Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 11:00 PM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Grigs will be gone before our pick. I think Trouba, Rielly or Reinhart would be great picks, assuming Teravainen is already chosen. Where will Dumba go?

Old
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
how about for 2013 Max Domi son of Tie Domi...kid has a ton of skill!

Edit: Max is only 16

Old
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
how about for 2013 Max Domi son of Tie Domi...kid has a ton of skill!

Edit: Max is only 16
Very, very good playmaker. Biggest knock right now is his size, but he's got some time to grow yet.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Ok, I think this will be my final list for the draft, if I was GM/Head Scout (which admittedly I am no scout but have seen most of the top players, highlights from plenty others, and scouting reports of some others). I have a bias towards the two things that are impossible to teach, size and hockey IQ. Skating, stickhandling, positioning, strength, speed can be taught/improved on but size and hockey IQ do not develop like other skills, those skills can't be taught. I have also separated the players into "tiers" where I think there is a drop off of talent for the first 30. So here it is.

Tier 1
1. RW Nail Yakupov - Clear #1, the has the entire package, will be an NHL star in a few years.
2. C Mikhail Grigorenko - Sliding on some lists, I don't buy it. The guy is the complete package, offense/defense, good size, skates well, I think he will be a player.
3. D Ryan Murray - Rounding the first "tier" of players for me is Murray who is just a smart, smooth defenseman. He will be solid player as soon as next year, he has great upside as twoway defenseman. Not overly physical, but smart, never out of position, great first pass, pretty much no weaknesses here.
Tier 2
4. RW Filip Forsberg - Another player with high hockey IQ, Forsberg plays a strong puck protection game with good speed and great instincts. I think his game will translate really well to the NHL.
5. C Alex Galchenyuk - I am not sold completely on Galchenyuk. He has unreal hands, smooth player, but for some reason I keep thinking "Sam Gagner" with this guy. Not sure how his game will translate to NHL, much as Gagner has not been able to become a true top 6 center.
6. C Radek Faksa - I realize that I am biased towards this guy, but I just love the skill set here. His size, skating, hands and hockey IQ are just so so good, I love the way he projects for the NHL game. I don't like the Hanzal comparaisons I keep hearing since I think Faksa has loads more offensive potential, maybe a more physical but not as smooth skating Kopitar type. I am really really hoping the Jets take him.
7. D Jacob Trouba - Yup, I think that this guy is the 2nd best defenseman in the draft. He is a very smart player, very safe, but with plenty of skill to develop into an elite player. He is not somebody you throw in the lineup next year or 3, but he has fantastic upside.
8. LW Teuvo Teravainen - I think he is gaining a little more traction than he should (people are talking top 5 for him now), but he has a very high hockey IQ, very elusive player with great hands. Is an offensive first guy, but his offensive ceiling is very high.
9. D Griffin Reinhart - Has the size and skill needed but the big question is whether the drive is there. His inconsistency and shyness for consistent physical play at his size is somewhat concerning, but he would far be from the first junior player to overcome that. He has Norris potential, but might not be more than a 5/6, high risk, high reward player.
Tier 3
10. D Morgan Reilly - His smooth skating and nice passing make him attractive, but I am not sold on his longterm potential as a twoway defenseman. His defensive game needs work.
11. D Matthew Dumba - I have little love for him. He strikes me as a junior player, somebody who depends on skating and physicality that will not translate well to the pro game.
12. C Brendan Gaunce - Although he posted similar points to Faksa in OHL this year, Gaunce projects to the NHL much more as a grinder defensive center than a two way guy like Faksa. He is big, physical, has decent hands, but the big question with him will be his offensive upside.
13. C Zemgus Girgensons - He is a bit of project, but Girgensons (who is headed to U of Vermont for 4 years or less) will have plenty of time in college. He has the size and hockey sense to be a great twoway center, with some skating, hands, positioning, defensive awareness and from what I hear leadership.
