HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Just make the playoffs...

Old
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
larek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
When will people get it through there head there are 30 teams in the NHL trying to win a cup, making the playoffs is a huge step after that anything can happen especially with the parody in the league today.

Habs fans especially the negative ones on here are pathetic, they have this idea that Montreal is entitled to something better or that the next GM will be much improved when reality is that it most likely wont, players still don't want to come here and there are 29 other teams in the NHL who are trying just as hard.
terrible management and terrible idea of the type of hockey team Montreal should have- has nothing to do with other teams- and entitlement- what a silly idea!

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
When will people get it through there head there are 30 teams in the NHL trying to win a cup, making the playoffs is a huge step after that anything can happen especially with the parody in the league today.
Do you honestly believe this team is built to go the distance? Every now and then an inferior team will have a Cinderella run and make it to the conference final(such as the 2010 Habs), but most of the time the final 4 consists of teams that finished top 4 in their conference. We should be aiming to build an elite team one piece at a time, instead of trying to sneak into the post season every year.

I hate the word parity, are the Habs at par with Chicago, Boston, San Jose, and Detroit?

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:32 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarmody View Post
Do you watch the games or just the standings?

Real talk..
On a side note - aren't you dead?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrule View Post
All I want is for the Habs to make the playoffs. With how bad of a season has been the Habs are only two points out of the playoffs with 48 games left to play.

Take a look at the roster and tell me that they can not do damage if they have a fully healthy roster.

Gionta-Plekanec-Cammalleri
Paccioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Moen-Nokolainen-White
x-Darche, Blunden, Leblanc

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Emelin
Gorges-Gill
x-Diaz, Weber, Campoli

That defense would be one of the best in the NHL.

I think that if we just make the playoffs we could do some damage.

What do you guys think?
problem here is we have gionta, cammy, gomez, all small, all have the bucks made, all don't want to do any dirty work and all couldn't give a rats ass about the team.
All three have to go before habs make the playoff's again.
Forget markov, gill is done, Pk is playing like a pee wee and we don't play emelin.
This is the worst ever habs team....ever

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoockeyrocks View Post
I guess im a rookie hockey fan, but I think have Carey Price, PK Subban, Max Pacioretty, and Josh Gorges is a good start. Plus Tomas Pleckanec and Lars Ellers are good secondary stars.

Getting rid of Cammalleri, Gomez and maybe a few others, and making room for new kids I believe will turn this franchise around

I think we get good offensive guys like Alex galchyuk, or even defense like murray, Montreal will be rocking the NHL in 2014 and on...

iobviously its not good enough-

Old
12-20-2011, 12:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I want our team to be like the Blackhawks, Red Wings, Sharks, Pens, Canucks, Flyers, Bruins that can aim at the Stanley Cup every year, at the start of the season.
All 30 teams aim for the Stanley Cup every year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I ascribe to the theory we could always do some damage in the right situation, but I'm sick of hoping to make the playoffs every year.

I'm downright tired of being on the bubble. Wish we could stop paying so much attention to the standings in late February/early March like other more fortunate teams...
Last year when we never dropped below 8th you were hoping? What about the year we finished 1st? Haha

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
I can infract for spoilers, you know.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:36 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
problem here is we have gionta, cammy, gomez, all small, all have the bucks made, all don't want to do any dirty work and all couldn't give a rats ass about the team.
All three have to go before habs make the playoff's again.
Forget markov, gill is done, Pk is playing like a pee wee and we don't play emelin.
This is the worst ever habs team....ever
its one of the worst- and really the hitting and physical play that this little team abhored form bigger opp teams has dwindled- and yet the team still sucks- the 3 amigo aquisition was the begginning of the end- you could see it when the gomez trade happened and the signings if you didnt have your habs blinders on

Old
12-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
All 30 teams aim for the Stanley Cup every year.
True, but some are better equipped to do it than others. The Habs are not near the same level as teams like Boston and Detroit.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:39 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I want the cup only if my team finish 1st in the standing....LMAO

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
MJN79

I would tend to agree normally that just making the playoffs would be great and hope for magic afterwards. I just don't see it this season with teams like Boston, Philly and Pens atop the Conference, these teams have complete package, offense, defense and great goaltending, a bit less for Philly but I feel their goaltending is better this year.

What I mean to say is that I find these 3 teams to be great and unless the Habs magically started playing like Gods, I cannot see them hanging around with the above mentioned contenders. The fact of the matter is, there is so much Price can do and as much as I think he is great, carrying his team against these teams will be a daunting task.

