Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Who wouldn't want a man named Griffin on our team?
His name sounds like he's a knight of the round table.

The noble Griffin Reinhart.

Old
03-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
His name sounds like he's a knight of the round table.

The noble Griffin Reinhart.
Sir Griffin Reinhart

Old
03-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I see a lot of posters that seem to be more interested in taking a forward over a d-man...any reason?
I'm fine with BPA myself. But looking at our prospects, it might appear that besides Scheifele we really don't have any other top 6 guys.

Quote:
I would love to see Trouba fall to us.

Would be amazing if that happened. I do believe Murray and Dumba will be the first D-men taken, afterwards Rielly/Reinhart/Trouba is more of a toss up.

I wouldn't mind us grabbing Ceci either.
I would be happy with those guys as well. Really seems like as far as the D men go, Reilly is a real wildcard. Much like Galchenyuk, he has missed most of the season as well. But from what I've read about the kid, he's supposed to have as much, or more raw offensive, and skating talent as any D man in the draft. Who knows, if he played the entire season, would he be number 1 (for D), or would he have struggled and dropped?

Old
03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Hansen Brother

This draft looks like a tough one for us. From what I read after maybe the top 5-6 there are a group of maybe 10 players who have strengths and weaknesses, were injured, etc. who are good but hard to identify which is better than the other. Ergo, BPA isn't very clear.

In that case you look through that group of 10 guys to see which one meets the most pressing need. I would say our most pressing need is a right winger, but the only one which looks like he would be in our range is Sebastian Colberg and he's tiny.

The other thing to consider is how good we think our defense prospects actually are. I know we have lots of them but what do we think is the ceiling for Kulda, Postma, Redmond, Yuen, and Melchiori (hope I spelled those all right)?

We have an opportunity to pick up a really high quality defense prospect, especially if lots of teams go for forwards.

Old
03-20-2012, 12:07 AM
jetkarma

One thing to look ahead to , is we should have three very fast , big wingers .

Kane , Wheeler and Telegin , could form a very nice , highly skilled , fast trio with size on the wing. Nice to build from.

Now to get a top tier center , which is really evident we currently are lacking.

Old
03-20-2012, 01:07 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
One thing to look ahead to , is we should have three very fast , big wingers .

Kane , Wheeler and Telegin , could form a very nice , highly skilled , fast trio with size on the wing. Nice to build from.

Now to get a top tier center , which is really evident we currently are lacking.

Didn't we draft one last year? Or was that the year before? The draft isn't about "currently", it's more about the "future". FA is about the "now".

Old
03-20-2012, 02:11 AM
Tintin's Ghost

First round you need to take BPA. Even in round 2. Rounds 3 thru 7 are to draft for positional need and the occasional homer pick for the fans.

Best player available means, as I take it, best skill set, best potential, and best character. The combination of these factors suggest which 18 yo will be able to figure it out best and make it as a quality player.

The Rangers drafted for need when they took Dylan McIlrath (sp?) 11th or 12th overall two years ago. McIlrath is very good but he is not even the best d-man on Moose Jaw. This year he is not even in their top 2. Don't draft for positional need because so much can change when they're still teenagers/young adults.

Whenever a team draft for need rather than BPA in the first round, it seldom works out. Actually, I cannot recall even on example of when it did in the last 4 drafts.

Old
03-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Rheged
JMFT

In Elliotte Frieman's 30 Thoughts for this week he mentions not only Columbus but Edmonton also to may be open to trading their first rounders.

Anyone interested in trading up for Yakupov/Grigorenko?

Old
03-20-2012, 11:07 AM
Wpgpage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
In Elliotte Frieman's 30 Thoughts for this week he mentions not only Columbus but Edmonton also to may be open to trading their first rounders.

Anyone interested in trading up for Yakupov/Grigorenko?
Would love to but with the drop off after the first 2 picks (maybe 3 picks now) they can charge a kings ransom to move up. Have a feeling one team will bite and will hugely overpay.

Old
03-20-2012, 02:48 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
[/B]

Didn't we draft one last year? Or was that the year before? The draft isn't about "currently", it's more about the "future". FA is about the "now".
We drafted a center we HOPE will be that but have no assurance he indeed will be. Fingers crossed of course and truly hopeful , but as of right now , we don't have one do we?

Old
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Speaking of taking the BPA, I wonder if Malcolm Subban would be worth taking in the 2nd round. I haven't looked at his goaltending stats recently, but he was amongst the leaders earlier in the year. Supposedly he could be the best Canadian goalie drafted since Mason in 2006.

Old
03-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Speaking of taking the BPA, I wonder if Malcolm Subban would be worth taking in the 2nd round. I haven't looked at his goaltending stats recently, but he was amongst the leaders earlier in the year. Supposedly he could be the best Canadian goalie drafted since Mason in 2006.
Mason's not even the best in his draft class...?

For goalies I much prefer Vasilevski or even Dansk.

Old
03-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
To be honest I would much rather take Oscar Dansk. As the best goaltender available.

Another later steal goalie I have my eye on is Jon Gillies. I think he could be available to us in the third.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
We drafted a center we HOPE will be that but have no assurance he indeed will be. Fingers crossed of course and truly hopeful , but as of right now , we don't have one do we?
We won't have one from this draft either, the C prospects are only potential until they prove otherwise (like Scheifele) . You want a 1C right now? Then you trade for one. Drafting should be for the future, and team needs change year to year.