14. D Cody Ceci - Has good size, but is more known for his skating, passing and shooting as an offensive guy. He is not overly physical, but does play the body. I don't know, something with him, he has never caught me as a top top end prospect.
Tier 4
15. D Olli Maata - Very smart defenseman, has great hockey sense, but his skills are just average. I know I earlier said skill can be developed, but I am not sure if they will develop enough for Maata to ever be a top end defenseman. He is a "safe" pick that will likely be a key role player (3-6 defenseman) but not sold on top pairing potential
16. G Andrei Vasilevski - Maybe a bit early, but I think with his size and speed Vasilevski will be a very quality starter someday. Unlike Campbell he has the regular season resume to back his WJC, he is a great young goalie.
17. C Tomas Hertl - A very very smart player with slick hands, Hertl was the top player on his men's team in the Czech Republic last year, Hertl has elite offensive upside. I think his skill set is well suited to the NHL game, Hertl is smart and elusive.
18. D Slater Koekkoek - He is a guy that is rising hard on my rankings, he is a very effective twoway defenseman. An injury took him out much of the season, but has the size and skill.
19. D Hampus Lindholm - This guy is another smart safe defenseman, he put up great points at the junior level and showed a smart safe game with a solid first pass at the Allsvenskan.
Tier 5
20. RW Martin Frk - Struggled all season with concussion symptoms, but returned late in the season and played well. Struggled in playoffs somewhat though. Could be a young Dustin Brown though, he has a great skill set.
21. D Matthew Finn - Not really sure what to make of this guy. Had great stats, wore an "A" at just 17, but has no real wow factor. Honestly, have not seen much of him, he is a wildcard in my book.
22. RW Stefan Matteau - This is a guy that gets overlooked much too much, IMO. He has great size, plays with an edge, great hands, has all the makings of a nice young power forward. Consistency is a major concern (as it is with ALL young power forwards), but I like his upside.
23. C Henrik Samuelsson - Another power forward in the making, Samuelsson loves to play with an edge, and he has plenty of offensive upside too. He has great hands, drives the net, good on ice vision.
24. RW Sebastien Collberg - I don't believe the hype with this guy. He is little else than a set of wheels, which serves well enough for dominating juniors, but don't see it translating well to NHL. More likely Kirill Koltsov than Michael Grabner, IMO, but still will be a first rounder based on those wheels hoping something else will develop.
25. G Oscar Dansk - Plenty will tell you he is the best goalie in the draft, but I am not so certain. Dansk has just average size, he has been lights out at international tourneys this year and looked very good during the season. He plays very well positionally, rarely caught out of position. Spent time in NA with Shattucks St. Marys.
Tier 6
26. D Jordan Schmaltz - Smooth skater, committed to defense this year and saw his already impressive offensive totals plateau in the USHL, but next year he moves on to UND. He has great potential as a puck moving defenseman.
27. D Ludvig Bystrom - Does not have countryman Lindholm's composure or size, but Bystrom is a solid prospect in his own right. Hits well, jumps up in the play well, he may be a impact player at the next level.
28. D Derrick Pouliot - Not really a fan of Pouliot. He may well end up the next Mike Green or he may never play an NHL game. Skates well, good shot, runs the PP, but his defensive zone is terrible. Not sold on his skill set being able to translate to the next level.
29. LW Phillip Di Giuseppe - Saw his level of play drop off considerably in the 2nd half of the year which will badly hurt his draft stock, but he is a very smart player and put up great numbers for one of the youngest players in the NCAA.
30. C Cristoval Nieves - Here's a name many may not recognize, but he is a smart playmaking center with great size out of Kent School that is committed to U of Michigan. He is a very smart player with great on-ice vision.

Next 30
31. RW Thomas Wilson
32. LW Tanner Pearson
33. RW Tim Bozon
34. C Colton Sissons
35. D Damon Severson
36. C Scott Laughton
37. C Lukas Sutter
38. D Jake McCabe
39. G Malcolm Subban
40. D Michael Matheson
41. D Dalton Thrower
42. LW Nicolas Kerdiles
43. D Brady Skjei
44. D Ville Pokka
45. LW Pontus Aberg
46. C Mark Jankowski
47. C Gemel Smith
48. LW Matej Beran
49. C Jarrod Maidens
50. LW Anton Slepyshev
51. C Devin Shore
52. RW Tomas Hyka
53. C Zach Stepan
54. D Adam Pelech
55. C Brady Vail
56. LW Coda Gordon
57. LW Daniil Zharkov
58. D Dillion Fournier
59. LW Andreas Athanasiou
60. RW Matia Marcantuoni

