Makarov (Saskatoon)
3rd round: Nikita Gusev (CSKA 2) or Tomas Hyka (Gatineau)
4th round: Alessio Bertaggia (Brandon) or Tanner Richard (Guelph)
5th round: Christoph Bertschy (Bern) or Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon)
6th round: Tomas Filippi (Baie-Comeau) or Charles Hudon (Chicoutimi)
7th round: Alex Gudbranson (Kingston) or Andrew D'Agostini (Peterborough)

I ignored guys like Galchenyuk, Samuelsson and Ebert because I think they were ranked way too low.
I love having fun doing stuff like this. Although just remember we do not currently have a 4th round pick (due to the Fehr trade).

As a top three I wouldn't mind something like:

1st round: Phil Di Giuseppe (U of Michigan CCHA) or one of the other highly ranked D-men (I like most of them)
2nd round: Damon Severson (Kelowna WHL) or Teuvo Teravainen (Jokerit Jr.)
3rd round: Seth Griffith (London Knights OHL) or Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon WHL)

Last edited by Sweech: 01-11-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
01-16-2012, 01:50 PM
Huffer

Buttons January rankings are out.

As they differ from the "consensus" on HF Boards, there should be lots of discussion in the Prospects area.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Thoughts?

Old
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Never been a big fan of Button's lists but I'm happy he put Jon Gillies in the second round.

Subban and Vasilevski get all the the attention, but I think Gillies is one of the best tenders available this year. Although I am a bad judge on tenders there is just something about Gillies that screams "next level" to me. Granted I've only seen Subban a handful of times and Vasilevski and Dansk even less.

I think while everyone is complaining about having no top level tenders I think this will be an underrated year for producing NHL talent in net.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Rheged
JMFT

New from ISS

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=57124

Old
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
Just about to post that Rheged, thanks.

Really interesting mix between this and Buttons (I know Button is not all that, .....)

In the end, it looks like we should get really good players with our first two picks this year regardless.

Old
01-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Can't believe how high Athanasiou is. Are the scouts seeing something that I'm missing? It also looks like they ranked some US guys a little lower than they should be. Although they gave Trouba the top D-man ranking (which is altogether possible.)

Still don't see how Athanasiou is better than Girgensons, Galchenyuk, Di Giuseppe, Faksa, or Sissons.

Old
01-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Wpgpage

Frk below 30 on most lists now, if where at 12 and 42 hopefully we can move up in the second round and grab him. Collberg at 12 and Frk at 34ish would be great would go a long way to addressing our lack of wing depth getting a L and R handed shot on the wing.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:16 PM
mondo3

On craig's list (funny), FRK's monthly ratings have gone (sept to Jan): 10 15 20 27 36
not the progression you'd want from a draft pick.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
On craig's list (funny), FRK's monthly ratings have gone (sept to Jan): 10 15 20 27 36
Hes been injured with a concussion I believe so not fair to evaluate him on this season. There was a reason he was a top 20 on every list coming into the season.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:26 PM
mondo3

just passing on the info from his list...but wouldn't we be well advised to skip players who have had concussions as once they've had one, the likelihood of repeating is much higher?

also, is that the first release of the ISS ranking for this year? if not, does anyone have a link?

Old
01-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Here's the really important thing to remember about Craig Button. He is a complete and utter moron. No clue what he is talking about AT ALL.

Frk has been hurt all year which is why he is falling. I still think he goes 15-25 in the draft. With the way WPG is moving up lately, we will likely be too high for him.

Collberg is an interesting prospect as well. Would not mind him. Girgensons is still a great option, IMO. Faksa is an interesting prospect with good size and offensive talent as well. Still getting to up speed with most of these guys though videos and reports along with some games I can catch.

I do think people are ranking goalies way too high. I doubt that any goalie goes in the first round. Goalies are going later and later due to the unpredictable fctor and the vast number that are seemingly always available. Vasilevski is the best goalie available easily, but the russian factor on top the others will help him slide to 2nd.

Old
01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
just passing on the info from his list...but wouldn't we be well advised to skip players who have had concussions as once they've had one, the likelihood of repeating is much higher?

also, is that the first release of the ISS ranking for this year? if not, does anyone have a link?
Meh I'm a fan of grabbing fallers like Frk not everyone is but I'm all about upside and at 35isl although he will come with a lot of risk he has a ton of upside.

