HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nikita Filatov to CSKA Moscow of KHL

Old
12-20-2011, 06:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Filatov has made is very clear to everyone since his forst pro season that he is not interested nor willing to play in the AHL. I think his entry level contract pays him $65k in the AHL and $875k in the NHL. A top flight Russian player like Nikita has the option to play in the KHL for as much or more than he would get in the NHL.

I can't blame him for wanting to go to his home, play for a team he has played for since his junior days for 10x as much as in Binghamton.
That's nice and dandy, but when he needs to learn how to play with teammates and his ultimate goal was to play at the NHL level, then he needs to go through the AHL just like any other young player and put in the time and effort. Just because he's Russian and he's played on the KHL's big stage doesn't mean he deserves anything if he can't put things together to play like a "top flight" young player.

I've said it before, if the rumours that he needed the money for a family affair are true, then that's acceptable, but if it's simply about DEMANDING to play in Ottawa or else... then see the above.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 10:55 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
not to mention Binghamton being a horrible team offensively this year.
They just got reigning MVP Corey Locke back, that would have been perfect for Filatov. They would have lit it up.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

People are being so critical but financially this is a smart move for him. If he has the talent he'll be back in the NHL. He probably has very little money currently saved and will get a much nicer payday in the KHL than he would spending the rest of the year in the AHL.

I don't know him personally and i'm sure pretty much every poster here doesn't either, so I find it a tad ridiculous that you are all crucifying him for a move that really isn't hard to understand.

If he really is attempting to provide for an extended family in Russia than even more power to him. Family>hockey.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
People are being so critical but financially this is a smart move for him. If he has the talent he'll be back in the NHL. He probably has very little money currently saved and will get a much nicer payday in the KHL than he would spending the rest of the year in the AHL.

I don't know him personally and i'm sure pretty much every poster here doesn't either, so I find it a tad ridiculous that you are all crucifying him for a move that really isn't hard to understand.

If he really is attempting to provide for an extended family in Russia than even more power to him. Family>hockey.
My complaint is that he keeps talking about being dedicated to playing in the NHL, but he's been unwilling to stick to the steps necessary to get used to the North American game and it's causing his game to suffer.

It's kind of depressing, actually.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 11:22 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:

All he had to do was go down to Binghamton and work on his defensive zone coverage/play without the puck and take the rest of the year to a)bulk up and b)take feeds from Corey Locke all day long, racking up the goals and points.

For someone of his talent level and supposed dedication to making the NHL, I'm disappointed in the situation, but happily realize we have many other nice forward prospects who will gladly pay the price to make the NHL.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
All he had to do was go down to Binghamton and work on his defensive zone coverage/play without the puck and take the rest of the year to a)bulk up and b)take feeds from Corey Locke all day long, racking up the goals and points.

For someone of his talent level and supposed dedication to making the NHL, I'm disappointed in the situation, but happily realize we have many other nice forward prospects who will gladly pay the price to make the NHL.
He also takes a paycut and risks injury. It's not like he goes down there and is guaranteed a call up.

You have no clue what his position is in life and while you may be annoyed since he is/was a good prospect for you guys, maybe this is what's best for him at the moment.

He gets to be close to his family, makes a lot more money than he would here and continues to work on his game in a decent league.

I'm not saying this is fact, but none of us know the real reason behind his decision and to speculate with spite is just unnecessary.

I feel like many are just basing it on the Russian stigma that has been left behind by guys like Zherdev.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 02:16 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
He only signed for the rest of the season.

He'll be back with the Sens next year.
not sure.. IMO he has a deal with CSKA for new contract... verbal of course

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 04:20 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
I remember Filatov having a hat trick in one of his first NHL games though
in his 6th career game he had one. 3 of 4 goals he scored that season. 3 of 6 career goals.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man I was drooling over Edmonton getting a chance to draft him.... what the hell?

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:

Again my point - it can be difficult to admit when your life goals have changed. I think that's where Filatov is at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
My complaint is that he keeps talking about being dedicated to playing in the NHL, but he's been unwilling to stick to the steps necessary to get used to the North American game and it's causing his game to suffer.

It's kind of depressing, actually.
Despite what he says, his actions say otherwise. I have no problem with his actions, but that's where the confusion and bitterness from fanbases is coming from.

Old
12-21-2011, 08:03 AM
TSA0402

I dont see how Filatov has handled this that poorly. Correct me if Im wrong, but all signs indicate that in Russia the AHL isnt viewed in nearly the regard of the KHL or SEL. More as a lower tier league. He continually refers to it as the farm. That doesnt paint a very good picture overall.

Look at it from his perspective. Why would you want to get paid less in a lower tier league. It also doesnt help when Filatov was being run in Binghamton every five games. I dont blame him.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:00 AM
axecrew

One thing no one has mentioned is this......This isn't the first time he's done the run back to Russia thing. He also did it when he played in columbus. Very selfish player who has the typical russian "sense of entitlement" attitude. Not willing to pay his dues and wants to be handed everything or I'm taking my ball and going home.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
One thing no one has mentioned is this......This isn't the first time he's done the run back to Russia thing. He also did it when he played in columbus. Very selfish player who has the typical russian "sense of entitlement" attitude. Not willing to pay his dues and wants to be handed everything or I'm taking my ball and going home.
I think Filatov is a total bust of a player and won't even be in the NHL for any real length of time again... but he gets paid more in Russia than he would in the NHL, let alone making 65,000 in the AHL.

Show me someone who turns down 1 million dollars to do the exact same job they are at now and do it at home with your friends and family, I'll show you the biggest idiot to ever walk the planet.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
DG

Quote:
...and continue to reinforce habits on larger ice that just don't work in North America...
Seriously. I'm not sure if he doesn't get it? Or doesn't care?

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
And really what's wrong with that?

If he wants to come back to North America and excel in the best league in the world, I'm sure he knows that he'll have to pay his dues. Great talent, never got in the right groove across the pond.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Guy averaged about ppg in the AHL.

Should have stayed there but I heard he is trying to provide for his extended family back in Russia.

What do they pay you at the AHL, like 50-100K a season? That is bare enough to provide for a middle class family here, let alone a playboy pro athlete.
i think he was making around 70k in the AHL. if that was the case, that's a pretty good salary. unless the family hes providing for is 37 people and they all sit around and drink vodka all day and can't pay rent.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Muuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
i think he was making around 70k in the AHL. if that was the case, that's a pretty good salary. unless the family hes providing for is 37 people and they all sit around and drink vodka all day and can't pay rent.
He will get at least 10 times more money with CSKA. + Being able to live in his homeland. I'd take that over bus league any day.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 11:11 AM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Indeed. He's Ottawa property. If he ever decides to come back, he'll return to the Senators and they can do what they want with him, that is unless they trade him before he even comes back.
This all seems so familiar...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:08 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
...and continue to reinforce habits on larger ice that just don't work in North America...
Agreed. This is exactly the same issue as several other players. One great example is Rundlad. He has wonderful offensive potential, but he really struggles in his own end and isn't accustomed to tight spaces.

Filatov has to make a decision. Should he abandon his attempts to become an NHL player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
That's nice and dandy, but when he needs to learn how to play with teammates and his ultimate goal was to play at the NHL level, then he needs to go through the AHL just like any other young player and put in the time and effort. Just because he's Russian and he's played on the KHL's big stage doesn't mean he deserves anything if he can't put things together to play like a "top flight" young player.

I've said it before, if the rumours that he needed the money for a family affair are true, then that's acceptable, but if it's simply about DEMANDING to play in Ottawa or else... then see the above.
I know Filatov has said multiple times he wants to be an NHL player. His work ethic and his fear of getting hit say otherwise. I suspect he didn't realize just how brutal the NHL game can be, and frankly, the AHL is even more physical.

I understand most of us are NHL fans, but is it so bad for a player to decide he wants to play in the KHL? For Filatov, the money's better and the game much less physical. The open ice even makes him more dangerous.

Maybe Nikita is better built for the KHL game?

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 12:24 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Maybe Nikita is better built for the KHL game?
this

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
I understand most of us are NHL fans, but is it so bad for a player to decide he wants to play in the KHL?
[insert standard draft pick kvetch here]

(yes, yes, I know that debate's old and been rightfully dead for some time, but, y'know, head 'em off at the pass. )

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:13 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
[insert standard draft pick kvetch here]

(yes, yes, I know that debate's old and been rightfully dead for some time, but, y'know, head 'em off at the pass. )
Viqsi, Filatov should have been a known risk to anyone drafting him. Yes, he said all the right things. The great unknown is how well these big ice players adapt to the tighter spaces and more physical game on a North American rink. He is not a very large guy to begin with, and I don't believe he had a solid comprehension the sheer force of the hits in the NHL much less the AHL. Unless a player plays juniors in Canada or the US, it's a crapshoot. Some will translate really well while others will struggle. While I have no specific knowledge, I would bet Filatov was a target in the AHL, in his Syracuse and Springfield days as well as in Binghamton. I suspect that might have had something to do with his insistence his first year in North America on a call up to sit in the press box for the playoffs, instead of playing for his Syracuse team when they really needed his scoring. As you know, Filatov got his clock cleaned early last season. I believe there are plenty of players in the A looking to make a name for themselves and Nikita might have been seen as a great target: small, highly skilled "star material".

I think there is a good chance he didn't expect the regular physical beatings he took. Once he got them, his game badly suffered.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2011, 03:39 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
While I have no specific knowledge, I would bet Filatov was a target in the AHL, in his Syracuse and Springfield days as well as in Binghamton.
Well.. he was targeted with brutal hits twice in Binghamton, and once that idiot goon Lessard his own teammate drilled him from behind in during a practice scrimmage(I wish I was making this up).

Right now he is better off in the KHL. IMO Filatov happy is worth a 3rd round pick for Sens. Murray still did good on that. His upside is still there, although its possible he might only achieve it through the KHL. But he has remained committed to making the NHL this whole time.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 09:58 AM
KOL86

Quote:
THIS.

As a fan of Columbus, the first time Filatov did this I supported him 200%. I made every excuse in the book possible for his decision and defended him like many others are doing here. But after last season, demanding a trade and this season heading back to the KHL after 2 months - I am no longer his supporter. Don't hate the guy at all but he is selfish, overhyped and takes the easy road IMO. If I believed he gave 110% during his time in Ottawa and was handed rough breaks time and time again, then I could support this decision. Instead, I believe things didn't go the way he had hoped and he had his back-up plan in the back of his mind.

He hasn't helped himself. Part of adjusting to North America is a mental adjustment. Accepting that this is your home for the next 8 months and telling yourself that you're going to make the most of it - both professionally and personally. The guy was always on the Internet before games, after games, before practices, after practices talking about girl drama in Moscow, friends in Moscow, or how much he missed Moscow. I get it, he's a 21 year old kid, but stuff like that isn't going to help him. Whenever there was a community event, he would not be there. Whenever there was a fan event, he would show up for an hour or two. He didn't seem to be hanging out alot with the other young guys like most young prospects do. It didn't help that he had Sergei Nemchinov at CSKA telling him everyday that he was welcome back anytime!

IMO Nemchinov only cares about how CSKA finishes in the KHL and how much money he makes. Unlike Murray who cares about Filatov's happiness and development, Nemchinov didn't care to give him a chance in the NHL. He wanted to sign him to a lengthier deal with CSKA. With a GM like that, I have my doubts he's going to develop into a well-rounded player with the "team" mentality that you need for NA hockey.

It's funny because if you read the Russian articles about Filatov's contract drama, alot of Russian fans say the same thing as we do. Who is this guy? Why is there so much trouble over a player who hasn't proved his worth? Nemchinov touts Filatov as being a star who's going to play in the World Cup and Olympics. Compared to the standout stars of the KHL AND the NHL, I'd say his chances are pretty slim right now.

KOL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:07 AM
KOL86

And why does everyone blame the organization for Filatov's drama? When he was in Columbus first it was Hitchcock's fault, then last season it was Springfield's coaching system, then Howson's, this season it's Murray or MacLean or Bingo's development, and now with his contract drama in CSKA it's Nemchinov's fault.

Also funny that Filatov played for Russia's WJC squad for 3 years in a row, captaining in his last two (finishing 3rd and 4th respectively). It was Nemchinov himself who stripped the "C" off of Filatov's jersey during their final game. The next year, no Filatov, and the Russians make an incredible "team" comeback game after game to finally take home the Gold.

KOL86 is offline   Reply With Quote