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 05-24-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Ok, I think this will be my final list for the draft, if I was GM/Head Scout (which admittedly I am no scout but have seen most of the top players, highlights from plenty others, and scouting reports of some others). I have a bias towards the two things that are impossible to teach, size and hockey IQ. Skating, stickhandling, positioning, strength, speed can be taught/improved on but size and hockey IQ do not develop like other skills, those skills can't be taught. I have also separated the players into "tiers" where I think there is a drop off of talent for the first 30. So here it is.

Tier 1
1. RW Nail Yakupov - Clear #1, the has the entire package, will be an NHL star in a few years.
2. C Mikhail Grigorenko - Sliding on some lists, I don't buy it. The guy is the complete package, offense/defense, good size, skates well, I think he will be a player.
3. D Ryan Murray - Rounding the first "tier" of players for me is Murray who is just a smart, smooth defenseman. He will be solid player as soon as next year, he has great upside as twoway defenseman. Not overly physical, but smart, never out of position, freat first pass, pretty much no weaknesses here.
Tier 2
4. RW Filip Forsberg - Another player with high hockey IQ, Forsberg plays a strong puck protection game with good speed and great instincts. I think his game will translate really well to the NHL.
5. C Alex Galchenyuk - I am not sold completely on Galchenyuk. He has unreal hands, smooth player, but for some reason I keep thinking "Sam Gagner" with this guy. Not sure how his game will translate to NHL, much as Gagner has not been able to become a true top 6 center.
6. C Radek Faksa - I realize that I am biased towards this guy, but I just love the skill set here. His size, skating, hands and hockey IQ are just so so good, I love the way he projects for the NHL game. I don't like the Hanzal comparaisons I keep hearing since I think Faksa has loads more offensive potential, maybe a more physical but not as smooth skating Kopitar type. I am really really hoping the Jets take him.
7. D Jacob Trouba - Yup, I think that this guy is the 2nd best defenseman in the draft. He is a very smart player, very safe, but with plenty of skill to develop into an elite player. He is not somebody you throw in the lineup next year or 3, but he has fantastic upside.
8. LW Teuvo Teravainen - I think he is gaining a little more traction than he should (people are talking top 5 for him now), but he has a very high hockey IQ, very elusive player with great hands. Is an offensive first guy, but his offensive ceiling is very high.
9. D Griffin Reinhart - Has the size and skill needed but the big question is whether the drive is there. His inconsistency and shyness for consistent physical play at his size is somewhat concerning, but he would far be from the first junior player to overcome that. He has Norris potential, but might not be more than a 5/6, high risk, high reward player.
Tier 3
10. D Morgan Reilly - His smooth skating and nice passing make him attractive, but I am not sold on his longterm potential as a twoway defenseman. His defensive game needs work.
11. D Matthew Dumba - I have little love for him. He strikes me as a junior player, somebody who depends on skating and physicality that will not translate well to the pro game.
12. C Brendan Gaunce - Although he posted similar points to Faksa in OHL this year, Gaunce projects to the NHL much more as a grinder defensive center than a two way guy like Faksa. He is big, physical, has decent hands, but the big question with him will be his offensive upside.
13. C Zemgus Girgensons - He is a bit of project, but Girgensons (who is headed to U of Vermont for 4 years or less) will have plenty of time in college. He has the size and hockey sense to be a great twoway center, with some skating, hands, positioning, defensive awareness and from what I hear leadership.
14. D Cody Ceci - Has good size, but is more known for his skating, passing and shooting as an offensive guy. He is not overly physical, but does play the body. I don't know, something with him, he has never caught me as a top top end prospect.
Tier 4
15. D Olli Maata - Very smart defenseman, has great hockey sense, but his skills are just average. I know I earlier said skill can be developed, but I am not sure if they will develop enough for Maata to ever be a top end defenseman. He is a "safe" pick that will likely be a key role player (3-6 defenseman) but not sold on top pairing potential
16. G Andrei Vasilevski - Maybe a bit early, but I think with his size and speed Vasilevski will be a very quality starter someday. Unlike Campbell he has the regular season resume to back his WJC, he is a great young goalie.
17. C Tomas Hertl - A very very smart player with slick hands, Hertl was the top player on his men's team in the Czech Republic last year, Hertl has elite offensive upside. I think his skill set is well suited to the NHL game, Hertl is smart and elusive.
18. D Slater Koekkoek - He is a guy that is rising hard on my rankings, he is a very effective twoway defenseman. An injury took him out much of the season, but has the size and skill.
19. D Hampus Lindholm - This guy is another smart safe defenseman, he put up great points at the junior level and showed a smart safe game with a solid first pass at the Allsvenskan.
Tier 5
20. RW Martin Frk - Struggled all season with concussion symptoms, but returned late in the season and played well. Struggled in playoffs somewhat though. Could be a young Dustin Brown though, he has a great skill set.
21. D Matthew Finn - Not really sure what to make of this guy. Had great stats, wore an "A" at just 17, but has no real wow factor. Honestly, have not seen much of him, he is a wildcard in my book.
22. RW Stefan Matteau - This is a guy that gets overlooked much too much, IMO. He has great size, plays with an edge, great hands, has all the makings of a nice young power forward. Consistency is a major concern (as it is with ALL young power forwards), but I like his upside.
23. C Henrik Samuelsson - Another power forward in the making, Samuelsson loves to play with an edge, and he has plenty of offensive upside too. He has great hands, drives the net, good on ice vision.
24. RW Sebastien Collberg - I don't believe the hype with this guy. He is little else than a set of wheels, which serves well enough for dominating juniors, but don't see it translating well to NHL. More likely Kirill Koltsov than Michael Grabner, IMO, but still will be a first rounder based on those wheels hoping something else will develop.
25. G Oscar Dansk - Plenty will tell you he is the best goalie in the draft, but I am not so certain. Dansk has just average size, he has been lights out at international tourneys this year and looked very good during the season. He plays very well positionally, rarely caught out of position. Spent time in NA with Shattucks St. Marys.
Tier 6
26. D Jordan Schmaltz - Smooth skater, committed to defense this year and saw his already impressive offensive totals plateau in the USHL, but next year he moves on to UND. He has great potential as a puck moving defenseman.
27. D Ludvig Bystrom - Does not have countryman Lindholm's composure or size, but Bystrom is a solid prospect in his own right. Hits well, jumps up in the play well, he may be a impact player at the next level.
28. D Derrick Pouliot - Not really a fan of Pouliot. He may well end up the next Mike Green or he may never play an NHL game. Skates well, good shot, runs the PP, but his defensive zone is terrible. Not sold on his skill set being able to translate to the next level.
29. LW Phillip Di Giuseppe - Saw his level of play drop off considerably in the 2nd half of the year which will badly hurt his draft stock, but he is a very smart player and put up great numbers for one of the youngest players in the NCAA.
30. C Cristoval Nieves - Here's a name many may not recognize, but he is a smart playmaking center with great size out of Kent School that is committed to U of Michigan. He is a very smart player with great on-ice vision.