Also not taking this from Button he is indeed useless ISS also has him around 30 ish.

Last edited by Wpgpage: 01-17-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
01-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Frk actually really scares me.

His concussion problems actually seem very major. I mean one or two more and he could be out of hockey for good. It's that bad.

Old
01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Can't believe how high Athanasiou is. Are the scouts seeing something that I'm missing? It also looks like they ranked some US guys a little lower than they should be. Although they gave Trouba the top D-man ranking (which is altogether possible.)

Still don't see how Athanasiou is better than Girgensons, Galchenyuk, Di Giuseppe, Faksa, or Sissons.
I don't get to see these guys so I just go off of what I can read, stats, and the prospect forum here.

I don't see how Athanasiou goes above any of those guys either. I would be pissed if we took him instead of those guys.

Old
01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Frk actually really scares me.

His concussion problems actually seem very major. I mean one or two more and he could be out of hockey for good. It's that bad.
This whole draft class is one giant injury risk, I haven't been following the draft seriously for more than a few years but it sure seems like there's been an abnormally high amount of injuries to high profile draft eligible players. It'll be interesting to see how this effects draft positions when all is said and done.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
This whole draft class is one giant injury risk, I haven't been following the draft seriously for more than a few years but it sure seems like there's been an abnormally high amount of injuries to high profile draft eligible players. It'll be interesting to see how this effects draft positions when all is said and done.
But all the injuries (like Rielly, Maatta, or Galchenyuk) are all a lot easier to deal with than multiple concussions.

I do agree though, the injuries will make this years draft very interesting. There's also an overall defensive ability to this draft as there are a lot of high level d-men and good defensive forwards this year as well.

Old
01-19-2012, 07:01 PM
surixon

I would really like to get Ryan Murray, but i doubt we pick high enough to grab him. If not id like to grab Cody Ceci of the 67's. I really don't like what I'm seeing from the forwards after the top 2 or 3.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

I know I'm sounding like a broken record pumping this guys tires, but after starting the year 7gp-2g-0a-2pts and getting a concussion, Frk is back with 11gp-6g-6a-12pts since coming back from injury. Looking good.

Radek Faksa is really starting to impress me. He is solid big center, his stock is rising fast, much like Scheifele last year(in that he is a late riser, not playing style wise).

Still keeping my eye on Zemgus Girgensons, but USHL is hard to find video and info on.

The Czech's look to have a rather good draft class this year.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I know I'm sounding like a broken record pumping this guys tires, but after starting the year 7gp-2g-0a-2pts and getting a concussion, Frk is back with 11gp-6g-6a-12pts since coming back from injury. Looking good.

Radek Faksa is really starting to impress me. He is solid big center, his stock is rising fast, much like Scheifele last year(in that he is a late riser, not playing style wise).

Still keeping my eye on Zemgus Girgensons, but USHL is hard to find video and info on.

The Czech's look to have a rather good draft class this year.
Count me in on the Girgensons bandwagon. I love everything I hear about this kid. He has all the intangibles you look for in a player. Work ethic and leadership being at the forefront. He does have skill to go with all of that too. Think Rod Brind'Amour.

Don't want to get everyone's hope up or over inflate the hype machine, but there was an article from last year talking about him having "Toews like" leadership attributes.

At the rate we are going these days, we may be picking too high to take him. I honestly figure we are going to end up with a pick in the 5 - 8 range. Just my gut instinct.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Count me in on the Girgensons bandwagon. I love everything I hear about this kid. He has all the intangibles you look for in a player. Work ethic and leadership being at the forefront. He does have skill to go with all of that too. Think Rod Brind'Amour.

Don't want to get everyone's hope up or over inflate the hype machine, but there was an article from last year talking about him having "Toews like" leadership attributes.

At the rate we are going these days, we may be picking too high to take him. I honestly figure we are going to end up with a pick in the 5 - 8 range. Just my gut instinct.
Yeah, if we don't start to win on the road and/or our injury problems don't improve we very well could end up there.

At that stage we are talking about players that could fall to that spot such as Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, etc.

Closed Thread