Old
03-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
To be honest I would much rather take Oscar Dansk. As the best goaltender available.

Another later steal goalie I have my eye on is Jon Gillies. I think he could be available to us in the third.
I also like Dansk. If a goalie is clearly seen by management as BPA in the 2nd round, then I'd have no issues with the Jets taking one.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:46 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
We won't have one from this draft either, the C prospects are only potential until they prove otherwise (like Scheifele) . You want a 1C right now? Then you trade for one. Drafting should be for the future, and team needs change year to year.
Of course I want one right now , why wouldn't I? why wouldn't anyone that doesn't have one?

That wasn't said and isn't the point , this team has a HUGE hole at center and that is the area that is the weakest imo , pointing that out is wrong how?

We have some talent on the wings that could be quite a bit better with better centers. Getting a future productive C from this draft would be great , and if we want to trade for a really good border line 1st or 2nd line center I would shop Enstrom in a heartbeat .

You made the flippant remark , you think we actually have strength at center? I said nothing to dismiss the possibility that Scheifele may be a lower one or a two center. I sure as hell hope he is.

Old
03-20-2012, 11:49 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Of course I want one right now , why wouldn't I? why wouldn't anyone that doesn't have one?

That wasn't said and isn't the point , this team has a HUGE hole at center and that is the area that is the weakest imo , pointing that out is wrong how?

We have some talent on the wings that could be quite a bit better with better centers. Getting a future productive C from this draft would be great , and if we want to trade for a really good border line 1st or 2nd line center I would shop Enstrom in a heartbeat .

You made the flippant remark , you think we actually have strength at center? I said nothing to dismiss the possibility that Scheifele may be a lower one or a two center. I sure as hell hope he is.
So Enstrom is worth only slightly more then Bryan Little?

Old
03-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Enstrom's worth is right now at an all-time low. He is having arguably his worst season in the NHL and is only one year away from UFA. He is not a defensive stalwart, and his pace offensive is not great this year and overall has just been average. Right now his value is not that high.

Right now even at 6 I take Radek Faksa. This guy just oozes character and potential. I am starting to think he might be a Mike Richards part 2. 55-75 point two way center, that hits, PKs, PPs, works hard, captain material, blocks shots, sets up teammates, bascially the entire package (except Faksa is 4 inches, 30 pounds (when he's filled out) bigger). Yeah, this is the guy I want. Faksa - Scheifele - Burmistrov down the middle will be scary in a couple years.

Old
03-21-2012, 12:16 AM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Since when is Little a borderline 1C?

Enstrom is not anywhere the player he has been made out to be by some on here. Saying that you have to trade something of value to get something of value. If Enstrom , as you are intimating is worth substantially more , say a top 10 center , you think we shouldn't trade him for that?

Old
03-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Right now even at 6 I take Radek Faksa. This guy just oozes character and potential. I am starting to think he might be a Mike Richards part 2. 55-75 point two way center, that hits, PKs, PPs, works hard, captain material, blocks shots, sets up teammates, bascially the entire package (except Faksa is 4 inches, 30 pounds (when he's filled out) bigger). Yeah, this is the guy I want. Faksa - Scheifele - Burmistrov down the middle will be scary in a couple years.
If Faska is the guy our scouts think is the best when we pick, I would be down with that for all the reasons you mention above.

I think I would actually be ok with a number of players that "could" be available when we pick: Reily, Reinhart, Trouba, Faska, Gaunce, etc.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Enstrom's worth is right now at an all-time low. He is having arguably his worst season in the NHL and is only one year away from UFA. He is not a defensive stalwart, and his pace offensive is not great this year and overall has just been average. Right now his value is not that high.

I pretty well agree with you, Holden. I too like Faksa. He's got some real nice tools, as you mention. The character and potential, and at a solid 6'3" 203lbs already, he has a very good frame for the center position, or any position. Especially for a player of his game and skillset. Not to mention he comes from one of the BEST junior hockey programs (Kitchener) in all of Junior hockey.

This is just a little piece from his player profile on the Kitchener Rangers website. Very intriguing to see a player with this combination of tools.

Quote:
Faksa combines his speed and skill to be a constant threat. He is a strong skater and has excellent puck protection skills that he uses to drive the net. He is a highly rated prospet for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

For anyone interested in a Kitchener Rangers season ticket holders opinion on Faksa (in comparison to Gabriel Landeskog), check out this thread. Posts #6 an #8.

Sounds pretty good to me. A slightly more offensive Landeskog, yet less physical. I'll take that.

Old
03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
For anyone interested in a Kitchener Rangers season ticket holders opinion on Faksa (in comparison to Gabriel Landeskog), check out this thread. Posts #6 an #8.

Sounds pretty good to me. A slightly more offensive Landeskog, yet less physical. I'll take that.
Link?

Also, I read on a draft thread on another board that McKenzie stated that Faska could project as a winger in the NHL. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, just wondering if anyone else read it?

Old
03-21-2012, 09:46 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Well, I guess I better post the link.

Posts #6 and #8.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...aksa+landeskog

Here is another good thread too.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...aksa+landeskog

Old
03-21-2012, 10:08 AM