Next 30
31. RW Thomas Wilson
32. LW Tanner Pearson
33. RW Tim Bozon
34. C Colton Sissons
35. D Damon Severson
36. C Scott Laughton
37. C Lukas Sutter
38. D Jake McCabe
39. G Malcolm Subban
40. D Michael Matheson
41. D Dalton Thrower
42. LW Nicolas Kerdiles
43. D Brady Skjei
44. D Ville Pokka
45. LW Pontus Aberg
46. C Mark Jankowski
47. C Gemel Smith
48. LW Matej Beran
49. C Jarrod Maidens
50. LW Anton Slepyshev
51. C Devin Shore
52. RW Tomas Hyka
53. C Zach Stepan
54. D Adam Pelech
55. C Brady Vail
56. LW Coda Gordon
57. LW Daniil Zharkov
58. D Dillion Fournier
59. LW Andreas Athanasiou
60. RW Matia Marcantuoni
Wow. Excellent.

The only guy that i'm wondering about, at all, which may be slightly contrary to your analysis, is Morgan Rielly.

Haven't seen him a lot, but his offensive game (we've all heard the Coffey/Karlsson comparisons) just has him projecting a bit higher for me - maybe into the tier 2 you've listed. He controls the play offensively, and pushes the play, which is something not alot of players have (or do). You're right about the defensive side, but i wonder if that can be taught - enough to get by. The injury may scare some away too.

The rest, though, looks good. Faksa would be a nice pick. Having Scheifele, Faska, Burmi, Cormier down the middle, in the future, might be the envy of a lot of teams. Though, i get the sense Burmi will be long gone by then.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 05-24-2012 at 01:15 AM. Reason: forgot Zharkov in quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:13 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
Amazing job Holden.

Really thorough, I agree with pretty much everything there. I'd have Hertl higher, but that's complete bias on my part, I think he'll turn into a hell of an NHLer.

I also think Nic Kerdiles' U18 campaign really boosted his stock. Definitely enough for him to be going in the first round.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:11 AM
mondo3

Interesting read - looks like the Jets should be able to get one of your tier 2 players

Old
05-24-2012, 03:20 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Thanks for the good read =) Enjoyed it very much. I am all aboard the Faksa-train since a moment and hope we can draft him.

Old
05-24-2012, 07:57 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Good work Holden

I think this could be one of the weirdest drafts we have seen in a while.....I would love to be a fly on the wall in the TNSE war room and see "their list"

Old
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Honestly, having watched all of these people talk about Reinhart's lack of drive confuses me. Nobody (except maybe Rachinski and Peddle) worked harder than Reinhart did in the playoffs. There were multiple one goal games in which Reinhart threw himself in front of shots when Brossoit was out of position. Without Reinhart's hard work, I doubt the OK's would have won game 1 against the Winterhawks.

I know I'm biased, but this kid has a lot of heart. Bugs me to see people claiming he has no drive.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Thanks for the good read =) Enjoyed it very much. I am all aboard the Faksa-train since a moment and hope we can draft him.
agreed very much agreed, that was a great piece holden. I'm definitly riding, hell i may even be conducting the Faksa train at the moment. He's the guy i've been watching and hoping for the last 4 months.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Whileee

Did anyone watch Faksa in the playoffs? It seems that his production tailed off substantially compared to the regular season.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Good work Holden

I think this could be one of the weirdest drafts we have seen in a while.....I would love to be a fly on the wall in the TNSE war room and see "their list"
I don't remember the last time there was so little consensus on the ranking in the top-10. Outside of the top-3 (tier 1 in Holden's list), there's almost no agreement on rankings. Most probably consider Rielly and Dumba among the tier 2 players in that list. Spots 4-11 are pretty wide open.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
Honestly, having watched all of these people talk about Reinhart's lack of drive confuses me. Nobody (except maybe Rachinski and Peddle) worked harder than Reinhart did in the playoffs. There were multiple one goal games in which Reinhart threw himself in front of shots when Brossoit was out of position. Without Reinhart's hard work, I doubt the OK's would have won game 1 against the Winterhawks.

I know I'm biased, but this kid has a lot of heart. Bugs me to see people claiming he has no drive.
I haven't seen many people question his "lack of drive" and I have read most of this thread (I might have missed one or two posts about it). Speaking for myself my concern is his lack of natural physicality and aggressiveness. I like his big body as far as being able to absorb contact and not get pushed around but I have watched him in enough games now to say that for a big kid he doesn't seem to initiate contact very often. I have watched him trail guys into the corner and not use his body to separate them from the puck and kind of play it non contact style? When I heard Griffen models his game after Pronger I was excited and although I do like his smooth no panic style he doesn't seem to have Pronger's edge or nastiness and that is a huge part of Pronger’s game. I hope I am wrong and maybe playing the body can be coached into him. Dave Babych was one comparison used and Dave was a heck of a defenseman it’s just that although he was big he wasn't mean or physical. I don't expect the kid to run around the ice blowing everyone up but I was hoping he would be a big bodied guy that would finish checks physically (like Bogosian) when he has a chance and also make players pay for standing in front of our net (maybe Pronger’s best asset). Maybe he does do this and I have just not seen it yet?

To be clear I have no problem with our team drafting him if he is there when we pick he seems to have a very nice skill set.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:57 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Did anyone watch Faksa in the playoffs? It seems that his production tailed off substantially compared to the regular season.
He got leveled and was out with a concussion for a number of games.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post

He played really well in playoffs for sure. Has really helped his draft stock on this Memorial Cup run. It is over the long season he has had a problem with taking shifts or games off at times. It's not heart so much as simply consistency. Will it come around with time? Perhaps, hopefully it does for the kid, but perhaps not. When you combine with the fact that he is not overly physical, which is a great way to do something when your off your game and a great way to start to turn your game around, it's hard to say whether he will be an elite defenseman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
It did. As was mentioned before part of that was the concussion. Another big part was the London Knights. The entire Kitchener team struggled during that series, Daniel Catennecci who had 24pts in just 12 games up to that point got just 3 pts in the 4 game sweep. Faksa got 0 points and was a -4. A bit concerning no doubt, but I think that Faksa will be healthier next year and have learned alot from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I don't remember the last time there was so little consensus on the ranking in the top-10. Outside of the top-3 (tier 1 in Holden's list), there's almost no agreement on rankings. Most probably consider Rielly and Dumba among the tier 2 players in that list. Spots 4-11 are pretty wide open.
Yeah I know most would include Reilly and Dumba in the "tier 2", but I am not a fan of either, Dumba especially. Honestly, I would rather the Jets take Gaunce, Girgensons, Ceci or probably even Maata or Hertl over Dumba. Just not convinced his skill set is well suited to the NHL game. As for Reilly, I do not like taking a player that high that projects into a one way defenseman (offensive or defensive). I am not convinced Reilly is the next Karlsson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Amazing job Holden.

Really thorough, I agree with pretty much everything there. I'd have Hertl higher, but that's complete bias on my part, I think he'll turn into a hell of an NHLer.

I also think Nic Kerdiles' U18 campaign really boosted his stock. Definitely enough for him to be going in the first round.
Hertl is a hard one. I am a big fan of the kid and wanted to move him higher, but just couldn't. He could maybe jump Maata and Vasilevski, but I don't think he could move into the next tier ahead. He is a great young player and could end up being a mid round steal, that's for sure.

As for Kerdiles, it is possible. He is getting lots of talk right now, he has good wheels, strong down low and is committed to a great program at Wisconsin. The big question will be is if he translates to the NHL game as a scoring player. He does not possess elite offensive skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Wow. Excellent.

The only guy that i'm wondering about, at all, which may be slightly contrary to your analysis, is Morgan Rielly.

Haven't seen him a lot, but his offensive game (we've all heard the Coffey/Karlsson comparisons) just has him projecting a bit higher for me - maybe into the tier 2 you've listed. He controls the play offensively, and pushes the play, which is something not alot of players have (or do). You're right about the defensive side, but i wonder if that can be taught - enough to get by. The injury may scare some away too.

The rest, though, looks good. Faksa would be a nice pick. Having Scheifele, Faska, Burmi, Cormier down the middle, in the future, might be the envy of a lot of teams. Though, i get the sense Burmi will be long gone by then.
Yeah, I am not sold that Reilly will be nearly as dominant at the NHL level. I am sure his defensive game will improve somewhat, but I am not convinced that he will have near as much success as Karlsson has had and as I said I am not a huge fan of taking defensemen that early that are only one way guys.

Old
05-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Great list, the only thing that jumped out at me were Kerdiles and Matteau who I'd probably swap. I think Kerdiles' upside is a bit higher and Matteau's apparent issue's with playing with discipline worry me a bit. Hopefully playing for his dad in the Q next year he can work through some of that.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Can't disagree with you Holden when it comes to Trouba. Isn't much not to like about the kid and I actually love the fact that he is going the NCAA route. I feel like it's a step above CHL which can be good for his development and will also allow him to take his time. Kid won't be rushed most likely and will be sharper when he makes the jump to the pro level.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:40 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

This is OT but I got the McKeen's draft guide this year and they have the top prospects for 2013 and 2014 in there as well. Wow, there looks to be some massive studs high in those drafts.

2013 - Nathan MacKinnon - trending to follow in Crosby's footsteps and born extremely late for that draft year (Sept 1995).