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:41 PM
bravehab

Send a message via MSN to bravehab
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
True, but some are better equipped to do it than others. The Habs are not near the same level as teams like Boston and Detroit.
is it true? there are teams that have no chance, they know it
many for years and years like the islanders
everyone is icing a team but a serious team not really

bravehab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
not many teams win a cup coming in 7th or 8th spot- usually a good team in the reg seaosn is a good team in the playoffs and wins the cup
check it out yourself

Old
12-20-2011, 12:42 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:43 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravehab View Post
is it true? there are teams that have no chance, they know it
many for years and years like the islanders
everyone is icing a team but a serious team not really
thats the same for the Canadiens- alot of fans dont want to say it

Old
12-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Kirk Muller

There is a few ways i look at the "just make the playoffs" attitude.

I do agree in the sense that any thing can happen when you make them no matter what team you have.

However, i sometimes get the feeling that this is ownership and managements team building philosophy which is something i HIGHLY am disturbed by. It seems like they are fully willing to make a team thats just good enough to make the playoffs. I dont see the strive to be a team like San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Pittsburgh usually Philly and teams like these who are continually in the top 4 in the Conference not struggling to just make the playoffs.

Montreal reminds me of the kid in school who does just enough to pass never reaching full potential.

Kirk Muller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

I do agree in the sense that any thing can happen when you make them no matter what team you have.

However, i sometimes get the feeling that this is ownership and managements team building philosophy which is something i HIGHLY am disturbed by. It seems like they are fully willing to make a team thats just good enough to make the playoffs. I dont see the strive to be a team like San Jose, Detroit, Vancouver, Pittsburgh usually Philly and teams like these who are continually in the top 4 in the Conference not struggling to just make the playoffs.

Montreal reminds me of the kid in school who does just enough to pass never reaching full potential.
I do agree in the sense that any thing can happen when you make them no matter what team you have.-- thats usually a fallacy

Old
12-20-2011, 12:49 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Seriously? The boat sinks in Titanic as well...

I meant no harm but the shows been over for like 10 days...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:50 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

More like the kid who almost everyone was always certain had potential but after years of being a C student all come to realize is just a dumb cluck who was busting his butt just to get that C. Except his parents of course, which is eerily similar to how the apologists are trying to hold this clearly pathetic team away from the wolves.

I say dinner time.

JimmyDarmody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
Boston was just "sneaking into the playoffs" just 2 yaers ago and a year later they won the cup.

Winning a cup doesn't magically happen, it's a process and I can't reacall a team going from non-playoffs to winning a cup.

Old
12-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Sign me up for "just make the playoffs". That's where the magic starts. I'll never understand fans who don't want to see their team make the playoffs.

It never *has* to be mutually exclusive with other progressive moves that make the team even better down the road. (And in fact, gaining playoff experience is part of the building process in and of itself, even during abbreviated playoff runs - or losses to the Bruins, etc).

Jacques Martin was fired with the Habs sneaking out a record just above .500 and the team well within striking distance of a playoff spot, despite another deluge of injury troubles. For example. No reason the team couldn't make other big changes at the management, coaching, or player personnel levels even after making the playoffs. If that's what you're hoping for.
There are no guarantees, but mentally it's about trying to get to the Cup. If I could break down my viewing of the Habs into 10 year windows, and given the choice of making the playoffs 10 out of 10 years or making the playoffs 5 out of 10 years but with a better team and better chance at a Cup in those 5 years I will take the 5/10 choice.

Having said that I buy a single lottery ticket every draw regardless of jackpot size. I have friends who buy $10 worth of tickets only when the pot goes above $20M . Neither of us have won a lottery.

I just don't think the NHL is a lottery, it's about skill and being strong in many areas and sometimes that means having success after a period of not having success.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Boston was just "sneaking into the playoffs" just 2 yaers ago and a year later they won the cup.

Winning a cup doesn't magically happen, it's a process and I can't reacall a team going from non-playoffs to winning a cup.
you have to build a good strong team to win a cup- something habs havnt done for many many years

Old
12-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
you have to build a good strong team to win a cup- something habs havnt done for many many years
So a team that went to the conference finals in 2010 and came within 1 goal(3 times) of taking out Boston is not strong?

Boston was "weak" in 09-10, what made them "strong" in 10-11...adding Kaberle Peverley and Kelly?

Old
12-20-2011, 01:20 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
That is not what people are saying.

If you reach the trade deadline and you are still out of a spot, you have to decide whether you want to sell assets to build something for the future, or if you want to keep it together to see if you can make the playoffs and make a miracle happen. The habs always seem to be in that position where the playoffs are conceivably within reach. So we never sell. And we watch UFA after UFA walk away for nothing.

In a salary cap world, you have to build from within to some degree. And while you can build from within without getting top picks, you increase your chances by moving up in the draft once in a while, and also collecting as many picks as you can.

Last edited by andy28: 12-20-2011 at 01:26 PM.
andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote