Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2012, 01:12 AM
Wpgpage

vCash: 500
I like Wilson as well, hopefully if the Jets are able to grab another second round pick it could be used on him. What are peoples thoughts on Galchenyuk? If he's still there at around 6/7 I would love to see Chevy make a trade to move up and take him. Had he played this year I think he could have gone top 5 maybe even top 3. A trade with the Islanders might make sense for both teams.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:14 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Kinda OT but we're doing a mock draft in this thread and Winnipeg is available. Along with other teams. Just post in the thread I posted if you're interested. I'd prefer it if we start as soon as possible so if you'd be interested in picking for another team that would help us get things underway faster. Thanks.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post43697559

Old
02-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Kinda OT but we're doing a mock draft in this thread and Winnipeg is available. Along with other teams. Just post in the thread I posted if you're interested. I'd prefer it if we start as soon as possible so if you'd be interested in picking for another team that would help us get things underway faster. Thanks.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post43697559
Snagged.

Old
02-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
I like Wilson as well, hopefully if the Jets are able to grab another second round pick it could be used on him. What are peoples thoughts on Galchenyuk? If he's still there at around 6/7 I would love to see Chevy make a trade to move up and take him. Had he played this year I think he could have gone top 5 maybe even top 3. A trade with the Islanders might make sense for both teams.
If Galchenyuk fell to us, I think that would be great. If not, it's tough to tell as it appears that picks after around 8 or so could go either way depending on the opinions of the teams scouts.

I personnaly would love to land Galchenyuk, but I would also be happy with Reinhart, Trouba, or Ceci if he was gone. I also wouldn't be too upset if we were picking in the 10 or so range and landed a guy like Faksa. Looks like he has a lot of skill and has good size.

I liked the idea of possibly getting Wilson in the 2nd, but with McKenzie's ranking of him at 20, that doesn't seem likely.

A guy I was secretly hoping would fall to us in the 2nd as well was Hertl.

Old
02-08-2012, 10:48 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

To me, Hertl screams Red Wings. He seems like their kind of player. And yes, I would be very happy if we managed to snag him in the 2nd.

Does anyone think Chevy may target Pearson and would that be wise? I mean I wouldn't mind landing him with a 2nd, but if Chevy manages to trade an asset for another late 1st would anyone oppose to that selection if players like Hertl, Frk, Teravainen or Finn (possible riser on D-day) are still on the board?

Another Barrie Colts' player would almost seem as though our scouting staff continues going back to the same well instead of scouring the other teams/leagues for potential players. Is there a such thing as over scouting any one player to the point of not seeing his flaws?

Just some food for thought.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Wpgpage

Hertl, Frk, Teravainen or Finn

Would rather have any of those 4 than Pearson I like Pearson quite a bit actually but not at the top of the 2nd, end of 2nd to top of 3rd is where I would be interested in picking Pearson.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Generally speaking, I'm usually skeptical about drafting European players that haven't developed in North America in the early rounds. As talented as some of them are, NA style competition is much different than what they would face in the SEL, SM-Liiga, KHL, etc. It's also harder to come over and adapt at a later age and if they don't make it right away, sometimes they're not willing to put in the time in the minors to develop their game.

IMO, unless it's a "can't miss" prospect like Mikael Granlund, I'd rather they draft players out of the European leagues in the 4th round or later.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:12 AM
Huffer

I would be upset if we picked Pearson and better players were on the board because like you mentioned, I would question if our scouts were scouting everyone, or had their blinders on with respect to a select few teams.

Now, if our scouts think Pearson is better than the other players available, that's another story.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
TrentSteele

I'll preface this by saying I know very little about most of the junior players, but based on the writeups by Bob MacKenzie, I see Brendan Gaunce as the type of player the Jets would go after.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
Joe Hallenback

Depending on were we pick but if we are in the 10 to 15 range I would like to see us grab one of Morgan Reilly,Griffen Reinhart or Derrick Pouliot.

Old
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentSteele View Post
I'll preface this by saying I know very little about most of the junior players, but based on the writeups by Bob MacKenzie, I see Brendan Gaunce as the type of player the Jets would go after.
I too think Gaunce may be someone we target.

As for Pearson, watch us take him in the first round wherever we pick, I'm sure he'll get glowing praise from Hawerchuk. Then watch everyone freak out.

I'd be pissed, but it would be comical. Kind of. Maybe. Just for a minute or two.

02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I too think Gaunce may be someone we target.

As for Pearson, watch us take him in the first round wherever we pick, I'm sure he'll get glowing praise from Hawerchuk. Then watch everyone freak out.

I'd be pissed, but it would be comical. Kind of. Maybe. Just for a minute or two.
I agree.

If we take him with our first I will be pissed, and I think this place will just explode haha

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Old
02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Gotta say though, if we could draft Gaunce, I'd be more than happy.

Scheifele and Gaunce in back-to-back years, i'll take that potential any day of the week.

Old
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

I really want Girgensons if we're picking in the 10 - 14 range. He is my favorite prospect outside of the top 5 or 6. I'm pinning my hopes on him being a Jets pick right now.

Ceci wouldn't be bad in that range either.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Inflict
Viking

I have yet to read up on most of the prospects, but I do know that we need scoring help and more defensive depth with our prospects. Luckily this years draft is supposed to be filled with good defencemen, so I see us picking up a defender in the 1st round, maybe Pearson in the 2nd round (wishful thinking) or perhaps even attempt to move up in the draft to pick Ryan Murray or Dumba.

Last edited by Inflict: 02-08-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old
02-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I'm still hoping we take BPA, which is most likely a d-man. Minus Yakupov, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk and Frosberg, the forwards in this group really lack high end offensive ability.

Old
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Wpgpage

This really isn't a great draft not a lot of great prospects after the top 5 guys, picks 6-15 will be a pretty big question mark. Not to say there isn't talent theirs always talent just a little harder to find and longer to develop in this draft.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
This really isn't a great draft not a lot of great prospects after the top 5 guys, picks 6-15 will be a pretty big question mark. Not to say there isn't talent theirs always talent just a little harder to find and longer to develop in this draft.
I kind of disagree. 6-15, you're still very likely to get a great player who would likely be top 3 among Jets prospects.

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Murray
Forsberg (could fall as far as 9 IMO)
Dumba

6-15 v

Galchenyuk
Trouba
Faksa
Gaunce
Reinhart
Girgensons
Collberg
Aberg
Rielly
Vasilevsky
Subban

all potential top 6 forwards, top 4 defenders, starting goaltenders (though I believe Galchenyuk is a future top line center star, and Trouba will be a Shea Weber type defender)

after that the players start to be more of a crapshoot. I don't think the Jets can really go wrong no matter where they draft. And at the end of the day, drafts never go the way the rankings or mocks do. It's likely that a top end prospect takes a fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Depending on were we pick but if we are in the 10 to 15 range I would like to see us grab one of Morgan Reilly,Griffen Reinhart or Derrick Pouliot.
If I'm the Jets, I take Reinhart. Not only the safest pick of those 3, but very likely the best stay at home shut down D there is.

Rielly is so overrated it's painful. I roll my eyes every time he's compared to Duncan Keith.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Jet Bomber
\_(ツ)_/

I'm hoping somehow we get in a position to pick Forsberg.

Old
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I kind of disagree. 6-15, you're still very likely to get a great player who would likely be top 3 among Jets prospects.

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Murray
Forsberg (could fall as far as 9 IMO)
Dumba

6-15 v

Galchenyuk
Trouba
Faksa
Gaunce
Reinhart
Girgensons
Collberg
Aberg
Rielly
Vasilevsky
Subban

all potential top 6 forwards, top 4 defenders, starting goaltenders (though I believe Galchenyuk is a future top line center star, and Trouba will be a Shea Weber type defender)
Trouba lacks the offensive skills of a Chris Weber, not a good comparison IMO. Ceci is another player that should go in the 6-15 range and he's improved his play all season long.

Quote:
If I'm the Jets, I take Reinhart. Not only the safest pick of those 3, but very likely the best stay at home shut down D there is.

Rielly is so overrated it's painful. I roll my eyes every time he's compared to Duncan Keith.
I'm not really sure where you're getting this from? He may the best defensively between Reilly and Pouliot, but he's not the best stay at home defender in this draft. Reinhart needs to use his size better on the ice, which is not entirely impossible for him to do. IMO Reilly is definitely a player that should get a look from the Jets, with Enstrom's future not guaranteed. Reilly has high end offensive upside, good skating ability and vision. Besides missing most of this season, I don't see how he's overrated?

Old
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Trouba lacks the offensive skills of a Chris Weber, not a good comparison IMO. Ceci is another player that should go in the 6-15 range and he's improved his play all season long.

I'm not really sure where you're getting this from? He may the best defensively between Reilly and Pouliot, but he's not the best stay at home defender in this draft. Reinhart needs to use his size better on the ice, which is not entirely impossible for him to do. IMO Reilly is definitely a player that should get a look from the Jets, with Enstrom's future not guaranteed. Reilly has high end offensive upside, good skating ability and vision. Besides missing most of this season, I don't see how he's overrated?
Well...yeah for Winnipeg it makes sense to get Rielly. I had my Ducks needs in mind (too many offensive D's). But I don't see who is a better stay at home defenseman. Not Dumba, he hits really hard but he's been known to get burned. Not Trouba. I mean...maybe Trouba, but he has more of a two way game.

And on Trouba...don't rely on USHL stats to gauge a player's offensive game. The numbers there tend to be lower for defensemen in general. He's got great offensive instincts and talents.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Trouba reminds me somewhat of Jack Johnson.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Well...yeah for Winnipeg it makes sense to get Rielly. I had my Ducks needs in mind (too many offensive D's). But I don't see who is a better stay at home defenseman. Not Dumba, he hits really hard but he's been known to get burned. Not Trouba. I mean...maybe Trouba, but he has more of a two way game.

And on Trouba...don't rely on USHL stats to gauge a player's offensive game. The numbers there tend to be lower for defensemen in general. He's got great offensive instincts and talents.
I don't rely solely on numbers when judging any player. The numbers are only part of the equation and they don't always tell the entire story. Trouba is better defensively than Reinhart. Reinhart has better offensive upside than Trouba does, but that doesn't mean he reaches it. This year there are a lot of offensively talented d-men.

Old
02-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Trouba reminds me somewhat of Jack Johnson.
Except he's good defensively

Old
02-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

We need to take BPA, no more "being cute picks". I think there's a lot of good talent available when the Jets eventually pick

Closed Thread