2014 - Aaron Ekblad - played D this past season in Barrie with Sheif and Telegin at age 15!!! He's already 6'3" and 210lbs and logged over 25 minutes per game.

If I could pick between having Yakupov and either of these 2, Yakupov would be a distant 3rd place. Obviously those drafts are a long way off and things could change, but their scouting reports are scary good.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:48 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
This is OT but I got the McKeen's draft guide this year and they have the top prospects for 2013 and 2014 in there as well. Wow, there looks to be some massive studs high in those drafts.

2013 - Nathan MacKinnon - trending to follow in Crosby's footsteps and born extremely late for that draft year (Sept 1995).

2014 - Aaron Ekblad - played D this past season in Barrie with Sheif and Telegin at age 15!!! He's already 6'3" and 210lbs and logged over 25 minutes per game.

If I could pick between having Yakupov and either of these 2, Yakupov would be a distant 3rd place. Obviously those drafts are a long way off and things could change, but their scouting reports are scary good.
How is the guide?

2013 could be good for us. Our extra 2nd from not signing Leveille (59th pick), plus the Chicago 2nd and 3rd look really good.

4 picks in the top 60 and 6 in the top 90.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
How is the guide?

2013 could be good for us. Our extra 2nd from not signing Leveille (59th pick), plus the Chicago 2nd and 3rd look really good.

4 picks in the top 60 and 6 in the top 90.
I agree we're set up really well for 2013. I hope Chevy can turn some of our expiring contracts into even more picks at the deadline too.

It's my first one so I don't have much to compare to but I think it's good. They have write-ups for the top 120 from 2012 (1/2 page each for the top 60 and 1/4 page each for 61-120). They also have a bunch of write-ups on other honorable mentions and sleepers for 2012. And finally, they have write-ups for the top 32 from 2013 and the top 12 from 2014.

I've been buying McKeen's hockey pool magazine every year for a long time and I think it's the best one on the market so I decided to take a chance on their draft guide and I think it was worth it.

Even going further OT, I buy the CI package every year and I wish like hell they would show some CHL games on there. I'd love to be able to watch these prospects more with my own eyes instead of relying on scouting reports.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I agree we're set up really well for 2013. I hope Chevy can turn some of our expiring contracts into even more picks at the deadline too.
I sure as hell hope not. I want the Jets to be a competitive team next year . We make the right moves and we should be a 6-8 team next year, and we will need veterans like Antropov, Hainsey, Enstrom in playoffs.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
I sure as hell hope not. I want the Jets to be a competitive team next year . We make the right moves and we should be a 6-8 team next year, and we will need veterans like Antropov, Hainsey, Enstrom in playoffs.
If we're competitive pre-deadline, then I agree with you. I don't hold out the same optimism that you do for the upcoming season. That's not to say I'm not desperately hoping I'm wrong.

I don't think we have a strong enough base built yet to lauch us into perennial contender status starting this year. We need a couple more strong drafts and some time for our 20ish year olds to become 24ish year olds.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Stej: 05-24-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old
05-24-2012, 11:38 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Don't have the same confidence in Antro that you have, that he's all that necessary in a playoff run, but i agree with the premise.

2013 may be a very important draft year - 4 picks in top 60, 6 in top 90. And if there is a lockout this fall for the entire season, i'm assuming that draft will follow the same format as 2005- though that might not be the case.

We likely would have a decent chance at picking near the top of the draft, based on our previous non-playoff seasons (if they use the last 3 yr window, again). But, since the lottery in '05 went picks #1 thru to 30, then snaked back and #30 picked 31, #29 picked 32, etc. - a 2nd round Chicago pick might be really good (or poor depending on where they are selected in the lottery), while a 2nd round Jets pick wouldn't be as good if they finished in bottom 10, etc.

Hopefully there's a season and the Jets make the playoffs... And Chicago doesn't.

Old
05-25-2012, 11:43 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
My final WHL draft ranking is up, which covers the top 15 players from the WHL. I have previously ranked players 16-90 as well. Let me know if you have any questions by following me on Twitter or posting them here!

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/20...12-nhl_25.html

Closed Thread